PDA

View Full Version : Its a Trap

Norpfang
2011-02-12, 09:36 AM
A few days ago you came across an old map in the hoard of your last kill (a werewolf cult in a small village). The map shows the location of Vraath Keep and what appears to be a vault containing great treasure.

The afternoon sun beats down on you; the air is hot and still. The sparsely settled lands of Elsir Vale are starting to grow mountainous, with a seemingly endless line of dusty flyspecks of towns. The town of Drellins Ferry lies a few miles ahead of you. It's a settlement hard on the borders of witchwood, and the best place from which to begin exploring the forest

YourMap (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36844791@N00/216084498/)

ghostaxe
2011-02-12, 12:17 PM
Over the past several weeks, Fletch had been travelling with quite a strange mix of companions. He didn't particularly care for any of them (yet), but they did seem to attract trouble where ever they wenr, and trouble made good target practice.

"Onwards to this keep then?"

Starbuck_II
2011-02-12, 12:52 PM
Barge was happy to have found the map. He was in need of a normal adventure; that was not a fun quest versus the werewolves. Smelly beasts...

He found his new traveling buddies intriguing.
One was an was an elf, so naturally an archer, but he seemed to possess some magic as well. He seemed a decent sort.
Some monkey man that talked, a gnome, and a human. Each possessing some power so they might be credible companions. And of course, Flip hyis psicrystal that walked beside him.
"Yes, shall we. This walking isn't getting any easier."

Grace replies subservantly, "Wish I could carry you, master"

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-12, 01:32 PM
"Perhaps it would be more prudent to find our way to Drellin's Ferry first?" inquires the pasty looking gnome. "It may prove more wise to ask a bit about the Keep; Which, I don't mind telling you, seems a little too good to be true. Not to mention that after dealing with those lycans I could do with a bath."

He continues to absentmindedly leaf through his prayerbook throughout. This was certainly the most unique group of adventurers that he has ever traveled with, but that was not necessarily a bad thing.

ghostaxe
2011-02-12, 03:33 PM
Fletch shrugs. "I'm still good on supplies, but we can head there if you want. Although an extra day's detour could mean someone else cleans the place out first."

"Well, I'll be in the rear as always. Yell if you need me"

Fletch walks to his position some 60 ft behind everyone else and blends himself into the foliage.

Norpfang
2011-02-12, 09:54 PM
OOC: More description until every body gets hear

For Fletch Has you walk to your position you realize just how quiet the world seams to be around you. You begin to get the feeling your being watched but you cant tell from where

ghostaxe
2011-02-13, 12:15 AM
Fletch trusted his own instincts, and immediately prepared himself.

cast mage armor from wand, put wand away, nock arrow, move to an area with good cover and hide. Look around for enemies.

Move silently:[roll0]
Hide:[roll1]

Listen:[roll2]
Spot:[roll3]

Norpfang
2011-02-13, 12:41 AM
The Road crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large, shallow dell. An abandoned farmhouse, partially visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road. You've past a dozen spots much like this one already today, But this one feels wrong. Then you glimpse the glint of mail through the brush by the side of the road. Fierce Warriors-Tall, hairy humanoids with wide mouths and faces, reveal themselves. Six bow shots are heard has the Ambush Begins.
Oii Gorshgut check outz does bushed over der I tinks I saws un of em adventurerz goes in one!!! one screams to a companion has he and 4 others shoot their weapons in your general direction.

roll init surprise round includes Fletch and Ambushers

Ambushers [roll0]

this is where you are (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rhod_maps/95680.jpg)

ghostaxe
2011-02-13, 01:04 AM
Fletch's init:[roll0]

Fletch casts Extended sniper's shot and lets loose an arrow at the closest archer.

Attack: [roll1] (vs. Flat-footed AC if they didn't beat my hide check)
Damage: [roll2] +[roll3] (electric) + [roll4] (sneak)

ghostaxe
2011-02-13, 01:19 AM
That was Fletch's surprise round. For his first normal round, Fletch casts Guided Shot (ignore cover concealment range penalties) and rapid shots at two different monsters.

Shot 1:
Attack: [roll0] vs ff ac
Damage: [roll1] +[roll2](elec) +[roll3](sneak)

Shot 2:
Attack: [roll4] vs ff ac
Damage: [roll5] +[roll6](elec) +[roll7](sneak)

Norpfang
2011-02-13, 01:24 AM
the arrow bounces harmlessly off of the one called Gorshguts chest he laughs has he head in Fletches direction know though still having difficulty pinpointing his location

the other five creatures shoot their long bows at each of you
V.s Barge [roll0] if hits [roll1] crits are *3
V.s Austin [roll2] if hits [roll3] crits are *3
V.s Faroh [roll4] if hits [roll5] crits are *3
V.s Relic [roll6] if hits [roll7] crits are *3
V.s Grace [roll8] if hits [roll9] crits are *3

Starbuck_II
2011-02-13, 09:50 AM
1st round now?
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Starbuck_II
2011-02-13, 10:03 AM
Barge uses Vigor on himself, overchannel +1 (with talented):
30 temp hp
Look alive all, they have got us in an ambush

Flip skuttles over 30 feet so he can better see the creatures and fires a ray of frost from Soul of the North (weak feat but he has no attacks otherwise) at any orc randomly.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Grace moves 15 feet closer buffs herself with +1 Deflection AC from Caul of shadows.
I wish I wore armor.

Norpfang
2011-02-13, 10:53 AM
OOC:go a head and act you turn tell every body has went then repeat ill rearrange them in the proper init later encounters ill post all your init rolls so u can tell every ones order right away

The Next shot fired by Fletch vaporized the hobgoblin before he could finish mocking the failed first shot. Has your attack finished you feel the warm breath of a dog followed up by a ripping sound has the cover you were in is now a pile of smoldering twigs and ashes. It appears that one of those beasts has sneaked up on you.

The ray hits the creature dead in the face causing its helm to fall off. Its orange skin turning purple from the bruising of the cold

Drawing his sword frozen face hobgoblin jumps down the cliff lands at barges feat and swings his blade harmlessly above your head.
(AOO for Barge and Grace)

The other ones continue to rain there arrows this time all of which fall short of your bodies.

Just then from out of the run down building an important looking hobgoblin followed by a hellhound rush towards the chaos.

Obrysii
2011-02-13, 11:02 AM
Shoot, didn't see this link. I'll post once this combat is over.

Norpfang
2011-02-13, 11:06 AM
OOC: Obrysiithere gonna need you for combat. Just go next you haven't missed any of your turns yet

ghostaxe
2011-02-13, 12:31 PM
Er... What? I'm confused what happened:

Round 0: fletch fires and misses. Hellhound moves toward fletch stealthily. Orcs fire arrows.

Round 1: fletch rapid shots 2 arrows.

Now, you say the shot was vaporized by hell hound's fire breath. But the only way it cam do that is if it readied an action to breath as soon as fletch fires, which means it has a higher init than fletch. Breathing is a standard action, so then it can't take another standard action to vaporize the other shot, or to rip through my cover...

ghostaxe
2011-02-13, 12:38 PM
Also, the fire breath does 2d6 fire damage. Ammo has 5 hardness and 5 hp, and fire damage is halved vs objects. Even a max damage roll of 12 would only do (12/2)-5 = 1 damage to the arrow, so the arrow emerges a little burnt but still capable of killing its intended foe.

Norpfang
2011-02-13, 12:48 PM
No sry for misunderstanding poor wording on my part ima try and be more clear. thats what i get for typing be fore i eat breakfest lol

you over killed the hobgoblin facing you (your electrical damage vaporized the Hobgoblin not the fire breath vaporizing the arrow)

Hellhound missed you with a bite but managed to destroy your cover (bite deals heat damage)

Obrysii
2011-02-13, 01:31 PM
"Sorry I'm late," Austin said, her voice smooth as silk - and dark as she could muster. "I'll help in just a second."

She began to cast a spell.

On her turn, Alex will begin to cast Summon Undead III.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-13, 01:35 PM
Attack of opportunities:
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Norpfang
2011-02-13, 02:38 PM
Both AOO fail to hit him has he gathers himself from the fall

All of this occurs after you guys act

the 4 on top notice Austin starting to cast a spell 2 attempt to shoot her down while the others divide amongst Relic and Barge

V.s Austin:
one missed the other stick into her clothes barley missing her
V.s Relic
This hobgoblin seams to suck so bad at archery he shot himself in the foot. and drops his bow

V.s Barge
thrown off only by his all being so close he dose not hit ether

Has Barge is locked in combat with the Hobgoblin he starts to hears a disembodied gruff voice recite a draconic dialect and the frost bitten bruises on his foe seam to retract into nothing.

The Hobgoblin strikes Barge
Barges luck isn't going to to continue however has the one he is in close proximity with guts him right in the chest dealing [roll0] *2 damage

Fletch narrowly avoids being burned alive by the flames spewing from the Hell hounds Mouth but takes 3 fire damage

The Hobgoblin leader with his pet draws out 2 big swords and charges towards the core of your group will be their next turn

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-13, 03:49 PM
Relic casts Shield of Faith on himself, getting +3 to his Deflection AC.

"If they weren't so terrible at shooting, I might be worried."

Sorry for the late post, got struck down with an illness last night and am still trying to fight it off.

ghostaxe
2011-02-13, 03:58 PM
Wait, the hell hound next to Fletch already attacked with bite and missed. Also, Fletch has Evasion and a +11 Reflex save. Does he still get burned?

ghostaxe
2011-02-13, 04:00 PM
On his next turn, Fletch takes a 5' step back and Rapid shots the Hell hound that tried to attack him.

Shot 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] + [roll2](elec)

Shot 2: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] + [roll5](elec)

ghostaxe
2011-02-13, 04:06 PM
Sorry for triple-post. The first was a crit threat. Confirmation:

[roll0]. Assuming it confirms, the triple damage presumably kills the Hellhound immediately, and Fletch directs his second arrow at the other Hell Hound.

Edit: Guess it doesn't confirm, just a normal hit. Second arrow also goes to the first hell hound.

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-13, 05:35 PM
Forgot Init:

[roll0]

Norpfang
2011-02-13, 07:56 PM
OOC yeah I got a crit fail for you so you took half damage through your evasion sry.

Fletch's first arrow kills the Hound dropping it dead the 2nd sticks into a tree sparks sizzling from the tip has the electricity burns a hole into it. You are now standing in a deep pile of Black blood seeping from his wounds

White energy forms into a shield of light rotating around Relic.

Barge is up next
rotating back to
Fletch
Monsters
Austin 2nd turn
Relic
then Faroh when he shows

ghostaxe
2011-02-13, 10:16 PM
On his turn, Fletch moves to a new area w cover and fires at the other hell hound.

Hide: [roll0]

Shoot: [roll1] vs flatfooted ac
Damage: [roll2] +[roll3] electric +[roll4] sneak attack

Starbuck_II
2011-02-13, 10:33 PM
Barge manifest defensively with Flip moving over aid another him on this. Barge blasts energy stun (electricity) on The Hobgoblin leader + pet if 5 feet by each other (hard to see by description).
If they aren't than Entangling ectoplasm on Leader.

[roll0] Can't fail as 9+1=10.

[roll1]

If Energy stun Electric (4 pp) both take 2d6 damage: (DC 19 Reflex 1/2) / [(failing that) DC 19 Will save for stun 1 rd.]

If Entangling ectoplasm, 1 pp:
[roll2], Dur 5 rd entangled like tanglefoot bag.

Grace takes a 5 foot steps back and cast mezmerizing shade on the hobgoblin that attacked Barge.
DC 14 Will save partial. Fail save dazed 1 rd. Succeed: -1 hit, check, saves for 1 rd.

Norpfang
2011-02-13, 10:37 PM
the Hound falls over dead

2 Hobgoblins shoot at Fletch after moving 30 feat his way. angry at the loss of their companion
[roll0] if hit [roll1]
[roll2] if hit [roll3]
one of which sinks into fletches shoulder
2 shoot at Austin in hopes of disrupting her casting and the
[roll4] if hit [roll5]
[roll6] if hit [roll7]
both of which fail again

the one melee Hob strikes this time at Grace only to fail again.
[roll8] if hit [roll9]

Noticing his pet go down the Lead Hobgoblin screams in anger charges right up next to Relic Ignoring the energy being launched at him by Barge has if it was nothing though you can clearly see a decent sized burn mark across his chest. cursing has his 2 fell swoops are dodged with no effort.( His positioning gives him an AOO from Barge and Relic)
[roll10] if hit [roll11]
[roll12] if hit [roll13]

From the forest north 6 more hob goblins come in and a robed Hobgoblin flickers into view while trying to climb up towards the injured Goblin

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 12:51 AM
Fletch, from his concealed shooting area, casts extended sniper's shot and rapid shots 2 different archers.

Shot 1: [roll0] vs flatfooted ac, damage [roll1] +[roll2] elect +[roll3] sneak

Shot 2: [roll4] vs flatfooted ac, damage [roll5] +[roll6] elect +[roll7] sneak

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 12:55 AM
killing both

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-14, 01:49 AM
(No AOO from Relic, he isn't threatening any squares)

After Austin goes, Relic will 5-ft step away from the guy closest to him, cast entangle on the new arrivals getting as many of them as possible (If the robed figure is near the group then I'll try and get him as well.)

It's a 40' radius spread. DC 15 reflex to avoid getting entangled. If you're entangled then a full round action DC 20 STR or Escape Artist check to break free. Walking through the area halves moment speed. At the beginning of my next turn, if there's someone in the area that's not entangled then they have to save again.

This continues for 6 minutes.

ColonelFuster
2011-02-14, 05:56 AM
I missed this link somehow, sorry I'm late to the party. I would dearly love a map to see where a lightningball would do the most good.
Your companion, Faroh, comes back from exploring the wood and balks at the sight. The first thing he sees is the hobgoblin leader rushing at Barge and Relic, the only people whom he could have an intelligent conversation with.
He rushes up to somewhere behind Walker, who creeped him out but has proved before he was a good person (and capable of taking a hit).
He takes one hand off his staff of office and directs his thumb and first finger at the hobgoblin leader.
"Jyotis zalya!"
Scorching ray, lightning substitution. Both rays aimed at the leader.
ranged touch attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1]
ranged touch attack: [roll2] damage: [roll3]

Obrysii
2011-02-14, 07:20 AM
Still trying to figure out how initiative works in this, as everyone just seems to be posting at random. Can't play a game where there's literally no structure - that's why I play d20 and not just free-form.

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 08:26 AM
the ground near Austin begins to darken has a skeletal hand reaches up from the ground and her spell completes

Farohs first spell goes off course while the second nocks the blade bearer straight into the ground.

In a few minutes with ease you take out the out the rest of the hobgoblins with ease adding 3 to Fletches count.

You are currently standing in the middle of the road with the tied up lead hobgoblin. His breathing heavy for the long combat ashamed at himself for his lack of good fighting.

(did this to speed the game up the reinforcments wood have taken forever.
house rule summon Mon/Nat/ or undead last and hour per lvl and can bet out 1 at a time)

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 08:47 AM
You can clearly tell the holly symbol he carries is of Tiamat.

Loot 355gp
12 studded leather armors
12 light crossbows and long swords
2 +1 short Swords
+1 banded Mail
Light steal Shield

The Blade master struggles when you reach for his short swords trying to kill himself in the name of his gods

Obrysii
2011-02-14, 09:33 AM
"I am sorry I got here so late," Kailey said - shifting slightly, looking over the skeleton she had summoned - a troll skeleton, she was pleased with it, she looked to the others, "What caused the fight?"

Starbuck_II
2011-02-14, 10:06 AM
This rapscallian decided to rob us. Actually, I just remember him attacking, but I assume for money. His men shot arrows at us so we attacked back. Question is what to do with him now?

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 10:54 AM
for init, all the monsters are moving on the same init count and PCs move in whatever order after the monsters. Basically, take a turn after dm resolves monster actions.

Rolling high init basically gives you an extra move before monsters act. In this case, Fletch got 2 extra rounds because he acted in surprise round for noticing monsters, and and then because of high init

Fletch plucks his arrows from his fallen foes, keeping the ones that can be reconditioned and tossing those that can't.

"Well, I'll take a quick look around and see if there are hostages from their previous ambushes."

Search take 20= 33 for any hidden people, documents, or loot.

Obrysii
2011-02-14, 12:46 PM
"I'll see if there's anything magical around," the necromancer said, as she cast detect magic - it seemed she was modestly skilled in the arcane arts.

Her skeletal minion stool, staring blankly forward, awaiting its command.

I found a picture for my character!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/obrysii/__traitor___by_moni158-d36grnr.png

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 03:09 PM
Nothing else of note can be discovered at at the moment BladeMaster does however seams to be makeing signals with his eyes towards the woods. If any of you look at him he says
Get away from me you filthy soft skinzz. soon your precious world will be over run by my Godess. you notice a yellow crusty letter crumbled up in his pocket.

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 03:14 PM
Fletch whispers to Relic, "Say, you wanna do that plant thing again over there? I think he has a friend lurking around there who's invisible."

Fletch then takes the letter and proceeds to read it, all in the mean-time paying close attention from the corners of his eyes to movement in that part of the forest.

Spot: [roll0]

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 03:18 PM
can your read goblin or draconic

you see no sign of hostile life

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 03:19 PM
Fletch can in fact read both Goblin and Draconic.

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 03:29 PM
while having to focus every now and then to switch languages you read

Soon those unworthy scum will be wiped out Please follow and kill any reinforcments to that pathetic human town. We will be there in a few days. At your rate of travel you should be able to meet the force at the bridge....

signed Lieutenant Karkilan.. For the Red Hand Apart of the middle seams to have bean ruined in the combat through blood stains and ripping.

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 04:06 PM
Fletch translates the message to his companions.
"Well now, looks like we caught ourselves someone who's not just a normal bandit here."

Fletch binds the prisoner with his Silk Rope.
Use Rope: [roll0]

Then Fletch gets out his paring knife and slides it along the hobgoblin's ankles... not quite hard enough to draw blood, but sufficient to get the meaning across. "So, who is this Karkilan? You better start telling us everything you know. By the way, have I told you how fond I am of fresh hobgoblin sashimi?"

Fletch isn't really going to eat the hobgoblin alive, just in case there are any questions about Fletch's alignment.

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 04:43 PM
You clearly dont intimidate him he spits at you ha Izz not care for your threatz Ull never spot are forcez. Hezz no consirn to uzz. Kill me da great Queen of Dragons shall make take me up into her domainz. He struggles to reach the dagger but fails.

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 05:03 PM
"Well, unless someone else has some better ideas, I vote we knock him out and take 'im to town where others can take their time interrogating him."

Fletch resumes his position toward the rear of the group.

Obrysii
2011-02-14, 05:10 PM
"Oh, no - no," Austin said, her voice sickly-sweet. "You'll come to my domain, sweetie - would you like that? I can talk to the dead, you know - perhaps you'll be more willing to talk that way?"

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 05:16 PM
Silly girl Tiamat will rule all Just then an arrow head flying from the direction he was motioning towards a few seconds ago. Sinking right into his head. Has you turn around a dark robed figure vanishes from the scene.

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 05:24 PM
Fletch Init Roll: [roll0]

Fletch Spot check to see/remember where the arrow came from: [roll1]

If Fletch wins Init and sees the source, he rapid shots the square the arrow came from (taking the 50% miss chance).

Attack 1: [roll2] vs Flat-footed AC (for winning Init)
Damage: [roll3] +[roll4] Electric + [roll5] Sneak
Miss chance: [roll6] >50 = hit

Attack 2: [roll7] vs Flat-footed AC (for winning Init)
Damage: [roll8] +[roll9] Electric + [roll10] Sneak
Miss chance: [roll11] >50 = hit

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 05:25 PM
Ooh! Another Crit threat, and I made my miss chance.

[roll0] vs flat-footed AC.

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 05:27 PM
Your skills allow you to hit the figure but your arrow and his body are long gone

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 05:31 PM
Was it a crit? If so, that was 34*3 = 102 damage. He needs to make a Fort save (DC 15) vs massive damage or die immediately, even if he does have over 102 HP.

Fletch turns to Austin and says, "Well, I hope you weren't bluffing when you said you could speak with corpses."

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 05:36 PM
you are unsure of his current situation has he is vanished however you don't feel any new energy coming from your bow

OOC: hes at a lvl way out of your league

ColonelFuster
2011-02-14, 06:10 PM
Faroh gives a grim expression as their captive falls. "I think you're right, friend. This situation looks much worse." He takes his staff in one hand, grips the bottom with a foot, and strokes his chin with the other hand. "We should warn the village."

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-14, 06:11 PM
"I think it would be prudent of us to go to Drellins Ferry and tell them about what looks to be an attack and have them seek shelter. At the very least we could leave the leaders with this information and then go explore the keep."

Relic ponders something for a moment, chewing on his pipe as he does so. "Do you have any idea what bridge they might be referring to? If the force is small enough we could ambush them there, or just destroy the bridge."

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 06:21 PM
your Map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36844791@N00/214891323/)

where do you head

Obrysii
2011-02-14, 07:17 PM
For a minute, Kailey would be able to see the spirit of the dead, and even talk to it - she spoke quietly, "Who is continuing to attack us? What is going on?"

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 07:22 PM
"Rather than destroy the bridge, I say we get some able-bodied men and guard that as a choke. Shoot 'em as they come. The bodies will pile up and form an uncrossable hill on the bridge."

When Kailey is done speaking with the corpse, Fletch continues,

"No use dawdling. Let's head towards Drellin's ferry, tell them about the hobgoblins, and then go check out the army. Maybe we can knock off some leaders and then they'll disperse."

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 07:24 PM
The great mmmaaaassssstter willllll kill aaaallllll of you. All i will tell you gravespawn is soon dragons will walk the earth. The prophesy of the age of Tiamat will come true. Knowledge Religion or History

The clouds above you seam to darken has you wait for Austin to finish speaking with the dead

Starbuck_II
2011-02-14, 09:30 PM
"Rather than destroy the bridge, I say we get some able-bodied men and guard that as a choke. Shoot 'em as they come. The bodies will pile up and form an uncrossable hill on the bridge."

Not a bad plan, but if that thing got away that shot at the leader, they might be prepared.

Barge was worried about the Red Hand symbol.

Norpfang
2011-02-14, 10:39 PM
After talking to the dead you learn basically that a war is brewing up threatening to consume the Elsir Vale in chaos in the name of the god Tiamat.

Assuming you follow Fletches suggestion has you have nothing left to learn hear. You all head towards the town.

The road descends into a small town built mostly on the near side of a broad, sluggish river. 6 old stone piers jut from the water, marking the spot where a bridge ounce stood, but the span itself is long gone. Instead, a couple of long thick ropes cross the river, each secured to a flat-bottomed ferryboat. Brown fields and green orchards surround the town. A group of armed townsfolk- 3 in leather, one in mail- stands guard, watching you warily. "Halt and state your business strangers," One of the guards says. His eyes focused on Faroh.

The lighting would be about mid day if it were not for the storm clouds.

ghostaxe
2011-02-14, 10:54 PM
Fletch and the others stuff the various loot into their packs before heading off to Drellin's Ferry (with the number of PCs, I think we should be able to carry everything...).

"We're just passing through. But this here hobgob ambushed us, and ranted some about an invasion of your town. 'Course, if you let us talk to someone actually in charge, we might be able to divulge a little more info."

Fletch hefts and tosses the corpse of the hobgob at the guard's feet with ease.

"Oh, we also have some armor, swords, and crossbows for sale or trade with your merchants."

ColonelFuster
2011-02-15, 03:52 AM
Faroh smiles at the honesty of Fletch, and adds, "Of course, good sir, our main purpose here is to protect your town. Selling our spoils is but a happy side effect." He tilts his head to the side and gives a superhumanly large smile. "We will, of course, be partaking in food, shelter, and council with your cooks, innkeepers, and town guard respectively."

Obrysii
2011-02-15, 06:56 AM
"Our business?" Kailey said - that singsong voice that seemed to defy her looks, "Oh, we're just travelers, that's all."

She was a bit distracted - the spirit had mentioned Tiamat's prophecy - what could that be? She wasn't sure.

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll1]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll2]

Norpfang
2011-02-15, 08:45 AM
I see! where were these Hobgoblins. They have been skulking around hear for days now. You are most lucky you got through. Has for where you can stay, the Old Bridge Inn is just ahead, on your left. You can try the Green Apple but I prefer the Old Bridge by far. Take your time here I will fetch our speaker to meat you at the INN. Is there anything else

All Austin can tell is she remembers reading about the prophesy in a text book. Something about a Blue Dragon Man massing an army and turning the world over to the goddess of Chromatic Dragons Tiamat. You think youll do better sleeping on it

Before you can delve any further into thoughts. its starts to down poor slowly at first.

ghostaxe
2011-02-15, 12:58 PM
Fletch frowned and turned to his companions.
"The letter mentioned something happening within the next few days, and it's only noon. We probably shouldn't dilly dally here too long, and a little rain sure isn't going to stop us. Let's split up talking to the town leader and buying/selling gear. Meet back here in an hour? I can do purchases, let me know what you want."

Fletch will buy another 1000 arrows (50 gp). They aren't as good quality as his own, but it sounded like he'll need a whole bunch of them.

EDIT: Fletch also buys another 4 Scrolls of Shield (100gp), and 2 Scrolls of Ray of Stupidity (300gp).

Obrysii
2011-02-15, 01:33 PM
The rain bothered her. She moved to sit beneath the awning at a local pub - and ordered a simple meal, staring out into the rain-coated market place. She had few things to buy - spell components, things like that. But it could wait for now.

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-15, 01:54 PM
Relic also visits the local tavern and orders a hot cup of broth. Should they reconnoiter any locations tonight, it will likely end up being a cold and wet night. He also takes a position under the awning and stares out blankly, putting his thoughts in order for the upcoming night, the implications of a large scale war and the involvement of Tiamat.

Norpfang
2011-02-15, 03:20 PM
The Guards bid you farwell though they still suspicously Eye Faroh. for clear reasons

The nearest Tavern happening to be the Old Bridge Inn decently sized with at least every table full. At one table is an important looking man in red robes who is beconning to you. He is siting with a Tall armoured Women with 3 extra drinks at the table.

Fletchs trip takes him through a market uneventful thanks to the weather.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-15, 03:26 PM
Barge decides to get some soup at the tavern before they go. Been a week since he had a good bowl. Grace joins him in the meal. She always seems to follow him around. Flip turned back legs go away so he can pretend to be a crystal and hide in Barge's backpack.

ColonelFuster
2011-02-15, 03:34 PM
Faroh Walks about in the rain reading notes the notes that he jots down in the margins of his spellbook. Where normal pages would soak and the ink would run, his stay mysteriously dry, as if the water didn't notice it was there, so it didn't aim for it. The waterproof enchantment that he meant for sea voyages worked equally well in storms.
He looked up to the sky and sighed. If only the skies would just darken a bit more, if the thunder would start, and maybe, a bit of lightning. He grinned hugely and stared back down at his spellbook, "Taana eva priya pravaata nabha kimapi iva zubhra dinakara," he muttered to himself, relishing the poetry of the language. Without thinking, he translated, "Those very persons loved the storm more than the bright sun. And now, I am one of them."

He thought of the stuffy wizards he learned from in the arcane college, never daring to go outside when it was raining, preferring comfort to experience. The real, raw nature of power escaped them; he would find it in the clouds. He laughed at the memory of what his teacher's face looked like when he got on a ship and sailed off, with no more promise for pay than that of some terrible hurricanes.

"HYAH hoohoohoo HYAHA!"

Norpfang
2011-02-15, 03:45 PM
Ironically 1 min after Faroh thinks those thoughts it starts to Thunder

meanwhile back at the Tavern the Man walks over to you two and speaks Hi I am Norro Wiston the town speaker I recently heard of your encounter and would like a quick chat. That is the captain of the guard Soranna. Could you help our people he says gesturing over to the lady at the table he was just at.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-15, 03:51 PM
"Are you referring to me", Barge asks.
What kind of trouble are you referring to?

Norpfang
2011-02-15, 04:41 PM
Ounce you have all seatedOur Town is Under Attack,
Hobgoblin raiders have been harrying our lands for several days now. They've attacked and killed people in the outlying homesteads, and they've been waylaying travelers along Dawn Way."
Captain Soranna
We've some trouble with them before- a quick raid on homesteads on the west side of the river from time to time- but this is different. It looks like a large aggressive tribe has moved down out of the wyrmsmoke Mountains. Frankly, I fear they may be numerous enough to sack the town.
Beyond the immediate threat to our homes, the road is our life blood, Norro continues If the goblins make the Dawn way Impassable to the west, trade wont come this way, and we'll be ruined. Not only do we need to repel the raiders from our town, but we've got to keep the road open. Can you help us do it?

ghostaxe
2011-02-16, 12:15 AM
Some time after the others started discussions, Fletch enters the inn as well. Not recognizing Norro amd Soranna, Fletch gives them a polite nod, and then speaks to his companions. "Whenever you're ready, let's get going. The letter said an attack is forthcoming within days. Did you all figure out which bridge they're refering to?"

Fletch takes out the letter and gestures at the passage that mentioned the bridge.

Norpfang
2011-02-16, 12:18 AM
a bridge you say there are plenty of those. The biggest of which is at Skull Gorge

ghostaxe
2011-02-16, 12:38 AM
Fletch turns to Norro, and says, "Say, you got a scholar here? I know a smattering of Goblin and Draconic, but an expert might get more out of this message, and this Red Hand invasion that they mention."

"Anyway, not to sound pushy, but these hobgobs seem to be running a tight schedule... They said they'll be to the bridge in a few days in the letter, and who knows how many days ago the letter was sent.

So we better get going as well. Go stop them and all. If you have archers to spare, it might good to send them to guard this bridge."

Starbuck_II
2011-02-16, 07:18 AM
Before Fletch walked in:
Sure, my partners and I just took down a few hobbys. We could attempt to stop them if we come across any.

After fletch asks about bridge:
Any reason it is called Skull bridge?

Norpfang
2011-02-16, 08:49 AM
Well its over a really large Gorge other than that I dont know.

Obrysii
2011-02-16, 09:36 AM
Austin stood against the wall near to the door of the tavern, watching the mission being delegated out. She had no problem with stopping such creatures - they might even make suitable experiments; she had little major testing of her abilities in combat - and there were many choices to be had.

"I will go with, of course," she said simply.

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-16, 11:50 AM
"I believe I speak for the group when I say that the safety of you and your village are at the forefront of our minds. I was thinking that it would be prudent of us to scout out one of the locations of interest tonight. It would be uncomfortable, but the rain would make it much easier to move about without unnecessary attentions. How far is the large bridge from here?"

Relic looks through some of the notes that he's been absentmindedly doodling over the course of the night.

"While we're on the topic of possible locations where the enemy might be; We were originally brought here by a map which detailed the location of a "Vraath Keep". Do you know of it? If so; How far is it from here? Has there been unusual activity around there as well?"

Relic finishes the last of his hot broth as he finishes the last of his inquisitions.

"Of course, while protecting this town and it's inhabitants is our pleasure, it's also definitely or very dangerous business. What can you offer us as a reward for dealing with this threat?"

Norpfang
2011-02-16, 03:17 PM
Ahh that keep. Some say its haunted. Both these places you are looking for are around in the witchwood. Do you have a map. I can mark them.

if you plan on traveling the woods Id advise you seak out Jorr he knows that place better than anyone. Its out of the way but can be worth it. The way I see it you can ether go down Dawn Way and go right or Witch trail and head left. He should be near black water.

If you want to explore Vraath keep how ever follow dawn way.

When do you plan on heading out we cant give you much but we have some supplies.

ghostaxe
2011-02-16, 03:40 PM
"I have no preference for which path, but only insist they we depart immediately. I doubt we'll need a guide to just follow a road or trail."

Obrysii
2011-02-16, 05:52 PM
"There are a few supplies I wish to pick up before we go," Austin said - "I'll be back and meet you at the road."

She left - heading towards the various markets to locate a cloak that would enhance her charisma, various raw materials for her spells, and a basic backpack and gear for the road.

Specifically she is going to buy a Cloak of Charisma +2 and traveler's stuff.

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-17, 12:48 AM
"As partial payment for this mission, I was wondering if we could get some mounts on loan. Some old tired mares and a pony should supply us well enough, if it could be managed."

Regardless of the answer, Relic will go visit this Jorr, while Austin is shopping, and see what he can offer the group.

Norpfang
2011-02-17, 08:34 AM
Jorrs cabin is a few miles down the road but you hear he some times stops at town to refresh his supplies.

ghostaxe
2011-02-18, 10:33 PM
Fletch grows increasingly impatient with the longwinded nature of some of his companions, and particularly with the suggestion that they go find some *guide* just to follow a trail. Noticing that Faroh was not welcomed by the locals and had wandered off, Fletch seeks out Faroh.

"Hey there, Faroh. All this talking business is getting on my nerves. You wanna go scout out that Keep we're here for, while the others take their sweet time indoors? Come on, you and me, we're real men, we don't fear no rain!"

(We arrived in Drellin's Ferry in mid-day, let's say 1pm. Fletch shopped (30 min), looked around for prey (1 hr), and then chatted briefly with them. It's 3 pm when he meets up with Faroh.)

Norpfang
2011-02-18, 10:47 PM
lol its been a while sense we last posted got mixed up with other game ya its about 3:30ish

After some map investigation you estimate the fastest way to the keep would be to cut through Witch Wood

ColonelFuster
2011-02-19, 04:28 AM
Faroh grins widely.

"Thank you, Fletch. I was hoping for some company this fine evening. I believe scouting ahead is exactly what we need. The woods would be a fine place to maybe observe some lightning," he said casually, as if it were the most natural and pleasant thing in the world, like birdsong. "What is the situation, with us, you know, saving the town, and all that?" He says in a disconnected, distracted way, trying to see if he had caught someone looking out the window at him like a curiosity.

ghostaxe
2011-02-19, 05:35 AM
"Dunno. I told them all the important parts about the bridge and the army and the letter, and even recommended for them to get a scholar to study the letter for more clues. That Norro guy--sorry, Norro's the town leader--Norro instead was ranting about his friend Jorr. I kinda got up and left when Norro started. Man, I hope I don't get that fussy when I turn old.

Anyway, from the map it looks like both the bridge and the keep are much closer through the Witchwood. Let's get going. Bet you a silver they'll still be yakking away when we get back?"

Fletch and Faroh are heading off on their own through the Witchwood then! Onwards to the keep first.

Norpfang
2011-02-19, 07:45 AM
about 1 hour into your walk you come across a scene.

A wide expanse of dark water has flooded the woodland in the low valley. Trees still protrude from the calm, dark waters here and there, but many large reaches seem to be little more than pools of algae-choked water. The trill of frogs and whine of insects fill the air. The forest path leads right down to the edge of the flooded section, up to a rickety- looking causeway made of thick planks of wood lashed together with mossy rope. The wooden causeway runs for several hundred feet through the bogy patch, only a foot or so above the water.

Un ahead you can make out a wreckage of a wagon, lying on its side and half sunk in the flooded forest, about 30 ft from the causeway.

every else might want to RP a way to catch up

ghostaxe
2011-02-19, 11:06 AM
Since now the traveling group size has been markedly reduced, Fletch will be walking very close to Faroh. The two will try to be as stealthy as possible, given the rain, the two probably are just chatting as they walk.

Fletch is ever vigilant for potential attackers though, and has his bow in his right hand, and the scroll of Ray of Stupidity in his left.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

(From OOC thread:)
Fletch readies an action to shoot if something attacks.

Attack: (1d20+9)[20]
Damage: (1d8+5)[9] +(4d6)[15]

Norpfang
2011-02-19, 11:38 AM
just ahead you can see a spot in the water that is more Gassy then the rest. has ripples trace to directly underneath the part of the causeway you are on.

Init:
Fletch [roll0]
Faroh [roll1]
DM [roll2]

Starbuck_II
2011-02-19, 11:55 AM
Back at the Tavern:
Where are Fletch and Faroh?

Probably traveling to the keep, master. Grace answered.

Well than I'm not one miss out on action, guess I'll go looking for the others since my meals done.

Barge is walking arounmd town look for the two using (using telepathy) Relic and Allen are you guys coming to the keep with me? The others already left and I think they might need us so they don't get in trouble.

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-19, 01:33 PM
"I would be happy to go to the Keep with you. I would, however, suggest that we visit this fellow "Jorr" at his place on our way to the Keep. He could hold some promising information. At the very least he is considered an expert on the area. That could certainly have its uses."

Relic pauses for a moment.

"Wait, the others already left? What in the world would posses them to do so?"

He starts checking all his things before setting off, but seems in no major hurry.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-19, 02:24 PM
Yes, I think Faroh and Fletch are already gone; I'm still looking for Allen.

Norpfang
2011-02-19, 06:28 PM
At the combat 6 Huge Serpent heads the colored in brown and green smudges bursts out of the water 2 follow Fletch 2 follow Faroh and 2 right under the causeway.

The of the 2 heading for Fletch only 1 hits but it hits critically Biting right into his chest dealing 12 points of damage

Faroh also manages to get missed buy 1 but the other deals a 5 damage to him has it snaps at him.

The Causeway is the least lucky of them all roll a Ref DC20 or fall into the Swamp Water

ghostaxe
2011-02-19, 07:37 PM
Fletch reflex save: [roll0]

Fletch takes a 5ft step back and rapid shots the hydra. Since the hydra hasn't taken its first normal round yet, it's flatfooted.

First arrow is "special".

Attack 1: [roll1] ([roll2] > 50 not destroyed if miss)
Damage: [roll3] +[roll4]

Attack 2: [roll5] ([roll6] > 50 not destroyed if miss)
Damage: [roll7] +[roll8]

Norpfang
2011-02-20, 12:28 AM
**** i am out of it today i need to get some sleep ill edit it to fix when my brain works.

ColonelFuster
2011-02-20, 12:31 AM
Faroh scrambles around on the breaking bridge, trying to get his footing stable
[roll0]
and, regardless of whether he falls in the water or not, casts a lightning-ball at the creature's body,
[roll1]
hoping that the resulting charge will be amplified by the water. On second thought, casting a lightning spell into water that you were also in might not be a good idea, his common sense says to him at the moment of impact. His face furrows into a horrified gape as the ball explodes.

ghostaxe
2011-02-20, 12:48 AM
Faroh's an INT 4 sorceror, right? :smallbiggrin:

Norpfang
2011-02-20, 12:59 AM
While the Lightning bolt brings the hydra down to a condition of near death the lightning bolt is amplified by the swamps waters shattering the causeway and anything within the water or near it into pieces. Rocks of shale fly every where there explosive properties only serving to ignite the methane already in the swamp.

Faroh you over killed this monster by likr 5 times over. I dont want to kill you guys but even with evasion both of you took to much damage. I have an interesting situation for this

The 2 of you wake up in the middle of the night. pieces of just about everything in the swamp are floating around. all of your gear that cannot stand 100 lightning damage and 36 Fire Damage is long gone. Both of you have sever burn markings and have by some stroke of luck survived. The Voltage has apparently scrambled all your brains. Farohs Physical Body now contains Not only His own thoughts but Fletches and the Hydras. you must maintain a superior will save to control the body. Looking over at Fletches Life less body you see he cant last long without a means of sustenance. The rest of your party is looking over you attempting to do their best to heal you.

ghostaxe
2011-02-20, 01:10 AM
Er... I'm going to have to Rules-Lawyer again. There's several things wrong here.

First, the lightning ball presumably didn't include us in the blast area, so the basic 20 damage does not exist.

Second, even with amplifying lightning damage by water, it's hard to see 100 electric damage and 36 fire damage (Where does fire come from!?). Otherwise, you can have an unstoppable combo of a 1st level Cleric who casts the 0th level Create Water and a 1st level Wizard who casts Electricity Substituted Burning Hands. Doing 100 electric damage when the real spell has only 20 damage isn't cool man, I'd argue that an extra 10 (at the very most, an extra 20) would be reasonable. Plus we didn't take the initial 20 from the blast.

Same thing with Fire and hay or oil. You can't set up a death-trap with 100 pints of oil, and then light it up with a Fireball for 100d3 damage. Well, I mean you could rule that way, but sanity kind of demands that you don't, otherwise what's the point of having Meteor Swarms? All you need in 100 gp worth of oil, and a 3rd level spell.

Third, Evasion makes it so that Fletch takes *no* damage on a successful save... even if the damage would have been 58 million. So it's not fair to automatically assume that Fletch would have died. Fletch's items use Fletch's saves, as per Rules as Written.

EDIT: Fourth, I really dislike having unrealistic outcomes (we survive but everything within a 500 ft radius, including our gear, is fried). I'd rather have Fletch just die if that's what you're going to rule, and then whip up a new character.

ColonelFuster
2011-02-20, 01:12 AM
Third, Evasion makes it so that Fletch takes *no* damage on a successful save... even if the damage would have been 58 million. So it's not fair to automatically assume that Fletch would have died. Fletch's items use Fletch's saves, as per Rules as Written.

This. I don't mind having Faroh get whacked, I can always make a new character; but Fletch was a well-thought out character with a ready defense for something like this.

ghostaxe
2011-02-20, 01:25 AM
Colonel, it's fine actually if Fletch dies (for example if he fails his Reflex save). I have a level 5 cleric build who simply can't die of HP damage that I could play next. It's just that I want Fletch to have the chance he's entitled to.

Obrysii
2011-02-20, 08:50 AM
Ok, no clue what's going on. Why can't you guys even WAIT for the rest of the party to post?

I'm so freaking close to quitting. My character basically doesn't even EXIST in this game. SO why should I bother with it?