PDA

View Full Version : Questions about totemist

Alleine
2011-02-12, 05:34 AM
I've had an idea for a totemist build bouncing around in my head for a few days now, but a few points about it confuse me.

The idea is to be a were-something, likely wolf because of the low HD and I don't think any of my DMs will let negative energy cheese fly. This is great because wolves already have 2 claws and a bite, perfect beginning to the natural attack fun right? The thing is, I can't quite wrap my head around how doing something like binding sphinx claws or winter mask would work. By RAW I'm fairly certain that I'd gain more claw attacks or another bite attack on top of what I've got, but it just seems... odd. Am I correct?

Next thing is Warshaper. I'm planning on adding this because I've been dying to use it in a build since I saw it and I've just never had the chance. How would it's abilities(specifically morphic weapon) interact with soulmeld natural weapons? Would I be able to grow them in size for extra damage?

I'd also appreciate any general advice about playing a totemist, what melds to shape at what levels, how to get the most out of my natural attacks, etc. Because man, incarnum makes my head hurt >.<
This may not see play anytime soon, but I'll be darned if I don't learn how to play with incarnum.

Godskook
2011-02-12, 06:09 AM
1.Lycanthrope doesn't offer too much, except the access to Warshaper(which is of circumspect value, see below). The claws detract from a really good meld(girallon arms) and the bite is easily replaceable. The DR would probably be really handy, but I don't think that's worth 2 RHD and 3 LA

2.Generally speaking, soulmelds don't grant you additional natural attacks unless they also provide additional places from which to make them. A werewolf with Girallon Arms bound to his totem would have 4 claws, not 6, cause Girallon Arms only provides 2 new 'arms'. Sphynx Claws would not provide you with additional attacks if you already had claw attacks.

3.Warshaper is too vaguely worded to be practical, and thus requires DM adjudication before play. Check with yours to see how he rules the ability works. A reasonable ruling would be that the ability grants the user a new natural weapon(or pair, depending on type chosen), or improves one(or pair of) existing weapon.

4.DR, surprisingly, is *HUGE* in D&D, if you're playing any character type that gets a lot of attacks. Thus, you need to spend some priority on improving your DPA(damage per attack), or else you'll just be giving that enemy werewolf a haircut. Shocktrooper is surprisingly easy to pick up(3 feats, all [fighter]), you can grab leading the charge in as an item, and check about getting a necklace of natural attacks by your DM.

5.Here's some sheets I've got of low-level totemists I've built:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=265125
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=201155

Note, in the psionic version, he's got access to custom Ardent mantles in order to get expansion, and I calculated BAB/Saves using the fractional system, but I think they're both otherwise kosher.

6.Losing meldshaper levels *SUCK*, and Totemist 20 is viable, so if you're losing levels, make sure you're getting something for them. Both above builds were aiming for a Totem Rager entry down the road.

7.I don't view Totemists as the 'incarnum' class. Always felt more like the Duskblades of Incarnum(They use their incarnum to become better at non-incarnum things, like Duskblades use spells to be better at killing things with their swords). Incarnates are the class for really learning the system as a 'new' thing, imho.

Alleine
2011-02-12, 03:52 PM
So, it's actually a terrible idea to play race that already has natural attacks? That seems to be the opposite of what I've seen about totemists. Or is it just avoid races that have specific attacks like claws which you'll get from totemist?

For warshaper, I was mostly looking at the tasty abilities that it gives. Immunity to crits, fast healing, str and con boosts. The weapon growth was more of a curiosity since they're technically natural weapons. It isn't that important though.

For DR, there are a few rings for helping that, and I'm sure I could work something out with a friendly spellcaster or just chuck money at a necklace of NA. My characters have a tendency to save up for important equipment.

Thanks for the builds to look at. The first one though, the damage seems off. Shouldn't the damage die for all your attacks increase when you use expansion?

Godskook
2011-02-12, 09:11 PM
So, it's actually a terrible idea to play race that already has natural attacks? That seems to be the opposite of what I've seen about totemists. Or is it just avoid races that have specific attacks like claws which you'll get from totemist?

Depends on the attack. Dragonborn warforged gets a tail and bite attack(Jaws of Death and Dragon Tail feats), and the Dragon Tail soulmeld provides its own tail, so those natural attacks are fine. Really, the main issue is with selecting races who's natural attacks compete with the 'good' natural attack soulmelds, like claw attacks if you plan on using Girallon Arms.

For warshaper, I was mostly looking at the tasty abilities that it gives. Immunity to crits, fast healing, str and con boosts. The weapon growth was more of a curiosity since they're technically natural weapons. It isn't that important though.

Warshaper should work 'normally' with soulmelds, however 'normally' works in the first place.

Thanks for the builds to look at. The first one though, the damage seems off. Shouldn't the damage die for all your attacks increase when you use expansion?

Thanks for the catch. When you're chasing down that many modifiers on that many weapons, something *ALWAYS* gets lost in the shuffle.

mootoall
2011-02-12, 09:59 PM
Well it seems to me that the most common natural attacks from Totemist are bites and claws, with claws being the most common, and Landshark Boots giving the best ones. So I'd look for something that gives you a slam attack. Alternatively, playing from low levels means you actually *don't* have that many attacks, making something like a Shifter a good call. Speaking of which, if you don't mind the shameless self plug, I've got some sublevels for that to sell you in my sig! Anyway, depends on your level.