PDA

View Full Version : LA

Isearchfortraps
2011-02-12, 09:34 PM
Hi i am a new dm and i am going to be having a party with a catfolk in it and possible other races that come with a LA. It is going to be a pathfinder game with some things brought in from D&D 3.5. The problem is i dont understand how or more acuratly what LA is i know it means level ajustment but i dont understand what it douse to there charecter. I would be greatful for any help offered.

Elric VIII
2011-02-12, 09:45 PM
It basically adds effective levels without adding Hit Dice.

For instance, Catfolk are LA+1. This means that a level 4 Catfolk Rogue is the same effective level as a level 5 Human Rogue. They get the same XP for the same level of encounters and their Wealth-by-Level should be the same.

EDIT: Also, if you will be allowing LA races you might also run into Racial Hit Dice. Those add effective levels that are not class levels. In general, if a race has only one RHD you can replace it with a class HD. However, if someone wants to play an Ogre , which has 4 RHD and a +2 LA, with 1 level of Rogue he would be the equivalent of a 7th level character (4 RHD + 2LA + 1 Class HD) with 5 total HD.

dsmiles
2011-02-12, 09:45 PM
It adds levels for experience requirements.

Example: A player play a character with a +1LA. The character is 1st level. The LA makes him effectively 2nd level. He needs enough experience to make 3rd level (on the chart) to actually gain a level.

Keep in mind, the LA system from DnD 3.5 is considered broken. Most LA's are too high.

EDIT: Curses! Ninja'd again! :smalltongue:

Isearchfortraps
2011-02-12, 09:56 PM
ok so if it counts as one level above there actualy class level dosue that mean they cant get level 20 in there class sense at 19 they would count as a 20? If so how do i get the xp required to hit 20 sense they need enofe to hit level 21?

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-12, 09:59 PM
If you are playing Pathfinder, I think it uses a different system for "monster" PCs anyway. IIRC, the creature's effective level is equal to its CR.

Doublecheck this with somebody that actually plays Pathfinder, though.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-02-12, 10:03 PM
In the DMG is a table for above 20 experience, I can't remember the page number though.

Isearchfortraps
2011-02-12, 10:06 PM
Thx for all the help!:smallbiggrin:

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-12, 10:08 PM
Just as a suggestion, if everybody is playing a Catfolk, you might want to just waive the LA. In certain campaign settings, such as Midnight, the races are inherently more powerful (+1 LA equivalent), and that's what they do.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-12, 10:08 PM
ok so if it counts as one level above there actualy class level dosue that mean they cant get level 20 in there class sense at 19 they would count as a 20? If so how do i get the xp required to hit 20 sense they need enofe to hit level 21?

All levels after level 20 are considered Epic Levels. So, if you have a +1 LA then you would need to get enough experience for level 21 to get a class level of 20.

~

Some groups use the Epic Level Rules for levels above 20 and other groups continue to use the non-epic rules and just continue in other ways.

Most of this isn't important however, since very few groups ever go from Level 1 all the way past Level 20.

~

Also, I agree with Scarlet. If everyone involved are playing characters with a LA, then the DM should just ignore it. The purpose of the LA is to balance out the stronger races compared to the weaker ones. If everyone is playing one of the stronger races, then there isn't any point in using the LA system in the same fashion.

Isearchfortraps
2011-02-12, 10:20 PM
Thanks agian for the info unfortunatly i think there is only going to be 1 catfolk, the other 3 are a elf, a asamar, and i belive a human or half elf.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-12, 10:42 PM
Thanks agian for the info unfortunatly i think there is only going to be 1 catfolk, the other 3 are a elf, a asamar, and i belive a human or half elf.

Aasimar are LA +1 and the Pathfinder races you've mentioned are the equivalent of LA +1. Humans, Half-Elves and Elves in pathfinder are strong enough that a Catfolk and Aasimar shouldn't be given a LA. (This is especially true if those races are allowed to use the alternate racial traits from the Advanced Players Guide.)

Isearchfortraps
2011-02-12, 11:05 PM
0 sweet thx for the info this makes my job alot simpler.