PDA

View Full Version : V for Victory, of Course [3.5 Spellbook]

Temotei
2011-02-14, 06:28 PM
The Victory Pages
Brietta Galena once lead an attack against a fortress of three hundred with half that number in tow.

She once stormed a castle filled with dozens of ancient vampires with only forty following.

She's even brought a small town of thirty farmers armed with hoes against a group of archers numbering twice that many.

Brietta Galena leads outnumbered forces. Brietta Galena wins.

It's not just in the blade or the body or the mind or the soul. To find it, you have to survey all of these things--and more--time and time again. Of course, knowing where to stick a blade into a body so the mind and soul come pouring out with a heap of blood helps.

- Brietta Galena on victory

Brietta Galena was a commander of seemingly random, but always outnumbered, forces. She seemed to bounce around, following whatever army or group needed help in turning the tables against a stronger force. She never failed to turn.

Apparently, she had an admirer, as Galena herself didn't know the first thing about magic, though her effectiveness could fool anyone. The spells below attempt to emulate the warrior-commander's effective battle cries. It's said that they capture perhaps half of said power.

Discipline of the Lords
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Pal 3
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: The caster and all allies within a 25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels-burst radius centered on the caster
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

No fear, no death! This is the discipline of the lords. Show them!

Allies affected by this spell gain a +2 bonus on all Will saving throws in addition to a +4 bonus on saving throws against fear. Finally, this spell brings all training and experience to the forefront of subjects' minds, making chance a weaker decider of fate. Any natural 1 rolled in the duration is treated as a natural 2.

Finishing Touch
Level: Pal 2
Area: The caster and all allies within a 25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels-burst radius centered on the caster

No stopping now, men! Victory is near! Lay the finishing touch!

This spell grants great benefits for quickly finishing enemies off during a final push. Critical hit threat ranges increase by 1. In addition, critical hit multipliers increase by 1, from x2 to x3, x3 to x4, and x4 to x5. Finally, threatening a critical hit but not confirming allows subjects to deal double damage, regardless of immunity to critical hits.

Glory of Triumph
Level: Pal 1

The glory of triumph is ours! Bask in it, fellows.

This spell grants a +1 morale bonus to Will saving throws and skill checks for each enemy slain by any subject to all subjects while the spell is in effect and for one round after. This spell's bonus stacks with itself, though not with other morale bonuses to Will saves or skill checks.

Let It Flow
Level: Pal 2
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

Let your enemies' lifeblood flow! Let your lifeblood flow! Show our opponents what it means to be a true warrior! Let it flow!

This spell grants subjects the ability to act normally while their hit points are between 0 and -9. While their hit points are this low, the subjects gain a +2 bonus to attacks, damage, and combat maneuver checks, such as bull rush, grapple, and trip checks. However, blood flows more freely while under the effects of this spell, forcing subjects to take 2 damage per round they are not stabilized until death instead of 1 damage per round. Dismissing this spell early allows all living subjects to stabilize.

Moment of Glory
Level: Pal 4
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

This is your moment of glory! Make the gods proud!

This spell causes all allies within range to be greatly inspired for one round, granting them a +4 morale bonus to their attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and skill checks. As well, on one such roll, each subject may gain a +8 morale bonus instead of a +4 morale bonus.

Never Fall
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Pal 4
Area: The caster and all creatures within a 25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels-burst radius centered on the caster
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

We shall never give an inch! You shall taste our blades upon your tongues as they slice through the tender muscle and blood floods your throat! You shall fall! We, never!

This spell grants damage reduction 5/- to all allies within range, as well as 1d10+1 per caster level temporary hit points. Opponents within range succumb to fear, becoming shaken for the duration of the spell unless they succeed on a Will save.

smasher0404
2011-02-14, 06:43 PM
Let It Flow seems a little over power, if a cleric still has healing spells left the paladin casts this while the Cleric is at -1 and the cleric then self heals and possible heal everyone else.

Temotei
2011-02-14, 06:54 PM
Let It Flow seems a little over power, if a cleric still has healing spells left the paladin casts this while the Cleric is at -1 and the cleric then self heals and possible heal everyone else.

Lay on hands would work better for this, firstly. Secondly, if the cleric is healing in battle is your biggest worry with these, I think I've done well, considering in-battle healing is usually the worst option for a cleric.

Cieyrin
2011-02-16, 01:42 PM
I assume Glory of Triumph stacks with itself, right? I'm also not seeing much benefit except as perhaps a boost to an army that does a lot of Intimidates and being defensive against it themselves.

Temotei
2011-02-16, 11:54 PM
I assume Glory of Triumph stacks with itself, right? I'm also not seeing much benefit except as perhaps a boost to an army that does a lot of Intimidates and being defensive against it themselves.

I should reword that spell. Essentially, the bonus increases by one for every enemy slain. I need to say the bonus increases in order to allow it to stack with itself and I need to specify whether it affects the whole group or just the individual that defeated the enemy. I'm not sure which would be better, actually.

As for its benefit: It proves useful against enemy grease-casters or for tumblers, as well as against spells like confusion, song of discord, and some of the symbols. It's a little situational, but I think it's good enough to warrant a first-level spell.

Toptomcat
2011-02-17, 02:28 AM
Finally, threatening a critical hit but not confirming allows subjects to deal double damage.
Does this apply when critical hits are impossible to confirm, such as against a crit-immune enemy?

Also, Let It Flow's effects seem somewhat bloodthirsty for a vanilla paladin, being likely to lead to significantly increased friendly casualties.

Darth Stabber
2011-02-17, 03:23 PM
I like most of the spells better for bard. And Glory of Triumph is really lame, you could make it a cantrip for sor/wiz and cleric, and I still don't think I would prep it. The rest of the spells aren't bad, I just like them better on bard than pally.

And I would sooooooooo love a level 3 archivist to find a Scroll of Finishing Touch.

Cieyrin
2011-02-17, 03:30 PM
I should reword that spell. Essentially, the bonus increases by one for every enemy slain. I need to say the bonus increases in order to allow it to stack with itself and I need to specify whether it affects the whole group or just the individual that defeated the enemy. I'm not sure which would be better, actually.

As for its benefit: It proves useful against enemy grease-casters or for tumblers, as well as against spells like confusion, song of discord, and some of the symbols. It's a little situational, but I think it's good enough to warrant a first-level spell.

If you want it universally applicable, make each kill affect the group. As for the level, yeah, it fits 1st level, though I think it being the only 1st level spell for Pallys in the book delays being a Marshall-lite. Better to Battle Bless a Divine Favor on yourself and cut swaths through the enemy.

Does this apply when critical hits are impossible to confirm, such as against a crit-immune enemy?

It'd be a nice perk if it did, certainly.

Also, Let It Flow's effects seem somewhat bloodthirsty for a vanilla paladin, being likely to lead to significantly increased friendly casualties.

It's a last stand effect. If you're likely to die if you fall unconscious anyways, might as well make it count and die for your cause. At the very least, the bonii hopefully will count for something so that you do manage victory so somebody can stabilize your ass.

Speaking of stabilizing, it'd be nice if the spell was dismissible and had a stabilizing effect when it ended for those who survive. That's just my thoughts, though.

Temotei
2011-02-17, 05:24 PM
I like most of the spells better for bard. And Glory of Triumph is really lame, you could make it a cantrip for sor/wiz and cleric, and I still don't think I would prep it. The rest of the spells aren't bad, I just like them better on bard than pally.

Okay. :smalltongue:

If you want it universally applicable, make each kill affect the group.

Alright.

It'd be a nice perk if it did, certainly.

Good catch. Let's say it does. I'll edit it in.

It's a last stand effect. If you're likely to die if you fall unconscious anyways, might as well make it count and die for your cause. At the very least, the bonii hopefully will count for something so that you do manage victory so somebody can stabilize your ass.

Cieyrin's got it.

Speaking of stabilizing, it'd be nice if the spell was dismissible and had a stabilizing effect when it ended for those who survive. That's just my thoughts, though.

I like that. I'll add it in.