PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a pathfinder Rise of the Runelords character

j4bberw0ck
2011-02-12, 04:34 AM
I have a question i was hoping could be answered, I am going to be a player in a pathfinder game using the module rise of the runelords. I have a couple of ideas for characters and cavalier is my main choice, but I want to know if mounted combat is viable in ROTRL so I don't get shafted and have to leave my mount behind wherever I go.

Arutema
2011-02-12, 04:48 AM
I don't know anything about said module, but have you considered hafling/gnome with riding dog? Having a medium creature as your mount means it fits into dungeon-y places better than a warhorse.

Alleine
2011-02-12, 05:05 AM
From what I remember, it can be pretty workable. Early on it won't be so viable because you'll be inside fairly often, but this stops being as much of a problem as the module progresses. Without going into too much detail, you'll tend to be in open spaces more and more in the later parts of the module, and numerous outside encounters take place.

Being a small Cavalier on a medium mount is probably your best shot though, as there are spots throughout the campaign that will either stop you from using your mount, or will be extremely perilous to mounts left unattended. Having a special mount that you can call makes this a lot better. Don't forget to take into account that at higher levels your mount will need to be able to help you deal with flying creatures and obstacles it can't easily pass on foot.

satorian
2011-02-12, 05:07 AM
I've just played through most of RotRL.

1) Several of the harder early game things won't allow you to use a mount.
2) The end game of Stone Giants won't, either.

Most important things for the tank: resist wisdom damage; kill giants. For the latter, being small or dwarf can't hurt.For the latter, I'll leave others to aid you.

Akal Saris
2011-02-12, 12:22 PM
It might work if you're small-sized and ride a dog, but otherwise as others have said there are a lot of areas where your horse won't be able to join you.