PDA

View Full Version : Can I cast a spell as though I were a lower level?

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-12, 10:24 PM
Spells like Dark Way have certain weight limits that scale with level. On certain occasions it might be useful to cap it right near where the party's level is to waylay pursuit. Can I cast it at a lower caster level or must it be at my level?

HunterOfJello
2011-02-12, 10:28 PM
In 3.5e you can cast a spell at a lower caster level than your actual caster level.

This is most commonly used during magical item creation, since using a higher caster level multiplies the cost to create the item. For instance, a Wand of Cure Light Wounds (CL 1) costs 750gp to heal 1d8+1hp where the same wand with CL2 would cost 1500gp to heal 1d8+2hp.

~

You can find it in the SRD under the Casting Spells section:

You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.

Roderick_BR
2011-02-12, 10:31 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#casterLevel

You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.
Yes, you can.

edit: Swordsage'd

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-13, 01:45 AM
NOTE: Remember that your caster level must at least be high enough to be able to cast the spell in question. For example, you can't cast a 1d6 fireball because it's a 3rd-level spell and you have to be at least CL 5 to cast it, so the minimum you can lower your fireball to is 5d6.