PDA

View Full Version : Exalted in D&D. Halp?

Weimann
2011-02-14, 05:38 AM
So it happens that in my quest to find an interesting Exalted game, I've acquired a D&D game. Go figure. It's a fact that more people play D&D than Exalted I guess. Still, I'm not complaining; as long as the system is usable, it's more important to have your group together and playing with people you like.

However, since there's no setting provided in D&D (read: no setting I don't have to pay extra for), I was considering running the game in a mock-up of Creation, the Exalted world. It's a very rough draft, but here are some of the points I've considered (since last night, when we got the idea, so yeah, unfinished :P).

Just like in Exalted, the world is divided into 4 cardinal directions, each with an elemental theme, and at the far end lies the elemental pole of that element. North is Air, South is Fire, West is Water and East is Wood. In the middle is the Blessed Isle, representing Earth.
The Blessed Isle is the base of the Draconic Empire that governs most of the world through satrapies and slave states. The Dragons here are actually born of the dragons, and the Scarlet Empress, an age old red dragon is the undisputed ruler. These dragons are empowered by the potent blood of their matriarch, making them significantly stronger than dragons not sworn to the Empire. However, there are rumors circulating that the Empress is gone from her throne, and no one knows why. There is unrest stirring in the Empire. Note: one of the players want to play a draconic race, that could be interesting.
Outside the Blessed Isle, the world is mostly populated with the Core book races. Humans and halflings are spread out everywhere, as they are wont to be. Elves keep in the east where it's mostly forests and generally lead a tribal life. Dwarves were originally a race that evolved around on the Blessed Isle, around the elemental pole of Earth, but when the Empire came most of them were killed, enslaved or driven into exile. The biggest dwarf holds today are in the north, but many are scattered around as well. Humans are found in greatest concentration in the west, taming the seas and wind, and are also often traders who sail the rivers and waterways into the main land. And pirates. They are also pirates. I dunno who lives in the south, really. MAybe gnomes? Sand gnomes?! :smalleek:
The Draconic Empire is not Mordor. While it reveres dragonkind as the superior race and will respond with violence against any threat to their lands, they are also the main hub of technological, magical and cultural development in the world. Some human and dwarven nations approaches it, but it's degree of civilisation is indisputably the greatest.
I'll also have Lookshy in there once I figure it out.
So as you can see, a rather faithful translation (read: copy-paste) of Creation. What has not happened is any kind of First Age; there are no god-kings waiting to come back. There might have been greater nations now forgotten, but no world-spanning age of glory.

How does this look like a first draft I literally dreamed up parts of this night?

My second question is about the power my PCs should have at their disposal. I am aiming for an "Exalted-esque" adventure where the players are the driving force in many respects; I've even added a mandatory Motivation line to their character sheets (and I'm considering a free level-up on completion of said Motivation). I would therefore like them to be strong enough to be able to realistically accomplish rather high Motivations. What kind of point buy should I use for that? I'm thinking 32 or 34 using this (http://nc-gamers.com/pointbuy.aspx) distribution method.

BrainFreeze
2011-02-14, 07:05 AM
Higher point distribution, or allowing your players to Gestalt would both help with making them driving forces in the area of the world they reside.

Weimann
2011-02-14, 09:45 AM
Yes. I'm a bit leery of the gestalt thing as a whole. It doesn't feel quite right. Still, it looks like I'll be having 3 players, and I believe D&D generally assumes 6, right? So gestalt may actually be an advisable thing. If not, however, I think I'll got for a high point buy, maybe around 38 or so.

Something I thought about. Creation is very much a place that is assumed to be going straight to Malfeas in short order unless the PCs do something about it. However, while inspired by Exalted, this game isn't supposed to make Exalts out of D&D characters. I simply want the same kind of feeling of player-driven storytelling. So how screwed do you think I can feasibly make the world without giving them the feeling of "damn, nothing we do matters because the world is doomed?"

As I see it, the 3 really big threats in Exalted are the Deathlords, the Reclamation and the Fae. These are all problems of world-ending magnitude, and including them all would maybe be overkill in a world which isn't actually Creation. I'm considering only really presenting the Deathlords as an active presence in the overview of the setting, and toning down the Fae and Infernals, bringing them up only if the in-game course takes them in those directions.

The Tygre
2011-02-14, 10:48 AM
My (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5802257#post5802257)bro (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5805514#post5805514), do (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128551)you (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5806538#post5806538)know (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5804002#post5804002)the (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5814272#post5814272)way (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105728)?

Jerthanis
2011-02-14, 11:40 AM
How does this look like a first draft I literally dreamed up parts of this night?

Looks great to me. One suggestion I'd have: Move the elves out of the forest. It's what you immediately think of when you think elves. Elves=Forest. Unless you're bringing some other unique aspect to their culture or growing them well beyond the traditional "Stealthy, haughty guardians of the woods. Revere ancestors, tradition, and nature." stereotypes, I'd put them somewhere else just to force myself to come up with a new idea for them to embody.

Alternatively: Elves as Exalted-style fair folk? But with their normal stats of course.

My second question is about the power my PCs should have at their disposal. I am aiming for an "Exalted-esque" adventure where the players are the driving force in many respects; I've even added a mandatory Motivation line to their character sheets (and I'm considering a free level-up on completion of said Motivation). I would therefore like them to be strong enough to be able to realistically accomplish rather high Motivations. What kind of point buy should I use for that? I'm thinking 32 or 34 using this (http://nc-gamers.com/pointbuy.aspx) distribution method.

Introduce powers that can change the face of the setting. I find that Exalted really feels epic when someone writes a book that changes the world, or teaches a culture which is just starting to develop into an agrarian society the importance and methods of sanitation (despite not knowing their language) and then designs and builds them an aqueduct.

Beyond that, Player ownership. Get ideas from your players about what kind of character to play, then convince them to develop the nation and culture they come from, and then use it as a major element of the game world and of the plot you're running. If the player writes it, ideally they should be invested in it and have more active plans for its development.

Shpadoinkle
2011-02-14, 02:34 PM
Yes. I'm a bit leery of the gestalt thing as a whole. It doesn't feel quite right. Still, it looks like I'll be having 3 players, and I believe D&D generally assumes 6, right?

Actually no, D&D assumes 4 players.

Gestalt with 3 players IS kinda iffy... If they feel like they have a glaring omission in the party's make-up, I suggest you build an NPC to fill it and have the players pass control of him among themselves during battles.

Weimann
2011-02-15, 05:27 AM
Looks great to me.Thanks :smallsmile:

One suggestion I'd have: Move the elves out of the forest. It's what you immediately think of when you think elves. Elves=Forest. Unless you're bringing some other unique aspect to their culture or growing them well beyond the traditional "Stealthy, haughty guardians of the woods. Revere ancestors, tradition, and nature."stereotypes, I'd put them somewhere else just to force myself to come up with a new idea for them to embody.That's a good idea, but they also fit sooo good in the east :smalltongue:

Also, I'm kind of trying to tone down racial differences between people and tone up regional differences. Elves in the south will behave largely like humans in the south, because that's how the south dictates that you behave.

Alternatively: Elves as Exalted-style fair folk? But with their normal stats of course.Very interesting, but

Introduce powers that can change the face of the setting. I find that Exalted really feels epic when someone writes a book that changes the world, or teaches a culture which is just starting to develop into an agrarian society the importance and methods of sanitation (despite not knowing their language) and then designs and builds them an aqueduct.

Beyond that, Player ownership. Get ideas from your players about what kind of character to play, then convince them to develop the nation and culture they come from, and then use it as a major element of the game world and of the plot you're running. If the player writes it, ideally they should be invested in it and have more active plans for its development.Seems hard ._.

Actually no, D&D assumes 4 players.Oh, sweet!

Gestalt with 3 players IS kinda iffy... If they feel like they have a glaring omission in the party's make-up, I suggest you build an NPC to fill it and have the players pass control of him among themselves during battles.Passed around like the vvillage twwo wwheel healing devvice. Yeah, I think I'll not do gestalt. High point buy and maybe an NPC or so should do it, if they lack coverage.