PDA

View Full Version : d20 SRD needed

flare X2
2011-02-14, 03:44 PM
I have resently got the D20 apocylipse supplement not knowing I needed D20 modern. does any one know a SRD for D20 that is usable with apocylipse?
I have currently found an SRD of sorts but still think that I'm missing some key info:

http://www.paforge.com/

go on 'Masters of the earth'.

Kuma Kode
2011-02-14, 03:46 PM
The d20 Modern SRD is here (http://d20resources.com/).

flare X2
2011-02-14, 04:45 PM
AWSOME! But why are the basic classes so genaric? are there alternatives?

LOTRfan
2011-02-14, 04:47 PM
The advanced classes are less generic, but those are sort of like prestige classes.

erikun
2011-02-14, 06:57 PM
AWSOME! But why are the basic classes so genaric? are there alternatives?
It is intended as a generic modern setting, hence why the classes are so bland. The assumption is that you will multiclass as desired (i.e. Strong/Tough/Smart hero for someone who wants to be powerful, resilient, and learned). It also assumes that you'll be taking advanced classes for "specializations" in a field.

Kuma Kode
2011-02-14, 08:51 PM
The classes are generic because to make enough classes to fit every possible character concept would require a library of nothing but classes. Instead, they make generic classes based around the abilities that can be customized by Starting Occupations, which give free class skills and sometimes free feats. It's your feats and starting occupation that primarily determine what your character does... the classes simply provide a starting point.

For instance, the fast-on-her feet martial artist, the sharpshooter, the college kid who loves parkour... instead of having a class for each of them, they'd all be fast heroes, multiclassed with strong or tough or maybe dedicated.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-02-14, 09:41 PM
Indeed. D20 Modern uses rather generic base classes which can be combind as desired to produc a character concept. For example, if you wanted to say make a character who was a medical docter who was both inteligent with lots of knowldage, research and scientific skill but at the same time empathtic( and had in game healing ability you could easily achieve that with a smart/dedicated multiclass without even using the medic advance class though said advance class would really help to flesh out the character more. Also, just so you know, most advance classes can in fact be taken at level 4 so if you wanted to start out as a spellcaster rather then being mundane for about 3 levels and then finally getting your caster class level 4 is a fairly low level so starting at level 4 will not hurt much.

In fact, due to the nature of the way D20 modern works I usually start my D20 modern games at levels 4-6 seeing as most character concepts usually take some degree of multiclassing or an advance class to obtain and thus starting at levels 4-6 allows somebody to play their actual character concept rather then somebody working towards said concept since, as stated before, it usually takes either an advance class or some multiclassing to achieve most character ideas and thus starting slightly higher then level 1(like level 4 or 5) allows the game to still be *somewhat* "low level" without denying players the feeling that their playing their character concept.(As appose somebody working to achieve such a concept, which a level 1 character would be.)

Also, a little word about D20 Modern casting. While with D20 Apoc I don't see a lot of magic-using characters in your future, D20 modern spellcasters are awesome. Why? Because they do not overpower everybody in the game and make mundane characters even less useful then rocks as they do in D&D 3.5e. The reason? Their highest spell level is 5th level, and some broken spells flat out don't exsist. While there is magical power greater then 5th level spells it comes in the form of rituals which take several casters to preform and thus are not wtfbroken like 3.5e magic is.

My favorite advance class in d20n modern is actually a 3rd party class, The Necromancer. It's from a compliment called "Blood and Brains; A Zombie Hunter's Handbook" and if your a fan of zombies and the horror genera I highly suggest you pick it up. It goes for a bargain bin price and it's worth far more then it sells for. It has lots of awesome stuff other then the Necromancer ranging from advance classes like a "mad scientist" and a psionic class that lets you more or less play as Carrie, horror themed occupations including the infamous "scream queen" lots of new zombies and undead including some fun ones like "Nazi Zombies", feats that let you do various things that come up in most zombie apoc type movies like using improvised weapons efficiently or even playing ash and doing crazy stuff with chainsaws. Oh, and the supplement is crawling with references any horror fan would enjoy. Heck, even if your not a big fan of the horror genera the pdf is worth it for some of the advance classes...the Necromancer, Mad Scientist and Boakr(Divine, Hoodoo/Voodoo-flavored Necromancer) all make great villains, even outside of horror-themed campaigns.