PDA

View Full Version : Playing Alex Mercer

TheDarkDM
2011-02-13, 05:42 AM
Hey playground, I'm playing through Prototype and was curious if there has been any homebrew or third party publications that would allow a PC to replicate at least the flavor of his powers. I realize the Ozodrin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536&highlight=tooth+tentacle) is already a pretty good fit, but I was wondering if there were any others.

Volthawk
2011-02-13, 05:53 AM
There is this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121333).

Delivery Ninja
2011-02-13, 05:59 AM
The Ebon Saint prestige class (Complete Psionic) struck me as being fairly similar in the general theme of its abilities to what Mercer is capable of doing.

Of course, it doesn't look t be very strong at all, as prestige classes go, so...

TheDarkDM
2011-02-13, 05:59 AM
There is this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121333).

Well, that was rather direct. Teach me for thinking searching "Alex Mercer" would be futile...

Asheram
2011-02-13, 06:25 AM
Now if you'd like a more "kosher" combo, you might want a druid (or wildshape ranger for better bab), warshaper and Master of Many forms.

Gives you wildshape into pretty much anything you want, increased range while in wildshape and fast healing.

Robs
2011-02-13, 07:19 AM
Note that he is basically immortal, at the end of the game he survives a (spoiler warning) nuclear blast, I don't see this modelled anywhere...

Or of gaining knowledge and skill through consumption.

The Mentalist
2011-02-13, 07:27 AM
I think that's modeled by level 20.

As for the knowledge bit... Ithilid Savant.... DO NOT WANT! It's a very ugly idea to try and execute.

Robs
2011-02-13, 08:57 AM
I think that's modeled by level 20.

^ This here. I think its a bit of a lost cause to model these kinds of things; the same ability that lets him survive such things is what lets him exist at all. Its the power of a capstone, but required at level 1 (theres no gradual change, what is alex mercer never was him anyway) as a class, and would give some kind of deterrent-LA as a race.

Either its balanced, or it's a vague reference to the real thing.

TheDarkDM
2011-02-13, 09:01 AM
^ This here. I think its a bit of a lost cause to model these kinds of things; the same ability that lets him survive such things is what lets him exist at all. Its the power of a capstone, but required at level 1.

Either its balanced, or it's a vague reference to the real thing.

I'd agree that modelling PC's after fictional characters has a whole host of issues, but as for this issue I think it can be explained away by the fact that Mercer can only revive from a nuclear blast at the end of the game, making it effectively a Regeneration capstone.

Independent of that, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Robs
2011-02-13, 09:03 AM
I always thought of the dying and restarting somewhere else in the city as the same thing, once I saw the end. All he needs is one single, well im not sure what you call it, part of himself, and some available biomatter to break down.

NineThePuma
2011-02-13, 09:42 AM
There's an Eighth level power somewhere on the SRD that allows you to effectively emulate the act of consumption. While not perfect, I made a hand at adapting it as a level 1 power.

However, having it integrated into a class would be nifty. I shall look into it.