PDA

View Full Version : Wish, Arcane Thesis and duplicating spells

SoHardToRegiste
2011-02-14, 04:28 PM
So I'm looking for forum members with high Knowledge (Arcana) to answer some possibly Chaotic Neutral questions about spellcasting =)

When Wish duplicates a spell, the duplicated spell has the same caster level as Wish does right?

A wish can produce any one of the following effects.

* Duplicate any wizard or sorcerer spell of 8th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.

So if a level 17 Wizard uses Wish to duplicate a Disintegrate spell (6th level Spell, 2d6 damage per Caster Level), the Caster Level of both Wish and Disintegrate would be 17, and Disintegrate would do 34d6 damage?

Is it possible to Wish for an Empowered Disintegrate? This Disintegrate would be Spell Level 8, which still respects the Level 8 Wizard or Sorcerer spell rule.

Arcane Thesis

Benefit: Choose one arcane spell that you can cast to be your thesis spell. When casting that spell, you do so at +2 caster level. When you apply a metamagic feat other than Heighten Spell to that spell, the enhanced spell uses up a spell slot one level lower than normal. For example, an empowered thesis spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual slot (rather than the normal two levels higher).

If a Wizard took the feat Arcane Thesis for Wish:

So let's say that level 17 Wizard casts Wish, Wish would be Caster Level 19, and wants to duplicate Disintegrate (level 6 spell, no metamagic), would Disintegrate also be Caster Level 19, therefore doing 38d6 damage? Or would Disintegrate only be Caster Level 17 and do 34d6 damage?

If so then the same level 17 Wizard could use Wish to duplicate any other spell like say Chain Lightning (level 6 Spell, 1d6 damage per Caster Level) and have it do 19d6 damage instead of the usual 17d6. In addition to having +2 to caster checks to beat Spell Resistance.

Duplicate any other spell of 6th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.

So if I duplicate a Cleric spell, that spell is also cast at the Wizard's Caster Level?

For example: another use of Wish can be to
Revive the dead. A wish can bring a dead creature back to life by duplicating a resurrection spell.

Resurrection: Level 7 Cleric spell. Even though it's higher than level 6, the Wish entry says Resurrection can be duplicated.

Resurrection entry, spell description: The creature can have been dead no longer than 10 years per caster level.

So if a level 17 Wizard Wishes to duplicate Resurrection, he can raise a creature that has been dead for up to 170 years?

If he had Arcane Thesis: Wish, he can resurrect a character that was dead for 190 years?

Finally, can the Spell Power class feature of Archmage and Red Wizard prestige classes raise the Caster Level of Divine Spells such as:
-Divine spells gained from a dip in the Cleric class
-a cleric spell like Resurrection for example that was duplicated thanks to the Wish spell.

Same as above, can Circle Magic raise the Caster Level for Divine Spells?

Tyndmyr
2011-02-14, 04:37 PM
I would apply the arcane thesis to the wish itself, where relevant, but not to spells created by the wish, as arcane thesis only applies to a specific spell.

navar100
2011-02-14, 04:44 PM
You can Wish for an Empowered Disintegrate without a problem. A regular Empowered Disintegrate uses up an 8th level spell slot, and Wish can duplicate 8th level spells. You're within the power limits.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-14, 04:54 PM
Oh yeah. That's no problem. You just can't apply bonuses from arcane thesis to Disintegrate unless you actually have it for Disintegrate.

prufock
2011-02-14, 05:21 PM
Why not? The spell being cast is Wish, not Disintegrate. Saves are as for a 9th-level spell, so I don't see why CL wouldn't be the CL for Wish. I would rule similarly for the Shadow Conjuration/Evocation line.

JaronK
2011-02-14, 05:25 PM
Arcane Thesis should work like that just fine... the caster level is the same as the caster level of the wish spell. With that said, this trick will work far better if you're a Shadowcraft Mage and using it with Silent Image, because that way it works through all levels and most spells you cast are Silent Images, instead of Wishes.

JaronK

SoHardToRegiste
2011-02-15, 05:33 PM
Thanks for sharing your knowledge everyone!

Arcane Thesis should work like that just fine... the caster level is the same as the caster level of the wish spell. With that said, this trick will work far better if you're a Shadowcraft Mage and using it with Silent Image, because that way it works through all levels and most spells you cast are Silent Images, instead of Wishes.

JaronK

Ah, this is the first time I've heard of the Shadowcraft Mage. I have a preference for the Illusion school in general so I certainly find this option intriguing.

JaronK
2011-02-15, 05:59 PM
Basic mechanic is that via Heighten Spell, and Earth Spell and the SCM's abilities, you can turn Silent Image into any spell of any level off the Sor/Wiz list as long as it's Evocation, Conjuration (Summoning) or Conjuration (Creation). You even get a huge boost to caster level. Combine this with stuff like Residual Metamagic, Arcane Thesis (Silent Image), and Easy Metamagic and you've really got something.

JaronK