PDA

View Full Version : Weapons and armor becoming epic

DarkEternal
2011-02-13, 10:09 AM
I was wondering, when do actual weapons and armor become epic, at least in regards to price.

From the SRD it seems that a weapon becomes epic when it's weapon enhancement becomes greater then +5 or has a special ability greater then +5. Honestly, I didn't see in any book an enhancement that has a bigger modifier then +5(that being Vorpal for weapons, or Freedom I think, for armor)

My question is thus:

A party member has a plate mail +2 with a +2 special property(forgot the actual name, it's the one that assembles the armor on you in a single round or something, so you don't really have any problems of being caught without your armor, since it transformer like forms on you).

So basically, it's a +4 armor. Now, he wants to buy the Freedom property on it, which is a +5 to price bonus. Do I look at it like a +9 armor, meaning he has to pay the difference from +4 to +9 which is 65 000, or is it considered epic the moment the stack of enhancements passes +5, meaning the price should be multiplied by 10? Or would that be if he got one more enhancement after Freedom, making it a +11 armor where this would come into play?

Urpriest
2011-02-13, 10:17 AM
It's epic when the enhancement bonus passes +5, or when the total effective bonus (abilities+enhancement) is greater than +10, or when an individual ability is above +5. You won't see the latter in the section you're looking at because, surprise surprise, they're epic abilities and are included with the epic rules. So your example character's armor isn't epic. If the character added another +2 or greater special ability, then the weapon would become epic.

DarkEternal
2011-02-13, 10:21 AM
Yeah, then I thought right from the begining. Grand, thanks.

Douglas
2011-02-13, 10:34 AM
If you want to see the greater than +5 special abilities, you'll have to look at the armor and weapon ability sections in the epic magic items (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicMagicItems.htm) page.

Reynard
2011-02-13, 11:59 AM
If you want to see the greater than +5 special abilities, you'll have to look at the armor and weapon ability sections in the epic magic items (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicMagicItems.htm) page.

...What. Nearly all of those are... pretty crappy.

I mean, really crappy.

tyckspoon
2011-02-13, 12:17 PM
...What. Nearly all of those are... pretty crappy.

I mean, really crappy.

Yeah, a depressing lot of the Epic items are like that, when they aren't just "+8 statboost item of Arbitrarily Huge Cost."

Prime32
2011-02-13, 12:40 PM
Yeah, a depressing lot of the Epic items are like that, when they aren't just "+8 statboost item of Arbitrarily Huge Cost."As for epic feats, they lie in the following range:

Live a few years longer
Ability Focus with more prereqs
+1 natural armour
Immunity to ranged attacks
Cast multiple spells per round
Make up new spells at will which do whatever you want

Kobold Esq
2011-02-13, 12:45 PM
As for epic feats, they lie in the following range:

Live a few years longer
Ability Focus with more prereqs
+1 natural armour
Immunity to ranged attacks
Cast multiple spells per round
Make up new spells at will which do whatever you want

One of these things is not like the others...

One of these things doesn't belong...