PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gritty Fantasy RPGs (Which Should I Get?)

Enix18
2011-02-13, 02:24 PM
I've been looking around for a good, gritty fantasy rpg: a game with low magic and high lethality, to put it simply. After doing a little research I found a few games that sounded good, but I'm weary about just picking one without more information. I've played rpgs before that sounded awesome but ended up being rather lackluster, so I don't want to waste my money on something that I won't enjoy once I actually get to try it. That's why I'm coming here to seek advice.

Currently, my list of potential games includes:
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Hârn Master
Riddle of Steel

Do you folks have any opinions on this list? Which one do you think is the "best"? (I know that's a very subjective term, but which have you found to be the most enjoyable, or to have the most well-built system, etcetera?)

I would very much appreciate the opinions of people who have actually played some of these games before, since I'm not very well versed in gritty fantasy rpgs. Any input you can offer is welcome!

Gametime
2011-02-13, 04:37 PM
I haven't played any, but I've been looking into Riddle of Steel myself recently and found a set of quickstart rules available for free download on the website here (http://www.driftwoodpublishing.com/support/). You could try them out and see what you think before investing in the full game (especially since you'll have to find a second hand copy of the book, and it can be quite expensive).

Jair Barik
2011-02-13, 04:43 PM
Not played it but I have heard good things about WHF RP. Some people at our local games society are playing it and it certainly looks interesting and all the pieces are very professionally done.

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-13, 05:04 PM
How deadly do you want it? if you want it to be really REALLY deadly, Warhammer's the way to go. Permanent injuries and 1 hit KOs are very common.

Devmaar
2011-02-13, 05:55 PM
You could try the Witchfinder RPG. I don't have a link but the core rulebook is legally available for free download somewhere.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-13, 07:24 PM
If you get Riddle of Steel, I will envy you so hard your nose will start bleeding.

So, that one, obviously.

Enix18
2011-02-13, 09:16 PM
How deadly do you want it? if you want it to be really REALLY deadly, Warhammer's the way to go. Permanent injuries and 1 hit KOs are very common.

Wow, that sounds incredibly lethal. Of course, maybe that's the kind of game my players would go for; I suppose I'll have to discuss it further with them.

So, does anyone have experience with the other two games? Or am I better off just doing more research on my own?

LansXero
2011-02-13, 09:23 PM
Another highly lethal game although with a neat and very involved background is Dark Heresy. Lots of GRIMDARK though.

And adding to games not-on-your-list, if your players are into LotR, MERP has a really neat, really lethal, really unfair critical hits table. Takes forever to set up and run, but most LotR fans Ive met dont mind that so they can be an elf and die with a pierced throat 2 mins into the game. So, asking your players is a good idea.

Enix18
2011-02-13, 10:31 PM
Another highly lethal game although with a neat and very involved background is Dark Heresy. Lots of GRIMDARK though.

And adding to games not-on-your-list, if your players are into LotR, MERP has a really neat, really lethal, really unfair critical hits table. Takes forever to set up and run, but most LotR fans Ive met dont mind that so they can be an elf and die with a pierced throat 2 mins into the game. So, asking your players is a good idea.

I do like the system for Dark Heresy, which is the original reason why I looked into WFRP. From what I'm finding, though, it seems that the latter leans even more toward lethality (not that Dark Heresy isn't a fantastically gritty game already).

MERP sounded kinda interesting, but a few reviews I've read make it out to be not quite as a great as some nostalgic fans would claim. That, and the dedicated campaign setting is actually a negative for me: I find it too constricting to have to play in a setting that everyone else at the table knows as well as (if not better than) I do. Thanks anyway for the suggestion, though.

Ozreth
2011-02-13, 10:45 PM
Havent played any of these (or the one im about to suggest) but based on the novels alone I would imagine the Wheel of Time or Song of Ice and Fire RPG's being pretty gritty, low magic, and deadly?

SurlySeraph
2011-02-13, 11:09 PM
WFRP is known for being hilariously low-power and lethal, somewhat more so in 1E than in 2E; apparently in 2E there are better starting items than "small but vicious dog" and trying to mount a horse is no longer suicidal. It's got a quite distinctive setting, and you can have a lot of fun with it.

I don't know much about Harnmaster, except that it's supposed to feel a lot like ADnD.

Riddle of Steel is known for having very realistic swordfighting rules. (With one exception; I can't find it anymore, but several years ago someone on these boards posted a breakdown of why making groin shots is mathematically the most optimal move in almost every combat situation in RoS). If you're into simulationism, it'd be the best choice.

Knaight
2011-02-13, 11:34 PM
Keeping it short (I'm down two typing fingers):
Riddle of Steel is the best of those three.
Burning Wheel is even better, and you should get it.

Clepto
2011-02-14, 12:01 AM
Song of Ice and Fire is also pretty gritty, low (almost no) magic, and it's super lethal. In any given sword fight, the most likely occurence is both combatants dying. It went out of print for a while, but there's a newer printing of the original that includes all errata. I'm AFB right now, so I couldn't tell you who the new publisher is.

I played in a game for SoIaF several years ago, and had a blast. I'm a huge fan of the book series though. It's one of my favorite fantasy settings.

hamlet
2011-02-14, 08:04 AM
I don't know much about Harnmaster, except that it's supposed to feel a lot like ADnD.

Not at all like AD&D, actually.

Harn is a skill based game, with loose classes that essentially define skill packages rather than discreet and unique powers. It's based on a relatively realistic medieval setting (the eponymous Harn) that might as well be medieval western Europe. The only real fantasy assumptions are that elves and dwarves exist, and a very little low key magic.

I've not played it, but I've read some of it and it looks pretty good. Can't speak for lethality, but it's definately quite gritty compared to the more "adventure" based games. It's much more geared around kingdom style games, i.e., you are an agent of a lord, aspiring to be a lord, and you undertake missions to control and maintain stability of the kingdom around you. Or destabalize it, or whatever. Less about the dungeon crawling, really.

Aidan305
2011-02-14, 08:40 AM
Riddle of Steel is fun. WHFRP is also fun, though I don't know what the new edition is like. Can't say anything about Harnmaster.

I think that personally, I'd favour Riddle of Steel since it's suits my style of playing better.

caden_varn
2011-02-14, 10:28 AM
WFRP isn't quite as deadly as all that. It certainly does not encourage hack n slash combat, and you can die / get diseased / lose limbs, sure, but that's what you have fate points for...

Lord Vampyre
2011-02-14, 11:07 AM
Havent played any of these (or the one im about to suggest) but based on the novels alone I would imagine the Wheel of Time or Song of Ice and Fire RPG's being pretty gritty, low magic, and deadly?

Unfortunately, the only Wheel of Time RPG system I've seen, is just another d20 game based off the OGL. The magic system is a little different, but it really isn't that lethal of a game.