PDA

View Full Version : Letting Dvati take separate classes?

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-14, 02:10 PM
How unbalanced would this be, assuming everything else about them stays the same.

Dvati is from Dragon Compendium.

K-B

FMArthur
2011-02-14, 02:17 PM
Well how would it work with the Dvati mechanic? If they each progressed in full like two regular characters it would be unbalanced, yeah. About twice as powerful as a normal character. :smallconfused:

Typewriter
2011-02-14, 02:46 PM
Depends on a couple things.

One would be how are you using Dvati? If I recall correctly the way they are written makes them sound like each body gets a full round action, but on the wizard forums a few years back the issue was 'clarified' by the races creator that the bodies could only split a full round action between them (one could move, the other attack, full attack with 2 attacks, they each make one attack, double move to actually move them both).

The other big defining question is that it would depend on the classes. I don't think one body as a monk and the other as a Battle Dancer is going to wow anyone, but a wizard/cleric would probably unbalance the party.

/2 cents

Kyouhen
2011-02-14, 02:51 PM
Depends on a couple things.

One would be how are you using Dvati? If I recall correctly the way they are written makes them sound like each body gets a full round action, but on the wizard forums a few years back the issue was 'clarified' by the races creator that the bodies could only split a full round action between them (one could move, the other attack, full attack with 2 attacks, they each make one attack, double move to actually move them both).

The other big defining question is that it would depend on the classes. I don't think one body as a monk and the other as a Battle Dancer is going to wow anyone, but a wizard/cleric would probably unbalance the party.

/2 cents

Except having it a wizard/cleric combo wouldn't accomplish very much, as they still don't get to cast extra spells each round. Sure, you'd have access to more spells overall, but you aren't getting any more casting out of it than you would if you were just a Mystic Theurge. Actually, you'd probably be weaker just on the grounds that your HP would still be split (making AoE extremely dangerous) and you've got two bodies that can be targeted for interrupting instead of just the one.

Typewriter
2011-02-14, 02:58 PM
Except having it a wizard/cleric combo wouldn't accomplish very much, as they still don't get to cast extra spells each round. Sure, you'd have access to more spells overall, but you aren't getting any more casting out of it than you would if you were just a Mystic Theurge. Actually, you'd probably be weaker just on the grounds that your HP would still be split (making AoE extremely dangerous) and you've got two bodies that can be targeted for interrupting instead of just the one.

Mystic theurge as a base class + all class features of wizard/cleric (and their respective PrCs) would be pretty sweet (half HD or not).

Personally I don't think I'd normally allow it, but it really depends on the interpretation of the rules you're using combined with the combo you were using.

Aemoh87
2011-02-14, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't allow it because it's like playing two characters.

But for Dvati fun take leadership... that's right two separate leadership feats :)

Thurbane
2011-02-14, 08:09 PM
Yeah, letting Dvati take one class for each twin would cause all kinds of headaches, rules (and balance) wise...you'd probably be better off just letting the player control two PCs and say they are twins.

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-14, 08:10 PM
Incidentally, if it's OGL, can someone link the text on the Dvati's two bodies ability? I wanna make a race with two bodies myself, but I can't find 'em.

tyckspoon
2011-02-14, 08:19 PM
Incidentally, if it's OGL, can someone link the text on the Dvati's two bodies ability? I wanna make a race with two bodies myself, but I can't find 'em.

It's not. Dragon Magazine, reprinted in the Dragon Compendium.

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-14, 08:22 PM
It's not. Dragon Magazine, reprinted in the Dragon Compendium.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUURSES!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-14, 08:24 PM
Maybe in a gestalt game, otherwise no. It looks like a thinly veiled trick to get two characters in a game where everyone else only has one.

Typewriter
2011-02-14, 08:48 PM
Keep in mind, he didn't ask if it would/should be allowed, he asked how balanced it would be.

Darrin
2011-02-14, 10:34 PM
If I recall correctly the way they are written makes them sound like each body gets a full round action, but on the wizard forums a few years back the issue was 'clarified' by the races creator that the bodies could only split a full round action between them (one could move, the other attack, full attack with 2 attacks, they each make one attack, double move to actually move them both).

Not the creator, the editor. When I tracked down the creator, he mostly agreed with me (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7815509&postcount=32) that each twin gets a separate set of actions.

It would be easier mechanically to represent this as two separate PCs, and link them with some kind of fluff, maybe a variation on the Thunder Twin feat (PGtF p. 46), or some kind of permanent mindlink power.

Zaydos
2011-02-14, 11:08 PM
It's pretty much like playing a dvati in gestalt really... except no one else would be gestalted.

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-14, 11:29 PM
Has anyone ever played a Dvati? All I hear about them is either the crazy implications of them and the groaning about the rules headaches that would inevitably show up in a game that allowed them.

Thurbane
2011-02-15, 12:59 AM
Has anyone ever played a Dvati? All I hear about them is either the crazy implications of them and the groaning about the rules headaches that would inevitably show up in a game that allowed them.
Thats a darn good question...I've heard lots of number crunching, but I can't think of anyone commenting they've actually played one...