PDA

View Full Version : Properly Using AMF

Elric VIII
2011-02-12, 11:32 PM
I would like to know some ways to effectively use AMF. I can guess a few, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

You can...

Use Extraordinary Spell Aim to make you an Antimagic Doughnut and cast from within it.

Play with the Cheater of Mystra feat.

Do something using DMM Persist

Use it to gain immunity to enemy spells and make yourself useless.

What else can be achieved with this spell if you don't wish to resort to the first 3 cheesy applications?

dextercorvia
2011-02-12, 11:51 PM
Successfully imprison mid-high level characters. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0768.html)

Psyren
2011-02-12, 11:54 PM
1) "Antimagic Donut" doesn't do what you think it does.
2) I doubt DMM Persist does either.

AMF is for gishes, or when you're running from casters. On foot. And they're chasing you. On foot.

Eurus
2011-02-12, 11:58 PM

AMF is for gishes, or when you're running from casters. On foot. And they're chasing you. On foot.

Unless they simply snipe you with their "orb of blatantly supernatural yet somehow nonmagical enough to survive antimagic X" spells.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-12, 11:59 PM
AMF is pretty useful for fighting beholders, if you've got an archer buddy. Any monster with crazy magic or supernatural offensive capability that is still susceptible to mundane ranged fire can be dealt with using AMF to a certain degree. Sort of a niche use, however.

I've also seen AMF used to defend a specific point from all forms of magical attack while a certain event was waiting to unfold within its area, but it was campaign-specific and kind of a long story (keeping the unborn fetus of a new progenitor dragon from being destroyed by daelkyr in Eberron...).

I can see it being used as a 'prison spell' a great deal, or as a way to walk through a corridor or area trapped with nasty magical traps. Bypass a Symbol of Death, for instance, or read a vital document heavily covered in Explosive Runes.

Oh, and while it often takes some metamagicking to do effectively, dragons can use an AMF to great effect (as evidenced by V's fight with the black dragon in OotS).

dextercorvia
2011-02-13, 12:04 AM
Turning DR/Magic into almost DR/-.

Elric VIII
2011-02-13, 12:06 AM

I was thinking that, as Eurus said, you could cast Orbs through it while inside the bubble created by Extraordinary Spell Aim. Or can the feat not allow you to alter emanations?

I thought it could be persisted because it has a fixed range?

Although it can be very nice for taking down enemy casters in melee, I can't believe I overlooked that.

tyckspoon
2011-02-13, 12:15 AM
I was thinking that, as Eurus said, you could cast Orbs through it while inside the bubble created by Extraordinary Spell Aim. Or can the feat not allow you to alter emanations?

I thought it could be persisted because it has a fixed range?

Although it can be very nice for taking down enemy casters in melee, I can't believe I overlooked that.

AMF doesn't cut line of effect, and it doesn't end spells in it- it just suppresses the part that is in the AMF. So if you exclude yourself from it, you also exclude yourself from its protection- you can cast out, sure, but people can cast in as well, (Su) abilities can affect you, magic weapons still strike you with all their magic properties, etc. It rather defeats the purpose. (The Rules Compendium specifies and clarifies that result, but you can derive it from just the spell text as well. Takes a little slogging through some obtuse rules deconstruction, tho.)

It can be Persisted. The question is.. why would you want to? If you can cast AMF, you are a caster, and a reasonably powerful one as well. Outside of an Initiate of Mystra (which is, admittedly, one of the most likely people to actually attempt this kind of thing anyway) what benefit do you gain by negating the majority of your best class feature for 24 hours.

Marnath
2011-02-13, 12:26 AM
Turning DR/Magic into almost DR/-.

DR/magic is supernatural, you don't get it in an AMF.

Elric VIII
2011-02-13, 12:28 AM
AMF doesn't cut line of effect, and it doesn't end spells in it- it just suppresses the part that is in the AMF. So if you exclude yourself from it, you also exclude yourself from its protection- you can cast out, sure, but people can cast in as well, (Su) abilities can affect you, magic weapons still strike you with all their magic properties, etc. It rather defeats the purpose. (The Rules Compendium specifies and clarifies that result, but you can derive it from just the spell text as well. Takes a little slogging through some obtuse rules deconstruction, tho.)

Ah, I see. That's a shame.

It can be Persisted. The question is.. why would you want to? If you can cast AMF, you are a caster, and a reasonably powerful one as well. Outside of an Initiate of Mystra (which is, admittedly, one of the most likely people to actually attempt this kind of thing anyway) what benefit do you gain by negating the majority of your best class feature for 24 hours.

I assumed this would be paired with Initiate of Mystra, I just made it separate because the post looked better with 4 points. :smallbiggrin:
Although, is there some way for a Cleric/Runescarred Berserker to apply this to his scars?

Does AMF work against Artifacts or Intelligent items as well? Either way, it will be useful in some manner.

Psyren
2011-02-13, 12:51 AM

tyck explained it, but you also misread Eurus. He wasn't saying you could toss orbs from inside your envelope - he was saying the casters chasing you could smack you in the backside with orbs even if you made sure the AMF covered you completely.

DR/magic is supernatural, you don't get it in an AMF.

Not always - for example, the monk's DR 10/magic is a natural ability (Perfect Self.) Granted, that takes a LONG TIME to get and is practically useless once you do, but it will function in an AMF at least.

Elric VIII
2011-02-13, 12:56 AM
Not always - for example, the monk's DR 10/magic is a natural ability (Perfect Self.) Granted, that takes a LONG TIME to get and is practically useless once you do, but it will function in an AMF at least.

Is there no end to the OP-ness of Monks?

I see the point that was being made about trying to use the AMF as a shield against spells, now.

Vangor
2011-02-13, 03:09 AM
Although, is there some way for a Cleric/Runescarred Berserker to apply this to his scars?

Nothing preventing this from occurring. Runescars work similar to scrolls, which you can utilize with metamagic. Runescars are also considered divine spells, which DMM functions for any divine spell. Further, runescars can only be cast from the RSB spell list which stops at 5th level, but of course DMM does not alter actual spell level. As far as I know, though, cost is still increased, meaning 5+6 spell level and 9+12 caster level, which can become quite expensive.

To get, choose the Planning Domain and Undead Domain which gives Extend Spell and Extra Turning for one of the feats automatically acquired and the 3+4 turn attempts to power a persistent. Afterwards, is a matter of gaining the 5 required feats and 7 BAB. You do not need Cha since the runescars remain until expended, allowing one per day, and you can

What can be done is include Initiate of Mystra and Practiced Spellcaster. Use a level 11th Cleric for the 6th level spell access, meaning Greater Anyspell, and increased CL because you will need to overcome a CL20 check on the AMF (fortunately while DMM will still increase metamagic'd runescar costs this will not alter to true CL of the runescar, thus keeping AMF at CL9 rather than 21). With Practiced Spellcaster, you will have a Cleric CL15, making casting in an AMF 80% likely.

This seems a tad excessive, though, when you could choose the Magic Domain and DMM Persist a 6th level AMF. This route, at level 20, you will only fail the CL check on a 1, plus have plenty of additional feats to pump in Extra Turning as wanted. Not to mention plenty of ways to fuel Persist exist.