PDA

View Full Version : Shifting and Anti-Magic Zones

comicshorse
2011-02-12, 08:20 AM
I'm playing a Shifter (Barbarian/Warshaper/Were-Touched Master) in an Eberron game.
However a recent encounter with a Beholder seemed to show up a bit of a problem. I SUCK IN ANTI-MAGIC ZONES !
According to the G.M. AMZ's mean I can't Shift which means no Shifting stat advances, no claws, no use of my WarShaper abilities, no use of my Shifter feats and no use of my Were-Touched Master abilities.
So my questions: Is the G.M. right ?
and if he is is there anything I can do about it ?

Coidzor
2011-02-12, 08:23 AM
If he is, then not without being a servant of Mystra as far as I can recall. ...Most ways of defeating AMF require one ot be a dedicated caster-type... :/

..Hmm... Well, first thing, is it an EX ability? Because if it's an Extraordinary ability, then he's just flat wrong without some kind of special exception.

I'm AFB or I'd just check it myself.

...I Think warshaper is Supernatural though, so one wouldn't be able to access it in an AMF. Whether warshaper things applied before AMFing stay in effect is beyond my recollection at the moment.

FelixG
2011-02-12, 08:25 AM
I dont have a copy of my books but is a Shifters shape changing ability an EX or SU ability.

If its SU, your GM is correct and it is stopped at an AMF, if its EX then your still golden, though any SU abilities you may have are still nullified

Edit: Sword Sage'd :smallbiggrin:

comicshorse
2011-02-12, 08:27 AM
Shifting is a SU ability

FelixG
2011-02-12, 08:38 AM
Shifting is a SU ability

Then yes, your GM is correct that it is disabled in an AMF.

Perhaps pick up a ranged weapon and shoot inside? There is not much you can do in this situation...

AMFs are an emanation so, you could maybe do a variant on the hat trick to get close and attack, but at worst it would make you count as blind against him.

comicshorse
2011-02-12, 08:46 AM
Then yes, your GM is correct that it is disabled in an AMF.

Perhaps pick up a ranged weapon and shoot inside? There is not much you can do in this situation...

AMFs are an emanation so, you could maybe do a variant on the hat trick to get close and attack, but at worst it would make you count as blind against him.

Hat Trick ?

FelixG
2011-02-12, 08:52 AM
Hat Trick ?

an Emanation is like a burst spell in the fact that it can not effect people who have total cover

Total cover is achieved when they have no line of effect to you, so if you have something large around you (like a big hat or box) then the AMF will not effect you or abilities.

This is called the hat trick because a caster could shrink a large sized box or something similar down to about the size of a hat and wear it. If they enter an AMF it will expand back to its full size protecting the caster to allow them to teleport away or escape before something bad happens to them.

Would be slightly more difficult to work this into melee but with some creative work im sure it can be figured out :D

Dreadn4ught
2011-02-12, 08:52 AM
The GMs probably right.

Why not lure your enemy outside the AMF? I did the opposite once, luring this giant slug-thing into an AMF to make it easier to defeat...

FelixG
2011-02-12, 08:55 AM
The GMs probably right.

Why not lure your enemy outside the AMF? I did the opposite once, luring this giant slug-thing into an AMF to make it easier to defeat...

Because the AMF moves with the caster, so you cant lure someone away from themselves :smallbiggrin:

true_shinken
2011-02-12, 09:03 AM
Just get a tower shield and you should be safe.

FelixG
2011-02-12, 09:07 AM

That would let him use some abilities but wouldn't allow him to attack at the same time.

true_shinken
2011-02-12, 09:51 AM
That would let him use some abilities but wouldn't allow him to attack at the same time.

That's why I said he would be safe. I didn't say he would beat anyone. :smallamused:

comicshorse
2011-02-12, 09:59 AM
That's why I said he would be safe. I didn't say he would beat anyone. :smallamused:

Of limited use then :smallsmile:

So run away and use a bow would seem to be my best option

true_shinken
2011-02-12, 10:14 AM
Of limited use then :smallsmile:

So run away and use a bow would seem to be my best option

Yep. Grab the tower shield, get the cover, get away from the antimagic field, drop the shield, pelt them with arrows.

comicshorse
2011-02-12, 01:13 PM
No rare magic items that render you immune to an AMF then ?

Vangor
2011-02-12, 02:25 PM

Was trying to locate a way around this, but apparently the tower shield requires you to forfeit attacks to gain cover, and you are unable to bash with the tower shield. I see nothing which alters this wording either, as would be amusing to see someone charging about with a tower shield with permanent total cover flattening foes.

Sinfonian
2011-02-12, 04:33 PM
No rare magic items that render you immune to an AMF then ?

Sorta, but not really so easily. Only thing I can think of that solves AMF for melee is Iron Heart Surge manevuer.

You could get a Iron Heart Vest from ToB to get Iron Heart Surge. However, you need another Iron Heart maneuver to qualify. You could either try to get differently slotted Iron Heart item or burn a feat on Martial Study. A level of Warblade would also work.

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-12, 04:40 PM
This is the best advice you're going to get.

If it's any consolation, everybody other than VoP monks suck in Anti-Magic Fields.

Coidzor
2011-02-12, 04:57 PM
This is the best advice you're going to get.

If it's any consolation, everybody other than VoP monks suck in Anti-Magic Fields.

And, well, VoP monks are... monks.

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-12, 04:59 PM
This means that your choices are either merely sucking in AMFs or sucking all the time.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-12, 05:03 PM
1.Knowledge (Dungeoneering) check to figure out the Antimagic is created from the beholder's central eye.

2. Stab the Beholder in its central eye.

3. No more AMF

~

The only thing I don't get is how your character isn't stronger in an AMF than a beholder when all of the beholder's good abilities are Supernatural and it suppresses those when it suppresses yours.

Coidzor
2011-02-12, 05:24 PM
The only thing I don't get is how your character isn't stronger in an AMF than a beholder when all of the beholder's good abilities are Supernatural and it suppresses those when it suppresses yours.

Come to think of it, yeah. Rage is EX, after all... or do Shifters have a racial substitution level that takes the EX rage away and replaces it completely? But, even then, one needs to be strong as a barbarian anyway... And one needs some kind of weapon for times when one doesn't want to actually touch one's enemies.
:smallconfused:

comicshorse
2011-02-12, 07:31 PM
Come to think of it, yeah. Rage is EX, after all... or do Shifters have a racial substitution level that takes the EX rage away and replaces it completely? But, even then, one needs to be strong as a barbarian anyway... And one needs some kind of weapon for times when one doesn't want to actually touch one's enemies.
:smallconfused:

Well my character did still have his Rage and a back-up weapon but the Beholder was screened by Hook Horrors. It wasn't until it dropped the AMF to try to zap us that we were able to get it.
I wasn't totally useless but the drop in my potential was fairly horrendous

true_shinken
2011-02-12, 11:12 PM
Actually, all exalted feats are supernatural.