PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 What to put on my screen? :)

PetterTomBos
2011-02-14, 04:44 PM
Hiho :)

After getting my new printer ready I've been making a small DM's screen. Planned/Made:

Front: map of the world.
Back: 100 random personality traits. Names of people (Any good, assorted (race/class/GP wise) lists out there?

Any good ideas to add? Some art infront? In that case: of what? (I'll trow a hell alot of undead on one campaign,planning on putting zombie-pics out front right when they face the undead ;) )

TalonDemonKing
2011-02-14, 04:57 PM
Random names; and random quriks. Helps with roleplaying alot, as well as helping players remember individuals. "The barkeep." is not too memorable, but "The barkeep with the lisp." is not only more memorable, but alot more involved.

Plus players always like to ask names for unimportant NPCs.

Edit: Oops, fail reading on my part. For GURPS, I find that hardness tables and range penalty modifiers tend to get used alot, but DnD doesn't have the latter. Since you're tailoring it to a campaign, might I suggest "Rules" for the campaign? (For example, how many days it takes before the zombies rise, or what all affects them, if anything, or ways to keep them from rising, ect)

Doc Roc
2011-02-14, 05:03 PM
On front and back:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

dsmiles
2011-02-14, 06:22 PM
I have little stat sheets on there. They're covered with document protectors, and I use AV markers on them to record the PC's AC, HP, BAB/Grapple, and some skills that get rolled behind the screen (Search, Spot, Listen, Disable Device, etc.) I never have to say, "What's your AC again?" And I never have to worry about people cheating with their HP.

PetterTomBos
2011-02-15, 09:50 AM
I have little stat sheets on there. They're covered with document protectors, and I use AV markers on them to record the PC's AC, HP, BAB/Grapple, and some skills that get rolled behind the screen (Search, Spot, Listen, Disable Device, etc.) I never have to say, "What's your AC again?" And I never have to worry about people cheating with their HP.

Really good idea , I'll remember to do that :) Think I'll have some tables/art/whatever laminated on most of my part of the screen with player-postits around. (Hey guys: When you lvl. up, gain gear or smth: Give me an updated postit!)

Zuljita
2011-02-15, 09:55 AM
Grappling rules. :P

PetterTomBos
2011-02-15, 10:10 AM
Grappling rules. :P

Not making the screen that big ;)

I do have the online DMs screen on PC, it's just great to have some stuff on paper, and some space to roll behind ;)

Cyrion
2011-02-15, 10:20 AM
To go along with your character data, include relevant opponent data sources- if you're using unusual spells or feats or terrain rules that you don't know right where they are, a list with book/page number and/or a quick description could be very helpful.

slaydemons
2011-02-15, 10:47 AM
you know in all my book buying goodness and stuff I forgot about the screen since this is about screens it would be stupid to ask a question anywere else but first my answer

simply put :the cake is a lie: in big letters it will make some laugh

my question if anyone cares how big should one of these things be and what can i do to make it myslef cardboard?

Knaight
2011-02-15, 10:55 AM
I never have to say, "What's your AC again?" And I never have to worry about people cheating with their HP.
You do realize you could just say what the attack roll is, then let the player compare it to their AC, right? As for worrying about people cheating, if that is a worry you need a new group.

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-15, 12:48 PM
An in-game calendar REALLY comes in handy. and the table for teavel times, and a random wilderness encounter table.

starwoof
2011-02-15, 12:49 PM
Any table you have to pull out more than once per session goes on a DM screen automatically, I feel. I too am designing a custom screen and the very first thing I'm putting on it are the crit and fumble rules from dragon compendium.

PetterTomBos
2011-02-15, 01:57 PM
An in-game calendar REALLY comes in handy. and the table for teavel times, and a random wilderness encounter table.

Currently making a worldmap in hexes, with one line being one day of 20 ft. travel, calling the unit league (Going to the def. of league, rather than numerical ;) ), then measuring everything as a function of that :)

But thanks for wilderness enc. and calendar! I'll be having the PCs walk around in a hostile land, so thats a must!

my question if anyone cares how big should one of these things be and what can i do to make it myslef cardboard?

I'm just using a piece of cardboard from the box my projector came in, approx 25 cm. high and 40 wide or smth, bending it into three parts, one big in front and to flaps backwards, and voila :) A little black duckttape to conceal the scissoring (low dex :smallredface:)

I figure mine is rather small, but still large enough to fudge without nosy PCs :smallbiggrin:(Not that I'm fudging much)

Any table you have to pull out more than once per session goes on a DM screen automatically, I feel. I too am designing a custom screen and the very first thing I'm putting on it are the crit and fumble rules from dragon compendium.

Well, not really agreeing here, anything that'll hinder the history if I need to look for it on the other hand ;) I'm having an online DM's screen on PC for stuff like grappling, NPC names on the other hand.. are useful to whip up in an instant!

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-15, 03:33 PM
Currently making a worldmap in hexes, with one line being one day of 20 ft. travel, calling the unit league (Going to the def. of league, rather than numerical ;) ), then measuring everything as a function of that :)

But thanks for wilderness enc. and calendar! I'll be having the PCs walk around in a hostile land, so thats a must!

OH! and weather! don't forget the random weather table. because you KNOW that they'll ask.

Dingle
2011-02-15, 03:58 PM
Can I please get a copy of your personlity traits list?

tanderson11
2011-02-15, 04:21 PM
Names of people (Any good, assorted (race/class/GP wise) lists out there?

I would recommend this (rinkworks.com/namegen) website to anyone looking for fantasy names.

The default setting provides some very nice and original names, it may not fit the style of your campaign, however, which is why I suggest you try out writing custom templates, more information here (http://rinkworks.com/namegen/instr.shtml).

It is very simple once you understand the basics and most of the work is just adjusting probabilities of certain syllables.

Here is an example template I wrote for a Wheel of Time roleplaying game. In particular, this template was for Carheinen names:

((T|C|M|D|T|C|M|D|S|T|C|M|D|S|L|T|C|M|D|T|C|M|D|S| T|C|M|D|S|L|<B>)(oir|ar|oir|ar|av|an|oir|ar|oir|ar|av|an|ol|<s>|<V>|<V>|oir|ar|oir|ar|av|an|oir|ar|oir|ar|av|an|am)(d|d|| |<c>|)(a|o|yl|av|(an|on|ar|or)|ai)(ne|in|ne|in|r|ine|e re)|(T|C|M|D|T|C|M|D|S|T|C|M|D|S|L)(oir|ar|oir|ar| av|an|oir|ar|oir|ar|av|an|ol|am|<s>|<V>|<V>)(d|d|||<c>|)(a|o|yl|av|(an|on|ar|or)|ai)(ne|in|ne|in|r|ine)| (A)((r|r|nd|nd|n|r|r|nd|nd|n|r|r|nd|nd|n|<C>|<C>|<s>|r|r|nd|nd|n|r|r|nd|nd|n|r|r|nd|nd|n|)(il||il|er|e r|in)(ere|ene||||)|(l)(dr|dr|d|v|v|w|w|dr|dr|d|v|v |w|w|<C>|<C>|<c>|<s>|dr|dr|d|v|v|w|w|dr|dr|d|v|v|w|w)(in|is|in|is|v)(c |t|||)(ere|ene|ain|ain|in|oir|ar|air|air|<s>||)|(l)(dr|dr|d|v|v|w|w|dr|dr|d|v|v|w|w|<C>|<C>|<c>|<s>|dr|dr|d|v|v|w|w|dr|dr|d|v|v|w|w)(in|is|in|is|v)(c |t|||)(ere|ene|ain|ain|in|oir|ar|air|air|<s>)))

I wrote it a long time ago and there are still some unexpected results, but it was still an enjoyable experience and well worth it once my PCs ventured into Cairhien.

dsmiles
2011-02-15, 06:38 PM
You do realize you could just say what the attack roll is, then let the player compare it to their AC, right? As for worrying about people cheating, if that is a worry you need a new group.
It's more fun to just say, "the goblin kicks you in the junk," rather than, "does a 27 hit?"
Also, it's actually more like reverse cheating that I actually have to worry about. Somebody's got fast healing or regeneration? They probably forgot. Somebody got a CLW? They probably forgot.

PetterTomBos
2011-02-16, 03:44 AM
Can I please get a copy of your personlity traits list?

It's from the 3,5 DMG, I'll check the page when I get home

PetterTomBos
2011-02-16, 01:10 PM
The table is on 3.5 DMG1 p128 :)

I would recommend this (rinkworks.com/namegen) website to anyone looking for fantasy names.

The default setting provides some very nice and original names, it may not fit the style of your campaign, however, which is why I suggest you try out writing custom templates, more information here (http://rinkworks.com/namegen/instr.shtml).

It is very simple once you understand the basics and most of the work is just adjusting probabilities of certain syllables.

Here is an example template I wrote for a Wheel of Time roleplaying game. In particular, this template was for Carheinen names:

I wrote it a long time ago and there are still some unexpected results, but it was still an enjoyable experience and well worth it once my PCs ventured into Cairhien.

Thanks for the page :)

Tyndmyr
2011-02-16, 03:57 PM
On both sides, horrifyingly evil random encounter, crit charts, and a random dungeon chart in which every entry is the tomb of horrors. Complain about how your printer keeps exposing your secrets.

randomhero00
2011-02-16, 04:03 PM
On front and back:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

A good idea, but I'd go a little creepier. Like:
"Do not go gentle into that good light
Rage, rage against the dying of the light"

And then maybe something like: your grave is dug, the earthen walls are muddy and slippery. You can't concentrate for all the bloodsucking insects feeding on you. The hole is so deep you barely see light. A delicate letter of rice paper floats down and reads "Welcome to your slow death."

valadil
2011-02-16, 04:08 PM
Don't just do names. Also include last names, town names, titles, and tavern names.

I also made an XP meter for my screen. It's an index card with a paper clip at the bottom. As the players gain XP I slide the clip to point at "This level rocks," "I'm bored, when's the next level," "Half-way there," "Almost there," and "Ding! New level."

randomhero00
2011-02-16, 04:14 PM
Don't just do names. Also include last names, town names, titles, and tavern names.

I also made an XP meter for my screen. It's an index card with a paper clip at the bottom. As the players gain XP I slide the clip to point at "This level rocks," "I'm bored, when's the next level," "Half-way there," "Almost there," and "Ding! New level."

a good tip if you want to make it more like WoW heh. In other words, it kinds of takes you out of the immersion.

Critical
2011-02-16, 06:25 PM
A good idea, but I'd go a little creepier. Like:
"Do not go gentle into that good light
Rage, rage against the dying of the light"

And then maybe something like: your grave is dug, the earthen walls are muddy and slippery. You can't concentrate for all the bloodsucking insects feeding on you. The hole is so deep you barely see light. A delicate letter of rice paper floats down and reads "Welcome to your slow death."

I think with that kind of approach you could just drop the DM screen and just kill the PCs. :smallbiggrin:

PetterTomBos
2011-02-18, 03:17 AM
Update! :D

I found some magnetic bookmark thingies and macguyere'd them to the screen! Now it is easy to hang stuff there :)

Printed out a big brawl-picture from the web, and some others, that I plan on laminating tomorrow. Got a table from here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm

With DC examples! Really handy :) Random personality traits, and thats it :) gonna make a list of names, but I wont laminate that one into the screen since, well, names get used..