PDA

View Full Version : Psion Template (3.5)

goken04
2011-02-14, 08:29 PM
Hi! I'm a DM giving Templates to my party members as treasure and I can't think of a good one for my party's Psion (Shaper) Kobold. Any source, whether Wizards, Third Party, or Homebrew would be groovy and somewhere between the LA 1-3 range would be perfect, although I can work with anything. I'm modifying some existing ones for my party as-is (The Paladin is getting the Saint template, the Lizardfolk DFA is getting a Half-Dragon template, and the Mystic Ninja is getting the Dark template), but I can't come up with a good one for the Psion. They just didn't get a lot of love in the official rulebooks. Anyone have any suggestions?

LOTRfan
2011-02-14, 08:31 PM
Have you seen the LA +2 Phrenic template? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm)

It gives you a bunch of psi-like abilities, and you gain more power as you level up.

It doesn't exactly increase your manifesting ability, but its pretty cool, in my opinion.

Prime32
2011-02-14, 08:40 PM
This may be of interest to you
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7044

Half-dragon will most likely weaken the DFA - Draconic and/or dragonborn would be preferable. If you do grant it, at least make the breath weapon usable 1/1d4 rounds.

goken04
2011-02-14, 08:42 PM
Well, not increasing manifesting ability is good, because it might be overpowering in the team otherwise.

I like the template and may very well use it. But perhaps something with a little more flavor? I plan on these Templates being applied by a use of a magic belt that functions for 5/rounds once every 3 Days (Initially, it will become more powerful as they level), so I'm not sure about having so many 1/day abilities that would go unused. I'm still open to suggestions!

goken04
2011-02-14, 08:46 PM
This may be of interest to you
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7044

That is handy! Thanks! I'm adjusting the templates I'm using so they all give a +4 to the player's key ability score and a +2 to two others, so i'm not sure exactly how accurate its ratings of the Templates I'm using will be, but I'm def. shooting for Tier 2 and I'm not going to make the players work off the LA (and we don't use EXP) so I'm looking more to balance the templates against each other than their LA, but still. Good find!

Last Laugh
2011-02-14, 09:47 PM
That is handy! Thanks! I'm adjusting the templates I'm using so they all give a +4 to the player's key ability score and a +2 to two others, so i'm not sure exactly how accurate its ratings of the Templates I'm using will be, but I'm def. shooting for Tier 2 and I'm not going to make the players work off the LA (and we don't use EXP) so I'm looking more to balance the templates against each other than their LA, but still. Good find!

Be careful, because the Saint has a little more going for it than a lot of other templates. Like Dark or Draconic, IMO.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-14, 09:57 PM
a Phrenic Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold should be able to compete well with any character in that group with ease

Coidzor
2011-02-14, 11:29 PM
Mystic Ninja?

goken04
2011-02-14, 11:58 PM
Mystic Ninja?

It's a Ninja from Complete Adventurer with Bardic spell-casting and a unique spell list (combined from the bard, assassin, and beguiler lists). It makes it not suck.