PDA

View Full Version : Tips for making a good character sheet?

Gamerlord
2011-02-14, 01:59 PM
So for a homebrew system I am making I need to make a character sheet. Problem is, I am not certain how to make a good one. Any tips, or links to tips?

Loren
2011-02-14, 03:12 PM
oragnization is important
size depends on importance
it is nice to be able to record the math whereby bonuses are generated, so that they can be adjusted as new factors come up

I'm not sure what else to say without a discription of the system you are creating. I'd suggest looking at the character sheets from various systems. They tend to follow an underlining logic.

valadil
2011-02-14, 03:20 PM
Design the system before you design the sheet. You'll find yourself changing rules when a moment's inspiration strikes you, but updating the character sheet to accommodate those rules will take time.

Before committing to software, ensure that it will print nicely. It's really easy to make something look great on the screen and then have it look pathetic once printed. Personally I use Inkscape.

Kalim
2011-02-14, 03:24 PM
Under the Alignment section, put Good. :smallwink:

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-02-14, 03:48 PM
Inkscape would be very good to use.

Tips on design.

1: what stats will your player be using most? Put them in some sort of prominent position, whether that be the top, the left, or the center. Design the rest of the character sheet around these stats.

2: put long lists (like skill lists) in two columns, if possible. Break up long lists.

3: if possible, split up the character sheet into sections, such as a section for skills, a section for combat powers, and a section for character relationships.

4: focus, focus, focus

Avoid designs like D&D, steer towards designs like Old School Hack (http://www.oldschoolhack.net/), which was laid out by a graphic designer.

Savannah
2011-02-14, 05:27 PM
Think about how the players are going to be using the sheet. If they're going to be using sections a, b, and c in combat, make sure that a, b, and c are all on the same side of a sheet so that the players don't have to flip sheets while they're in the middle of combat. If they're going to be using some sections more than others, make sure that the common ones are easy to find. Always give players plenty of room to write down notes on what their feats, class abilities, weapons, spells, and so on do (obviously the specifics for this will vary with your system).