PDA

View Full Version : magic items and slots

graeylin
2011-02-11, 10:04 PM
One of my PC's loves her shiftweave clothing, because it allows her to disguise herself to fit circumstances. And by disguise, I simply mean she switches to a decent work wear, dungeon wear, nice meet the court wear, go to market and not stand out wear, and fancy dress wear. She never uses it to disguise herself like a spy, just for flavor, so she can blend in at the market, while walking from town to town, etc..

Am I correct that because of the shiftweave, her torso slot is now taken up, and other magical shirts, vests of resistance, etc. can no longer be worn/utilized? I sacrifice a vest of resistance, or shirt of the fey, etc., for the magic of the shiftweave, right?

HunterOfJello
2011-02-11, 10:37 PM
Yes. A Shiftweave is a magical item that takes up the torso slot. A Vest of Restistance +1 also occupies the torso slot. Therefore, by RAW from the MiC you cannot benefit from both of them at the same time.

~

HOWEVER. Shiftweave is described as 'garb' that mimics 5 different outfits. According to the Magic Item Compendium, shirts and vests occupy the same body slot, but according to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/creatingmagicitems.htm), they are different body slots. The DMG supports the same position as the SRD.

Considering these points, I think you should talk to your DM and get them to let you wear both your Shiftweave and an item in your torso slot as long as you continue to use the Shiftweave for only roleplaying purposes. If I was your DM, then I would let you wear both.

~

You could also try to get the DM to let you add the cost of a Shiftweave garment onto the cost of a torso slot item to make it work as a Shiftweave, similar to how some of the armor enchantments work (like Glamered armor). This would increase the cost of each torso item by 500gp, but still give you the benefit of your fun outfits.

Worst case scenario, you can always use the rules in the DMG (pg 282) for having a torso slot item made that holds the properties of both items. In that case, you multiply the value of both items by 1.5 and then add them together. (Each benefit comes at an extra 50% cost.) In the case of a Shiftweave Vest of Resistance +1, the cost would be 500x1.5+1000x1.5= 2250gp. That's somewhat more expensive than the items were apart, but not significantly so.

Kobold Esq
2011-02-11, 10:47 PM
Most magical items are worn over other clothing. I've always assumed the shiftweave was in lieu of normal clothes, and not a slotted item.

The Rabbler
2011-02-11, 10:51 PM
You could always assume that it does apply to the torso and simply enchant it with +X to saves as per the MIC rules. You can have the best of both worlds.

EDIT: though all of the other torso items would be taken up.

graeylin
2011-02-11, 10:53 PM
thanks for the SRD vs MIC argument.. i did not know that!

and wow, 15 slots for magic, per the SRD. now that's something i can use!

and i can try asking the DM to allow both, and use the normal clothing line as well. everything helps!

Kobold Esq
2011-02-11, 10:54 PM
The thing to watch out for though is that shiftweave is not disguise self. It only changes itself. It won't change your Cloak of Charisma, your vest of resistance, or your Helm of Telepathy.

jguy
2011-02-11, 10:58 PM
If you double the cost of the Shiftweave you can make it effectively Slotless. Then you can consider it just magical clothes that don't take up a valuable magical item slot.

graeylin
2011-02-12, 01:07 AM
The thing to watch out for though is that shiftweave is not disguise self. It only changes itself. It won't change your Cloak of Charisma, your vest of resistance, or your Helm of Telepathy.

yup, that's fine. My PC just uses it to have the right/extra clothes, without having to worry about hauling around a wardrobe in a backpack. Need to meet the local lord? outfit is ready. Need to ride a horse across the countryside? outfit ready. Need to skulk around the dark of night? outfit ready...

I use it more so that my PC can appear in the right social class, more than anything else.. nothing fancy for walking into a hamlet, nothing overly poor for meeting the Baron.

Kobold Esq
2011-02-12, 02:33 AM
If you double the cost of the Shiftweave you can make it effectively Slotless. Then you can consider it just magical clothes that don't take up a valuable magical item slot.

What makes you think it isn't already slotless? Every character already wears clothes that have no mechanical effect. Shiftweave similarly has no mechanical effect, and it replaces an item (clothing) that wasn't a slotted item to begin with. It is no more a slotted item than a Handy Haversack is a slotted item.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-12, 02:41 AM
What makes you think it isn't already slotless? Every character already wears clothes that have no mechanical effect. Shiftweave similarly has no mechanical effect, and it replaces an item (clothing) that wasn't a slotted item to begin with. It is no more a slotted item than a Handy Haversack is a slotted item.
Certain perfectly mundane clothes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsandservices.htm) do in fact have mechanical effects though. For example, Winter Clothing provides a +5 circumstance bonus on Fort saves against cold weather, and not wearing the proper outfit when interacting with nobles has a -2 penalty on Charisma based skill checks.

jguy
2011-02-12, 04:32 AM

Because it was already established that Shiftweave is a magical item that takes up a torso slot. By doubling the cost, to I think 500g, it removes that and makes it a slotless item.

Godskook
2011-02-12, 05:44 AM
HOWEVER. Shiftweave is described as 'garb' that mimics 5 different outfits. According to the Magic Item Compendium, shirts and vests occupy the same body slot, but according to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/creatingmagicitems.htm), they are different body slots. The DMG supports the same position as the SRD.

You are misinterpreting the linked text.

Read page 214 of your DMG for the actual 'slot' rules. It says there that you may only wear a vest or a shirt.

As for the link you're using, that's not talking about 'slots you're allowed to use', but rather what the affinities associated with certain types of items are. Namely, in this case, that shirts are for physical improvement typically, while vests are for class ability improvements.

grimbold
2011-02-12, 06:46 AM
Most magical items are worn over other clothing. I've always assumed the shiftweave was in lieu of normal clothes, and not a slotted item.

+1
shiftweave is just a normal type of fabric
its like having a linen shirt
only better