PDA

View Full Version : Any way to build a grapple centric character?

Deadlights
2011-02-13, 02:17 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of a character who focuses on grappling, originally inspired by Mexican luchadores. I realise that any character based around these mechanics would probably be less than optimal, but I want to examine my options here.

So what's the best way to build a grapple focused character?

I am aware that using polymorph or wild shape would let just about anyone be a good grappler, but I think I would rather avoid abusing magic in this case. Splatbooks should be ok, but i need to clear their use with the DM on a case by case basis, so let's try to keep their use to a minimum.

I am thinking my best class options maybe either a barbarian (rage, DR), a fighter (bonus feats) or a monk (bonus feats, unarmed strike, bonus AC).

sonofzeal
2011-02-13, 02:21 PM
Tashalatora PsiWar is a terrifying grappler. Monk progression but Fighter bonus feats and PsiWar powers (including Expansion, Grip of Iron, and through shenanigans you can even get Metamorphosis).

strawberryman
2011-02-13, 02:27 PM
Well, shameless plug, here, but, if your DM allows ToB and homebrew, or even just homebrew, I made a PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8355270&postcount=2) and a few feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7892409&postcount=1) on the matter.

Just so I'm not being useless, if you feel like dipping a few wiz/sorc levels, Balor Nimbus a is pretty notable spell.

MarkusWolfe
2011-02-13, 02:54 PM
Begin the game as an awakened bear. Or an awakened feline. Or a druid.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-13, 03:00 PM
Black Blood Cultist. Google it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-13, 03:02 PM
If you want to make a character who uses grappling, play a Druid. Get an animal companion that's good at grappling, such as a Fleshraker. Use Summon Nature's Ally to get some Dire Lions, cast Animal Growth on them and your animal companion, they all go grapple stuff. Late on you can take the form of a Dire Bear or even a Dire Polar Bear from Frostburn and be a superb grappler yourself. That way you'll actually be good at something besides grappling, or actually be useful against opponents with Freedom of Movement.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-13, 03:04 PM
The best grappling PrC is probably Black Blood Cultist (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870826/Black_Blood_Cultist_Handbook:_A_Grapplers_Manual). What makes it so powerful is its 8th-level ability, which lets you do damage as if you hit with all of your natural weapons every time you make a successful grapple check.

Other good grappling-related things include the feat Scorpion's Grasp, which basically gives you Improved Grab; Earth's Embrace, which gives you 1d12 extra damage per round against pinned opponents; and the Crushing Weight of the Mountain stance from ToB, which gives you good Constrict damage.

Adamantrue
2011-02-13, 04:08 PM
I might suggest the Bear Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bearTotemClassFeatures ) from Unearthed Arcana as the place to start. The 5th level bonus is the real key, and you may be able to talk your DM into another option for the 1st level Bonus Feat (I'd ask for Improved Toughness).

Glimbur
2011-02-13, 04:08 PM
Totemist from Magic of Incarnum can help with grappling. The Girallion Arms give a solid boost to grappling, the Kraken Mantle offers constrict, and it is 3/4 BAB which isn't awful. It does not have in-class access to size boosts but those can be from a friendly wizard or being a Goliath or potions if you are desperate.

Psyren
2011-02-13, 06:07 PM
Tashalatora PsiWar is a terrifying grappler. Monk progression but Fighter bonus feats and PsiWar powers (including Expansion, Grip of Iron, and through shenanigans you can even get Metamorphosis).

I wouldn't call one feat "shenanigans," particularly when you're following the feat's intended purpose to the letter. :smalltongue:

AslanCross
2011-02-13, 06:28 PM
Access to Crushing Weight of the Mountain, as has been mentioned, is always a good idea.

Necroticplague
2011-02-13, 06:30 PM
Im going to go look for a damage, not going to bring up grapple modifier improvements.

Let's see:

Jotunbrud: Size category increase for purposes of grappling (and a few other things).
Open Least chakra (arms) and shape souldmeld (kraken mantle):constrict
Crushing Wieght of the Mauntain:more constrict
Choke Hold:Enemy unconcious=coup d' grace
Earth's Embrace (OE version): fair bit of extra damage while pinning opponent.
Choke Hold:knock opponent unconcious after 2-3 rounds of grappling (replaces almost entire reaping mauler class).
Warshaper:extra natural attacks to be used during grappling.
Darkspawn:2 extra tentacles, +2 to grapple.
Black Blood Cultist:More natural attacks, 8th level is constrict on crack.
Tooth and Nail: A few more natural weapons.
Wolverine Stance:Hit them with big weapons while grappling.
Various Grafts and Symbiotes:give you more natural attacks. Of special mentions is
Stone Spikes:Good 2d4 damage when you win a grapple check.
Replacement Tail and Added Tail: more constriction.

sonofzeal
2011-02-13, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't call one feat "shenanigans," particularly when you're following the feat's intended purpose to the letter. :smalltongue:
It's not shenanigans on a PsiWar. But on a Tashalatora? Yeah, I've played that, and it's kind of gamebreaking. I had to voluntarily nerf it several times, and even then I was overwhelmingly the most powerful character in a party that included (less optimized) full-casters.

So yeah, shenanigans. Not because it's anti-RAW or even anti-RAI, but because that particular combination is rather devastating.