PDA

View Full Version : Tawaki [3.5 Penguinfolk Race]

Admiral Squish
2011-02-12, 01:18 AM
So, yeah... Looking around, stumbled across the picture, tried to resist the urge, but in the end, I just had to make the lil' penguin-pirates. They're based on the more new zealand sorta penguins, rather than the emperor penguins that are so famous.

Tawaki
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs41/f/2009/006/e/9/Werepenguin_by_TheBrave.jpg

Tawaki are a race of seagoing avians from islands of the distant south. They cannot fly, but they make up for it by being exceptional swimmers, shooting through the water like missiles. A sizable majority of tawaki travel the world from the decks of sailing ships, and even those that don't are usually fishermen.

Personality: Tawaki are energetic and compelling talkers. They love telling tales and singing songs, and they never turn down a drink offered. When a tawaki ship pulls into port, it's safe to assume the tavern will be lively late into the night. A tawaki on his ship is somewhat more reserved, willing to put off merriment until the day's tasks are finished. Still, jokes and song are common on tawaki ships. Tawaki are extremely close with their shipmates, and though they're not normally violent, will lay down their lives to defend one of their number.

Physical Description: Tawaki are short and streamlined, standing about three feet tall. Their bodies are covered with sleek, black feathers. Their chest, stomach, face, and the undersides of their arms are white insead, but maintain the same sleek feathered look. Their faces are tipped in a small, reddish beak. Tawaki possess a pair of yellow streaks above their black, beady eyes, along the line between black and white feathers. On males, these yellow streaks form large paired crests of feathers that extend back past the top of their head. Tawaki bodies are sleek and bullet-shaped, with winglike arms that split into feathered fingers at the end. Their legs are short and bony, ending in webbed feet. Tawaki usually weigh between 25 and 30 pounds. Tawaki reach maturity at 20 and can live up to 150 years old.

Relations: Tawaki get along well with anyone who offers them a drink or a good story, and distrust those who treat one of them poorly. Tawaki generally make few judgments beyond those they or their shipmates are aware of first-hand. Tawaki are known to get along famously with Hadozee, who compliment them nicely.

Alignment: Most tawaki are good, with a tendency towards chaos over law. If a tawaki's captain is another tawaki, their outlooks often grow to match his, which means an evil tawaki captain may soon be the captain of an evil crew, even if all the tawaki aboard were good when they joined. However, if a captain is evil and not a tawaki, most tawaki will leave when possible to find another ship.

Tawaki Lands: The Tawaki homeland is a relatively small island in the southern seas. The island is somewhat rocky, and generally uneven terrain makes it poor farmland. And so, most tawaki at home live in shoreline fishing villages, making a living off the sea. However,the majority of tawaki leave home when they come of age, taking off to see the world on sailing ships, some built by the tawaki themselves, others just stopping by for supplies. Sailing is a lifetime profession for tawaki, and most only retire from the task once they reach middle age, or become too wounded to continue the life.

Language: Tawaki speak tawaki, a language of squawks, whistles, squeaks, and chirps.

Names: Tawaki names are relatively simple, with a personal name, a clutch name, and a family name, which is an inherited clutch name from their father.
Male Names: Bambang, Guntur, Harta, Kuwat, Susila, Yuda
Female Names: Cahaya, Cinta, Indah, Kasih, Mawar, Ratu, Utari
Clutch Names: Basara, Gata, Hari, Inya, Katur, Mahar, Suwat

Adventurers: Tawaki adventurers are not uncommon at all. Many tawaki have a level or two in an adventuring class of one sort or another. Though they don't have close ties to many dragons, the tawaki produce a surprising number of sorcerers.

TAWAKI RACIAL TRAITS

+2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Dexterity. Tawaki are surprisingly tough for their size and possess compelling, likable personalities, but they're not particularly strong and can be somewhat clumsy, especially on land.
Small: As a Small creature, a tawaki gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but uses smaller weapons than Medium characters use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Tawaki base land speed is 15 feet. Tawaki hive extremely short legs and their webbed feet only help to slow them down.
A tawaki's base swim speed is 60 feet. A tawaki has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. A tawaki can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. A tawaki can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line.
Hold Breath: A tawaki can hold his breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 × his Constitution score before he risks drowning.
A tawaki possesses a natural bite attack that deal 1d4 points of damage.
Cold Tolerant: Tawaki gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against cold damage and cold effects. Tawaki can also exist comfortably in conditions
between –20° and 90° F (severe cold to hot) without having to make Fortitude saves. This ability counts as if a tawaki had the Cold Endurance feat for purposes of fulfilling prerequisites for other feats or prestige classes.
+2 Racial Bonus to Balance, Profession (Sailor), and Use Rope Checks. Tawaki spend most of their lives on ships, and as such are experts at the skills needed day-to-day on deck.
Great Ally (Ex): Tawaki work exceptionally well with their allies. When successfully aided on a skill check or attack roll by an ally, or when aiding another, a tawaki applies or gains a +3 bonus on the check or attack roll (instead of the normal +2 bonus). Furthermore, when a tawaki and an ally are flanking an enemy, they both gain a +4 bonus on attack rolls (instead of the normal +2 bonus).
Automatic Languages: Common and Tawaki. Bonus Languages: Auran, Aquan, Elven, Gnomish, Sylvan.
Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass tawaki's rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.

Blynkibrax
2011-02-12, 09:58 AM
These are a brilliant concept. Penguin pirates!

I'm having visions now of one of these pint-sized little buccaneers waddling into the hardest, meanest pirate tavern and drinking all the much larger, scarred and tattooed seadogs under the table. :smallbiggrin:

Only criticism I would make is that, at present, their ability scores seem a little too good. Maybe they should have a -2 to Dexterity, too? I'm not sure, maybe their other abilities balance things out.

radmelon
2011-02-12, 11:27 AM
A few example names would be helpful.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-02-12, 11:40 AM
A little overpowered. -2 Dex might help.

Otherwise, this is very nice.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-12, 11:56 AM
These are a brilliant concept. Penguin pirates!

I'm having visions now of one of these pint-sized little buccaneers waddling into the hardest, meanest pirate tavern and drinking all the much larger, scarred and tattooed seadogs under the table. :smallbiggrin:

Only criticism I would make is that, at present, their ability scores seem a little too good. Maybe they should have a -2 to Dexterity, too? I'm not sure, maybe their other abilities balance things out.

Thanks!

I was kinda thinking the features made up for the strong ability scores, but the consensus says otherwise, so I shall change it.

A few example names would be helpful.

Alright, added in. I wasn't sure how I would spell/pronounce squeaks, squawks, and whistles at first, but then I just decided I might as well go ahead and make the names a little nicer to your throat.

A little overpowered. -2 Dex might help.

Otherwise, this is very nice.

Alright, adding it in.

Critical
2011-02-12, 12:10 PM
Sir, that is freaking awesome. Bookmarked.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-12, 01:43 PM
Well, that certainly helped!

You see, I am fueled by ego, and now, with my ego reinflated, I can begin again on bigger projects.

radmelon
2011-02-12, 03:19 PM
If you're having trouble with bird names, rememer that a "!" often denotes a clicking sound when writing out words phonetically.

Nopraptor
2011-02-12, 03:28 PM
in the physical description you wrote stremlined instead of streamlined

Besides that this race is made of pure win!
they would make great aquatic sorcerers too (next char I make will be of this race:smallbiggrin:)

Mulletmanalive
2011-02-12, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure why you picked it so i can't comment, i'm just going to highlight the biology:

Penguins are one of the most communally minded species that have true individuality [most other species like ants and naked mole rats are pheromone driven hives]; the males actually take it in turns to rotate from the warm centre of the flock to the edges, heck, the inside ones actually make the move rather than the outer 'guins pushing in.

Hence, they seem like they would have a more lawful bent though possible only amongst themselves.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-12, 06:49 PM
If you're having trouble with bird names, rememer that a "!" often denotes a clicking sound when writing out words phonetically.

Indeed, it does denote a click or clucking sound, but a lot of the other sounds that avians make that I'm not sure how to represent with english characters. So, I think I'll stick with the names above.

in the physical description you wrote stremlined instead of streamlined

Besides that this race is made of pure win!
they would make great aquatic sorcerers too (next char I make will be of this race:smallbiggrin:)

Ooops, fixed.

Thanks! If you do end up playing one, feel free to drop me a line telling me how it went!

I'm not sure why you picked it so i can't comment, i'm just going to highlight the biology:

Penguins are one of the most communally minded species that have true individuality [most other species like ants and naked mole rats are pheromone driven hives]; the males actually take it in turns to rotate from the warm centre of the flock to the edges, heck, the inside ones actually make the move rather than the outer 'guins pushing in.

Hence, they seem like they would have a more lawful bent though possible only amongst themselves.

That's emperor penguins. The tawaki these are based off of are Fiordland Penguins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiordland_Penguin) (Also known as tawaki), a breed of penguin from new zealand. They're significantly less social then the antarctic sort.

LOTRfan
2011-02-12, 06:53 PM
Ah, man. If you posted this about two months ago, I could've used 'em in my arctic-Christmas one-shot (even if the penguins they're based off of live in temperate forests).

They seem pretty cool.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-12, 06:56 PM
Ah, man. If you posted this about two months ago, I could've used 'em in my arctic-Christmas one-shot (even if the penguins they're based off of live in temperate forests).

They seem pretty cool.

Well, if you ask REALLY NICELY, I might be able to be convinced to make an emperor penguinfolk race.

LOTRfan
2011-02-12, 06:59 PM
Perhaps as a subrace to the Tawaki...

Alright, may you please make an Emperor Penguin subrace?

Admiral Squish
2011-02-12, 07:55 PM
Perhaps as a subrace to the Tawaki...

Alright, may you please make an Emperor Penguin subrace?

It shall be done! Now... new thread, or add it in up top?

LOTRfan
2011-02-12, 07:58 PM
Well, if it's just a subrace, I'd just add it to the top. If it has its own racial writeup, I'd probably go with a new thread.

Spleen Flayer
2011-02-12, 09:48 PM
I believe i shall be adding these guys to my next campaign.You sir,
deserve a cookie.:smallbiggrin:

(Gives Admiral Squish a figurative cookie)

Apophis
2011-02-12, 11:03 PM
My group is actually about to go attack a pirate base. I will definitely have some of these there. Very well done.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-13, 01:52 AM
Man, this is a surprising amount of response for a 30-minute job.

Ashtagon
2011-02-13, 04:46 AM
I would humbly like to request that you submit this race for inclusion in The Edge (http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewforum.php?f=53), a shared and explicitly free world. There is a legal disclaimer in a sticky that you need to respond to before posting it, but I can definitely see a role for this race in that setting.

Jubal_Barca
2011-02-13, 09:49 AM
I have little to add beyond "EEEEEEE! Penguins!" but I'm going to add that anyway. :smallbiggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-13, 09:57 AM
Man, this is a surprising amount of response for a 30-minute job.

Clearly you works are great no matter how long it takes. And about that Ego thing... TORIKO PUNCH. *cough* Where do you go around finding these (awesome) inspirational pictures?

Admiral Squish
2011-02-13, 12:47 PM
I would humbly like to request that you submit this race for inclusion in The Edge (http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewforum.php?f=53), a shared and explicitly free world. There is a legal disclaimer in a sticky that you need to respond to before posting it, but I can definitely see a role for this race in that setting.

Hmm. Well, it seems legit. Can't post yet, but I'll toss these guys in there.

Clearly you works are great no matter how long it takes. And about that Ego thing... TORIKO PUNCH. *cough* Where do you go around finding these (awesome) inspirational pictures?

Heh. Don't worry, the omnomnomicon isn't dead just yet. I might be reposting it as a mark II once I finish the dish list. But currently, I've got another megascale project that's got me fixated, and a sizable list of other big projects I refuse to let die.

Also, most of the pics just come from deviantart.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-13, 03:46 PM
Heh. Don't worry, the omnomnomicon isn't dead just yet. I might be reposting it as a mark II once I finish the dish list. But currently, I've got another megascale project that's got me fixated, and a sizable list of other big projects I refuse to let die.

Also, most of the pics just come from deviantart.

So you just browse random stuff to find inspiration?

Cieyrin
2011-02-13, 04:08 PM

Isn't that how inspiration tends to come from, though?

Admiral Squish
2011-02-13, 04:37 PM

Pretty much, yeah. Start vague, then suck up inspiration.

Lyndworm
2011-02-28, 10:56 PM
I really like this; good job, Admiral.

Also,
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Lyndworm/PenguinWarrior.jpg

Admiral Squish
2011-03-01, 02:00 AM
I really like this; good job, Admiral.

Also,
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Lyndworm/PenguinWarrior.jpg

That is relatively silly.

But yeah, I've got penguinfolk under construction on my computer. Working on the big project first.

Mayhem
2011-03-01, 04:59 AM
Lovin' your penguin race mate! Here's a subrace for you, based on Little Blue penguins.

Korora
Korora are the smaller cousins of tawaki. They lack the yellow crests of the tawaki and have a blue coat on their backs and white bellies. Korora are a much more peaceful lot than their bigger cousins, and prefer more temperate climates.

KORORA RACIAL TRAITS
-2 Strength, +2 Wisdom. Korora aren't as tough as their bigger cousin and prefer a more temperate climate, but have great insight and a serene outlook on life.
Small: As a Small creature, a korora gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but uses smaller weapons than Medium characters use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Korora base land speed is 15 feet. Korora have extremely short legs and their webbed feet only help to slow them down.
A Korora's base swim speed is 60 feet. A korora has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. A korora can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. A korora can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line.
Hold Breath: A tawaki can hold his breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 × his Constitution score before he risks drowning.
A korora possesses a natural bite secondary attack that deal 1d3 points of damage. Korora have smaller beaks than their cousins and aren't as violent.
Cold Tolerant: Tawaki gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against cold damage and cold effects.
+2 Racial Bonus to Balance, survival and heal.
Great Ally (Ex): Korora work exceptionally well with their allies. When successfully aided on a skill check or attack roll by an ally, or when aiding another, a korora applies or gains a +3 bonus on the check or attack roll (instead of the normal +2 bonus). Furthermore, when a korora and an ally are flanking an enemy, they both gain a +4 bonus on attack rolls (instead of the normal +2 bonus).
Automatic Languages: Common and Tawaki. Bonus Languages: Auran, Aquan, Elven, Gnomish, Sylvan.
Favored Class: Druid.

Blynkibrax
2011-03-03, 05:51 PM
Why stop at just an emperor penguin subrace? The way I look at it, they're emperor penguins for a reason. I'm talking about a Penguinfolk Empire!

Aristocratic emperor penguins keeping vast libraries of forgotten lore in their arctic strongholds. Fierce rockhopper warriors waddling off to war in their thousands to defend their frozen homeland... :smallbiggrin:

Admiral Squish
2011-03-03, 06:34 PM
Why stop at just an emperor penguin subrace? The way I look at it, they're emperor penguins for a reason. I'm talking about a Penguinfolk Empire!

Aristocratic emperor penguins keeping vast libraries of forgotten lore in their arctic strongholds. Fierce rockhopper warriors waddling off to war in their thousands to defend their frozen homeland... :smallbiggrin:

Vaguely creepy, actually, I was thinking the EXACT same thing just before you posted this. I will admit, though, I hadn't thought of the rockhoppers. I was just picturing a race of self-important warriors believing themselves to be the greatest.