PDA

View Full Version : Effective sniper/assassin? (3.PF)

WarKitty
2011-02-13, 07:28 PM
I need a combat effective build for a ranged longbow sniper. Currently looking at Sniper Rogue (from PF APG) with maybe the Shadowdancer PrC. The character is built around hiding and killing enemies from afar.

Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with the stuff available to ranged characters. I've been asked to provide suggestions to a newer player for a build starting at level 11. The only restriction is no spellcasting - the player doesn't like the bookkeeping involved.

Ideas?

Waker
2011-02-13, 07:40 PM
Well, if you want a sniper type you could use the Sniper variant for the Scout in Dragon 346. The gist of it is that you lose skirmish in the melee and fast movement. In exchange as a full-round action you get to make one shot at a target beyond 60ft. You deal your skirmish damage. You can't move during your turn, even a 5ft step. If the target has cover or concealment you don't get extra damage.

WarKitty
2011-02-13, 07:41 PM
Well, if you want a sniper type you could use the Sniper variant for the Scout in Dragon 346. The gist of it is that you lose skirmish in the melee and fast movement. In exchange as a full-round action you get to make one shot at a target beyond 60ft. You deal your skirmish damage. You can't move during your turn, even a 5ft step. If the target has cover or concealment you don't get extra damage.

I feel like that would fit the fluff well, but it wouldn't be used at all in the game. Something a little more useful for group combat would be better.

Jack_Simth
2011-02-13, 07:48 PM
I feel like that would fit the fluff well, but it wouldn't be used at all in the game. Something a little more useful for group combat would be better.In that case, what you want is a fairly standard rogue build, with a Ring of Blinking, a shortbow, Point Blank Shot, and Precise Shot. The Ring of Blinking makes people flat-footed for you, precise shot lets you shoot into melee without penalties.

Waker
2011-02-13, 07:51 PM
Yeah, didn't think it would be well loved. I just like to throw out the stuff that most people would otherwise overlook.
Well you'll probably want Able Sniper (RotW), give you +2 damage on flat footed targets and gives you a +4 Hide after shooting someone.

Rasman
2011-02-13, 09:55 PM
I'm actually playing a Sniper Rogue in a campaign atm that is a straight Rogue build, no need for PRCs or anything like that.

For simplicities sake, I'll PM you a character sheet, but I'll go over the basics.

Rather than a regular bow, use a Crossbow, you can't fire a normal bow while laying prone like you can a crossbow.

"But I don't get extra damage from my Strength if I use a Crossbow!"

That's ok, Crossbow Sniper lets you add 1/2 Dex later on and it's requirements are things you'd take anyway.

If you have any questions about the build, just let me know either in PM or on here.

WarKitty
2011-02-13, 10:25 PM
The longbow really isn't optional, sorry. Other than that I'll take a look. But the bow is built into the character fluff.

Noedig
2011-02-13, 10:32 PM
Deepwood Sniper? Maybe? Its got sniper in the name so...

Andion Isurand
2011-02-13, 10:35 PM
4 levels of Cragtop Archer (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040815b) is a nice addition to any sniper build.

Shade Kerrin
2011-02-13, 10:43 PM
Spell:Hunters mercy, yet another thing that should be doable via mundane methods.
A first level Ranger spell in the same vein as True strike, but giving an automatic critical instead of a +20 tohit. A point to make is that it specifies that it applies to your first hit in the next round, so you can miss a few times and still make things work out with your iteratives.
Tactical feat(RoTW): Woodland Archer. A couple of minor benifits and this: Each time you miss, you get a +4 tohit until the end of the round. Not quite sniperey, but combines well with the above.
If 3.0 material is open, Deepwood sniper(forgot which one) both boosts your range and increases your crit damage. With 10 levels and the above spell, you are spending a round of focus to gain 5*damage on your next hit. Combat sniper, done.

Edit:Deepwood's from Masters of the Wild

HandofCrom
2011-02-13, 11:04 PM
Sniper goggles from APG are rad. Sneak attacks at any distance, and +2 damage per die for ranged attacks within 30 ft.