PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Poison Question

Ioustinos
2011-02-13, 08:43 PM
I'm a rookie DM, and I'm making a quest in which an enemy has a few poisoned arrows (Black adder venom -- 1d6 Con/1d6 Con secondary). He also has a vial of Insanity Mist. I have two questions:

1.) Assume two arrows hit in one round, and the PC fails the Fortitude Save to resist the poison both times. Am I right in assuming that, in effect, the PC has been poisoned twice and will take 2d6 Constitution damage initially, and another 2d6 secondary damage (assuming the PC fails that as well)? Or can the PC only be effectively poisoned (with the same poison) once?

2.) The Insanity Mist, when thrown, will fill a 10 ft. cube, and anyone in that area needs to make the Fortitude Save. How long, however, does that actually last? From what I can gather, I believe that would last only round. Am I correct on this?

I thank anyone in advance, and apologize if I've missed an obvious answer from the DM Guide.

tyckspoon
2011-02-13, 09:05 PM
Yes, poisons generally stack (or rather, damage stacks, just the same as the normal HP damage for being hit with 2 arrows does. If the poison had a different effect- a Con penalty, say, or paralyzing somebody for 1dx rounds- then those wouldn't stack.) A character who fails saves against Con poisons is liable to be in very poor shape.

If they don't specify a duration, they usually mean it's instant/one attack- it spreads into its 10 foot cube, and then dissipates too much to be a significant threat.