PDA

View Full Version : just an idea that i have been toying with, 3.5

gallagher
2011-02-12, 02:30 PM
so i have been toying around with an NPC for the past few minutes, and i have been wondering how and if this build would work, and what it's weaknesses are

Monk 2/Wiz3/Enlightened fist 3/Cleric 1/Sacred Fist 1/ Mystic Theurge 10.

that would give me 15 caster levels in wizard and 12 in cleric. i could fit in DMM persist i believe and keep some good buffs up, especially divine power.

the goal of this was to make a funky monk with enough casting to make up for the holes in the monk class. also, i find it quite silly, which is pretty much all i need to want to play a class.

feats (with 2 flaws) combat casting, Persist Spell, DMM persist, Practiced Spellcaster x2, improved initiative, and i dont know what else.

of course he would need a monks belt and an amulet of natural fists, and i am also thinking a collar of umbral metamorphosis

thoughts? i know it is terribly unoptimized, but i think it would be kind of fun

SurlySeraph
2011-02-12, 03:47 PM
It doesn't have much of a leg up over a straight Mystic Theurge, and taking all the feats necessary for Sacred Fist and then only taking one level doesn't make much sense to me. But if all you want is a dual-caster who's good at punching things, you've got it.

Qwertystop
2011-02-12, 03:50 PM
It'd have a fairly big multiclassing XP penalty, unless I've misread the rules for that (not too unlikely).

gallagher
2011-02-12, 06:34 PM
It doesn't have much of a leg up over a straight Mystic Theurge, and taking all the feats necessary for Sacred Fist and then only taking one level doesn't make much sense to me. But if all you want is a dual-caster who's good at punching things, you've got it.
the feats necessary are the same for both sacred and enlightened, as i recall (im AFB right now, but wasnt when i was thinking this up)

and yes i want to be a punchy caster!

Urpriest
2011-02-12, 06:43 PM
It'd have a fairly big multiclassing XP penalty, unless I've misread the rules for that (not too unlikely).

Not how it works. You get multiclassing penalties for classes more than one level apart, and you never get it for prestige classes.

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-12, 06:45 PM
I'd drop cleric and go for Ur Priest from CD. Monk 2 Duskblade 3 is the standard entry for a build like this. Monk 2 Duskblade 3 Ur Priest 2 Sacred Fist 10 Enlightened Fist 3 (Iirc) makes for the Sacrilegious Fist, which seems to be where you're going.

It's a lot of fun to play, but Im not sure how it would work with a Wiz/Cleric base. Not as well, Id bet.

gallagher
2011-02-12, 07:34 PM
I'd drop cleric and go for Ur Priest from CD. Monk 2 Duskblade 3 is the standard entry for a build like this. Monk 2 Duskblade 3 Ur Priest 2 Sacred Fist 10 Enlightened Fist 3 (Iirc) makes for the Sacrilegious Fist, which seems to be where you're going.

It's a lot of fun to play, but Im not sure how it would work with a Wiz/Cleric base. Not as well, Id bet.
i assume the duskblade is for the channeling, or is there a better option?

Urpriest
2011-02-12, 07:38 PM
i assume the duskblade is for the channeling, or is there a better option?

Partly for the channeling. Ur-Priest is hard to qualify for (and I should know :smallwink:), and Duskblade takes care of some requirements that Monk doesn't otherwise satisfy. I think the build also needs Apprentice:Criminal or the like for Bluff as a class skill.

Jack_Simth
2011-02-12, 07:47 PM
You have. PrC's don't invoke it, so he's got three classes of significance in regards to XP penalty; Wiz, Cleric, and Monk. Wiz-3, Monk-2, Cleric-1. So yes, there's a multiclass penalty... unless his favored class is either Wizard or Cleric, in which case, there isn't one. And being Human solves that quite easily.

gallagher
2011-02-12, 08:09 PM
Partly for the channeling. Ur-Priest is hard to qualify for (and I should know :smallwink:), and Duskblade takes care of some requirements that Monk doesn't otherwise satisfy. I think the build also needs Apprentice:Criminal or the like for Bluff as a class skill.

i would figure you are the local urpriest expert... my only other question about urpriest is about the benefits. do you get good medical, considering the whole anti-god thing? it must be hell visiting a hospital

Urpriest
2011-02-12, 08:32 PM
i would figure you are the local urpriest expert... my only other question about urpriest is about the benefits. do you get good medical, considering the whole anti-god thing? it must be hell visiting a hospital

Ah, but with your talent for stealing divine spells, you can open your own! And your hospital can double as a factory for extracting liquid pain!

gallagher
2011-02-13, 12:11 AM
Ah, but with your talent for stealing divine spells, you can open your own! And your hospital can double as a factory for extracting liquid pain!

can i PM you a resume in the event of an opening? for the pain extraction ward of course

dextercorvia
2011-02-13, 12:23 AM
Unless I am missing something, you don't appear to qualify for Mystic Theurge. I only see two levels that advance Cleric casting and no Early Entry tricks listed.