PDA

View Full Version : So how do I tell if I cooked my CPU?

Bhu
2011-02-14, 11:04 PM
My CPU fan has been failing, and I thought I had it fixed last night. Today it stopped entirely. I'm using a program called SpeedFan to check on speed/temp, but today it said my CPU was at 92c. It also says it may not display properly if using Nvidia (which I am), and says Temp3 is -128c...

The fan is replaced, the PC has been on 3 hours with no problems other than starting slow. So how do I tell if I've done bad things?

Vaynor
2011-02-14, 11:07 PM
If it's still pink inside, it could probably use some more time in the oven.

Cealocanth
2011-02-14, 11:29 PM
My CPU fan has been failing, and I thought I had it fixed last night. Today it stopped entirely. I'm using a program called SpeedFan to check on speed/temp, but today it said my CPU was at 92c. It also says it may not display properly if using Nvidia (which I am), and says Temp3 is -128c...

The fan is replaced, the PC has been on 3 hours with no problems other than starting slow. So how do I tell if I've done bad things?

If your computer repeatedly refuses to turn on or run anything, give it time to rest. A good 24 hours in a lukewarm environment away from any water source should do. If you're still experiencing the same problems associated with overheating, then feel free to open it up and take a good look at the memory card and other devices. If your cooling system has failed as much as it may have, you will see melted metal solidified where it's not supposed to be.

Bhu
2011-02-14, 11:57 PM
Its running now thats how i posted. I had micro center replace the fan/heatsink. I just worried cause I downloaded a program called SpeedFan to test the cpu temperature/fan speed. Last night it said the CPU was at 85c, and today it said 92c. But it also said Temp3 was -128c. Apparently it has display errors if you use Nvidia, which I do. Micro center didn't mention melted metal, but it starts darn slow.

RS14
2011-02-15, 01:28 AM
Its running now thats how i posted. I had micro center replace the fan/heatsink. I just worried cause I downloaded a program called SpeedFan to test the cpu temperature/fan speed. Last night it said the CPU was at 85c, and today it said 92c. But it also said Temp3 was -128c. Apparently it has display errors if you use Nvidia, which I do. Micro center didn't mention melted metal, but it starts darn slow.

I don't really know what temperatures are typical, but this (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm) seems to suggest that 92c isn't anything alarming. I have no idea if it is accurate, though.

There probably isn't a 3rd temperature sensor, and thus that value defaults to the minimum in a signed 8 bit integer. I would not take that to mean the other values are false.

It runs, therefor it didn't melt. If it shuts down spontaneously, it suggests that it is overheating and turning off to protect itself.

You might try this (http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html) to see if heat is causing any errors.

Bhu
2011-02-15, 01:43 AM
I have a 3 ghz AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core, which that list says has an average temp of 65-70c :smallfrown:

I'll try the program and see what it says.

factotum
2011-02-15, 02:27 AM
There is only one temperature sensor in an Athlon CPU (unlike Intel Core 2s and later, which have one per core) so the only temperature you need to worry about is the CPU one. The others are from temperature sensors on the motherboard, and the -128 is presumably from a sensor that Speedfan thinks is there but actually isn't, thus giving a bad reading.

If you HAD cooked your CPU (which is actually pretty difficult, because modern CPUs automatically throttle themselves to prevent damage if they start to get hot) then it would no longer be running stable. Since it IS running stable, it's fine and there's little point in worrying about it. If you're that desperate to prove it you could run Prime95 for a few hours to make sure of the stability, but it really doesn't sound like you have much to worry about to me!

Bhu
2011-02-15, 02:31 AM
i just worry cause it takes forever to start now. It's literally 3 times as long to start fully.

Icewalker
2011-02-15, 02:48 AM
Throw it at the ceiling: if it sticks, it's done.

Sorry.

...I don't actually know anything on the subject to contribute with either. Does seem odd to me though that it would slow down startup time.

Roc Ness
2011-02-15, 03:09 AM
Ooh! I have this problem, sort of. My fan didn't actually fail, it was bad to begin with. :smallfrown:

So anyhow, when I run programs that are taxing on the CPU (makes it hot) my computer just goes kaput: It just auto shuts entirely. Sometimes it turns back on right after, sometime I can turn it on later, sometime it refuses to turn on for a good 24 hours.

So, what my family and I did to it was:

1) Replace the graphics card (we were told it was part of the problem, don't know how.)
2) Replace the fan.
3) Clean the inside of the thing as best and as carefully as we could.
4) Take it out from under the desk, and use an electric fan from outside to increase air circulation and help cool the thing down.

I'm not sure which of these solved the problem, but one or more of them did and my computer runs fine. Running the programs that used to turn it off just makes it lag a bit, nothing else. :smallbiggrin:

Although since its the Australian Summer here (and my little brother got new games and plays them constantly despite of the lag), its started turning off again. I'm hoping there isn't any lasting damage every time it turns off, although I'm uncertain.

KuReshtin
2011-02-15, 05:31 AM
As RS14 said, if you computer runs at all, the CPU isn't cooked.
It may run slower because it doesn't get the cooling it requires and therefore clocks itself down to a slower speed.
Make sure that the CPU fan seated properly and has proper contact to the CPU to be able to dissipate the heat from it.

When I replaced my CPU fan, it didn't have the proper connection to start with, and the temperature of the CPU started rising quite a bit until I just pushed the fan down on the CPU a bit more.
I was in the BIOS at the time and saw the temperature visibly lower from about 95-97 degrees down to somewhere around 55-60 in a matter of about 15 seconds.

Phishfood
2011-02-15, 07:13 AM
3) Clean the inside of the thing as best and as carefully as we could.

This is a damn important thing to do, something that is neglected by most people because they have never been told. Should clean out your PC every few months to stop dust accumulating, it clogs heatsinks, breaks fans and is generally disgusting.

Best bet is to use canned air or a hand pump or something, blowing introduces too much moisture and vacuums can loosen components on the board.

Other causes of going slow include a messy hard disk, delete stuff so at least 20% free space is available then run something like diskkeeper see if it improves.

Also uninstall things that are running at startup that you don't need.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-15, 07:17 AM
If the magic blue smoke escapes, the chip doesn't work any more.:smalltongue:

Rawhide
2011-02-15, 07:18 AM
If it's still pink inside, it could probably use some more time in the oven.

Please, give some useful advice...

If he has cooked any of his chips, they would turn from white to a golden brown colour. When that happens, they go well with flake or barramundi.

Serpentine
2011-02-15, 07:23 AM
When that happens, they go well with flake or barramundi.If you can, you should try to find out where the flake's from. There's a lot of endangered sharks in the world, and a lot of not very scrupulous people.

Obrysii
2011-02-15, 12:20 PM
Make sure to check the GPU (video card)'s fan, too. If the video card is over heating it can cause major issues with Windows, including (surprisingly) increased boot times.

But yes - your CPU should be cooler; you probably have too small of a fan, or the case's intakes are clogged.

Bhu
2011-02-15, 02:56 PM
Peeking at speedfan again it says:

GPU: 43c

Temp1: 30c

Temp2: 23c

Temp3: -128c

HD0: 32c

Core: 28c

Core: 43c

Ambient: 0c

It only shows 3 fans running and I know i have at least 4, but ones the power supply so it may not be reading it.

Obrysii
2011-02-16, 04:08 PM
Those temperatures are all normal, and actually the GPU is lower than typical.

In Speedfan, there's a hard drive tab that will show your SMART data - click on the "in depth" button there (I forget what it's called). Anything out of the normal?

Bhu
2011-02-16, 05:26 PM
Not really sure what I'd be looking for. In the status tab it says 'no error'. My video card used to be at 92c, same as hard drive

grimbold
2011-02-17, 11:24 AM
be happy that it isnt smoking
when i was first getting into computers my dad was like
'have a go at our 1998 dell' and i was all like 'okay'
at first when i turned it on the hard drive started to smoke

as for you check your memory

Rockphed
2011-02-17, 12:57 PM
If the magic blue smoke escapes, the chip doesn't work any more.:smalltongue:

As my professors always say, "If anybody found a way to put the magic smoke back in the components, they would become VERY rich."

Please, give some useful advice...

If he has cooked any of his chips, they would turn from white to a golden brown colour. When that happens, they go well with flake or barramundi.

Now I am hungry for fish, which never happens with me. I wonder if there are any good fish and chips places near here. What should I look for in a good one?

Moofaa
2011-02-18, 04:07 PM
Not really sure what I'd be looking for. In the status tab it says 'no error'. My video card used to be at 92c, same as hard drive

Depending on the videocard 92c could be normal when under load. The 40c you report is pretty good and I assume an idle temperature. I'd see what the temperatures are after an hour of intense gaming. My old 8800GTX ran at 92c, of course it died after 5 years but I game for 6-12 hours a day (sometimes longer and on occasion not at all, jobs suck)

If your system is still shutting down when running intense applications, I would check into the power supply. (incidentally most power supply fans don't report to the computer their RPMs)

Miklus
2011-02-18, 04:55 PM

If you had cooked your CPU, your 'puter would not be working at all. One thing to look for is if your computer freezes up repeatedly. Then you will have to replace the CPU and maybe the motherboard.

Sophistemon
2011-02-18, 05:02 PM
Since we're on the topic of overheating, I'm currently in the market for a laptop chill pad.
Would anyone be so kind as to offer suggestions?
Amazon.com's got plenty to choose one, but I can't make a decision.

Bhu
2011-02-18, 06:53 PM
It hasnt frozen up yet, its just slow starting/shutting off.

Thanks much guys. Hoping I can relax a little now.