PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Cultures(Any)

PersonMan
2011-02-12, 09:16 PM
In a campaign setting I've been working on recently, I've decided to turn some of the more common races' cultures on their heads.

The elves, for example, don't care much for art, unless it's utterly amazing, because anyone can do that. What they do appreciate greatly, however, is endurance, simply because the majority of elves are fairly weak compared to most other races in that regard.

The dwarves, on the other hand, shrug at displays of stamina but have a great weakness for art and performance. It's easy to stay at the mine for twelve hours, but to craft a touching poem and recite it with great skill is something exceptional. As such, the few dwarves that are particularly good at artistic things are fairly famous.

Orcs value strength and power, but what they hold in absolute reverence is the ability to look at a battlefield, give a set of seemingly random orders and get a victory-especially a spectacular one or one against a superior foe.

So, any cultures or cultural quirks that you've thought are particularly odd or otherwise worth mentioning?

Dreadn4ught
2011-02-12, 09:27 PM
Maybe humans DON'T make crazy governments that end up being corrupted or overthrown?

dsmiles
2011-02-12, 09:36 PM
Any gnome worth his/her salt can cut a gem perfectly. It takes a gnome's gnome to show off his/her bling in style. Gnomes are obsessed with fashion, and all the latest clothing styles come from the gnomish fashion designer, and bard, Metro. :smallwink: (Metro Gnome. Metrosexual. Metronome. Get it? Aahh, you guys have no sense of humor.)

Draz74
2011-02-12, 09:43 PM
Any gnome worth his/her salt can cut a gem perfectly. It takes a gnome's gnome to show off his/her bling in style. Gnomes are obsessed with fashion, and all the latest clothing styles come from the gnomish fashion designer, and bard, Metro.

Wait, is this different from standard gnomes? :smallconfused:

dsmiles
2011-02-12, 09:50 PM
Wait, is this different from standard gnomes? :smallconfused:Gnomes cut gems. Normally, they admire the bling, and sell it, or put it on display somewhere. I've never heard of a gnome interested in fashion. (Except gnomish bards, of course.) That's usually reserved for humans and elves, isn't it?

Coidzor
2011-02-12, 09:56 PM
Gnomes cut gems. Normally, they admire the bling, and sell it, or put it on display somewhere. I've never heard of a gnome interested in fashion. (Except gnomish bards, of course.) That's usually reserved for humans and elves, isn't it?

I think this sums up the public face of Zilargan gnomes' haute couture from Eberron pretty well.