PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Cohort

Jallorn
2011-02-11, 08:38 PM
I'm building an Assassin (archetype, not class) cohort for an evil game where I'm playing a lich. All I've determined so far is that he's level 13, and that he's the head of my cabal of stealth types (most of my followers)

I need some advice on the build. I'm open to ToB, but I already have a lot of bookkeeping for my spells, and I'm not very experienced with ToB, so I'd prefer to stay away from it. I am thinking some levels of Assassin would be good, since Spell Compendium gave Assassins some really fun spells. I'm considering Death's Chosen from Libris Mortis, but it doesn't really fit a stealth type. I went the Uttercold route, so Tomb-Tainted Soul is a must.

Akal Saris
2011-02-11, 08:45 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178202)is the Iron Chef competition for the assassin, in case any of the builds get your creative juices flowing.

Here's a quick idea:
Water Orc Gravetouched Ghoul (LA +2)/Ranger 5/Assassin 6
Focus on improving paralyzing attacks and stealthiness

Jallorn
2011-02-11, 08:49 PM
I'd prefer to avoid having him actually be undead, as despite being a lich, my character is attempting to put forth the image of not being a complete inhuman monster (which he isn't, though he is evil). The cohort is going to be the only one of the cabal seen in public as an associate, but he will be seen from time to time, so it helps my character's image for him to be living.

Hawk7915
2011-02-11, 09:58 PM
I think X Rogue 5/Assassin 8 is a fine thing to go for, honestly. Take Tomb-tainted Soul and Craven for sure; everything after that depends on what you want the guy to do. Archer? TWF?

If you wanted something slightly more "tanky", a Human Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 6/Nightsong Enforcer 4 with "Able Learner" will have much better HD and a great BAB while still boasting decent sneak attack dice and skills.

Some other strong option would be Rogue 1-3/Swordsage 10-12 (for the best "fighter"), Factotum 5/Chameleon 8 (for a cohort who can do everything), or an Unseen Seer build (Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 8, with levels in Arcane Trickster to finish things off). All of those are significantly more complicated, though. The unifying theory is to make sure to take Craven (for +13 sneak attack damage) and probably Able Learner for any of the non-rogue builds.

mootoall
2011-02-11, 10:11 PM
Well how optimized do you want it? I mean, you could go Lurk for flavor, or perhaps Psychic Rogue for sexy, sexy power. In fact, yeah, why not Psychic Rogue? It's good at everything a rogue does, and then psionics!

Jallorn
2011-02-11, 10:43 PM
I'm leaning towards Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Assassin 7.

Maybe a Changling. I'm going to go see if some homebrew stuff is okay before I settle though.

If this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156404) Swashbuckler fix is okayed, I might just go Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 10.

Does that seem sound to you guys?

JaronK
2011-02-11, 10:50 PM
Necropolitan Whispergnome Factotum 11/Unarmed Swordsage 2. Focus on Iajuitsu Focus for assassination, and remember you can cast Major Creation to get an unlimited supply of Sinmaker's Surprise. Go nuts.

JaronK

faceroll
2011-02-11, 11:26 PM
I'd prefer to avoid having him actually be undead, as despite being a lich, my character is attempting to put forth the image of not being a complete inhuman monster (which he isn't, though he is evil). The cohort is going to be the only one of the cabal seen in public as an associate, but he will be seen from time to time, so it helps my character's image for him to be living.

So the only person from your organization that's going to be in the public eye is a professional murderer who serves as leader of your assassin squad? That seems like it may be a little counter-productive to your mission statement, no?

Jallorn
2011-02-11, 11:32 PM
So the only person from your organization that's going to be in the public eye is a professional murderer who serves as leader of your assassin squad? That seems like it may be a little counter-productive to your mission statement, no?

Well, only person from my assassin squad/cabal. Also, people will see him as my bodyguard most likely.

There are other PCs in public too.

MammonAzrael
2011-02-11, 11:55 PM
Does it have to be official material? And I know you aren't super familiar with ToB, but I love the Angel of Death (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62659). If you're interested in the PrC I can whip up a more detailed build outline for you.

Jallorn
2011-02-11, 11:56 PM
Does it have to be official material? And I know you aren't super familiar with ToB, but I love the Angel of Death (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62659). If you're interested in the PrC I can whip up a more detailed build outline for you.

I'll consider it if my Swash fix gets turned down.

Saint GoH
2011-02-12, 12:40 AM
The Swash fix looks strong. I'd say do a Daring Outlaw with it and call it gravy. No bookkeeping necessary.

Optimator
2011-02-12, 05:05 AM
If it were me I'd go for as much Assassin levels as you could, if only to use their unique spells. Make wands of some of the better spells and have him go nuts. Assassin really ain't a bad PrC at all. Don't forget about the Darkstalker feat.

Jallorn
2011-02-12, 04:06 PM
What are the best weapon enchantments for an assassin?

Optimator
2011-02-12, 04:29 PM
Here's a list of all of the weapon enhancements. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870158/The_3.5_Weapon_Special_Abilities_thread) The formatting got a little funny but the info is sound.

Unholy is always quite good. I looove Wounding and Collision. Sure-Striking and Metalline (although Metalline got nerfed in the MiC), Shadow Striking, or Transmuting all let you pierce all(?) damage reduction for a +3. So does the Force enhancement if the Assassin ends up a bow user. Blurstrike would be good, as would Deadly Precision.

Also, abilities like Cursespewing and Souldrinking--and even combined with Wounding/Marrowcrushing--could make your cohort a save-debuffing machine.

MammonAzrael
2011-02-12, 04:29 PM
Check out the Assassin's Dagger and the Sword of Subtlety as possible base weapons. They're both in the SRD.

It also partly depends on if you're talking about the Assassin PrC or not, and if he'll be dual-wielding.

Jallorn
2011-02-12, 04:34 PM
For the moment my build is Rogue1/Swashbuckler 11/Assassin 1.

The Assassin 1 was so I could get more Swashbuckler levels and still have Sneak Attack. Poison Use and a spell don't hurt either.

And yes, I am having him two-weapon fight.

I haven't gotten a yes or a no on the fix though, so if I get a no, I'll rearrange the build to go for a much heavier Assassin focus (the PRC)

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-12, 04:52 PM
Another idea would be Thief of Life from Faiths of Eberron. Beyond generic useful stuff like Lifesense, a meager Sneak Attack progression, and immunity to both death effects and level drain, the capstone grants you effective immortality as long as you slay one creature of your HD or more per year.

Immortality is a very useful thing to have in a head loyal minion.