PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 spells] When the time comes... You'll do as I say.(PEACH)

Qwertystop
2011-02-13, 12:19 PM
Triggered Suggestion
Enchantment (Compusion) [Mind-Affecting, language-dependent]
Level: Bard 3, Sorc/Wiz 4
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: 1 living creature
Duration: Permanent, then 1 hour/caster level (see below)
Saving Throw: Will Negates, see below
Spell Resistance: Yes
Upon completion of this spell, the material components become a small unmarked token (usually a stone marble) with negligible value. When casting this spell, you make an instruction, which will be given to the target as per the suggestion spell when someone speaks a trigger word while holding the token produced. The caster automatically knows the trigger word, target, and suggestion of any token produced by her own casting of this spell.
The target gets a will save (with a +5 bonus) immediately after the spell is cast, but does not get an additional save when the suggestion is activated.

The spell will last forever until the trigger is spoken, at which point the suggestion will last 1 hour/caster level or until completed. For this purpose, Caster Level is the caster level of the caster when they cast the spell, not when it was later triggered.

This spell was originally made to get spies into an enemy group without letting anyone (including the spies) know of any espionage.

If made permanant, by Permanancy or similar, the suggestion still wears off 1 hour/caster level after activation, but can be reactivated after wearing off.

Material Components:
A small bit of copper wire, a snake’s tongue and either a bit of honeycomb or a drop of sweet oil.

Willing Servant
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 4, Sorc/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Long (400 feet + 40 feet/caster level)
Target: One willing humanoid
Duration: Permanent, then one day/level (see below)
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell acts as Dominate Person except for the differences in the spell stats (above) and description (below):
When this spell is cast, it does not produce the Domination effect immediately. Instead, the target can, at any time after casting, activate the affect, making them Dominated by the caster as the Dominate Person spell. For purposes of duration and saves, the caster level is the current caster level of the caster, not the level as of the original casting.

This spell was made to allow great tacticians to coordinate the actions of small groups of soldiers without needing to risk themselves in the battles personally.

Qwertystop
2011-02-22, 10:59 AM
Anyone? No comments?:smallconfused:

bloodtide
2011-02-22, 07:22 PM
Oh, you just posted on the wrong boards. I know it says 'Homebrew' at the top, but all anyone here cares or comments about are Prestige classes. Maybe it's just a phase, but the boards are prestige class crazy.

I liked the spells, when I saw the spell names. My mind though of all the ways you could use a Triggered Suggestion. The idea that you could give someone a stone and when the right thing happened, 'zap' they would get the suggestion.

But the spells are willing only? Why? What is the point of a willing spell effect to make you do something you will already do? You say they are used for tactics, but how?

Example-'Here royal guardian take this token, casts spell if the Evil Minions breach the wall, attack them and defend the king with your life''

Or

Example-"If you see a vopral sword +5 then pick it up and use it''.

Qwertystop
2011-02-22, 07:44 PM
Oh, you just posted on the wrong boards. I know it says 'Homebrew' at the top, but all anyone here cares or comments about are Prestige classes. Maybe it's just a phase, but the boards are prestige class crazy.

I liked the spells, when I saw the spell names. My mind though of all the ways you could use a Triggered Suggestion. The idea that you could give someone a stone and when the right thing happened, 'zap' they would get the suggestion.

But the spells are willing only? Why? What is the point of a willing spell effect to make you do something you will already do? You say they are used for tactics, but how?

Example-'Here royal guardian take this token, casts spell if the Evil Minions breach the wall, attack them and defend the king with your life''

Or

Example-"If you see a vopral sword +5 then pick it up and use it''.
Dont think of it as being used for the typical Suggestions.
Think:
"OK, in about a week, I will signal you to carry out the plan. In case you've forgotten, the signal will guide your mind through the exact steps of the plan that you will need to carry out."
Also, you could, say, get someone drunk and get them to agree, then trigger it much later. It doesn't care if they agree when the suggestion activates, only if they agree when you first plant it.

Welknair
2011-02-22, 07:50 PM
Magic sleeper agents.

Yes.

Edit: What if you got them to agree then used Modify Memory to make them forget they ever did?

Epsilon Rose
2011-02-22, 08:03 PM
I like these spells in concept but the fact that they have to agree seems rather silly, I suppose it might be useful for sleeper agent or to prevent an enemy from knowing what the go signal is but those seem like rather specialized uses.
I think the willing bit should be removed.

On a side note, if someones can't remember how to do their job with out a suggestion spell they probably shouldn't be doing it.

Qwertystop
2011-02-22, 08:10 PM
I like these spells in concept but the fact that they have to agree seems rather silly, I suppose it might be useful for sleeper agent or to prevent an enemy from knowing what the go signal is but those seem like rather specialized uses.
I think the willing bit should be removed.

On a side note, if someones can't remember how to do their job with out a suggestion spell they probably shouldn't be doing it.

What if you bring the time between casting and activation to a year? They might not know all the details after that. Also, it would allow you to hire dumb barbarians instead of the much-rarer very smart tough guys, because they do not need to understand the plan at all.
I'll remove the Willing bit, you're right. Maybe just have a drop in save DC for nonwilling?

Kallisti
2011-02-23, 01:29 AM
I'd be...cautious...of allowing a fourth-level spell to plant a permanent-until-triggered suggestion in any game I ran. Given the various ways to conceal spellcasting, I would not trust my players not to abuse this. Other than that, though, I like it.

Willing Servant I'd flat-out disallow as a fifth-level spell; I'd houserule it to sixth or seventh. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but the fact that they don't get a save when it's triggered combined with the unlimited duration before triggering would make me nervous. Target has to be willing? Then what's the point? As far as I know, you still have to give a dominated target verbal directions. Am I wrong on that point? Currently away from books and my internet will vanish soon, so I can't look it up on the SRD.

If the target got no save against the original casting but did get a save when the suggestion is triggered, I'd definitely allow it as long as there can only be one casting affecting a target at a time. I feel like that'd kind of defeat the purpose, though.

Qwertystop
2011-02-23, 09:04 AM
I'd be...cautious...of allowing a fourth-level spell to plant a permanent-until-triggered suggestion in any game I ran. Given the various ways to conceal spellcasting, I would not trust my players not to abuse this. Other than that, though, I like it.

Willing Servant I'd flat-out disallow as a fifth-level spell; I'd houserule it to sixth or seventh. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but the fact that they don't get a save when it's triggered combined with the unlimited duration before triggering would make me nervous. Target has to be willing? Then what's the point? As far as I know, you still have to give a dominated target verbal directions. Am I wrong on that point? Currently away from books and my internet will vanish soon, so I can't look it up on the SRD.

If the target got no save against the original casting but did get a save when the suggestion is triggered, I'd definitely allow it as long as there can only be one casting affecting a target at a time. I feel like that'd kind of defeat the purpose, though.

No verbal directions required, the first line is:

You can control the actions of any humanoid creature through a telepathic link that you establish with the subject’s mind.
It's mostly for the same purpose as Triggered Suggestion was supposed to be for at first, making an unskilled person do a complicated job under the control of a smart guy, instead of risking the smart guy.

Nopraptor
2011-02-23, 12:41 PM
can anyone say Bioshock? I won't say more so I don't spoil for anyone who hasn't played it and wants to

both spells seem cool and really useful. the question is... are they too useful?

Qwertystop
2011-02-24, 11:29 AM
Edit: What if you got them to agree then used Modify Memory to make them forget they ever did?

That would be fine, as they only need to be willing when you cast it.