PDA

View Full Version : PC names that make you cringe.

Pages : [1] 2

Barbin
2011-02-14, 07:50 AM
I'll give you a setting here:

Me: Okay so whats your character's name?

Fighter player: Grimm Reeper.

Me::smallyuk:.

The name kind of made sense since he was using a scythe, but the name just made me cringe at how out of place it sounded in a 13th centurie low magic campaign.

Any of you have similar stories?

LordBlades
2011-02-14, 07:54 AM
A certain ninja that started off as a comic relief but became annoying fast (unoptimized single-class ninja does not fare too well in an optimized tier 1 party):

Tidus Atyger (pronounced like 'tight as a tiger')

Saintheart
2011-02-14, 07:55 AM
I've seen both John Rambo and William Marshall.

In the Forgotten Realms.

AslanCross
2011-02-14, 08:00 AM
Holden Magroen and Loven Magroen. Holden's father is named Spotson. They had a cousin somewhere named Caressen. :smallsigh:

Amphetryon
2011-02-14, 08:04 AM
The monk's name was Hung Wei Lo.

:smallsigh:

Reynard
2011-02-14, 08:04 AM
Urist Mc???? on any dwarf. Yes, Dwarf Fortress is a good game. Have some creativity, or at least no in-jokes.

dsmiles
2011-02-14, 08:05 AM
After 27 years, I don't think anything could surprise me. But I despise characters named after other characters.

Examples:
Sorcerer =/= Belgarath
Wizard =/= Gandalf
Rogue =/= Grey Mouser
Barbarian =/= Conan
Bard =/= Shakespeare
Ranger =/= Fafhrd (I know, he was called a barbarian in the stories, but his abilities seemed more on par with a ranger, IMO.)
Warblade =/= Guts
Swordsage =/= Griffith

I mean, seriously, can we get some originality, here? I'd rather you name your character Bob McSmasher than name it after another character...sheesh. :smallannoyed:

EDIT:
The monk's name was Hung Wei Lo.That's pretty funny. Mostly because I knew a guy who named his monk Sum Hung Lo.

kestrel404
2011-02-14, 08:06 AM
Perhaps the most egregious offense of this type that I've seen was in college, when the GM said "You can be anything you want, literally. Available options include psychic pandas, rakshasa wizards, ameobic mecha pilots, lycanthropic anthropomorphic vegetable mad scientsts. Anything."

And the first person at the table responded: I want to play a human ninja. Named Bob.

(By the end of the game, Bob was capable of one-shotting stars with his katana, but he was still a human ninja. Silly black costume and all.)

Totally Guy
2011-02-14, 08:06 AM
I have a Shadowrun character called Muttal. I told the group that he's "Mutt Al" but his friends shortened it to Muttal. He's a dog shaman.

But I feel awful about the crappy name I came up with...

Badgerish
2011-02-14, 08:07 AM
There was a Dragonborn Warlord called "Trogdor"... that got shortened to 'Trog' pretty quickly.

Lurkmoar
2011-02-14, 08:08 AM
Rifts character named Eric Shawn.

He died when a bridge dropped on him. The Brooklyn bridge to be exact. Everybody tried telling him not to go that way too.

profitofrage
2011-02-14, 08:12 AM
A scum character in my dark heresy campaign has called himself Fabio

panaikhan
2011-02-14, 08:17 AM
I don't think anyone can beat "Minmax The Unstoppable", but still...

Ones I have had to suffer:
Dirk Dodgers (rogue type in wide brimmed hat)
Sp'am (awakened boar barbarian)
Prod, the Dwarf (fighter)

Ones I have used:
Glitch (Warforged Juggernaut)
Aziz (human monk)
Krang The Musicless (half-orc bard)

SmartAlec
2011-02-14, 08:19 AM
Recall a Soldier in a Star Wars campaign with the name of Keith McDougal.

Of the Corellia McDougals, perhaps.

Leon
2011-02-14, 08:19 AM
Barbie the Female Halforc Barbarian and her Pink horse are are why i must approve of PC names and gear now in my games.

Gnaeus
2011-02-14, 08:24 AM
After 27 years, I don't think anything could surprise me. But I despise characters named after other characters.

I was in a LARP once with a friend who was a professional writer, when she ran across a PC named after one of her characters, Gerrald Terrant. She bitched him out for half an hour, then went to a DM and gave him the choice of changing his name or losing his character :-).

Worst character name I have seen in a game? Tig Ol Bitties. The character was played by a female player, and yes, the character did have, err...

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-14, 08:28 AM
After 27 years, I don't think anything could surprise me. But I despise characters named after other characters.Like in my Exalted game, where the martial artist is named Sun Wukong...? Ooh, and the scythe-wielding guy is named (according to the top of his character sheet, anyway) Black Star ☆, not to be confused with Black☆Star. :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2011-02-14, 08:38 AM
This one makes me cringe and laugh at the same time: Dread Necromancer named Jacques Le'Clap.

Jokes
2011-02-14, 08:40 AM
Jesus.

Yeah....

Edit: I have two players who take naming their characters less than seriously. One usually uses the same name for everything, the other just tries to be either offensive or crude. I've usually taken the latter in my stride (he does come up with gold occasionally) but that name was the first time I've ever lost my temper at him.

starwoof
2011-02-14, 08:44 AM
EDIT:That's pretty funny. Mostly because I knew a guy who named his monk Sum Hung Lo.
In an OA campaign we once encountered a recurring villain monk named Hung Lo Fat.

Names I have had to veto recently:
Dr. Gizwank
Snizzy Snazzbullets
Optimus Prime
Voltron

Yes, really.

AslanCross
2011-02-14, 08:52 AM

...that's actually a pretty awesome name for a spazzy warforged.

Dreadn4ught
2011-02-14, 08:55 AM
A ranger named himself "timeless arrow."

The party wizard started calling him "timeless error."

If you've seen timeless error on the forums, then yes, it is the same one.

panaikhan
2011-02-14, 08:56 AM
...that's actually a pretty awesome name for a spazzy warforged.

By the time i'd finished, people called it "Mecha-G", as it had the Jaws of death, heat-beam eyes, a prehensile (weapon-familiar) tail, and loved stomping through walls.

AslanCross
2011-02-14, 08:58 AM
By the time i'd finished, people called it "Mecha-G", as it had the Jaws of death, heat-beam eyes, a prehensile (weapon-familiar) tail, and loved stomping through walls.

Have an Internet and a cookie to go with it.

Mordokai
2011-02-14, 09:02 AM
Aziz (human monk)

Aziz, light! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zJYn9wkt8I)

Kiero
2011-02-14, 09:04 AM
Anything I recognise from another media-source. Anything that's obviously a contemporary name in a non-contemporary setting.

rakkoon
2011-02-14, 09:05 AM
A dwarf in a LARP

"Hi, my name is Durex"

Mecharious
2011-02-14, 09:07 AM

I would totally be fine with this name.

MeeposFire
2011-02-14, 09:08 AM
Cousin named his githzerai scoutv

KHAN!

Kid is way to obsessed with Star Trek.

Barbin
2011-02-14, 09:13 AM
I think whoever named their character Dr.Gizwank wins the prize for worst PC name ever. I feel bad you had to bring back the memories of (I'm guessing) a perverted sort of Gnome Cleric healer.

starwoof
2011-02-14, 09:23 AM
I think whoever named their character Dr.Gizwank wins the prize for worst PC name ever. I feel bad you had to bring back the memories of (I'm guessing) a perverted sort of Gnome Cleric healer.

Haha, He is actually an artificer gnome. I managed to talk him down to Professor Wizbang, which is... better.

phlidwsn
2011-02-14, 09:28 AM
A dwarf in a LARP

"Hi, my name is Durex"

Trio of dwarves in a LARP: Borax, Draino, & Ajax

rakkoon
2011-02-14, 09:33 AM
I'm tempted to think this was the same person with two of his drinking buddies in a different LARP

Mordokai
2011-02-14, 09:36 AM
A duo of escaped prisoners, a dwarven warlock named Marl and goliath barbarian named Boro.

Barbin
2011-02-14, 09:39 AM
Haha, He is actually an artificer gnome. I managed to talk him down to Professor Wizbang, which is... better.

Wizbang is better, but if he was in my campaign I would expect it to go down like Farador. (Look it up on youtube if you don't know what I`m talking about.

Tael
2011-02-14, 09:42 AM
Morone.

No, really, I am not joking.

Vladislav
2011-02-14, 09:45 AM
I once saw a character obsessed with being ready for every contingency. The guy had like 3-page list of mundane items he was carrying attached to his character sheet. His name?

Justin Case.

manyslayer
2011-02-14, 09:47 AM
Oh where to begin. What have I seen in various groups:

Had the entire Clan McCloak once. Rippin McCloak, Tearin McCloak, Losin McCloak, etc.

Had a party (yes, the whole party) names after various drugs (the gnome bard was Xanax, the fighter was Omnidren, the Wizard was Cialix, etc.)

One friend had a Star Wars (D6) character that was a bright pink humanoid elephant named Piffle Snufflupagus. Actually, he was kind fo scary. Saw him get shot by a disintegrator cannon, pick up said cannon and beat teh stormtroopers to death with it. All while talking like a deranged muppet on helium.

Had a cavalier in one of my capmaigns was Sir Cumference.

A friend's group has a habit of not coming up with good names. Last party had Bob (that's it) and Sneaky Bastard (yes, that was his name).

My favorite story for a character name is from an in-store Dragonstorm cmpaign that used to run around here (when we had a store). Had a lot of young players and we were trying to help them get more into role-playing and less into hack-and-slash for those interested. One of the kids came up with a great backstory with cool tie ins to teh campaign, some open ended plot hooks and a few background characters that could easily be used if desired. It was two pages of written material and quite well put together. So, teh GM reads it over and says, "Cool. So what's his name."
The player just goes white and then facepalms, " I knew I forgot something!".

MeeposFire
2011-02-14, 09:47 AM
I once saw a character obsessed with being ready for every contingency. The guy had like 3-page list of mundane items he was carrying attached to his character sheet. His name?

Justin Case.

I was expecting MacGyer.

starwoof
2011-02-14, 09:58 AM
Wizbang is better, but if he was in my campaign I would expect it to go down like Farador. (Look it up on youtube if you don't know what I`m talking about.
:smallbiggrin:

One of my players once played a half dragon/anthropomorphic whale named... hell I cant spell it, but it was pronounced Quazamalazatrabadexicus Fraznoop. The name itself isn't that bad but he insisted on talking really slow and entering his name into every sentence. "I, Quazamalazatrabadexicus Fraznoop, agree with what you said." We eventually just started talking over him.

Its funny now, but it was infuriating then.:smalltongue:

Roderick_BR
2011-02-14, 09:59 AM
A dwarf in a LARP

"Hi, my name is Durex"
I'd burst out in laugher if someone came to my table and said that.

Unrest
2011-02-14, 10:03 AM
(...)
My favorite story for a character name is from an in-store Dragonstorm cmpaign that used to run around here (when we had a store). Had a lot of young players and we were trying to help them get more into role-playing and less into hack-and-slash for those interested. One of the kids came up with a great backstory with cool tie ins to teh campaign, some open ended plot hooks and a few background characters that could easily be used if desired. It was two pages of written material and quite well put together. So, teh GM reads it over and says, "Cool. So what's his name."

Made my day, both of them.

I was expecting MacGyer.

Well, MacGyver is basically anyone with Eschew Materials >.>

Also, one person insisted on playing a female paladin in our group. Blue cloak, bastard sword. Miko. At least we had the trapspringer.

MeeposFire
2011-02-14, 10:15 AM
Ah MacGyver is not a spellcaster, that would cheapen his awesomeness. He is much more mundane than that.

Vladislav
2011-02-14, 10:24 AM
I was expecting MacGyer.That ... doesn't really fit. McGyver never actually carried too many items. He just used whatever was available. The guy I'm talking about would, at every opportunity, reach into his Haversack or Bag of Holding, or some other extradimensional storage, and go, "Hey guys, I brought this thing, just in case..."

Elric VIII
2011-02-14, 10:40 AM
Warblade named Bigus Dikus, Rogue named Solid Snake. Need I say more?

DarkEternal
2011-02-14, 10:41 AM
Dr. Acula for the party cleric.

Cogidubnus
2011-02-14, 11:59 AM
Well, there was my Nymph named Lolita. In hindsight, that was inappropriate.

Once had a player turn up without a name. Hadn't forgotten, just thought it wasn't imporant. So we called him Ug all day.

BlckDv
2011-02-14, 12:04 PM
I was in a LARP once with a friend who was a professional writer, when she ran across a PC named after one of her characters, Gerrald Terrant. She bitched him out for half an hour, then went to a DM and gave him the choice of changing his name or losing his character :-).

Worst character name I have seen in a game? Tig Ol Bitties. The character was played by a female player, and yes, the character did have, err...

Offtopic:
I didn't know C.S. Friedman LARPed. If I'd bothered to consider her costuming in addition to her writing, I should have guessed. I'm not shocked that someone wanted to use the Hunter for a character, the Coldfire books were a great read, especially When True Night Falls.

On Topic:
An inadvertent entry, our party had just lost two members and we were RPing having the new PCs join up, my Dwarf Grim Littlebottom (Discworld tip of the hat) had gotten tired of explaining his name and so told the first new party member tongue in cheek that while they keep it secret, all Dwarven family names are actually commentary on their butts. Just in time for us to meet the second new party member... a dwarf named Gravel Deepsteel. Poor guy had no idea why we all died laughing at his introduction.

Jair Barik
2011-02-14, 12:12 PM
I have a character in a Serenity roleplay. He is called Watt. Doctor Watt to be precise. Much hilarity has ensued from there and when other players try to avoid using the name they inevitably fall into the pitfall of calling me The Doctor. Further hilarity was caused when we kidnapped a second doctor that nobody could remember the name of. Needless to say it was hard to tell who was talking about which doctor at any given time.

Silus
2011-02-14, 12:26 PM
An Elven Monk/Ranger Gestalt:

Horizon Walker, Planar Ranger.

Guy has a cowboy hat and fake beard in his inventory.

Reynard
2011-02-14, 12:28 PM
An Elven Monk/Ranger Gestalt:

Horizon Walker, Planar Ranger.

Guy has a cowboy hat and fake beard in his inventory.

...For a second, I thought you meant he had those PrCs, and was about to ask for the name.

Damnit.

Percival
2011-02-14, 12:29 PM
Sith, the chaotic evil ninja. Who tried to use "Boromir" as a cover name after going into an inn.

Then he made a warlock named Hiro (hero? duh) who was obsessed with justice. And had no personality or backstory apart from that.

Same player's current character is named Korbin Drowess (ie Corbin Dallas), and is a mineral warrior water halfling.

Hyudra
2011-02-14, 12:32 PM
Half copper dragon gnome illusionist.

Glinty Sparklebottom.

It wasn't just the name, but the entire name, race, class combination boded ill.

Gnaeus
2011-02-14, 12:36 PM
Offtopic:
I didn't know C.S. Friedman LARPed. If I'd bothered to consider her costuming in addition to her writing, I should have guessed. I'm not shocked that someone wanted to use the Hunter for a character, the Coldfire books were a great read, especially When True Night Falls.

She was active in the Camarilla for a number of years. I now live some 12 hours from DC, and I don't LARP anymore, so I can't say if she still is or not. She was known for playing wierd stuff that nobody else could get approved because her character backgrounds were so detailed and well written.

But it all goes to show, be careful what names you use in public games, because you never know which authors might also be gamers, or how they might feel about appropriations of their characters.

Fallbot
2011-02-14, 12:45 PM
Betty the berserker (never just "Betty", the "the berserker" part is mandatory)
Daisy the drow sorceress
ZELTHIOR (yes, it has to be capitalized) the ranger, with his animal companion OZMAND the bear

Thorcrest
2011-02-14, 12:57 PM
Let's see...

Spoone Tang... yeah, don't let multiple people name a PC!
Urg the Barbarian... we also had Urk, but that was more of a real life running joke that was brought to the table, so it was acceptable.
Ted the Golfer
Xyrquani... just because I wanted to make people have a hard name to pronounce... he was in the same party as the above mentionned Ted the Golfer.
Bill
I created Truggar, which isn't so bad until the origins of the name are shown. He was a Half-Orc Druid whose name was a combination of the words Tree and Hugger... Yeah.

Marillion
2011-02-14, 01:00 PM
Let's see...
Bill
Nothing wrong with Bill.

Billiam, on the other hand...

Admiral Squish
2011-02-14, 01:03 PM
A warforged barbarian with Jaws of Death. He had a tendency to eat enemies.

The name? Ahm N'ahm N'ahm.

There's also Yomruzz Nomna.

Cirrhosis
2011-02-14, 01:05 PM
a ranger dragon hunter in a 2nd ed game named Darby Dragons [there be dragons!].

i once played a gnome illusionist named Fizzlewinks the Nimble in a slightly less serious but short-lived campaign. good times were had.

Hawriel
2011-02-14, 01:05 PM
Never really had horrable names out side of blatant toungh and cheek throw away game. The first 3rd ed game my friends and I played to test it out is an example. We all made dwarves from the same clan.

The Iron Balls clan.

Rock Hard (fighter)

Steel Shaft (fighter)

Big Brass (dont remember)

and my character

Snatch (female dwarf thief)

We each died horably 3 times. 3rd ed orcs with two handed axes is not good enemy to fight fresh out the gate.

I did have a friend two years ago make a halfing named Von Baga douche. Yes the name sais it all. Yes that was the reason that campaine died. Ok so one exeption to 'never really'.

Choco
2011-02-14, 01:06 PM
The monk's name was Hung Wei Lo.

:smallsigh:

I had a character named Long Dong in the party once. He was big on using staffs, wands, and rods in combat, complete with commentary on all his moves.

Then there was one group, no one ever cared to remember anyone's name (yeah, they were 100% roll-play) so when the inevitable TPK occurred they named their new characters Wizard, Cleric, Warblade, and Barbarian. That lead to me using the same naming convention for NPC's. That was a very special game.

I myself sometimes like to name characters after published characters, and have it not match at all. Like a "STR as a dump stat" sorcerer named Kenshiro.

Mordokai
2011-02-14, 01:07 PM

There's also Yomruzz Nomna.

Ok, I can't help myself, but I find this hillarious :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2011-02-14, 01:08 PM
Darren Maclennan mentioned in one of his reviews that he had a Rifts character named Testosticles. And rpg.net has these fine gentlemen (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=125515).

soir8
2011-02-14, 01:09 PM
I once had an NPC in my campaign whose name was Captain Endrider.

He later introduced the PCs to his daughter.

Her name was Belle.

CodeRed
2011-02-14, 01:12 PM
Had a guy in our group. He made a Wizard who specialized in enchantment; can you see where this is going? Yeah, he made us call him "Tim the Enchanter" at every conceivable opportunity. Also, he refused to answer to simply Tim or Timothy. It had to be TIM THE ENCHANTER or he would just ignore you.

Zherog
2011-02-14, 01:13 PM
Had a party (yes, the whole party) names after various drugs (the gnome bard was Xanax, the fighter was Omnidren, the Wizard was Cialix, etc.)

I once played a rogue in a one-shot game named Ty Lenol.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-14, 01:18 PM
As a DM I would veto any character named after genitalia or excretion, and would most likely ban any player who thinks such names are hilarious. Giggling over a word like "poop" gets old real fast, imho.

Once had a player turn up without a name. Hadn't forgotten, just thought it wasn't imporant. So we called him Ug all day.
Oh yeah, I've had a few players that had a nameless character. While I appreciate Nale's reaction to Them Who Must Not Be Named, in practice such characters simply get stuck with a nickname within the next five minutes.

John Campbell
2011-02-14, 01:19 PM
I once played in a pick-up game where, unable to come up with decent names on the spot, three of the four players, independently and without consultation, named our characters "Phil".

When this came to light, we settled on different spellings to tell each other apart. (This was not a text-format game.)

The fourth PC was an elf-maiden named something like Moonbeam Silveryleaf. (I don't remember, exactly... we called her "Little Miss Elfy-Pants".) Really, I'll take "Phil". We couldn't convince her to change her name for clarity's sake, though. We even had another spelling of "Fill" that we weren't using.

That was the game that devolved into playing poker with the deck of many things...

In a Game of Thrones campaign that didn't live up to its advertising as "RP-heavy", I built a back-up character that was 100% heavily-optimized combat monster, in case my mildly-optimized combat monster (I'd played with the GM before...) died. His name? Ser Tandeth.

edit:
Oh, yeah, that one reminds me... in the SCA, there's a guy called "Osis of the Livery". He eventually got himself knighted...

Ksheep
We've had one player who had a string of horrible name. A sample:
Butternut (human fighter)
Wheatflakes (barbarian of some variety)
Potato (Goliath monk)

Marillion
Had a guy in our group. He made a Wizard who specialized in enchantment; can you see where this is going? Yeah, he made us call him "Tim the Enchanter" at every conceivable opportunity. Also, he refused to answer to simply Tim or Timothy. It had to be TIM THE ENCHANTER or he would just ignore you.

"Hey Timothy, just keep ignoring me if you want me to lighten your purse for you."

manyslayer
2011-02-14, 01:23 PM
Made a gnome duskblade, Djali Undappy (Jolly and happy). Never got to play him, though, as the campaign never got off the ground.

Had an NPC slaver in my Spelljammer campaign (Shou from Forgotten Realms). Name was supposed to be Wu Chang. When introducing him, misspoke and Chu Wang led to snickers whenever he was spoken of.

On talking about NPC names, some players I knew (same group as Sneaky Bastard) couldn't be bothered to learn the NPC warriors that were accompanying the group. Just called them the "arrow catchers". Called them this in character. In front of said NPCs. Then wondered why they wouldn't go along with their tactical plans that called for the warriors to charge the horde of undead.

manyslayer
2011-02-14, 01:28 PM
I once played in a pick-up game where, unable to come up with decent names on the spot, three of the four players, independently and without consultation, named our characters "Phil".

My friend and I played elven twins once in Dragonstorm. Wheldon and Whelldon (pronounced exactly the same). Whenever a non-elf asked which one we were, we would comment on non-elven ears being unable to pick up on the inflection of the name. (Of course we dressed the same and had magic items allowing us to emulate the other's abilities so that didn't help).

Mordokai
2011-02-14, 01:29 PM
As a DM I would veto any character named after genitalia or excretion, and would most likely ban any player who thinks such names are hilarious. Giggling over a word like "poop" gets old real fast, imho.

Now imagine sitting around the table where three of the players regulary make jokes about giving every enemy we meet cloaca. Sometimes postmortem. And sometimes going into very biological details... And lets not even begin with the skull**** jokes.

I swear, one more "joke" about that and I'm out of the group.

pinwiz
2011-02-14, 01:30 PM
My first ever character in my first ever campaign was named after the action of my first ever use of the mechanics in a 3.5 game.

I was a half-orc crusader and I was with an elf psion. we were at the back of a crowd, and the elf couldn't see, so i proceded to lift him up with one arm and he stood on my hand to see over the crowd. Hence his name, Armstrong. :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2011-02-14, 01:39 PM
Recently I've been yearning to play a northern barbarian by the name of Tyr Johrlegzoff.

veven
2011-02-14, 01:48 PM
Just played a game last night and a new player tried to get away with naming his Hobgoblin Warblade, "Vinny boulderbite" luckily it hurt so bad to even say that the table unanimously agreed to force a name change.

A personal favorite of mine however (in our first campaign, we were 15) was my best friends human monk with all of the physical statistics of Kareem Abdul-Jabar. His name? Muhammad Jump-shot. He spoke in Ebonics for the first two sessions but we couldn't get anything done without laughing so sadly that had to be stopped. After that he pretty much spoke only hypothetically, prefacing each sentence by saying, "Now Suppose" in a loud voice.

Jopustopin
2011-02-14, 01:49 PM
My friend was playing a swashbuckler ex-pirate from the far south named To'well (to-well). I killed his character with a white dragon in an epic fight.

Out of spite he made a swashbuckler ex-pirateer from the far south named Towell (pronounced towel) .

Cyrion
2011-02-14, 02:08 PM
One party I was in had a half-orc fighter named Fondlebreast.

Warlawk
2011-02-14, 02:13 PM
Fortunately, our group really doesn't have much issue with this as everyone playing is an adult and we don't generally add new players.

The closest we came to any sort of joke character naming was in a legacy type game. We were playing the children of a character from a previous game, specifically of a wizard who loved his fire spells. Burning Hands, Scorching Ray, Fireball, Orb of Fire etc. He wasn't a specialist of any kind or anything, he just always used a lot of fire spells for judicious application of force.

So we were playing his three daughters.

Ashley, Charlotte and Burnadette.
Ash, Char and Burn.

Although, I was tempted to play the name game with my most recent character. High Cha and bard class levels. Almost ended up calling him Rexxen Smith of Mannington, the DM actually offered me some bonus XP to work Rex Manning into my name. Just couldn't bring myself to actually do it though as I had a background I like and some RP directions I wanted to take that didn't involve being a caricature.

The Cat Goddess
2011-02-14, 02:43 PM
I had a Dwarf Fighter who had an exceptionally low Dex, even for a Dwarf. Her name was "Stumbles Underfoot".

In our modern/futuristic campaigns, it's become a running joke that every company has a "Bob, from Accounting" working there.

MightyPirate
2011-02-14, 02:46 PM
The worst one I can remember was one of mine back in high school. He was a Malkovian named Captain Crazybeard. I nearly decapitated one of the other pcs with a shovel.

Ones I have used:

Heh, reminds me of my old speedster construct for a four-color M&M game. His name was Clockwork Quirk. Quickness and the repair rules made his primary combat tactic self-destruction, it was frighteningly effective.

Just curious, is there already a thread for awesome names? Probably won't start one but it'd probably be a good read if there's one lying around.

Iceheart2112
2011-02-14, 02:50 PM
I'm playing a character with the name Crushface, pronounced: kroosh-FA-ché. Its french.

Grelna the Blue
2011-02-14, 02:53 PM
Well, I suppose I'm guilty of making a couple characters with names that were a bit distracting.

There was my mage Vengeance (assumed name, great for cheesy one liners) and my only gnome character, Dilidalinakendratrilifistilibulitrek ("but you can call me Dilidalinak for short"), who everyone actually just called Dilly. It's been years but his name still trips easily off the tongue.

mcv
2011-02-14, 03:16 PM
Ones I have had to suffer:
Dirk Dodgers (rogue type in wide brimmed hat)
Sp'am (awakened boar barbarian)
Prod, the Dwarf (fighter)

Ones I have used:
Aziz (human monk)
Krang The Musicless (half-orc bard)

I don't think these are all that bad. As long as they kinda fit the setting, I'm perfectly okay with references and in-jokes.

In a WFRP game, a player had a Dwarven Scribe by the name of Cron Ironquill. I still think that's one of the most awesome names ever. In a D&D4 test game, my Warlord was called Sir Ranald of Idunhoe. I've played Ace Rimmer in a CORPS/Wing Commander one-shot game. In a Hellenic setting, my druid is called Dentros Agkalikos, which is bad pig-Greek for "Tree Hugger". His animal companion eagle is called Aetos, which is Greek for "eagle".

What annoyed me somewhat is the player that calls all of his characters Bob. When pressed that Bob was not a terribly suitable name in that setting, he was willing to change it to Bobba. Bobba the Riverboatman, Bob the Troll Skyraider. Probably a lot more, but these two were in long campaigns. I think he's using a bit more variety now, though.

And to be honest, I now feel bad about giving him a hard time for it. The game is meant to be fun, after all. Let players just use whatever name suits them. And if the player truly is an idiot, then just kick him out of the group, instead of forcing him to adapt.

mcv
2011-02-14, 03:18 PM
I'm playing a character with the name Crushface, pronounced: kroosh-FA-ché. Its french.

Are you familiar with Mr Teatime from Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather?

wormwood
2011-02-14, 03:21 PM
Way, way back in the day, my cousin played a character named Nacho Mama. "I don't know who you think you are, but I am Nacho Mama."

He also had a pirate character named Captain Crunch.

Gamerlord
2011-02-14, 03:23 PM
Anything that is a bad pun or movie reference, few examples:

Warforged called C-3PO
Warforged called Iron Man (Kid was playing a Warforged for the first time, so I guess I have to cut him a little slack)
Half-orc monk called Ug-lee

Dire Moose
2011-02-14, 03:29 PM
Oh, the early days of my campaign were full of this, as most of my players back then didn't take the game seriously at all. Two of them really stand out, though.

There was a 400-pound transgendered halfling sorcerer by the name of "Mort Periwinkle the Second" (and yes, the player insisted on using "The Second" instead of "Junior").

As if Mort Periwinkle the Second wasn't enough, we later had a female half-elf druid (played by a guy) named "Snappy FiveSmax" who was adventuring because she had lost a bet with a group of koalas and had a camel air-dropped in from a desert miles away as her companion.

I don't mind the occasional sillyness, but Snappy FiveSmax and Mort Periwinkle the Second really went too far.

On an unrelated note, I have occasionally heard of someone playing a dwarf fighter named Bier Khegg.

Choco
2011-02-14, 03:33 PM

Lol, I had a character named Captain Crunch before too...

He was a giant cyborg who's hand was almost as big as an average person, and during interrogations if the prisoners didn't answer to his satisfaction he crushed them and had the data extracted from their brains. Though he was LE, he was the nicest member of the party in that regard. Even in cyberpunk games it's often easier to get answers from a corpse, and he at least gave them the chance to live, unlike the rest of the party.

Continuing with the corniness, one of my friends had a necromancer named Ani Mayt.

That is tame for him though, same guy also made a character named Taka Doomp (take a dump). Seriously. He originally wanted Taeka D'Ump, but I told him to at least disguise it a little bit...

Doc Roc
2011-02-14, 03:41 PM
I have a few.

The Cube.

Algernon of White Lilies.

Pun-Pun.

This... isn't what people meant, is it?

Okay, for a long time, my characters had the naming convention King <Descriptor>. How's that for terrible?

randomhero00
2011-02-14, 03:45 PM
omg i have some of the worst. You know all those frickin cop shows? He'd name his characters after them.

Curmudgeon
2011-02-14, 03:52 PM
Sir Loin, of Beef. :smallsigh:

Yora
2011-02-14, 03:54 PM
I almost played an orc mercenary called Chun-Li.

But it would have been a Shadowrun game and the character chose that as a cover name since she thought that everyone would think it's a normal chinese name, but as one of the few people who still knew Street Fighter, she would immediately raise her head hearing someone being called by that name and remember that it was supposed to be her name.

Instead I played Eva Gurlukovich, a blond russian soldier with a vintage bike. :smallamused:

This also reminds me that I have to read Snow Crash. The main character is called Hiro Protagonist.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-14, 03:58 PM
I'm currently playing with a rogue named Didi. Imagine a valley girl rogue. *sigh*

nedz
2011-02-14, 03:58 PM
PC names from campaings I have run.

Hi Fi

Everard Dangleybit

I've basically given up worrying about this sort of stuff.

Mind you I'm currently playing a "Gordon of the Clunking Fist" so I can't really complain. (He does use Fist of Stone quite a bit).

Thomeyis
2011-02-14, 04:14 PM
A friend of mine and I played a kobold sorcerer/warforged juggernaut duo named Kibbles and Bits. That game did not last long

Erik von Nein
2011-02-14, 04:17 PM
One player in our d20 Modern game is named Waldo. Complete with red-and-white clothes.

Yeah.

Jaidu
2011-02-14, 04:27 PM
There is a married couple I play with that seems to go for pretty simple names that describe the character. Some example:

Longa, the Longtooth Shifter
Drubee, the Druid who used a swarm of bees as her wild shape
Twoglaive, who was originally intended to dual-wield glaives but didn't end up doing it, yet kept the name
Psytief, the Psionic Tiefling (my least favorite)

We also had a player for a while that sat on his MacBook during every session and named his paladin horse and his D20 modern character Steve Jobs. :smallannoyed:

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-14, 04:31 PM
I once played an orc cleric of Gruumsh named Shorge Soulmurder, who power attacked for full on every attack and refused to heal his teammates, because to do anything less was to admit weakness.

However, orcs get sort of a 'free pass' when it comes to dumb names.

incandescent
2011-02-14, 04:33 PM
In the first game I ever ran (d20 modern): "Bob the Knight, who's in search of his game boy that the dungeon master stole"

I will never let him live it down.

My favorite duo from a short live campaign (4e): Two character nicknames "Smash and Magic"

I played a half-orc barbarian and my friend played a dragonborn sorceror. We were terrible mercenaries that joined the party 2 sessions before the table split.

FMArthur
2011-02-14, 04:44 PM
One of my players from the university dorm I lived in made a character named RizzT O'Durden and honestly believed it was an original name, ordinary for his race. Let me repeat that last bit: "an original name, ordinary for his race".

Guess what his race was. And his class. And style of fighting.

It actually wasn't bad in play; he managed to avoid being an inexplicably legendary warrior straight from birth, since he played a standard PHB Ranger :smallamused:. And his stoic silence and loner behaviour didn't demand attention, which is good for the player and the group since it involved him learning behaviour that was the complete opposite of his natural self.

cfalcon
2011-02-14, 04:53 PM
Two of my friends successfully managed to run Yssup and Sinep as characters in a game of mine for a couple months before it finally occurred to me. Was awhile ago, but I'm a lot more careful now. I would have vetoed those names, but since they fooled me so well they got to keep them.

The game I'm in currently as a player has one of the other players running around as Yenrab Natas.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-14, 04:55 PM
Two of my friends successfully managed to run Yssup and Sinep as characters in a game of mine for a couple months before it finally occurred to me. Was awhile ago, but I'm a lot more careful now. I would have vetoed those names, but since they fooled me so well they got to keep them.

You should lles them to the sserpme fo doolb. Really now.

John Campbell
2011-02-14, 05:24 PM
Oh, bad animal names. I played a dwarven wizard who had little interest in dumb animals like horses and paladins, and accordingly named his horse "Horse" in Dwarvish. When it inevitably died (eaten by a bulette, IIRC... I wanted to animate dead the bulette and ride it around instead, but the cleric and paladin got all uptight about that), I named the replacement "Second Horse". When that one died to I don't even remember what, its replacement was "Third Horse". And so on, until Seventh Horse... Seventh Horse survived! Though only because I put him out to pasture when I built a stone golem to ride around instead...

His familiar was also just named "Weasel" in Dwarvish, even though it was smarter than a paladin.

I was seriously considering getting my current half-orc Ranger a white stallion and naming it Zûbardh ("Silver" in the Black Speech. As in "Hi ho... !").

One of the other players in our game, nominally a grown man, named the pack mule "Mulie".

Loki_42
2011-02-14, 05:30 PM
My group is pretty bad for this. We Have:

Cloud Sexy-vampire Sexanna- this is really probably the worst one, but he plays it well, and has a genuinely interesting character.

I'm currently playing Cloon Georgeny, but again, I play it off well, and he's hardly even a clone anymore.

And of course my one player who in every campaign he's played so far, he's played a variation No Idea. It was no idea the first time he played, which was mainly a throwaway joke game(He captured Baby Kobald Jesus. Seriously) and int the current game, he's playing another language version of the name.

An Enemy Spy
2011-02-14, 05:31 PM
I once played a gnome named Mr. Krumpet.

Mr. Anon Omys
2011-02-14, 05:36 PM
I have a character named:

Tod Halal Smurt-Thanatos the Dood Kifo Kamatayan.

I simply plugged the word Death into google translate and went with what came up.

Avalon2099
2011-02-14, 05:36 PM
I have players in my circle that use names like: Byll, Dayve, Wyll... they cannot seem to pick names properly, and often use names for Humans in this day and age, even in Forgotten Realms or other games.

Urpriest
2011-02-14, 05:38 PM
Algernon of White Lilies.

What is this one? A brief google search failed me, as it just links back to Flowers for Algernon.

wayfare
2011-02-14, 05:38 PM
Had a friend who wanted to play a character named Shakesperdia McBardsalot.

My favorite character is from the excellent game Nobilis: Wayfare Journeyman. He was the anthropomorphic personification of exploration.

Warlawk
2011-02-14, 05:43 PM
What is this one? A brief google search failed me, as it just links back to Flowers for Algernon.

Since a white lily is a flower, I think that's the point. Could be that there's something I've missed though.

Urpriest
2011-02-14, 05:47 PM
Since a white lily is a flower, I think that's the point. Could be that there's something I've missed though.

I guess I don't see why that would make someone cringe...it's a reference, sure, but it was paired with the Cube and Pun-Pun, which made it sound like it was some sort of optimized build.

Curmudgeon
2011-02-14, 05:49 PM
I have players in my circle that use names like: Byll, Dayve, Wyll... they cannot seem to pick names properly, and often use names for Humans in this day and age, even in Forgotten Realms or other games.
William, David, and loads of other names in current use go back many centuries, and are entirely reasonable for the late Medieval/early Renaissance setting that's standard for D&D. Names like Billy Bob, AnnaLynne, Snoop Dog, Rainbow, and Bugs Bunny are somewhat less appropriate for the setting. :smallwink:

Meleemancer
2011-02-14, 05:50 PM
I have a human paladin named Gregor Ogreslapper. But that's better than my friend's Kobald Sorcerer that favors the orc shotput named Malachai the Bowling God.

Urpriest
2011-02-14, 05:52 PM
Come to think of it, in one of the games I ran this character had a pretty hilarious name: Gragstein. It gets better when you realize he was a half-jewish half-ogre.

Jair Barik
2011-02-14, 05:53 PM
In the game I play Doctor Watt two players have unintenionally made character with the same name leading to further comedy. To make matters the worse they are both called Gordon. We are a crew in a serenity RP and due to people dropping there has been a high death count. If anyone returns alive it is something of a miracle. No prizes for guessing what gets shouted around the table a lot thanks to those two :smallamused:

Pentachoron
2011-02-14, 06:05 PM
I actually have a long standing tradition of whenever I have a character that has an animal companion or familiar (which is often, I love the flavor on Rangers and Druids), I name the animal friend "Mr. Bitey <Insert the Incarnation Number Here>". I'm currently on a Wizard with a viper familiar named Mr. Bitey XVIII.

Personally I really enjoy humorous names, but all of the players in my group tend toward less than serious campaigns. None of us have really ever found them (serious campaigns) to be terribly fun.

Icarus
2011-02-14, 06:07 PM
On this board a few years ago I remember seeing a thread like this.
The only name that stands out from that was a guy who mentioned a Lizardfolk ranger named Gnawface Eatbaby.

In a group I used to play in one of my friends made a Dwarf Frenzied Berserker Charger named Major Hardon. It quickly got retconned to Major Hadron, which turned out to be a pretty cool, very fitting name when the Hadron Collider came around.

Reynard
2011-02-14, 06:10 PM
I had an archer called "Archer", once. He was called Archer because that it what he did. Archery. His whole family did it. It was a point of pride for them.

This is how surnames were invented, though, so I feel no shame.

Unlike the Wizard in the same game, who called himself "Ollio Armorsgone" and specialized in using transmutation spells.

Asheram
2011-02-14, 06:17 PM
Ah... My desert elf druid Azif Aram al-Rashid and his animal companion Werner

I do get some flak from using that whole name in introductions, but my group Hated Werner... My poor, poor hyena... They 'accidently' killed him when I couldn't show up on one occasion.

Tvtyrant
2011-02-14, 06:18 PM
Worst one was Rex Imperator Basilius III, played by a guy who always calls himself a king in any game we play. Ever.

Next worse was Whino the Impotent. Who was a drunken master/monk who took celibacy vows. Yeah :smalleek:

dsmiles
2011-02-14, 06:32 PM
Alright, here's a couple for the books:

Metro the Gnome Bard (He was metrosexual, and metro gnome = metronome)
Rhon Jheremy (a porn themed dwarven sorcerer; I'd name some of his spells, but they may not...oh, what the hell...message = Sweet Whispers, Tenser's Floating Disk = Rhon's Rotating Love Bed, Dancing Lights = Rhon's Floating Disco Ball, Magic Missile = Rhon's Flying ------- of Death, etc.)
Sho'Nuff the Monk (cookie for the reference)
The King (also a bard)

Lateral
2011-02-14, 06:39 PM
Once, I had a player who wanted to make a Chaotic Neutral half-dragon warmage whose name was 'Rodgort the Torchifyer'. His objectives were listed as 'Torchify the rural district' and 'torchify serfs'. Seriously. :smallannoyed:

AslanCross
2011-02-14, 06:46 PM

Okay, that one is hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Worst one was Rex Imperator Basilius III, played by a guy who always calls himself a king in any game we play. Ever.

....shouldn't he name himself "Lord of All That is Redundant"?

J.Gellert
2011-02-14, 06:53 PM
Caine.

Yes, this spelling.

Same player every time.

He's not a serious powergamer or anything, it's just the name that bugs me :smalltongue: Lack of imagination.

The Precentor
2011-02-14, 07:13 PM
Lightning Blazetail

arguskos
2011-02-14, 07:14 PM
Lightning Blazetail
Way to totally troll there, buddy. Also, yeah, I hate that guy too. :smallyuk: The Precentor is a friend of mine, and I know the character he's talking about.

The Precentor
2011-02-14, 07:18 PM
Way to totally troll there, buddy. Also, yeah, I hate that guy too. :smallyuk: The Precentor is a friend of mine, and I know the character he's talking about.
Don't make me remind you of Rohn J. Jambo (who also had a cringe worthy name, thus this post remains on topic, unlike yours :smalltongue:).

arguskos
2011-02-14, 07:23 PM
Don't make me remind you of Rohn J. Jambo (who also had a cringe worthy name, thus this post remains on topic, unlike yours :smalltongue:).
Rohn J. Jambo was the most manly character ever. Also, the most incomprehensible one ever.

Hmm. Bad names I've been given as a DM...
-Bob. Bob was in a 3.5 game with a bunch of people actually trying. Bob didn't last long, due to being clinically brain-damaged (something about diving off cliffs without a method to not die, hoping to hit a flying target with your body).
-Wolverine. Seriously. I was disappointed in that player, and politely asked them to rename themselves.
-Really, Lightning Blazetail. Ugh.

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-14, 07:35 PM
A player named his SW character Boba Fredd. Which we changed to Freddo...to Froggy. Now we call him Froggy.

He has since re-named the character.

But I reserve strange character names for Paranoia games.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-14, 07:38 PM
It's not me cringing, but the current group I'm in has decided to mess with our DM's head something fierce. Each of our PCs has acquired either a cohort or an animal companion/familiar, and we've named them (the companions) after ourselves in RL (and not corresponding to who owns what).

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-14, 07:40 PM
In a Star Wars game we were in, the GM ruled that the tag for Rebel ships was Alliance Space Ship. Realizing what this abbreviation would end up as, we named our capital ship the Penetrator.

GM hated the entire rest of the campaign after that.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-02-14, 07:41 PM
These posts made me laugh.

Oh where to begin. What have I seen in various groups:

Had the entire Clan McCloak once. Rippin McCloak, Tearin McCloak, Losin McCloak, etc.

One friend had a Star Wars (D6) character that was a bright pink humanoid elephant named Piffle Snufflupagus. Actually, he was kind fo scary. Saw him get shot by a disintegrator cannon, pick up said cannon and beat teh stormtroopers to death with it. All while talking like a deranged muppet on helium.

A friend's group has a habit of not coming up with good names. Last party had Bob (that's it) and Sneaky Bastard (yes, that was his name).

Way, way back in the day, my cousin played a character named Nacho Mama. "I don't know who you think you are, but I am Nacho Mama."

One player in our d20 Modern game is named Waldo. Complete with red-and-white clothes.

Yeah.

In the first game I ever ran (d20 modern): "Bob the Knight, who's in search of his game boy that the dungeon master stole"

I will never let him live it down.

Jay R
2011-02-14, 07:57 PM
My current game has a Ranger named Aduphus. When a new player shows up, he sticks out his hand and says, "Hi. I'm Aduphus." Some of us are inclined to agree.

My last bard had two dwarf followers named Doli and Felix. Most people have no problem with those names. You have to know a couple of foreign languages to recognize them as Grumpy and Happy.

In OD&D, I had a hobbit with a perfectly well-researched hobbit name, both parts straight out of Tolkien's work.

But not all the players were happy with a Thief named Robin Banks.

manyslayer
2011-02-14, 08:04 PM
Sho'Nuff the Monk (cookie for the reference)
http://haacked.com/images/ShoNuffFullSize.gif
Sho'nuff: Am I the meanest?
Goons: Sho'nuff!
Sho'nuff: Am I the prettiest?
Sho'nuff: Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town?
Sho'nuff: Well who am I?
Sho'nuff: Who am I?
Sho'nuff: I can't hear you...

dsmiles
2011-02-14, 08:12 PM
http://haacked.com/images/ShoNuffFullSize.gif
Sho'nuff: Am I the meanest?
Sho'nuff: Am I the prettiest?
Sho'nuff: Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town?
Sho'nuff: Well who am I?
Sho'nuff: Who am I?
Sho'nuff: I can't hear you...

Your (strangely appropriate) cookie, good manyslayer.
http://www.gingerbread-house-heaven.com/image-files/ninjabread-man-cookies.jpg

some guy
2011-02-14, 08:39 PM

I once played a rogue in a one-shot game named Ty Lenol.

I played with a friend who named his half-orc cleric Prozac*.

In the same game was a naked druid** called Bulbus Olfactorius and a dwarven rogue called Vlerg. Which wouldn't be bad if Vlerg wasn't a portmonteau of "dwerg" and "vlerk" which are Duth for "dwarf" and "bastard" and Dutch being the language we play in.
Well, I didn't mind their names anyway and no one did, our DM enjoyed it also. So, it were more names that some people could cringe at.

EDIT:*I suggested he would take "Hopeügrin" as a surname, but he'd rather play without a surname.
**This resulted in us always asking Prozac for cure spells, never Bulbus.

Uhtred
2011-02-14, 08:46 PM
Had a really annoying player name his Lumi Cleric Gloron. You know, like moron, but with "Glo" in it, because Lumis emit light. REALLY stupid.

R. Shackleford
2011-02-14, 08:49 PM
[Insert Player's name backwards here]. That always makes me twitch. They weren't even clever enough for an anagram...

I think my group was pretty good about it: genuinely bad names are roundly mocked in character.

The Blackbird
2011-02-14, 09:11 PM
I've had a player forget to name his elf ranger, so he just said his name was Elf. Then it became a somewhat annoying running gag.:smallannoyed:

I've also had a player name themself Goat Burrito, but for some reason it didn't bother me much.

Demidos
2011-02-14, 09:15 PM
In one of my campaigns we have a somewhat uninterested cleric, who's named his character MEE because he didnt want to come up with a better name:smallsigh:

Choco
2011-02-14, 09:31 PM
In a Star Wars game we were in, the GM ruled that the tag for Rebel ships was Alliance Space Ship. Realizing what this abbreviation would end up as, we named our capital ship the Penetrator.

GM hated the entire rest of the campaign after that.

That is awesome. I am gonna have to use that tag in the next scifi game I run!

klemdakherzbag
2011-02-14, 09:32 PM
I had named two gnome npcs Otto and Gnu. Both of the Mattik family, my players groaned loudly

Kesnit
2011-02-14, 09:33 PM
My DM has a pair of traveling Gnome merchants name Blackie and Decker.

I had a 4.0 Halfling SORC who I named without saying the name out loud until I got to the table. His name was Theodonis. (Thee-Adonis.) Yes, a 3'0 PC was named Adonis.

In a LARP my fiancee plays in, there is the McRoch family. Sean (pronounced See-in) and Patton.

Golden-Esque
2011-02-14, 09:34 PM
Magnus Maximus McOreicus.

... ugh

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-14, 09:41 PM
I just named a character "Robin Banks," although it is a fake name. What's a rogue without a sense of humour?

I have a penchant for stealth-pun names which are more subtle, usually; Notapis Tachio, for instance, was a goblin wizard, not a pistachio.

Velaryon
2011-02-14, 09:54 PM
One of the people I sometimes game with used to be obsessed with Naruto, and also completely lacks originality in the characters he makes. As a result, many of his characters are direct clones of Naruto characters, and others at least use the name. When he wanted to name name his grappling-based drunken master Rock Lee, the DM wouldn't allow it and made him change the name. What did he change it to? Rock Austin.

One time I was going to play a cannibalistic gnome barbarian named Om Nomnom that dual-wielded a trident and shortsword while wearing a bib. Unfortunately, the DM banned the Lion Totem thing that gives pounce, so I decided not to play the character since he would have sucked pretty bad without that ability.

Currently, I play in a Terminator campaign (using the d20 Modern rules) set in the future, after Skynet has taken over and the last few survivors are trying to stay alive. One character is a medic named Phil Johnson, but everybody calls him Dr. Phil. :smallbiggrin:

hotel_papa
2011-02-14, 09:55 PM
We named the droid soldier (essentially a heavy repeater with feet) in my upcoming Star Wars R4-MB0.

Kesnit
2011-02-14, 10:02 PM
Another one...

In a tabletop Vampire: the Requiem game, my fiancee played a character who would kill someone (or just take a fresh corpse) and cut off body parts. Then she would sew those parts onto her body, replacing parts she had "worn out." Eventually, she looked like she had been stitched together - because she had.

The name was Francis Stein. AKA "Frankie."

noobnubcakes
2011-02-14, 10:05 PM
cheesis gud the illusionist deva
sirron the dwarf barbarain
(spell sirron backwards)

Hawriel
2011-02-14, 10:49 PM
Alright, here's a couple for the books:

Rhon Jheremy (a porn themed dwarven sorcerer; I'd name some of his spells, but they may not...oh, what the hell...message = [I]Sweet

One of the wizard characters in my group had a hedgehog familier. yes it was named Ron.

kringle13
2011-02-14, 10:54 PM
our pathfinder group currently has a
rogue named rinse latherson,
a bard named B. S. coffeebadger,
a cleric named Dr dickwolf
and a wizard named tim the enchanter

BenTheJester
2011-02-14, 10:59 PM
Boba Fett
rabblerabble

Marillion
2011-02-14, 11:19 PM
A Frenchman named Francois DesGaulles.

That's right, he was Frenchman From France.

Also, we ran into a bunch of minor named NPCs. Their names included such gems as:

The twins Ana and Sue-Do Nym
Mon Iker
Al Ias
Han Del
Nick Nahmay

:smallcool:

Bladesinger
2011-02-14, 11:29 PM
One of my friends made a 3.5 dwarf Fighter and named him Tordek. Like the sample character in the PHB. Then he proceeded to charge everything while proclaiming at the top of his lungs (in real life) that he was "Tordek the Unstoppable." The DM responded by making him fight a Dwarven Defender named "Dektor the Immovable," who could cast halt as an immediate action an unlimited number of times per day. I've never seen a player so close to a ragequit. It was pretty beautiful.

Knaight
2011-02-14, 11:42 PM
Joseph son of Vladimir, son of Karl.
The guy had a son by the name of Nikita, fought with a sickle and hammer, and spent a bunch of time talking about his time in the battle of Steel Town. He had a personal rival by the name of Adolf, later one by the name of Harry. There are many cryptic references to his brother Leon.

Sadly, I have to take credit for that. If anyone doesn't see why it is horrible, ask.

Killed to Death
2011-02-14, 11:45 PM
A centaur named Hors Powa, weapon of choice was a Heavy Lance, so he pretty much just charged around the battlefield

Odin the Ignoble
2011-02-14, 11:48 PM
My last Zombie Survival game featured : Noah Scape, Willie Makeit, and Ima Gonnadie

They all lived.:smallfurious:

Nate the Snake
2011-02-15, 12:38 AM
I ran a 3.5 module a while back, in which my roommate played a halfling rogue named Deathbringer. I let it fly on the condition that it was only a nickname, the character had a real name that was unimportant for the purposes of a roll-play one-shot. I also immediately dubbed him "The Adorable" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathbringerTheAdorable). :smalltongue:

Deathbringer the Adorable lives on in a 4E campaign, where he does everything "adorably" and his cuteness is a running gag (complete with a new racial bonus to Charisma making him even more adorable in the conversion). His real name is still unknown.

Amblehook
2011-02-15, 01:54 AM
Had a character in a one-shot game forget to name his character. When it came time for him to introduce his character, he responded Eydon O'Yet.

WitchSlayer
2011-02-15, 02:33 AM
Bleak Darkwhisper.

YYYyyeeeeaahhh

Malfunctioned
2011-02-15, 02:44 AM
So'wl Spiryt Fyre.

Yeah, he didn't last too long in my campaign.

Then again we also had Barry the Barbarian.

Barry Chuckle's (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QU_K91Gek7s/Sn3eybr759I/AAAAAAAAABk/lDIdrB-qf9I/s200/barry+chuckle.jpg) head on Conan the Barbarians body.

In a traveller game based around time travel we ended up with one player who couldn't decide whether he wanted to pay homage to Firefly or BttF.

Captain Marty Reynolds was born.

Telasi
2011-02-15, 03:11 AM
I've seen some odd ones from time to time, either accidental or deliberate.

Davor, the human barbarian.
Hugh Mannfred, the changeling paladin. (My fault.)
Faramyre, the silverbrow human dragonfire adept. (Pronounced Fair-uh-meer.)

One guy always names his paladins Gale, surnamed something storm, breeze, or wind.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-02-15, 03:22 AM
I played a barbarian named Conan O'Brien in high school.

I also played with someone who used to name his characters after planets from Twilight Imperium.

Gettles
2011-02-15, 03:36 AM
Can I preemptively go with something cringe worthy that I plan to do next chance I get?

I plan to use a character named Shaka Enal

Than I'll try to get the DM to make some of the major characters involved with him be "Nicolas Alderson" "Horos Gant" "Dence Sott" and the assassin "Anthony 'Pence' Hardaway" because I'm willing to go to odd lengths for a joke that only I will get.

Also, cookie for whomever gets what I'm going for there.

Eldan
2011-02-15, 03:50 AM
In a SciFi game we once had a character named Hans Olo. Despite him saying the name out loud at least a dozen times, it took me an entire session of about four hours to get it.

potatocubed
2011-02-15, 03:56 AM
One of my friends made a 3.5 dwarf Fighter and named him Tordek. Like the sample character in the PHB. Then he proceeded to charge everything while proclaiming at the top of his lungs (in real life) that he was "Tordek the Unstoppable." The DM responded by making him fight a Dwarven Defender named "Dektor the Immovable," who could cast halt as an immediate action an unlimited number of times per day. I've never seen a player so close to a ragequit. It was pretty beautiful.

I had an NPC in a game named Rodney, who was blanket immune to any form of push, pull, slide, knockdown, or teleport.

That's right... he was Immovable Rod.

joe
2011-02-15, 06:11 AM
Most of my players generally come up with good names, or at least regular names that don't sound strange in a fantasy context. In my campaigns I'll veto names that I don't approve, which is rare, but has happened once or twice.

At one point everyone wants to make a "Bob." It's stale, it's been done, it's not funny. That being said, I have seen a few that bordered on ridiculous.

Bob Evans
an orc named Pork
Don Pyrenicus (after Jon Irenicus from BG2, but as a fire mage)
Jodhi (the Don's warlock companion)
Healy Healerson (a cleric)
I vetoed someone who tryed to play an Elric
Magus, Slash, and Flea (not all at the same time, but all the same player)
and orc named Zug and his twin Guz
A candy pirate with a ship called "The Jolly Rancher"
Bender (a warforged drunken master)
Drizzy D'Odorant (a drow ranger with an exaggerated french accent and two swords named "Twinkie" and "Icepop")
I also vetoed a "Patty O'Furniture"
Some anagram names that are unpronouncable
A character who didn't bother putting a name on the sheet so everyone called him "Blank"

Longcat
2011-02-15, 06:30 AM
In a Star Wars game,we had a character named Robert Anthony Fett. Shortened to Bob A. Fett. So yeah...

Vknight
2011-02-15, 07:05 AM
Had a Droid in a Star Wars game called 'Donald Michelaous.01Leo' He was part of the 'Raphleous' production line.

We also had a Gungan that was solely refered to as Gungan even though he had a name.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-15, 07:06 AM
Batman.
No, seriously, that was her characters name.

starwoof
2011-02-15, 08:11 AM
I just remembered one that really cheesed me off when I was in high school: Unit Lambda Three Three Seven. Unit L33t. He was a warforged.

dsmiles
2011-02-15, 08:15 AM
I just remembered one that really cheesed me off when I was in high school: Unit Lambda Three Three Seven. Unit L33t. He was a warforged.I feel old. There were warforged when you were in high school? TSR still owned AD&D when I was in high school...:smalleek:

MoelVermillion
2011-02-15, 08:15 AM
I'm still cringing at the fighter my friend called "Maximus Strike".

riddles
2011-02-15, 08:19 AM
Patrick Starfish the Human Knight.
Plankton Chumbucket the elf barbarian.

I do not play with this player anymore.

starwoof
2011-02-15, 08:23 AM
I feel old. There were warforged when you were in high school? TSR still owned AD&D when I was in high school...:smalleek:

Its weird to think about, but yeah, Eberron must have come out when I was in my freshman or sophomore year. I feel like such a kid.

panaikhan
2011-02-15, 08:36 AM
Here's one.

Valignat-Sjach: Dragonwrought Kobold Sorceror

sounds nice, until you translate it back from dragon.

And, everyone called him 'Val' for short.

Saintheart
2011-02-15, 08:46 AM
Boba Fett
rabblerabble

...If it was a Star Wars RPG, how was this a problem? :smalltongue:

hewhosaysfish
2011-02-15, 08:49 AM
[Insert Player's name backwards here]. That always makes me twitch. They weren't even clever enough for an anagram...

How dare you insult the noble heritage of Zygag and Drawmij!?!
:smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-02-15, 09:04 AM
Oh god.

I never realized Drawmij was backwards. :smallsigh:

BadJuJu
2011-02-15, 09:45 AM
Well, there was my Nymph named Lolita. In hindsight, that was inappropriate.

I had a player who refused to give his name. Never told anyone. Went on for like 4 game sessions. Gave me a mysterious tone.

Jay R
2011-02-15, 09:51 AM
I feel old. There were warforged when you were in high school? TSR still owned AD&D when I was in high school...:smalleek:

Count your blessings, child. Original D&D first came out in 1974, when I was in college.

rakkoon
2011-02-15, 09:54 AM
Character name: Johnny

Everybody just looked at him and rolled their eyes

Choco
2011-02-15, 10:36 AM
Character name: Johnny

Everybody just looked at him and rolled their eyes

I guess this doesn't bother me anymore. My friend Alex, he names almost all his characters Alex... We ripped on him something aweful the first 3 times, but now we just don't notice anymore. BTW, for the few characters he DOESN'T name Alex, he finds a random name generator and just picks the first name that pops out.

manyslayer
2011-02-15, 10:48 AM
Oh god.

I never realized Drawmij was backwards. :smallsigh:

Glad I am not the only one.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-15, 10:53 AM
I named my first character Bob, a pre-genned 4E Halfling Rogue. :smalltongue:
We also had the Lord of Walmart, so I doubt we were taking things seriously.

Fallbot
2011-02-15, 10:57 AM
Drizz'll. You'll never guess the race. Which of course is face-palmingly lame on its own, but then you get to the rest of his family. He had a mother named Ra'ine, an aunt called Si'leet (with daughters Haele and Bliz'rd) and an uncle called Kel'vin (With sons Far'ren and Hiete). Not the easiest antagonists to take seriously. There was also a minor NPC called Du'vet of House Ma'tress. I don't think the DM is going to be allowed to run a campaign with drow in ever again.

Zuljita
2011-02-15, 11:25 AM
In a Vampire Dark Ages game I played a massive russian brujah who was promptly nicknamed Jeeves by the spellcasting tremere, so i called him Alice since he wore a dress (robe) those names have stuck for years now.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-15, 11:27 AM
Drizz'll. You'll never guess the race. Which of course is face-palmingly lame on its own, but then you get to the rest of his family. He had a mother named Ra'ine, an aunt called Si'leet (with daughters Haele and Bliz'rd) and an uncle called Kel'vin (With sons Far'ren and Hiete). Not the easiest antagonists to take seriously. There was also a minor NPC called Du'vet of House Ma'tress. I don't think the DM is going to be allowed to run a campaign with drow in ever again.
I wouldn't let him use apostrophe key again!:smalleek:

Drakonzeta
2011-02-15, 11:48 AM
When pressed, one of the PCs in a campaign I was in came up with...
His name. -ius.

I will admit I'm somewhat guilty of using the same name every other campaign.

Frozen_Feet
2011-02-15, 11:49 AM
My players are pretty guilty of this. So am I. :smallbiggrin:

Examples:
Jack Lumber (In an eastern type setting where surname goes before given name...)
Esa Nahka & Tero Nuppi (From a Finnish humor show. They're puns on certain parts of male genitalia)
Sakkez (From a player named Sakari...)
Lilty Put (On a halfling... doubles as reference to Lilties in FF Chrystal Chronicles)

As a DM, I'm very guilty of cribbing names from shows, comics, books and what not I suspect my players have not read. I actually get my jollies from whenever someone calls me out on it. XD Due to this, my PCs have Marisa & Alice as their maids, Orcus as their handyman etc. etc.

CubeB
2011-02-15, 12:08 PM
My most recent character has a stealth joke name.

He's a big, brawny, formely half-Orc Dragonborn of Bahamut. He has Strength Devotion, so he can punch adamantine in half. He talks like Heavy Weapons Guy.

His name is Vrak Thurgix.

In Draconic, that means "Crippled Child"

...it's as close to "Tiny" as I could get without sounding stupid.

starwoof
2011-02-15, 12:22 PM
I keep remembering more bad ones I've encountered!

Stogoph Laserson, ibixian duskblade

Not that I don't like it, but I still think its a dumb name for a character.

Grelna the Blue
2011-02-15, 12:23 PM
Okay, well, I just remembered an NPC family I had the party encounter.

Farmer family named Kent. Only child of Ma and Pa Kent was a strapping young man named Cal whose wife was named Lana. :smallredface:

In retrospect, I probably should have resisted that temptation.

Lugg
2011-02-15, 01:45 PM
Years ago, I had a player who named his character "Leet Spoonbender."

Yeah, that game didn't get past session one.

starwoof
2011-02-15, 01:53 PM
Years ago, I had a player who named his character "Leet Spoonbender."

Yeah, that game didn't get past session one.

Please tell me he was a psion.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-15, 01:53 PM
Hah! This thread's had a lot of keepers so far. But anyway, I don't have anything special to contribute, but I once wrote up a character and then later, when actually playing him, couldn't pronounce the name I'd come up with :smallredface:.

I've had the 'no-name' experience too; one time, the party was introducing themselves to each other in a rowboat, with my character rowing it. When it came my turn to introduce myself, I looked down at my sheet and realized that I hadn't come up with a name yet, so I said (not in-character) "I just grunt, and keep rowing"; more than a dozen sessions later, everyone still refers to that character as "Grunt".

Dvil
2011-02-15, 02:13 PM
The astropath in our Rogue Trader game is called Seanus Gilmoris.
A guy called Sean Gilmore dropped out of our college last year.
We were bugging him to change it, so he requested he could change it to Kim Jong Il.

Seanus it is.

thompur
2011-02-15, 02:35 PM
Druid - Busty Birchbugger
Ranger - Bubba Mandril, the Best of Rangers(at the time, the Country singer, Barbara Mandrell, had a hit "The Best of Strangers")

Cogidubnus
2011-02-15, 02:36 PM
See, some of these names aren't that bad. "of" names which relate to the characters abilities, or even names like "Eric the Furious" (a barbarian) do sort of fit the Iron Age setting, where you might well be named for your reputation, not your family.

As for "Grunt"? Try Mass Effect 2's names out for size xD they had goodness knows what budget and the scriptwriters gave us Grunt, the angry Krogan warrior. Sigh.

molten_dragon
2011-02-15, 02:56 PM
One of the guys I played with in college was named eric, and he loved to play clerics.two were particularly memorable. One was named eric the generic cleric. The other was brogdor the turninator.

Raistlin82
2011-02-15, 03:44 PM
Recently, my team's tiefling warlord, leader of the group (not only in terms of gameplay, but also roleplay), was called MESSIAH.

Yes, a Messiah with horns. I totally allowed that.

Yora
2011-02-15, 03:55 PM

Lol... :smallbiggrin:

Another_Poet
2011-02-15, 04:00 PM
We recently started a gamer of Dark Sun. My friend rolled up an elan.

He named it Nale.

It's the only time I've seen a GM order a player to change the name. We didn't start till he picked a new one.

Jay R
2011-02-15, 05:07 PM
I've never had the courage to actually use it, but I have occasionally threatened to name a character Bjorn Achmed Gaiusovna O'Hapsburg de la FitzShumio.

Zangano Athyran
2011-02-15, 05:13 PM
Drizz'y Gillespie.

Drow Bard.

I facepalm'd so hard.

Pentachoron
2011-02-15, 06:12 PM
Drizz'y Gillespie.

Drow Bard.

I facepalm'd so hard.

I'm so stealing that for an NPC. I have a player that would love it.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-15, 07:31 PM
Batman.
No, seriously, that was her characters name.

That's actually not all that ridiculous. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%28surname%29) It's also a rare-but-not-unheard-of name in North Africa.
Though "Batma N. Batman" would be both a) a totally possible name, and b) way too much.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-15, 07:36 PM
That's actually not all that ridiculous. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%28surname%29) It's also a rare-but-not-unheard-of name in North Africa.
Though "Batma N. Batman" would be both a) a totally possible name, and b) way too much.
I notice most of them come from Australia. That makes sense, you need to be the God Damn Batman to survive Down Under.:smallbiggrin:

Rathdar
2011-02-15, 07:54 PM
A Goliath Barbarian named Trukk the Lastmanbender.

Half-Orc Rage
2011-02-15, 08:02 PM
This guy I used to play with had marijuana references for all his characters' names. There was Bolpak, Kron, Kanaybis, mostly dwarves but all pot head names.

One of the other players, possibly the nerdiest of all of us, tried to talk like the pot head and said, "That was way whack, yo." We all laughed and the stoner named Bolpak's griffen mount "Waywack" in honor of that.

BobVosh
2011-02-15, 08:06 PM
You know the morphing plant critters from star wars? I play a noble one of those (can't remember the name) named Treebeard, who only referred to himself in 3rd person. I knew the game wasn't going to last anyway (made it to 3 sessions lol).

I also made Judge Dredd, an angel fighter in a game called factory. MASSIVE bonus points if you know what system that is.

Shatteredtower
2011-02-15, 08:14 PM
Omar Samson, half-orc fighter, and the halfling paladin Nedda Farlander. Better than Kartmanicus and Red the Green, though.

I figure if Lovecraft can give the Necronomicon's author the name All-Has-Read and Greyhawk got the Malachi(te) Throne, anything goes.

Since Bob's been done so many times, I've also gone with "Jay the" and whatever's appropriate. "Prone", usually.

Titanium Fox
2011-02-15, 09:19 PM
One of my players once named his Alchemist (custom class) who specialized in Lightning "Raiden".

Another player, playing a Ghost Faced Killer, named him "Wu of the Tang Clan". Yes, I did make a "Tang Clan" in my campaign on the southern edge of the main continent.

I was significantly less original than mister Wu up there. I once named a Bard "The Minstrel". Raise your hand if you don't know someone who has played with or as a character with that name.

Barbin
2011-02-15, 10:55 PM
My first Wizard was a female Dwarf named Gren Scren (green screen)... She was an Illusionist.

quiet1mi
2011-02-15, 11:32 PM
Mindflayer disguised as a Human cleric, playing off of bad names: Claire Eck...ason.... Claire Eckason... Totally human.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-02-16, 12:23 AM
Can I preemptively go with something cringe worthy that I plan to do next chance I get?

I plan to use a character named Shaka Enal

Than I'll try to get the DM to make some of the major characters involved with him be "Nicolas Alderson" "Horos Gant" "Dence Sott" and the assassin "Anthony 'Pence' Hardaway" because I'm willing to go to odd lengths for a joke that only I will get.

Also, cookie for whomever gets what I'm going for there.Nicolas' nickname should be "the brick," and he should hate it. And your character should have left Nicolas, Horos, Dence and Anthony in bad circumstances for more riches in a faraway land. Your character should also be an immature bridge-burner who's only in shape a quarter of the year.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-16, 01:28 AM

Beautiful. *sniff* :smallfrown:.

Welknair
2011-02-16, 01:30 AM
My team's Half-Orc Barbarian is named "Tenk".

Well, it's better than that Assassin... Ike Il Yu

mabriss lethe
2011-02-16, 01:43 AM
Baron Manfred von Schadenfreude: Goblin fighter/binder very loosely based on Sir Didymus.

Charles Akillinwerd: Fey Heritage Warlock/Chameleon (same game) "my name is Akillinwerd."

Kheebler Khan: DDO Halfling Barbarian

Jimmy Balrog: a magic trap abusing Human cleric of S(et)...omebody. Had a healing shiv.

These were all mine over the past 2 years or so.

Lugg
2011-02-16, 02:14 AM

I think he was either a sorcerer or a bard.

Funny thing about that guy is, he only ever did joke characters in fantasy settings. Around a year ago, he had a warlord who chose a different "inspiring word" every few minutes. ("The inspiring word is 'banana!'") Last Saturday, he played a wizard in tie-dyed robes in an otherwise gritty setting. The one Call of Cthulhu game I ran for him? Mostly serious.

bokodasu
2011-02-16, 08:04 AM
Mindflayer disguised as a Human cleric, playing off of bad names: Claire Eck...ason.... Claire Eckason... Totally human.

I played Claire the Cleric once. She eventually retired and married Pal the Paladin. Their daughter, Holly the Holy Warrior continued their noble tradition. (They don't like to talk about their son, Andrew. He turned out to be the black sheep of the family.)

Protecar
2011-02-16, 08:18 AM
I'm pretty accepting of any character names as long as there's some thought--or any. If it's a ripoff of a character name from some media font, it usually miffs me a tad(as I'm sure it does for most of us).

Jay R
2011-02-16, 11:02 AM
Very early Traveler had a race of two-foot tall intelligent amoeboids. I rolled one (it wasn't my choice), and promptly dubbed him "Ooze the Avenger".

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-16, 11:41 AM
I had someone playing this in my group:
Nomed Worra
Level 6 Tiefling Ranger
Favored Enemy (BBEG)

The last entry causes at least two discussions a day: ''He's the BBEG! No, it's a minion! No way - He's a wizard, standing in the middle of the room!'''' etc. etc. :smallbiggrin:

Darth Stabber
2011-02-16, 11:49 AM

We had a droid in SWSE that went by the name of glitch. He was a cross between Bender (of futurama), HK-47(KotOR), and Elan(OOTS). His back story is that he was a janitor droid that the padawans at the jedi enclave practiced Ionize on. After being rebuilt, defragged and retooled a million times, he became unbalanced, ran away and joined with a mercenary Twi'lek. Hillarity ensued, NPCs cowered in fear, and even after the character left, there were multiple occasions that NPCs would check to ensure he wasn't still around.

Zuljita
2011-02-16, 11:54 AM

that reminds me, i had forgotten about our 4e game with the monk "aang the last genderbender". The same player looked at the phb suggestions for dragonborn names saw "shamash" and went with "Shamush the magic dragon"

Acanous
2011-02-16, 11:55 AM
Any name based off of bad sexual innuendo.
I know two players who do this constantly. "Scroterotes" or "Hugh Gerdong" or any other number of really, truly lame puns.

I've seen a couple of decent puns out there, like Mab Lynch, the half elf enchanter.. but ugh. Puns are usually bad as names.

Tenebris
2011-02-16, 12:12 PM
Dragonwrought kobold named Serexsentrethulvirofirkenistar. Just to preserve the tradition of dragons having very long names.

grim1020
2011-02-16, 12:54 PM

For the record, Tordek “The Unstoppable” destroyed Dektor with ease, also that name is no where near as bad as my boy Zach's human cleric Christian Cross, and anyway the only way to play a dwarf fighter with 13 Int. and 10 Wis. is to scream your name as loud as possible and charge anything and everything like the dungeon crasher variant he was:smallcool:

Gettles
2011-02-16, 02:18 PM
Nicolas' nickname should be "the brick," and he should hate it. And your character should have left Nicolas, Horos, Dence and Anthony in bad circumstances for more riches in a faraway land. Your character should also be an immature bridge-burner who's only in shape a quarter of the year.

I don't know why, but I have the strangest feeling that you are a Magic fan.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-02-16, 02:19 PM
I don't know why, but I have the strangest feeling that you are a Magic fan.Lakers fan, oddly enough.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-16, 02:31 PM
Honorable Mention : We had a bard named ERROR. Naturally, he talked to my character (a half orc) in orcish, but if anyone asked him something in common he'd just respond I AM ERROR.

Worst character name ever: One of the members of my current campaign (as in I am dming it) named her character Douchetta. She's a cleric but she spends every round loading and firing her light crossbow, refusing to heal or otherwise use magic. Furthermore her feat is run.

My own worst name choice: I once had an Hylian Barbarian (I was testing a Zelda campaign setting of my own creation) who I named Leslie Killface McGee. This would probably be the worst name I've seen, but it was only a test so he or she only got to be in one fight.

Toliudar
2011-02-16, 02:36 PM
I've managed to avoid most pun names, but for an ostensibly serious campaign in which everyone was playing something with the tauric template, I created a gnome/monstrous bee character named Erica. It wasn't until the campaign died that I admitted to the DM that her surname was Halfabee.

Vassago
2011-02-16, 03:00 PM
I must admit I am guilty of horrible names as well. In our first Gestalt game I made a half ogre monk/Psychic Warrior named Notorious O.G.R

Krotchrot
2011-02-16, 03:21 PM
I have a friend that uses the same name in almost every venture he goes into. Be it WoW, DCUO, or D&D...its not a facepalm name, it just gets old to see it in every incarnation. Especially when he intentionally gets it killed off in every game so far. The name, Valithur, and when I saw that name scroll across my DCUO account, I had to /facepalm. He just won't let it die.

D Knight
2011-02-16, 09:06 PM
i had one and its was my first PC named Slugger cause he a BDF (big dumb fighter)

Shademan
2011-02-16, 10:07 PM
l I found it rather amusing but in one game there was a barbarian named "*thump* Me"
the thump there was him hitting his chest. had to be done.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-02-16, 10:43 PM
"Cuddles the Cleric" the cleric. He was a halfling cleric who resided in the fighter's backpack to dispense quick heals and to be at times used as a projectile weapon.

claricorp
2011-02-16, 10:50 PM
Minotaur Barbarian in a party we had was named Rage.

We called our party Rage and Associates.

Edit: Its important to note that Rage had six charisma and we let him be the face of the party.

icantsavemyself
2011-02-16, 11:16 PM
There was a Dragonborn Warlord called "Trogdor"... that got shortened to 'Trog' pretty quickly.

My best friend has named every single one his characters Trogdor except for a couple of them that were for pulp fiction campaigns and the two times we gamed when the characters were us.

Jay R
2011-02-17, 12:45 AM
There's nothing wrong with his actual name, but some people disliked the epithet I used for my Viking themed TOON character (cartoon role-playing).

But I was kind of proud of him -- Ragnar Rabbit, the Hanna-Barbarian.

CakeTown
2011-02-17, 02:37 AM
In the campaign I play in, we had a character named Silantro. Just like the herb. Not particularly awful, but not very creative either. Silantro died eventually, and the player created a dwarf named Gimli Mckee.

Also in that campaign, we have another player who created a character named The Shadow. Doesn't sound too bad, but she got the name from The Gamers, and whenever her character's name is spoken, a few of the players repeat her name as the characters do in the movie.

And then, worst of all, there's the character my friend made for the first time I DMed. Hugh Jass was the character's name, and it made me facepalm every time I heard it.

FelixG
2011-02-17, 06:46 AM
There's nothing wrong with his actual name, but some people disliked the epithet I used for my Viking themed TOON character (cartoon role-playing).

But I was kind of proud of him -- Ragnar Rabbit, the Hanna-Barbarian.

thats awesome :smallbiggrin:

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-17, 08:09 AM
Also in that campaign, we have another player who created a character named The Shadow. Doesn't sound too bad, but she got the name from The Gamers, and whenever her character's name is spoken, a few of the players repeat her name as the characters do in the movie.

Thank god, I thought I was the only one with players quoting 'the Shadow' (the shadow? the shadow! the shadow...) all the time. :smallbiggrin:

rakkoon
2011-02-17, 08:20 AM
There was one Larp were you needed a characters's real name to invoke a curse on him. So my name was

Jean-Baptiste François de Honoreux-les-amies-de-Pantoux (spoken really fast)

One guy actually remembered all of it. Never liked him :smallsmile:

Bladesinger
2011-02-17, 02:49 PM
For the record, Tordek “The Unstoppable” destroyed Dektor with ease, also that name is no where near as bad as my boy Zach's human cleric Christian Cross, and anyway the only way to play a dwarf fighter with 13 Int. and 10 Wis. is to scream your name as loud as possible and charge anything and everything like the dungeon crasher variant he was:smallcool:

I also seem to recall a certain Necromancer named Grim....

SurlySeraph
2011-02-17, 03:41 PM
There was one Larp were you needed a characters's real name to invoke a curse on him. So my name was

Jean-Baptiste François de Honoreux-les-amies-de-Pantoux (spoken really fast)

One guy actually remembered all of it. Never liked him :smallsmile:

Man, that's incredibly easy to abuse even without breaking the mood. Prince Charles Edward Louis Philip Casimir Stuart, for example. I'd be inclined to use some kind of Russo-Turkic or Persian-Indian compound name, myself.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-02-17, 05:04 PM
I had someone playing this in my group:
Nomed Worra
Level 6 Tiefling Ranger
Favored Enemy (BBEG)

The last entry causes at least two discussions a day: ''He's the BBEG! No, it's a minion! No way - He's a wizard, standing in the middle of the room!'''' etc. etc. :smallbiggrin:

That made me laugh!

Thank god, I thought I was the only one with players quoting 'the Shadow' (the shadow? the shadow! the shadow...) all the time. :smallbiggrin:

You guys watched that? That was so funny!

For those of you who don't know what the gamers is, look it up on YouTube, also look up the gamers 2: dorkness rising.:smallbiggrin:

Orbin Dules
2011-02-17, 09:57 PM
In one game I had going, we had a Sorcerer who used almost exclusive evocation, and his name was Stashun Rheet Urit. He spent every adventure being pulled along in a cart by zombie owlbears. He never left the cart once.