PDA

View Full Version : Paladin of Gruumsh build advice

Dragothien
2011-02-11, 10:37 PM
So...my DM gave us each specific lists, with non human races and a random selection of classes and said pick a combination.
Try to do something you normally wouldn't.

So..with what I had..I decided why not a Paladin of Gruumsh?

So I am currently a level 5 Half Orc paladin and I greatly enjoy it..but while I enjoy the role play, I really don't care for mounts and straight paladin feels a lot weaker than the rest of my party. I know that if I am going to switch off to another class or PRC level 5 is the time.

So any advice play grounders? I'm open to suggestions...

I'm not too crazy about the bard/paladin combo because I already have a bard in another campaign.

I've also glanced at the monk/paladin combo but I'm not really sure if that is worth it or not.

If it is of help - the party also contains a sneak attack based rogue, a shield fighter that is actually fairly optimized, a newb wizard, a healer cleric, a fairly smart druid, and me. (Note. the cleric barely ever shows, so if he's around all he does is heal, and if hes not around, hes a robot that mostly heals.)

What say you? Thanks in advance

Bladesinger
2011-02-11, 10:51 PM
When you say Paladin of Gruumsh, do you mean you're playing a Paladin of Slaughter (variant class in UA), or do you mean a traditional Paladin from the PHB?

Dragothien
2011-02-11, 11:00 PM
Sorry, I am in fact playing a Paladin of Slaughter.

The character's God is Gruumsh.

faceroll
2011-02-11, 11:28 PM
How would you feel about a level or two in barbarian, followed by something like bear warrior or frenzied berserker? I feel like FB has a good gruumsh feel to it.

Dragothien
2011-02-12, 12:24 AM
You know actually I'm glad you bring that up... has anyone any experience using rage/barb style goodness in a paladin build?

I had half considered working in a level or few of the eye of gruumsh prc maybe somehow combo'd with barb or FB for flavor and rage if i could make it work with the paladin..granted it sucks to lose casting...

Again, open to all suggestions and opinions.

Dragothien
2011-02-12, 06:12 PM
Bump. Any ideas anyone? Wouls be greatly appreciated.

linebackeru
2011-02-12, 06:23 PM
Could always go Sorcerer from here on out, going for Charisma synergy. 5 levels of Paladin is a bit much for that sort of thing, but at least you'd get decent casting.

Mando Knight
2011-02-12, 06:24 PM
granted it sucks to lose casting...

Paladin Casting is barely worth a mention until you get either (Un)Holy Sword or Battle Blessing. It progresses slowly and comes in at level 4... you'd be better off playing a Cleric if you wanted to focus on the spellcasting.

If you don't feel like progressing your mount or casting, go ahead and switch to Barbarian. It meshes pretty well with the Paladin of Slaughter, so long as you've got a decent enough Con score to make your Rage last a decent while.

Waker
2011-02-12, 06:27 PM
Pious Templar from Complete Champion wouldn't be horrible, if for no other reason than getting Mettle at level 1. Warpriest could be useful too, only downside is that Paladin of Slaughter loses Diplomacy as a class skill.

WinWin
2011-02-12, 06:36 PM
Blackguard. Get some more levels in Paladin until you can trade them in for Blackguard levels and you'll get a boost. Regardless you should be able to net a few 'ex paladin' special abilities.

Depending on how you want to alter your focus, multiclassing may prove to be more of a hinderance than a help.

Binder offers a few supernatural abilities with a few levels of investment. It is unlikely that it would reduce your combat effectiveness, though it would require quite a few levels to get the most out of the class.

Totemist offers quite a bit for little investment, though you are unlikely to maximise it's potential without taking several levels.

Barbarian or Fighter dips could be useful for things like pounce or bonus feats.

Half Orc Paragon is an easy method of gaining rage and a bonus to strength if you take all 3 levels.

Runestar
2011-02-12, 09:58 PM
Races of destiny has the half-orc paladin substitution. See if your DM will allow it on a paladin of tyranny. Most notable, it replaces smite with a variant that adds a flat damage bonus to your attacks for cha mod rounds. :smallsmile:

faceroll
2011-02-12, 10:02 PM
Paladin Casting is barely worth a mention until you get either (Un)Holy Sword or Battle Blessing. It progresses slowly and comes in at level 4... you'd be better off playing a Cleric if you wanted to focus on the spellcasting.

If you don't feel like progressing your mount or casting, go ahead and switch to Barbarian. It meshes pretty well with the Paladin of Slaughter, so long as you've got a decent enough Con score to make your Rage last a decent while.

Casting is actually pretty awesome to have, and the Spell Compendium gave a big boost to classes like paladin, ranger, and assassin.

herrhauptmann
2011-02-12, 10:20 PM
How would you feel about a level or two in barbarian, followed by something like bear warrior or frenzied berserker? I feel like FB has a good gruumsh feel to it.

How about halforc paragon? After two levels you get a rage, 3 levels gets you a strength boost. Afterwards, you can take orc paragon for another +2 strength, or human paragon, lower bab but any 10 skills are class skills.

Does Paladin of slaughter allow you to multiclass out, then take more levels of P.S when you wish? (try and abbreviate Paladin of Slaughter)

MarkusWolfe
2011-02-12, 11:58 PM
Try 'Eye of Gruumsh' from Complete Warrior. Sounds just like what you're looking for.

faceroll
2011-02-14, 02:48 AM
Try 'Eye of Gruumsh' from Complete Warrior. Sounds just like what you're looking for.

It's a weak class. Don't recommend it at all if you're trying to optimize.