PDA

View Full Version : Boss Rush v2, Fight 1: A Failure to Communicate

Eurus
2011-02-14, 05:07 AM
Your group was hired (indirectly) by the Queen of Diamonds to investigate rumors of building tension and illicit activities going on in one of the kingdom's larger prisons. It soon became apparent that the warden's initial hospitality was a facade to hide his corruption, but an unfortunately timed riot prevented you from leaving - almost certainly engineered by the warden himself. Having survived the initial chaos, you now confront the man himself and the few surviving guards still loyal to him in the exercise yard while momentarily calmed prisoners watch the spectacle through the prison windows and occasionally throw things.

Three guards stand between you and Warden Dahl with longspears in hand and crossbows at their sides. each one a skilled warrior in his own right. On the plus side, the warden himself looks to be pushing seventy - although given the average lifespan of a man with this kind of occupation, that may be more ominous than comforting. The short, leathery figure raises one eyebrow and spits on the ground, shaking his balding head as he brandishes a crossbow of his own.

"You kids should've left when you had the chance. I'm not gonna enjoy this, but it's too late for yeh now."

Objective: Fight the law, and win.

Map:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/DetrichLange/BossRush1.jpg

Brown squares are walls, either the 20 foot high stone walls of the main prison structure or the 30 foot high wooden walls of the central watchtower. Gray squares are filled by short fences of barbed wire; they count as difficult terrain and deal 1d6 points of damage to characters that pass through them without a DC 15 tumble check (no additional modifier to said check due to terrain).

The onlooking crowd of convicts serves as a makeshift audience, which may have some effects. They have an initial attitude of unfriendly toward everyone, but you can attempt to win them over with a Diplomacy check as a standard action (with potential circumstance bonuses if you've managed particularly impressive stunts/banter). May or may not be worth the trouble, I won't say.

You may each start in your choice of the red squares. Bear in mind that the guards are armed with longspears and wearing studded leather armor, while the Warden himself has a chain shirt and a hand crossbow.

Jarian
2011-02-14, 05:47 AM
"Heh..." Atul smirks, brandishing his bloodstained blade. "It's funny. All the people up 'till now, and I've never tasted a lawman's blood. You should be honored that you'll be the first. I'm sure it's special; all those years of licking boots must give it a fine aftertaste."

Initiative: [roll0]

Stats:HP: 12/12
AC: 21 full, 19 FF, 12 touch
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will -2
Sense Motive + BAB: -2

NineThePuma
2011-02-14, 07:06 AM
"You know, I never really trusted you. Don't much like prisons either. But enticing these poor guards into protecting a corrupt old man like you? I wouldn't be surprised if one of Hector's people called it low, let alone your own kind."

Rayn smirked and twirled her blades, head tilting as she settled back into her Island of Blades stance, the distinctive combat form having been a life saver so far.

"Maybe after we take you down we can give you to the prisoners to play with? It would certainly be fair."

Rayne (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=273583)
Female CG Fey Touched Ranger, Level 1, Init +5, HP 8/8, Speed 30
AC 16, Touch 14, Flat-footed 11, Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +0, Base Attack Bonus 1
Short Sword +6 (1d6+7, 19-20/x2)
Short Sword +6 (1d6+6, 19-20/x2)
Leather (+2 Armor, +5 Dex, -1 Misc)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 20, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Psilulz
2011-02-14, 12:07 PM
*blank stare, directed towards the warden and guards*

If it is possible right now, Errazzus will enter total defense mode.

OOC: I'd like to start at I24

Stats:
HP: 5
AC: 13 (+4 in total defense, up to a 17)
Fort +1 Ref +3 Will +4
Powers: Mind Blast, Energy Ray, Daze (Psionic)
Power Points: 7/7
Sense Motive + BAB: +0

Darius
2011-02-14, 10:37 PM
Khan Jurer the Conjurer (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=10159)

Initiative (rolled in OOC) was 12

Khan tenses and appears ready. He wonders silently when the guards and warden will act.

ooc: Khan is in L24 if that is okay with the rest of you.

Stat Bar

Lvl 1 Fire Elf Conjurer
HP 5/5 AC 14 (touch14; flat10) Abrupt Jaunts: 5/5
Fort +1; Ref +4; Will +1
Str 8; Dex 18; Con 12; Int 20; Wis 8; Cha 4
0-lvl: caltrops x2, detect magic
1st: grease, PW:pain, color spray, wall of smoke
BAB: +0 (-3 melee; +4 ranged)
Sense Motive: -1
Conditions: resist fire 5; sleep immunity

NineThePuma
2011-02-15, 11:40 AM
Rayne moved, darting up from H24 to H20, then I19, initiating Stone Bones to lash out at guard 3 with her main blade, using her swift action to mark said guard as her quarry.

To Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Conf: [roll2]
If it hits, gain DR 5/Adamantine.

Female CG Fey Touched Ranger, Level 1, Init +5, HP 8/8, Speed 30
Condition None

Granted: Wolf Fang Tactics

Darius
2011-02-15, 10:41 PM
Khan Jurer the Conjurer (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=10159)

Khan cautiously moves out of range of the spearmen's reach. He moves to N18 and locks eyes with the warden and says quietly, "Pain." He then is ready to jaunt away from his attackers.

ooc: [roll0] to warden this round.
[roll1]

Stat Bar

Lvl 1 Fire Elf Conjurer
Initiative 12
HP 5/5 AC 14 (touch14; flat10) Abrupt Jaunts: 5/5
Fort +1; Ref +4; Will +1

Eurus
2011-02-16, 04:25 AM
Round 2 Map:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/DetrichLange/BossRush1-2.jpg

The warden's reaction to the simple curse is dramatic. His eyes widen, and he groans in pain before coughing up a spray of blood. Cursing under his breath, he stumbles away, pulling out a small potion vial and quaffing the contents. He still seems pained, but it appears to take some of the edge off.

One of the guards quickly shifts to interpose himself between Khan and the warden, and stabs at the mage with his spear. Rayne, meanwhile, finds herself double teamed by both of the other guards; the first clumsily swings his spear at her head like a bat, but it turns out to be a feint to put her off her guard while the second darts out a strike at her gut.

(Khan takes 4 damage, Rayne takes 7 damage. Party's turns.)

NineThePuma
2011-02-16, 04:37 AM
Female CG Fey Touched Ranger, Level 1, Init +5, HP 1/8, Speed 30
Condition None

Granted: Wolf Fang Tactics
Hit hard, Rayne growls and five foot steps closer to the two guards, blades flashing out.

Full Attack! Move down left one square.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
if this drops the guard I marked last turn, swift action to mark second guard and retarget my second blow.

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5][/spoiler

Jarian
2011-02-16, 02:48 PM
"Thin-blooded coward!" Atul growls as the warden slinks away. "Well, no matter... your men will do, for now."

Atul rushes forward, heedless of the danger of the flashing longspears, interposing himself between Khan and the guard threatening him. He makes a clumsy chopping motion toward the guard - no finesse in the attack, just brute strength.

Charge to M-17. Provided the guard's AoO doesn't lay Atul flat:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Psilulz
2011-02-16, 03:43 PM
The psion's eyes flare up as she attempts to tear the minds of her foes.

Manifesting Mind Blast augmented with 1 PP, and expending my psionic focus for Psionic Endowment to boost the DC by 1.
Then, I'm spending an additional PP for a Multitask, giving me an additional mental action, which I'll use to manifest another Mind Blast, again augmented with 1 PP.
So I'm spending a total of 5 PP, 2 for each blast, and one for the racial. Successful saves incur no damage.

Dmg [roll0] Will save DC 16
Dmg [roll1] Will save DC 15

Target priority (if target is dead, just move to the next):
G3, G2, G1, W
If any of the targets are injured, I'd like to not augment any Mind Blasts tossed at them, just doing 1d10 instead, with the same DC's

Dmg [roll2]
Dmg [roll3]

stat bar
AC: 13
Fort +1 Ref +3 Will +4
Power Points: (2-4?)/7

Darius
2011-02-17, 12:18 AM
Khan

Khan reaches into his belt pouch and pulls out a handful of color sand as he moves across the ring and over the fallen guard that once threatened him. He ends his turn at n13 and casts a spell at the warden.

ooc: cast color spray; Will save DC 18

2 HD or less
The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for [roll0]rounds, then blinded and stunned for [roll1], and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD
The creature is blinded and stunned for [roll2] rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

for Warden: [roll3] (rounds remaining: 10)

Stat Bar

Lvl 1 Fire Elf Conjurer
Initiative 12
HP 5/5 AC 14 (touch14; flat10) Abrupt Jaunts: 4/5
Fort +1; Ref +4; Will +1

Eurus
2011-02-17, 09:54 PM
Map:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/DetrichLange/BossRushMap1.png

Rayne's first attack nearly ends the guard on the spot, sending a spray of blood out onto the hard dirt, but he doesn't drop right away. The second one finishes the job, and he crumples into a bloody heap. Atul charges the second guard despite the man's attempt to ward him off with his spear. The orc's attack sends the guard staggering backward, and he manages one more feeble stab at the orc before collapsing with a groan. The final guard tenses as if preparing to charge forward or fall back... until his eyes roll back in his head, and he falls theatrically forward with a stream of blood gushing from his nose.

Khan dashes forward and releases a blast of blinding light at the warden, and it seems for a moment that the fight will be over then and there, as he blinks dazedly for a moment, but manages to pull himself together.

The prisoners in the cells are silent for a moment as they watch the slaughter, then shower the arena with jeers and cheers, inciting the warden to rage. He continues to breathe raggedly and painfully, and if the slightly demented look on his face is any indication he seems to realize that even having survived the chromatic blast, Khan's curse is still likely to eventually kill him.

"B-bastards... those were good men yeh just killed."

Raising his crossbow, the warden steps back and fires at Khan once, twice. The first bolt goes wide, but the second strikes true and bites deep. Showing equal-opportunity schadenfreude, the prisoners ooh and aah at this display of violence as much as the last.

Khan takes a hit for 6 damage. Party's turn.

NineThePuma
2011-02-17, 10:24 PM
Rayne glances at her team and nods, then shifts, putting one of her blades away as she limps to M14, her other hand on her side as she attempts to stay out of the Warden's line of sight. She looks back at her casters and motions for them to stay back. This would end in an instant. She would make sure of it.

Jarian
2011-02-17, 11:15 PM
Atul cautiously advances, shield held high to cover all but a slit of his face, by which he watches the warden's rapidly deteriorating condition. It doesn't seem likely the man will live much longer in any case, but Atul intends to be there to finish him off if he can manage it.

Move to M-17, Total Defense.

Psilulz
2011-02-18, 08:58 PM
Errazzus will move to G19 and ready an action to attack the warden on sight

Will manifest another augmented Mind Blast for 2 PP.
[roll0] Dmg, 15 DC Will save

Stat bar:
AC: 13
Fort +1 Ref +3 Will +4
Power Points: 0/7

Eurus
2011-02-19, 02:44 AM
In the aftermath of the massacre, the party advances cautiously around the watchtower toward the still panting warden. Demonstrating surprising agility, the old man fires off a bolt at Rayne and beats a hasty retreat, slipping through the barbed wire fence without a scratch. The bolt misses, thankfully, and he stumbles right into Erazzus's ambush.

The mental assault provokes a shout of pain, and the prisoners cheer as he falls to his knees. It is the curse that finally kills him, though, as he starts choking on his own blood and finally loses consciousness.

In the prison, a roar erupts as the prisoners fly into a frenzy, battering down doors and taking out what's left of the guard staff. Many manage to escape before the cavalry arrives, a platoon of guards bearing eternal wands of sleep. It seems that while the party's message to the Queen did not reach the capital, it had managed to find a friendly outpost. With the party's help, most of the remaining rioters are subdued and tracking parties are dispatched to track down the escapees. Khan is stabilized before he can bleed out, and his injuries treated more extensively as soon as time permits, leading to a full recovery.

Round 1 End