PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun combat confusion

Asmayus
2011-02-14, 07:37 PM
Hey folks,

I was looking for some clarification on doing damage in shadowrun.

Just want to make sure I've got this right:

1)
Say you've got a weapon that does 6 damage on Full auto.

2)
You attack Generic_Ork who's hiding in the corner, so you roll your weapon skill + associated attribute.

Generic_ork rolls his reaction attribute.

Once the sums are done, you've got 4 net hits (Your attack - his defence)

i.e. the attack hits him.

3)
To see how much you hurt him:

Net hits + your weapon damage = Damage done to Generic_Ork. (eg 10)

Generic_Ork rolls his armour + body attribute = damage resisted by Generic_Ork. (eg 7)

And the difference = amount of damage done. (eg 3)

4)
But the gun was on full auto, so you get a +9 damage to the attack after comparing damage done to damage resisted

So you end up doing 12 damage to Generic_ork.

Which kills him stone dead, in all likelihood.:smallbiggrin:

Do I have this right?

RandomLunatic
2011-02-14, 09:54 PM
Well, you have other modifiers to the attack and defense rolls (like the -9 recoil penalty from going full auto), and you add the +9 damage from FA during step 3 (making it possible to take no damage if he rolls really, really, well), not step four, but pretty much yeah.

You also need to check Power against AR during step 3 to determine if the dmage is stun or lethal.

Asmayus
2011-02-15, 09:40 AM
I see. Thank you for the reply!

The more I learn about combat in shadowrun, the scarier it gets :eek:

Seriously. My character is a tank and I'm not sure if he can take more than one bullet and live to tell the tale.

But having said that, part of me is enjoying the change from dnd's regular combat bouts that start with "ah sure, lets have at em!" to playing smart and thinking "Oh sugar. The guns are out." at the start of a fight:smallcool:

WalkingTarget
2011-02-15, 10:12 AM
Seriously. My character is a tank and I'm not sure if he can take more than one bullet and live to tell the tale.

Well, Shadowrun is one of those games where this is pretty much assumed. Getting hit by a bullet (or any weapon, really) is Bad News. This is to encourage the planning and sneaking around aspects of a run instead of just resorting to a frontal assault every time.

Edit - hell, the character I played with my old gaming crew was a drone Rigger who specialized in surveillance for the group - lots of little drones flitting around to keep an eye on things while I was under a blanket on the floorboard of my car several blocks away at minimum. Well away from any fighting.

Asmayus
2011-02-15, 10:21 AM
Yeah I've noticed. Unfortunately, the rest of the party still maintains a run'n'gun point of view.

Wish me luck :smallfrown::smalltongue:

Psyborg
2011-02-15, 10:23 AM
+1 to what Walking Target said. Getting shot at = you're screwed, good and proper.

And this is why actions per round is paramount for those actually doing their dirty deeds in person. You will get hit eventually, probably sooner than later, and when you get hit you will most likely either go down (if troll) or go down dead (if non-troll). Therefore, if you can't either disable everyone or get the hell out of there in one combat round, you're quite likely to be ghoul chow.

The above does not apply to runners with perfect intelligence and perfect planning who offer weekly metahuman sacrifices to Murphy.

It also does not apply to cheesed-out trolls who can soak hits from a tank main gun, or riggers who are thirty blocks away, and it generally only applies to mages if there are other mages around, assuming they have Chaotic World or Invisibility on their spell list. Either will mess up any attempt to chase them good and proper. (Sterilize is critical for ensuring they don't show up at your door in a couple days, but that's another "planning" aspect.)

And that's why Shadowrun is so much fun :smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2011-02-15, 10:52 AM
Yeah I've noticed. Unfortunately, the rest of the party still maintains a run'n'gun point of view.

Wish me luck :smallfrown::smalltongue:

I'm playing a hacker/rigger. I'm beginning to formulate plans which take advantage of the fact that the rest of the team likes to get shot at.