PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Enhancements

TechnOkami
2011-02-15, 12:24 AM
Because I've restarted my character, my GM allowed me to come into the game with a set amount of money for me to spend as I see fit. I want to buff this scythe I bought. What are the best weapon enhancements (ex: dancing, vorpal, ect.) in all of D&D 3.5?

Saintheart
2011-02-15, 12:32 AM
Any enhancement that gets you [force] damage. Mostly because most monsters aren't immune to it.

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-15, 12:57 AM
The scythe is probably my favorite weapon in the SRD. Just dripping with flavor.

What are you trying to do with it, though? A cleric using a scythe is a very different beast than a bloodstorm blade using one, and they'd likely want different enhancements. Do you have a build in mind?

TechnOkami
2011-02-15, 01:08 AM
Well... it's not just any scythe... its the Talenta Sarrash scythe in the Ebberon Campaign Setting. I know it was hammered with the nerf-bat, but my GM has allowed me to keep its original stats.

As per who its going to: an Illithid Swordsage. I'm not sure if I want to go into the Erudite class and then this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107034) PrC, but I definitely want to become a Swordsage.

(...I didn't just kill the discussion, did I?)

Keld Denar
2011-02-15, 02:05 AM
Mindfeeder (MIC). I'm playing that PrC right now, and I have a +1 Mindfeeder Falchion. With Imp Critical, I crit on a 15+, and every crit gives a ton of bonus PP that I use with Dimension Hop to skip around the battlefield and channel Dispel Psionics into my foes. Its pretty sweet.

Other than that, Collision (MIC) is pretty badass. Its static damage, so it multiplies on a crit. Its not energy damage, so if you're already overcoming DR through shear force, you don't have to worry about it being resisted.

Barring that, Wounding is an old favorite of mine. You can never deal too much Con damage to people. Every second hit equates to a free loss of 1xHD worth of HP. Thats potentially a huge loss. Doesn't work on some things, but the things it works on...ouch!

JaronK
2011-02-15, 07:11 AM
For true power, you'll need to be undead or a construct, then enchant it as a Lifedrinker (DMG special weapon, MiC lets them be any base weapon type) and now it does two negative levels with every hit. Now add in Keen and Enfeebling so it debuffs people like crazy when it hits.

If you want to go crazy, there's always the Aptitude enchantment along with the Lightning Mace and Roundabout Kick feats... and they work so well with Blood in the Water, which you have anyway!

JaronK

Greenish
2011-02-15, 11:39 AM
Well... it's not just any scythe... its the Talenta Sarrash scythe in the Ebberon Campaign Setting. I know it was hammered with the nerf-bat, but my GM has allowed me to keep its original stats.At 19-20/x4, you might want Keen on it.

lesser_minion
2011-02-15, 12:30 PM
For true power, you'll need to be undead or a construct, then enchant it as a Lifedrinker (DMG special weapon, MiC lets them be any base weapon type) and now it does two negative levels with every hit. Now add in Keen and Enfeebling so it debuffs people like crazy when it hits.

If you want to keep your con score, you can also do this using Pauldrons of Health from Magic of Incarnum. You'd need to take two or three feats, or be an Incarnate 9 or a Soulborn 14 in order to pull it off, however.

There's also an armour enhancement in Book of Exalted Deeds with the same effect, although it's pricey (+4 equivalent), and Binders of 13th level or higher are immune to energy drain as long as they have a vestige bound.

if you're already overcoming DR through shear force, you don't have to worry about it being resisted.

You're talking about a massive amount of force, so that should be 'sheer', not 'shear'[/pedantry]

Keld Denar
2011-02-15, 02:19 PM
Or I could be talking about a force parallel to the plane of action. If you apply Mohr's Circle to a perpendicular force, you'll find that every normal stress creates a certain amount of shear force. So if you are overcoming DR by applying force normal to the body of the affected creature, you'd also be overcoming the DR with the application of shear force.

Your english pedantery has nothing on my engineering pedantery!

Gnoman
2011-02-15, 02:29 PM
Go with keen. Don't use vorpal, as you'll do a huge amount of damage on a crit, so Vorpal's very rare instakills are a wast of enchantment range.

lesser_minion
2011-02-15, 02:36 PM
Or I could be talking about a force parallel to the plane of action.

You could be, but we both know that you aren't -- it is the presence of a large amount of force that overcomes the DR, not the presence of shear forces.

Your engineering pedantry has nothing on my D&D pedantry!

Coidzor
2011-02-15, 05:10 PM
^: Nice new avvie, LM!

...What enhancements should one put on a braid blade anyway? Since they're kind of an "eh, why not?" weapon anyway, it seems almost like other than the cost barrier it'd be the sort of weapon that long-shot enhancements like vorpal would go on.

TechnOkami
2011-02-15, 07:04 PM
Mindfeeder (MIC). I'm playing that PrC right now, and I have a +1 Mindfeeder Falchion. With Imp Critical, I crit on a 15+, and every crit gives a ton of bonus PP that I use with Dimension Hop to skip around the battlefield and channel Dispel Psionics into my foes. Its pretty sweet.

Other than that, Collision (MIC) is pretty badass. Its static damage, so it multiplies on a crit. Its not energy damage, so if you're already overcoming DR through shear force, you don't have to worry about it being resisted.

Barring that, Wounding is an old favorite of mine. You can never deal too much Con damage to people. Every second hit equates to a free loss of 1xHD worth of HP. Thats potentially a huge loss. Doesn't work on some things, but the things it works on...ouch!

To sum up my reaction... your first quote in your quotes section is true to its words.

Though I have a new question: Do you think the PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107034) I mentioned above is worth it? I've never really played a psionic character before, so I'm headed directly for a crash course on the brain.