PDA

View Full Version : Incantatrix with rays?

mrcarter11
2011-02-12, 11:46 AM
Simple question, that I just don't know the answer too.
The Incantatrix's class feature Metamagic Effect says that to use it you have to be next to the spell's effect. So does that mean Metamagic Effect won't work with ray spells, since your firing them at something 30 ft away?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

pinwiz
2011-02-12, 02:34 PM
No, it won't work with rays because they are not persistent spell effects, as most are instantaneous duration. Now, if the ray caused a persistent spell effect, you could use metamagic effect only if you were within the normal constraints of metamagic effect. So it would work with ray of Exhaustion.

Douglas
2011-02-12, 03:34 PM
I'm not certain, but your post gives me the impression that you have a certain rather major misconception. In case I'm right: Metamagic Effect is applied to a spell that has already been cast, is already in effect, and has already begun its duration. It cannot be used on a spell that you are casting right that moment. In addition, using Metamagic Effect is its own standard action - you cannot* cast a normal standard-action spell and use Metamagic Effect in the same round.

*Unless you have more than one standard action for that round, such as with a Belt of Battle or by casting Celerity.