PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Spell Perfection Feat abuse?

fratar11
2011-02-12, 07:26 AM
I saw this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spell-perfection) feat and i think it's awesome. The thing that bugs me is that I can almost feel the potential to abuse this feat, yet I can not grasp the way to do it. Can the playground show me their power?

Tokiko Mima
2011-02-12, 07:54 AM
Persistent/Quickened Divine Power comes to mind.

It's probably even better for spells that you might want to Widen/Maximize/Empower/etc. just because the metamagic feat applied is the variable while the spell is the constant. So you want a spell that's open to a lot of different metamagic applications.

In general Metamagic reducers will always have the potential for very cheesy applications. Just think of how much easier this feat would make casting the Locate City tactical nuke spell. Or how much you could metamagic up even a simple 2nd level spell like Scorching Ray, which Maximized could deal 72 points of damage (given 3 easy ranged touch attacks.) Disintegrate is a 6th/7th level spell that averages only about twice that much damage to a single target, and has a much less favorable Fort save for 25% damage.

nedz
2011-02-12, 08:07 AM
Highten Spell springs to mind.
Your Perfected spells would be 9th level at no cost, well unless you applied further metamagics.

Fortify Spell
Thats the one where you raise the spell by n levels and gain 2n in caster level for penetrating SR; though this feat seems to then double that further.
So +32 CL against SR for your 1st level spells, if I'm reading this right ?

Ed:
these examples assume you can cast 9th level spells, but hey.

JohnDaBarr
2011-02-12, 08:10 AM
interesting I must say you'll end casting sweet stuff, useful with everything with quickened, maximized or twin cast!

subject42
2011-02-12, 08:15 AM
This doesn't look like it's a metamagic reducer; it only reduces the casting time, rather than the cost. It looks like it's a way for high level sorcerers to be able to keep up with wizards.

You could get pretty nice DC boosts out of it, though.

If you want to blast, check to see if PF has any feats that apply a +x bonus to damage per damage die of the spell cast.

Thefurmonger
2011-02-12, 08:28 AM
One thing to remember is that in PF, Presist spell is not the same as 3.5

If you pull a feat from PF while useing a metamagic written for 3.5 even tho it was updated for PF, then yeah your going to get broken combos.

Also dont forget that to get 15 ranks in PF you have to be level 15 so this is only an issue for high level casters.

And since the total level cant go over 9th, and you can cast 9ths at 17th level anyway (18th for sorc) I can't see where this is broken.

nedz
2011-02-12, 08:33 AM
This doesn't look like it's a metamagic reducer; it only reduces the casting time, rather than the cost. It looks like it's a way for high level sorcerers to be able to keep up with wizards.

You could get pretty nice DC boosts out of it, though.

If you want to blast, check to see if PF has any feats that apply a +x bonus to damage per damage die of the spell cast.

It says without affecting its level or casting time
Sounds like a metamagic reducer to me ?

subject42
2011-02-12, 08:46 AM
It says without affecting its level or casting time
Sounds like a metamagic reducer to me ?

Daaaaaaaaaaang.

I missed that part of the text.

Necroticplague
2011-02-12, 09:09 AM
I think theirs an epic metamagic (forgot name) that maximizes all numeric values in a spell,then doubles them. Add with Spell Perfection (magic missle). The spell is now maxamized, then quadrupled.Add fell drain. You now drain 20 hd as a standard action, and inflict 200 points of force damage. if you have enough slots remaining, add enhance spell to double base missile amount, cauing you to now drain 40 hd and deal 800 points of force damage.As a standard action.

Radar
2011-02-12, 09:14 AM
Highten Spell springs to mind.
Your Perfected spells would be 9th level at no cost, well unless you applied further metamagics.
Take Spell Perfection for Silent Image and Shadowcraft Mage as your PrC of choice. Casting Miracles from a first level slot? Yes, please. :smallbiggrin: