PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 - Price of a dragon's corpse

Boci
2011-02-14, 03:42 PM
My players killed an adult deep dragon last session and want to sell the parts in a large city, mostly to the mage guild. They are going to keep the wings but everything else will be sold. I talked to them and they agreed to limit how much of the gold they spend on magical items to avoid unbalancing the game, so that is no concern. So how much money should they get for a large sized adult dragon corpse, sans the wings?

randomhero00
2011-02-14, 03:49 PM
My players killed an adult deep dragon last session and want to sell the parts in a large city, mostly to the mage guild. They are going to keep the wings but everything else will be sold. I talked to them and they agreed to limit how much of the gold they spend on magical items to avoid unbalancing the game, so that is no concern. So how much money should they get for a large sized adult dragon corpse, sans the wings?

Not *too* much. Usually the dragons heart is worth the most. Then the scales for armor (but do the have they skills to skin a dragon? that can't be easy) then the teeth and fangs for ornamental weapons for nobles. Anything else would be superstition and up to the DM, such as ground kidney is good for potency or some such.

OTOH dragons are rare, if you really care look up tiger prices on internal organs and such that mostly the chinese make. Then figure out a fair way to convert money into gold. That'd be an analog to the real world.

PS the other thing is if there is a high class/expemsive restuarant nearby. They could sell the meat or maybe not. People are scared sh!tless of dragons. They probably don't want the stench of a dead one on them or any ornaments. So I could see it going both ways.l

Aemoh87
2011-02-14, 03:55 PM
Remember they have to successfully remove the parts. Dragon heart should be a challenge to get out. Whiles things like the scales are much simpler.

Boci
2011-02-14, 07:22 PM
Well as a DM I rule that most corpses can be used as components in some fashion by the right mage, and the player who sold it has good social skills and some trading connections in the city.

Re'ozul
2011-02-14, 07:43 PM
Well, going by standard rules the hide isn't actually worth that much.
Adult deep dragons seem to be merely Large.
So the utmost that normal rules would allow (the highest price) would be:
One small banded mail (800gp market price)
One Large shield (about 660gp market price)
So the rules are not very helpful considering that this should be pocket change for your party. (Drow of the Underdark lists the dragon as CR 15)

ko_sct
2011-02-14, 07:54 PM
according to draconomnomnomicon, the body of a large dragon could allow to make 1 small sized banded mail, a shield, 42 weapons (assuming 32 teeth's, i don't know the average in carnivorous) and 2 bows.

that's worth 24 000g
1 X 11 000
42 X 300
2 X 200

Well actually its buying all the weapons made, the actually material is only worth, like 1/3 (the material cost for making them) and i would allow to sell them for only half price (like normal except trade goods).

Which mean that the bones, teeth's and scales can be sold for around 4000g

That's without counting any magical thing, which, in my opinion, should be worth quite a lot.

Edit: not sure on the price of a shield so i didin't include it, also a dm might allow to make more bow out of a dragon body (i would allow for like, 6 from the legs and 4 from the wings)

Edit 2: also, you can make a potion from the blood of a dragon, the price for one of a deep dragon as well as its effects are not stated and they range from 400 to 1400g, for an average of 1000g. Its made out of 4 liters of dragon blood. So applying the 1/6 rule, deep dragon blood can be sold for around 41g, 6 silver and 7 coppers per liter. Just got to find out how much blood in a dragon and how much is left (ya know, fighting and decoposition and all that)

DiBastet
2011-02-14, 08:20 PM
If you wish to simply give them money in a generic sell, assume they seel for the value of treasure of a creature of the dragon's cr. You could even give some percentage to parts (heart 35%, all fangs 15%, etc). If my players were on generic I would do this.

A pc died, a pyroclastic dragon, and they did cut him "not to let the wyrm's body to go to the soil, rats and worms", and there's a dragon magazine with some power components and more dragoncraft items. Solid stuff for those who llike specifics.