PDA

View Full Version : King of the Mountain - the Orcjaw II

Leewei
2011-02-14, 08:22 PM
Crossing the bitterly cold water, you pass an arc of white stalagmites rising from the water at fairly even intervals, eerily reminiscent of an orc's lower jaw. After several minutes, you find yourself at the top of a 10' sheer drop with water trickling down. You can stand or sit uncomfortably on the ledge over the seep. Below, a shallow stream runs down an enormously tall, narrow subterranean gorge. In the distance, occasional drips and splashes echo from what must be a large body of water.

Climb DC15 (natural wall, slippery, corner) to go up or down, or else simply drop for 1d6 damage (Jump or Tumble DC15 will negate this).

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-14, 08:35 PM
Jag

Jag gets ready to piggyback his friends down the gorge.

"Aight den boys, no playin' roun' dis time. Who needs a lift?"

--Lime--
2011-02-15, 04:35 AM
Learning from the last time, Balthazar grumbles:
"Let's get this over with then."

The hit to his dignity is less than the hit to his short shin-bones, and grumpily accepts the piggyback.

Werewhale
2011-02-15, 06:45 AM
Dal Ironvictor

"Aye, it would be rather more humiliating if we were all to break our legs here. Thank you, Jag, for your patience with us." Dal intones somberly, accepting a piggyback once it is his turn.

Leewei
2011-02-16, 12:03 PM
After Jag helps his companions down the seepfall, the dwarves tromp to the edge of a large, subterranean lake. Some blind cave fish are visible in the water, including some larger pike-sized varieties. As scarce as fish have become, this might be important.

All PCs roll Spot and Survival (WIS is untrained).

Werewhale
2011-02-16, 12:24 PM
Dal Ironfist

"Looks like we have solved our fish problem," muses Dal, bending down and peering into the water, "Or at least postponed it..."

Spot: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]

--Lime--
2011-02-16, 12:51 PM
"Ah've been belly-achin' for food a long time now. Good to know they're here."

Balthazar has a quick look around.
spot: [roll0]
listen: [roll1]

--Lime--
2011-02-16, 12:53 PM
Woo on those checks! Forgot survival though:[roll0]

--Lime--
2011-02-16, 06:53 PM
Balthazar appears suddenly unsettled.
"Lads, there's something out there. Looks like cinders or embers glowing orange; and the rooves of some sort of structures. Doesn't look dwarven to me. The glow's probably a torch in smoke. Whatever it is, be careful."

Werewhale
2011-02-16, 07:45 PM
Dal Ironvictor

"That's burning coke," explains Dal, also betraying a hint of unease, Not a foundry, we'd hear the hammering, so it's some sort of kiln or oven. But aye, we'll have to be careful. If there's something here with that sort of infrastructure and is not dwarven, we must hope it does not notice us."

Worlok
2011-02-17, 05:31 PM
Dakost contemplates the implications of nondwarven life in the depths: "Why, we certainly must take care, but I wonder - If there is other life down here, life which has not attacked our settlement yet, wouldn't it be righteous to try and extend our hand in friendship? After all, those are potential allies... And that may be their fish supply..."

--Lime--
2011-02-17, 05:44 PM
"I'm inclined to agree on principal," says Balthazar, "But if things turn nasty, they'd probably over-run us easily. We'd best go carefully - after all, if we don't go meet them, they might find out about us and not be so friendly. We've nothing to lose, but that's no call to throw caution to the wind"

Werewhale
2011-02-17, 05:53 PM
Dal Ironvictor
"We have nearly a hundred dwarves to lose. Not to mention our greater goal to return to our native halls and evict the goblins," says Dal, "And we still have found no trace of the Waterfinders. Let's move on."

He walks around the edge of the lake, looking for any sign of previous passage, any exits or a way across the lake.

Spot Check: [roll0]

Worlok
2011-02-17, 06:05 PM
"Still, if those are people who have lived here for a while, they might know about the waterfinders... And unless they're part of it, they may well be inclined to help us out against the goblin scourge. What to do, what to do...?" Dakost ponders on, not moving, but now taking the time to have a look-around himself.

Spot check: [roll0]
Survival check: [roll1]
And because nobles are just that special, a knowledge (dungeoneering) check to notice any additional details about the surroundings: [roll2]

Leewei
2011-02-17, 06:18 PM
All:Given the largely stone composition of the shoreline, I'll allow Stonecunning to apply to Search checks. Rather than making you roll, it'll become clear to all after a bit that some chains have obviously been dragged into the water to the West near the wall. Swimming this direction several hundred feet leads to a low jet mine with some picked-clean bone fragments and further signs of chains dragged into the mine.

A Heal (untrained Wisdom) check might reveal more regarding the bones.

Leewei
2011-02-21, 03:27 PM
All:If the group proceeds into the mine, I'll need a single file marching order. If not, you'll need to decide on how to proceed.

Werewhale
2011-02-21, 03:58 PM
Dal Ironvictor

Dal, self-sacrificing paladin that he is, will insist on being at the very front.

Heal Check on the bones: [roll0]

He turns to the others, "They're not dwarven, so that's good. But they are humanoid." He pauses for a moment, "Be on your guard," he adds and starts marching again.

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-21, 05:05 PM
Jagjag will go second

--Lime--
2011-02-21, 05:59 PM
As the weakest, Balthazar tags along naturally - a habit forged through years of doing so - at the rear.

Leewei
2011-02-21, 09:20 PM
All:Dakost is in 3rd place, then.The tunnel is small, crowded and very wet - nearly submerged in areas. After several dozens of paces, you come across a collapsed area - the roof here has clearly fell in from a chamber overhead. Once again, Jag hauls his fellows up the slippery mess and into a funerary chamber that has been carved out of jet.

Map:
--ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
01 ╔═════╗
02 ║█....║
03 ║.....║
04 ║.....║
05 ╩══□══╩

The carved niches where dead dwarves were once interred have clearly been disturbed.

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-22, 01:53 PM
Jag

Jag looks around carefully.

Take 20 on Search = 21

Leewei
2011-02-22, 02:09 PM
Jag:The door has clearly been opened and closed recently, at least a few times. Ruined funerary garb and some apparently worthless gem fragments are in the niches.

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-22, 02:30 PM
Jag

Jag opens the door.

Werewhale
2011-02-22, 02:31 PM
Dal Ironvictor

"Sacrilege!" hisses Dal and mutters a prayer to Moradin at the sight of the disturbed graves.

--Lime--
2011-02-22, 02:49 PM
Balthazar looks around, hands resting warily on his pick

Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]

Leewei
2011-02-23, 06:37 AM
It seems that you've found the fate of the Waterfinders. Four recently reanimated skeletons flank the North doors. The bloodied bones are recognizably dwarven. They are wearing chain shirts and wielding dwarven waraxes. The figures face the double doors to the North and do not respond to your presence ...for now.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBB
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFG
01 ╔═════╗
02 ║█....║
03 ║.....║
04╔═□□═╗ ║.....║
05║s..s╚═╩═□═╩══════╩══□══╩══════╗
06║.ss...........................║
07║..............................║
08║....╔═╦═□═╦═══════════════╦══□╩═╗
09╚═□□═╝

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-23, 02:37 PM
Jag

Jag whispers to the others, "We gun try ta bushwhack 'em, or we gun try to let them come ta us? 'Tis a fair fight uhcept dat dey's armed and armored and alreddy dead.. and we ain't."

Worlok
2011-02-23, 05:23 PM
"What is this? First disturbed graves and now the walking dead? Righteously onward and smash them, I say!" Dakost exclaims, if thankfully not very loud, shaking a fist in the general direction of the skeletons. "Are you with me, men?" he asks the others, apparently ready to charge.

So... Do I have that chainmail and club?

Werewhale
2011-02-23, 05:31 PM
Dal Ironvictor

"It would be wiser to lure them here into the doorway were only one of them can attack at once," says Dal, "They do have armor and proper weapons whereas we do not."

Leewei
2011-02-23, 05:35 PM
So... Do I have that chainmail and club?

You do, indeed.

--Lime--
2011-02-23, 05:49 PM
"Look, why don't we just carry on to the South," says Balthazar, "If we find that there's something worthwhile down here, we can come back with reinforcements. If we find nothing of interest, we can avoid the risk altogether."

He scratches his beard, embarrasedly, almost as if to check that there is still hair on his chin. But he feels rather vulnerable standing there without armour, and is sure that avoidance is the best policy - or that if they must, fighting one at a time coming through a doorway is a better bet.

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-23, 07:50 PM
Jag

Jag looks at Balthazar with a sour disapproving frown.

"Ahm gun forgestomp me sum skellytons. Dem axes will look a whole might better on us den dem bags'o'bones."

He pauses for a moment, thinking hard (which was uncommon for Jag).

"An' if dem folk were da WaterFinders, we's owe it to dem to put der souls ta rest, and avenge us some whoopass on what turnt dem all grave-walkin' like dat. Ain't dwarfly ta leave our saviors all eternal-sufferin' and whatnot."

Werewhale
2011-02-23, 07:56 PM
Dal Ironvictor

"Aye, we're not leaving them like that. Everyone get ready to greet them," says Dal and then taps his pick on the doorway loudly, hoping to get the skeletons to investigate.

--Lime--
2011-02-23, 08:25 PM
"Alright, alright," says Balthazar, secretly pleased that he is able to uphold his honour. This way he's got an excuse to do the illogical.

Readying his pick, he takes up a position ready to flank beside the doorway.

AU 04 if we're still in that room.

Leewei
2011-02-23, 09:42 PM
The loud, ringing noise draws no response from the skeletons.

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-24, 05:46 PM
Jag

Jag looks around for something to throw at the skeletons. Preferably something that would actually hurt them.

Leewei
2011-02-25, 12:02 PM
Subconsciously wiping jet-grimed hands on his tattered rags, a vicious smile starts to play across Jag's broad face. Moving back to the collapsed area, he takes only a moment to pick out and heft a fist-sized chunk of stone suitable for throwing (no attack penalty, 1d3+STR damage, range increment 10').Others can follow Jag's lead. You may also create slings using your tattered garments with a few minutes and a DC10 Craft (Weaponcrafting) check.

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-25, 01:45 PM
Jag

Jag tries to make a sling.

[roll0]. No ranks in weaponcrafting, but would my ranks in Leatherworking be apropos?

Leewei
2011-02-25, 01:50 PM
That'll work. Regardless, with that roll, you have a sling.

Jag fashions and loads a crude sling.

Werewhale
2011-02-25, 03:51 PM
Dal Ironvictor

"Good idea, Jag," says Dal, watching his handiwork and copying him, "I can make for the rest of you as well. If we all step out with a loaded sling in one hand and pick in the other we should be able to get a volley in at the skeletons without being disadvantaged if they close in on us."

Myth-weavers is down, so I don't know Dal's weaponcrafting bonus, but can I take 10, since it's a trained skill?

Leewei
2011-02-25, 04:30 PM
Dal:Sure. Being immune to fear, you don't find your current situation to be particularly threatening nor distracting.

--Lime--
2011-02-26, 06:39 AM
Balthazar tears off his left sleeve and hands it to Dal to make into a sling

Leewei
2011-02-27, 12:42 AM
The amount of material needed for a sling would normally reduce you to wearing just your beard. Fortunately, the chain shirt includes various other pieces that will keep a decent dwarf modest.

Werewhale
2011-02-27, 07:21 AM
Dal Ironvictor

"Well then!" says Dal, "There's room for us to stand two abreast in the hall, so we'll all go out, the two in front will shoot first and retreat into this room, then the two in the back shoot and come here as well. Then we fight them as they come through the doorway. All right?"

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-27, 11:36 AM
Jag

"Ayup. Sound good. Guessin' deems dat shoot first should be da ones in da back when the upnyerface fightin' start?"

--Lime--
2011-02-28, 04:54 AM
Once again, Baltazar wants to be at the back.

"I'll get off one of the second shots. Wanna be able to team up with one of yous opposite me as they come through the door. When you run in, leave me a spot to the left or right."

Werewhale
2011-02-28, 10:29 AM
Dal Ironvictor

"All right then. I'll take second shot with Balthazar in case the skeletons close faster than we expect. Balthazar, you'll be closer to the door. Dakost and Jag, you're in front. Let's go!"

Dal loads his sling and moves to W7.

--Lime--
2011-02-28, 11:47 AM
"Surely we're standing a little closer than that?" asks Balthazar, moving to AU6. "Not sure I could hit anything from that far away!"

Werewhale
2011-02-28, 12:30 PM
Dal Ironvictor

"Very well, but no closer than this," says Dal, moving up beside Balthazar, "We want enough time to get back through the door, after all."

((Moving to AU7))

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-28, 02:55 PM
Jag

Jag moves to his position and readies his sling, waiting for Dakost to join him.

Move to AT07.

Worlok
2011-03-03, 10:46 PM
Dakost proceeds towards AT08, following Jag. "Frontline combat with a club. Such is righteous!" Dakost mumbles, cheerily, as he makes some testing swings with his weaponry. "Would have preferred a hammer, but still, skullcracking's skullcracking!"

Leewei
2011-03-03, 11:47 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBB
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFG
01 ╔═════╗
02 ║█....║
03 ║.....║
04╔═□□═╗ ║.....║
05║s..s╚═╩═□═╩══════╩══□══╩══════╗
06║.ss...............KB..........║
07║..................JD..........║
08║....╔═╦═□═╦═══════════════╦══□╩═╗
09╚═□□═╝
B=Balthazar
K=Dakost
J=Jag
D=Dal

OOC: Worlok, I assume you meant AT06 since AT08 is wall. If not, PM me. One of you may attack; afterwards, roll initiative. Here's the skeletons' roll: [roll0]

The dwarves stand, slings ready.

--Lime--
2011-03-04, 05:40 AM
"I'll give it a try," says Balthazar, and tosses a stone up and down in his hand, before sending it flying towards the skeleton in AD6

So, I make that 85 feet, so -2 on attack (1 increment), using stones another -1 on attack, so my total bonus is +1 from +4.

[roll0]
Damage is 1 category smaller so [roll1]

Leewei
2011-03-04, 09:06 AM
The stone finds its mark, cracking the skull on Balthazar's target. The skeletons react immediately, moving toward the dwarves.

Solid hit, but didn't kill it. Roll initiative, fellas.

Werewhale
2011-03-04, 10:25 AM
Dal Ironfist

Initiative:[roll0]

peterpaulrubens
2011-03-04, 03:12 PM
Jag

Initiative: [roll0]

Worlok
2011-03-04, 08:46 PM
"Nice hit, Balthazar! Now give 'em hell, lads!" Dakost shouts, curiously enough not using the word "righteous" this time, as he gleefully braces himself for engagement.

Oh, my bad. Yes, I meant AT06. I must have misread that somehow. :smallredface:

I had asked earlier whether or not it would be alright to change Dakost's first level feat choice (Improved Initiative) to Endurance retroactively and not received a reply yet - which may, of course, be my mistake/oversight. In any case, should you insist on me sticking to Impr. Init., please add four to the result of this roll:

Initiative: [roll0] - Whoo! Nat-20! Who's da noble? :smallbiggrin:

--Lime--
2011-03-06, 02:47 PM
Balthazar glances nervously at the door as the skull turns to face him, vertebrae cracking ominously as it does so.

I've kind of forgotten how surprise rounds work. If this roll is irrelevant, ignore it.
Initiative: [roll0]

peterpaulrubens
2011-03-08, 02:18 PM
Jag

Jag fires at the nearest skeleton, then drops the sling and grips his club in both hands.

To-hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Sorry guys, my bad, I hadn't realized Leewei had posted the skelly's initiative roll.

Leewei
2011-03-08, 03:14 PM
Jag's target crumples into the ground.

Leewei
2011-03-12, 11:37 PM
Dakost braces himself for the onslaught, club in hand.Ready an action to attack defensively when a skeleton is adjacent.

The skeletons charge into the fray!All advance, ending in AJ06, AK06 and AL06.

Werewhale
2011-03-13, 06:14 AM
Dal Ironvictor

With the other dwarves ignoring the plan anyway, Dal decides to do the same. Maybe the skeletons weren't so tough anyway, with one down already. He stays in place, sling and pick at the ready.

Ready action to shoot any skeleton as soon as he gets a clear line of sight.

peterpaulrubens
2011-03-13, 11:33 AM
Jag

Jag holds his ground, ready to strike when the skeletons come in reach.

Ready an action to attack when a skeleton is within range.

Leewei
2011-03-15, 06:21 AM
OOC: Waiting on Worlok and --Lime--. The skeletons move only 20', so it'll be one more round before they arrive. Feel free to fire away, Werewhale.

Werewhale
2011-03-15, 08:19 AM
Dal Ironvictor

Dal spins his sling and looses a mighty shot at the skeletons!

Didn't think I could shoot past Jag. Well then, shooting the nearest skellie!
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Leewei
2011-03-18, 05:36 PM
The shot unfortunately bounces off the chainmail of Dal's target.