PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hippie?

Percival
2011-02-14, 12:32 PM
So, first off: Hi, I'm new here, been lurking for a few days. Now I'm posting.

That aside, I was bored at work one night and thought it would be interesting to make a DnD hippie. Walking around with a bunch of hemp and beaded jewelry, playing his guitar lute, and preaching peace and love. All I have so far is this:

-Human or elf
-Bard
-Vow of Poverty

Although I'd play him as a pacifist of sorts, I don't know that I'd actually want to take Vows of Nonviolence/Peace.

Any other ideas to throw in there? Obscure or random feats, PrCs, spells?

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-14, 12:33 PM
Guitars totally exist in D&D. There's even a masterwork guitar in Complete Scoundrel, I think. (Or was it Complete Adventurer?)

Percival
2011-02-14, 12:40 PM
Yeah, but guitars aren't very DnDish to me. So, he'd have a lute. Or maybe a banjo, if I want COMPLETE ridiculousness. This character would be completely for fluff and fun. The only optimization I want here is optimizing his ridiculous!

:smallbiggrin:

Dochetwas
2011-02-14, 12:50 PM
Elves are already hippies, so that would be a good start.

Go Bard, take Inspire Awe to blow your opponents minds with your crazy hippie statements (and to avoid being incidentally useful :smalltongue:). Seems fun.

Ksheep
2011-02-14, 12:51 PM
I once had a character like this, although he was a spirit shaman. You may want to look into it for it's hippie ridiculosity. Some highlights: they have a spirit guide, can go into trances to enter the spirit realm, and the can turn incorporeal. Mine got stuck in a tree (anti-magic field while incorporeal and the DM forgot about the shunting rules). He was a fun character tho.

Angry Bob
2011-02-14, 12:52 PM
I saw a very well done Hippie Dream Dwarf Shugenja of Earth. Point is, if you want to be a hippie, your class doesn't really matter.

Marillion
2011-02-14, 12:54 PM
I saw a very well done Hippie Dream Dwarf Shugenja of Earth. Point is, if you want to be a hippie, your class doesn't really matter.

Well that's just, like, your opinion man.

:smallwink:

Angry Bob
2011-02-14, 01:06 PM
Right, man? It's all like, just an illusion, man.

What's funny is that out of combat, he was quite the hippie, in combat, he had no qualms about dropping huge earth elementals on enemies.

OracleofWuffing
2011-02-14, 01:12 PM
Swap Bard for Druid, so you can just leave it up to nature (that is, your animal companion) to take its course and maul the things that are harshing your mellow and sending out negative vibes. Besides, bards are like the record companies, you don't want to give in to the man, do you?

randomhero00
2011-02-14, 01:37 PM
I'd say druid, vow of poverty, with ranks in perform. Just tweak VoP a bit and make it so that gold earned is lost in gambling, lost in general (bad memory) or shared with other hippie types or spent on drugs rather than donated to a church. I'm seeing a monkey type animal companion that dances while the druid plays with an open hat. He wears very little clothes and preaches about how awesome it is to become close with nature. And if it grows in the ground then it must be sound. And sex with centaurs (or any anthropomorphic race) is good for diversity man!

Edit: and that they must save the goblins/orcs/whatever unpleasant race cause "they're like almost extinct man! save the rainforest I mean goblins! they never hurt nobody!" ETC with stupid rambling like that. Not only is it hippish but it fits with druid well too.

Comet
2011-02-14, 01:43 PM
Make sure to go adventuring with, at the very least, a barbarian or other violent type in your party.

Hey, dude, you're so uncool. But hey, that's all right. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECCuv2HqQWQ)

randomhero00
2011-02-14, 01:43 PM
Mine got stuck in a tree (anti-magic field while incorporeal and the DM forgot about the shunting rules). He was a fun character tho.

OMG I can just imagine that...

"Hey Dave man...did that tree just talk?"
"Naw man, smoke some more of this and the voices will go away."
As you desparately scream for help. hehe

Percival
2011-02-14, 02:17 PM
I'm doing bard, that part's set in stone, so stop suggesting druid! :P

So, suggestions based on that?

Waker
2011-02-14, 02:19 PM
Yeah, you would have to refluff the VoP, since by the rules you wouldn't be able to own an instrument. Of course a Bard can cast Summon Instrument. If you wanted to combine the tree-hugging aspect with being a musician, try Fochulan Lyricist from CAdv. For extra fun, take Green Ear as a feat. If you want to be the type that stands on a soapbox and tells people why feudalism is keeping you down, try Evangelist from CDiv.

Percival
2011-02-14, 02:24 PM
If you wanted to combine the tree-hugging aspect with being a musician, try Fochulan Lyricist from CAdv. For extra fun, take Green Ear as a feat. If you want to be the type that stands on a soapbox and tells people why feudalism is keeping you down, try Evangelist from CDiv.

Who says I can't do BOTH?! Excellent ideas, btw.

Hadn't even thought to go fochlucan lyrist. I've wanted to try one of those out for a long time anyway, just because it's an interesting build (and it IS the build. There is only one way to make a fochlucan lyrist.)

Shpadoinkle
2011-02-14, 02:24 PM
What's funny is that out of combat, he was quite the hippie, in combat, he had no qualms about dropping huge earth elementals on enemies.

Why should he? Earth elementals are just, like, another part of nature, you know?

Waker
2011-02-14, 03:24 PM
You can't like, own gravity man. You know?

Hyfigh
2011-02-14, 04:10 PM
Vow of Non-violence and the other feat for the PrC-who's-name-escapes-me-now... It's a 9-spell-levels-in-10-class-levels class. Has a bunch of fight stopping abilities. Anyways; mix that in.

Waker
2011-02-14, 04:17 PM
Vow of Non-violence and the other feat for the PrC-who's-name-escapes-me-now... It's a 9-spell-levels-in-10-class-levels class. Has a bunch of fight stopping abilities. Anyways; mix that in.
Apostle of Peace. Requires Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace.

Radar
2011-02-14, 04:21 PM
If you could spare some levels for Monk and Kensai, then you could use your fabulous hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dyl0j3WU6Y) as a weapon. Example of a weaponised beard here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116838&highlight=Fistbeard).

You can't like, own gravity man. You know?
HeH, aNd HoW iT eVeN wOrKs? It'S aLl A mIrAcLe (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003912) (warning: vocabulary can get quite not-nice).

Hyfigh
2011-02-14, 04:26 PM
Apostle of Peace. Requires Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace.

Yes, this one. Thank you. Couldn't remember for life of me.

Percival
2011-02-15, 12:14 AM
I've always thought of Apostle of Peace as a bit lame. He doesn't want to use vague god-power to keep people from fighting. He just wants to sing his songs.

I quote my own first post:

Although I'd play him as a pacifist of sorts, I don't know that I'd actually want to take Vows of Nonviolence/Peace.

Okay, just laying this out. Stop suggesting pacifist-hippie stuff. The pacifism going to be RP, not mechanics. I'm looking for druggy/naturey musician mechanics.

Should've made that more clear in OP.

Marillion
2011-02-15, 12:29 AM
Hey, dude, you're so uncool. But hey, that's all right. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECCuv2HqQWQ)

I love you. Bear my children

Arbane
2011-02-15, 02:21 AM
HeH, aNd HoW iT eVeN wOrKs? It'S aLl A mIrAcLe (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003912) (warning: vocabulary can get quite not-nice).

maybe not the best example,
SEEING WHAT HE MULTICLASSED INTO
after everyone thought it was all over.
FREAKIN' CHAOTIC NEUTRALS...

Coidzor
2011-02-15, 02:43 AM
If you could spare some levels for Monk and Kensai, then you could use your fabulous hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dyl0j3WU6Y) as a weapon. Example of a weaponised beard here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116838&highlight=Fistbeard).

Fistbeard Beardfist + Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHB II) = Axebeard Beardaxe.

Get a pet Axebeak and name it Beakaxe.

Win as much as a non-bear can win.

CapnVan
2011-02-15, 06:34 AM
He doesn't want to use vague god-power to keep people from fighting. He just wants to sing his songs.

Slightly off-topic, I don't think you're describing a hippie. Sounds more like a stoner.

Hippies did and do have goals. They're not just wandering around, stoned all day.

Telonius
2011-02-15, 09:24 AM
Yeah, "hippie" has become kind of a catch-all term. There's lots of flavors of them, which ones do you want to focus on?

- Nature-loving
- Counterculture / Fight the Man!
- Stoner culture
- Free Love
- Music
- Making fun of their excesses
- Free your Mind
- Imagine no possessions!

Really, you could build this as anything from a Cleric to a Barbarian to a Bard to a Druid to a Psion to a Monk, depending on the flavor you want.

So, for druggy/nature-y musicians...

Bard to Green Star Adept. You will (literally) get stoned.

OracleofWuffing
2011-02-15, 09:27 AM
Win as much as a non-bear can win.
Well, since Druid is out, the alternative is to pick up Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) to fill the bear-shaped hole on the character sheet.