PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors: Help Decode Acererak's Poems?

DMOffgood
2011-02-15, 12:06 AM
I'm doing a personalized version of Tomb Of Horrors for my gaming group - I've read the 3.5 conversions, the original Gygax S1, and just about every web article and forum thread I could find on the subject.

What I'd like is for someone to please give me a clear interpretation of the Demi-Lich's poem of hints. I am considering revisions for my group, but by no means want to spoon-feed them. Frankly though I am a bit confused myself on some of the details. A lot are clear cut, but others, especially regarding color - leave me confused a bit.

Since these poems are the party's only hope I would like the clues to be able to give them a fighting chance, especially if they are thoughtful. Knowing I have a smart group, I'd hate to see them agonize over decrypting the poem only to feel that perhaps it was never very helpful at all.

Yes, that's a Demi-Lich's sense of humor for you, but honestly in such a brutal trap fest I'd like them to have at least a bit of satisfaction, especially for a thoughtfully played game.

No where online have I seen anyone attempt to interpret the clues of the poem. I'm looking to you, fellow dungeon masters, to show me the light!

BELOW IS THE POEM and my thoughts on each line thus far. I'll put the poem in its entirety at the end for easy cuttin & pastin'. Thanks to all who participate......

Go back through the tormentor or through the arch,
And the second great hall you'll discover.

(Seems to indicate that the concealed door behind the fresco of the torture chamber painting (3A) and the arch at the end of the hall (5) both eventually lead the party to the Hall of Spheres (10))

Shun Green if you can, but night's good color is for those of great valor.

(Everyone universally feels this means to avoid the green demon faces (6), the "if you can" implying that they might be difficult to avoid by somehow pulling you in. But what about 'night's good color?' Is that meant to be blue or black? BLUE is indicated on the arch, and I would think that the coded sequence to imply night would be YELLOW (day) followed by ORANGE (dusk) and then BLUE (night). But unfortunately the module says the sequence is YELLOW-BLUE-ORANGE, which is seemingly only reached by trial and error and has no interpretable pattern. Other relevant 'Night" colors in the module are the Bright Blue sphere in (10) (which in 3.5 hides a domination attempt by a disembodied brain) and the Black Sphere which leads to the Chapel of Evil (14).

If shades of red stand for blood, the wise will not need sacrifice aught but a loop of magical metal - you're well along your march.

'Shades of Red' seem to imply both the red runes on the floor in the Entry Hall (3) and the Red Sphere in the Hall of Spheres (10). A party first reading this would no doubt become obsessed with the first red thing they see, which is the runes in the floor, that lead them to the first Arch (5) and the first Green Devil (6). I presume this line actually refers to the Chamber of Three Chests (13), which is reached by entering the Red Sphere in (10) and contains nothing but horrors and one lame treasure, a magic ring of +1 protection. So clearly the wise should know that they are well along their march and that by avoiding the red sphere they will sacrifice nothing but a lame ring. ...uh, right? Ironically, sacrificing a ring is also how the Slotted Secret Door in the Chapel is opened (6C). But whatever.

Two pits along the way will be found to lead to a fortuitous fall, so check the wall.

The first easy one, two of the many pits in the tomb can be fortunate to fall into, since checking the wall carefully will reveal secret passages in two of them.

These keys and those are most important of all,

Just flavor text - despite their being keys to find?

and beware of trembling hands and what will maul.

Beware the effects of the fearsome corridor (18) of and the Gargoyle?

If you find the false you find the true
and into the columed hall you'll come,

I guess this refers to the false door at 23A which leads (eventually) into the real crypt (as opposed to the false one (18A). But since there are other false doors in the crypt this kind of seems misleading.

and there the throne that's key and keyed.

The Throne Room (25) has a key hidden in the throne and can be 'keyed' itself to open and reveal a secret passage to the true crypt?

The iron men of visage grim do more than meet the viewer's eye.

Is this the iron statues in the false treasure room (30)? Is this just saying they have a hidden purpose and need to be pushed?

You've left and found my tomb and now your soul will die.

Just some scary flavor text about finally finding his tomb and that he's able to attack your very soul....

Anyway, I'd love some feedback because I'm disturbingly unsure of the poem's true meaning in all cases and think as DM I should try having a firmer grasp. I hesitate to modify Gygax's original funhouse and I want my group to go through trial and error and a thoughtful process but I also think if they are made to feel that even the clues don't matter, they will lose heart and ultimately interest, despite my best efforts to provide mood, enthusiasm and encouragement.

I also could use some help with the message on the Gargoyle's collar:

Look low and high for gold to hear a tale untold, The archway at the end, and on your way you'll wend.

It seems to simply be a clue to the proper rune code for the arch at the end of the entry hall (5), especially considering that anyone who reached the gargoyle room probably used the "tormentor" route instead of the arch to reach the second hallway. And yet, I don't see how 'low and high for gold' has anything to do with the arch, or what the meaning of 'a tale untold' is. I'm aware there is a golden step in the staircase in the Wondrous Foyer (28), a gold sphere held 'high' in the Hall of Spheres (10) that leads to The Three-Armed Statue (11) where the party can obtain a gem of seeing.

I'd be very appreciative of thoughtful feedback. The full poem again:

Go back to the tormentor or though the arch,and the second great hall you'll discover.

Shun green if you can, but night's good color is for those of great valor.

If shades of red stand for blood the wise will not need sacrifice aught but a loop of magical metal - you're well along your march.

Two pits along the way will be found to lead to a fortuitous fall, so check the wall.

If you find the false you find the true and into the columned hall you'll come, and there the throne that's key and keyed.

You've left and found my Tomb and now your soul will die.

Look low and high for gold to hear a tale untold, The archway at the end, and on your way you'll wend.

Aidan305
2011-02-15, 05:22 AM
The two keys is probably a reference to the crown and scepter, at least, I've always taken it as such.

joe
2011-02-15, 05:39 AM
Go back to the tormentor or though the arch,and the second great hall you'll discover.

You've pretty much got this one figured.

Shun green if you can, but night's good color is for those of great valor.

I figure "Night" here refers to the Black Sphere, which leads into the Alter Room (14).

If shades of red stand for blood the wise will not need sacrifice aught but a loop of magical metal - you're well along your march.

Likewise to the Night, the Red here would refer to the Red Sphere, which leads to the room with three chests. I figure the "stand for blood" reflects that adventurers will likely be damaged by the chests. The sacrifice the loop of magical metal very specifically refers to the doorway at 14C, which "the wise" would only need to sacrifice a +1 Ring of Protection, instead of one of their more useful rings.

This one is tricky, because the "fortuitous fall" is located immediately after the first two pits, so it's technically the third pit and not the first two. If you fall into the third pit, there is a secret passage located within it.

Without both keys, located in (19) and (28), it will be impossible to get into Acererak's Crypt. (33)

I never understood the trembling hands part before now, but I think you're right about the corridor (18). What will maul is definitely the Juggernaut at (23A).

If you find the false you find the true and into the columned hall you'll come,

I'm with you on this line being misleading. But yea, it probably refers to 23A. It's probably also there to encourage adventurers who stumble upon the false crypt to keep going.

and there the throne that's key and keyed.

The throne is the key to getting to the next room, but it is also keyed in the sense that you need to touch the scepter to it to get it to move. The scepter is furthermore the key in room (29)

I'm certain that this line is meant to install fear into adventurers. While it basically just means that the statue needs moved, most characters, rightly paranoid by this point, will likely interpret this as the statues are iron golems ready to attack. They radiate magic and evil, and look fierce and poised to strike, so these fears would not be unfounded.

You've left and left and found my Tomb and now your soul will die.

Entering from the statue room, you make a left, and at the right turn, you make an immediate left through the secret door. This is actually important because if they go right instead and go too far, they'll walk through a one way door and have to deal with the juggernaut and pillar room all over again.

Your soul dying should simply be an indicator of what you're about to face, and it's right. Acererak owns your soul and plans to devour it.

Those are my interpretations of the text anyhow. I hope that was helpful. ^_^

DMOffgood
2011-02-24, 07:11 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time, I appreciate the thoughtful replies
dmo