PDA

View Full Version : New to D&D and DMing...help needed...

Vrythas
2011-02-15, 05:21 PM
Hi,

I have, throughout the past 7 years or so, known about D&D from friends, and have always thought that it would be cool to start my own game. You see, I would have joined one, except for the fact that I live in China, so I think you will understand when I say that I couldn't find any games that were already running. Anyways, last year, I got all the core rulebooks for 4e, and I recently got two sets of dice. I now have several friends that would be willing to come and play if I was the DM. Some of the friends have played before, but not much, and another hasn't ever played. I, myself, am not really familiar with how it should run, as well as how certain actions should be handled. I have read the sticked thread with links to FAQ's and the like, but there are gameplay situations in which I have no clue as to what to do. So, if anyone has any tips, ideas, or things you wished you had known when you started DMing, please post here. Just remember, that I have never been in a real game of D&D.
Thanks.

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-15, 05:30 PM
We have another Level 1 GM!
*hugs*

Two years ago, I started running a game without even playing one or seeing one being played, so don't think you're alone.

Here are some tips:

1) Playtest the game by yourself and get used to rolling initiative, attack rolls, damage rolls, conditions etc.
2) Watch and listen to the Chris Perkins videos/podcasts where he DMs for Penny Arcade and the cast of Robot Chicken. I'd give my eye teeth to sit in on his games.
3)Place temporary limits on yourself in terms of content while you master the fundamentals. This may mean pre-rolling characters for your players (though ask them what they would like to play first) and out-ruling certain classes and details until you are ready.
4)Playing and running a game is hard to describe unless you have done it. You will find out what it is like to have five ideas in your head at once. never be afraid to ask for five minutes so you can get ready. "You guys roleplay for a bit, I need to sort something out"
5)When you start playing, go slowly. The first encounter you run will be slow and it will be awkward, don't fret over this as it takes time for them to be fluid so make it easy.
6) And remember to have fun! You are playing a game!

slaydemons
2011-02-15, 05:54 PM
... so wait since i have never dm'd before or not well enough am I one of those level 1 gm as well may i also get a hug and free campaign settings or adventures :D?

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-15, 05:57 PM
*hug*

In my book, a Level 1 GM is a GM who runs a game without playing one.

Vangor
2011-02-15, 06:10 PM
So, if anyone has any tips, ideas, or things you wished you had known when you started DMing, please post here. Just remember, that I have never been in a real game of D&D.
Thanks.

Decide what is truly important to your group: dungeon-delving, clear quests to pursue, roleplaying settings, or exploration.

For first timers, I recommend a clear quest. Start simple with a village with a few problems. Bandits have been attacking surrounding farms. Goblins are overrunning the local mine. Something similar which is not hidden and unambiguous. Gives you a hub and a few important places, allowing utilized description without becoming overwhelming.

RndmNumGen
2011-02-15, 06:16 PM
*hug*

What if they have played one? Are they multiclass Player/GM?

dsmiles
2011-02-15, 06:24 PM
What if they have played one? Are they multiclass Player/GM?I feel like that would net you just enough XP to advance to, like, level 3-ish.

slaydemons
2011-02-15, 06:29 PM
my first game is in this forum and we haven't done much but its been far more exciting then what i can think up

Siosilvar
2011-02-15, 06:41 PM
What if they have played one? Are they multiclass Player/GM?

Yes, but with enough ranks in Knowledge (3.5 Rules) and Diplomacy you can get away without a level of DM. Some of the class features are really useful, though.

As for actual advice, ars ludi (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/) is excellent and will help, but pretty much only once you actually get started. Some of the "gm craft: the basics" is good; the rest is more advanced stuff, really.

Ozreth
2011-02-15, 06:43 PM
Read Katana's blog, it's great. Start at the beginning.

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-15, 07:00 PM
The "offering a few pearls" post has what I outlined above in more detail.

Vrythas
2011-02-16, 01:50 AM
Here's a more specific question: are there any inherent pitfalls in 4e that i should watch out for?

Waker
2011-02-16, 02:10 AM
I can't speak extensively on the subject since I haven't played a great deal of 4e compared to 3rd, but 4e is pretty straightforward. They took out a lot of the potential for abuse that you could do in 3rd.

dsmiles
2011-02-16, 05:56 AM
Not a pitfall, but the power differential between 'tiers' in 4e is much less then in 3.5e. Also, I've noticed that a lot of 4e DMs tend to forget that this is a ROLEPLAYING game. There's more to it than combat and skill challenges.

Eldan
2011-02-16, 07:28 AM
Well, I don't know 4E, but there are a few general tips which I think are always applicable:

Always, before a game, have a good look at your player's sheets. Take out the books, read all the abilities they have and think about what they can do with them. Also check their values for important skills. This is perhaps one of the most important things for any campaign. A skilled DM can, from the character sheet, tell what kind of encounter the PCs can and can not beat. For you, it's more a general guideline on what kind of character they are. Also, reading the rules helps you be prepared when they make a mess out of it, which will almost certainly help with first timers.

Second, and just as important: don't sweat it over the rules. If there is a discussion on how something works, listen to each argument for a minute, then make a decision. Look it up in the books after the game, not during it. Keeping the game flowing is very important for first time players, as it will determine a lot of the game's feel, and whether or not they would like to come back to it.

Loren
2011-02-16, 08:47 AM
I find that one pit fall with 4E, depending on ones opinion, is its potential to run like a board game during combat. It seems to me that this starts happening when players start calling out the name of their powers and results of their rolls. I insist on players describing what they are trying to do as opposed to using the name of their power.
example: "Wolf pack tacits! Nelly shifts one and I attack at 20 and 8 damage" is not a particularly narrative way of describing combat
As opposed to "I subtly nod my head at Nelly, indicating the direction I want her to move, she shifts distracting the goblin while I thrust my sword at it, attack 20." "you hit, driving the point of your sword into its stumach for how much damage" "8"

Other people, however like the boardgame style as it may run faster.

One thing I like having on hand is a sheet with all the conditions (I find it difficult to remember all the subtle differences between them all) and a sheet with the actions that can be taken in combat (it takes a while for everyone to learn all the options that are availible to them that are not printed on their character sheet.

Page 42 in the dmg is your best friend if you have a creative group

Comet
2011-02-16, 08:54 AM
I find that one pit fall with 4E, depending on ones opinion, is its potential to run like a board game during combat. It seems to me that this starts happening when players start calling out the name of their powers and results of their rolls. I insist on players describing what they are trying to do as opposed to using the name of their power.
example: "Wolf pack tacits! Nelly shifts one and I attack at 20 and 8 damage" is not a particularly narrative way of describing combat
As opposed to "I subtly nod my head at Nelly, indicating the direction I want her to move, she shifts distracting the goblin while I thrust my sword at it, attack 20." "you hit, driving the point of your sword into its stumach for how much damage" "8"

Other people, however like the boardgame style as it may run faster.

For D&D, I find it best to first list out the game effects and mechanics and then narrate the same thing briefly in terms of the actual fiction.

Let's face it, a lot of the fun in D&D comes from being tactical in combat, perhaps even moreso in 4th ed. This means that you need to be clear when you communicate your intent and actions on the playing field.

Your first example is clear, to the point and gives everyone an image of what abilities are being used and how. The second is more vague and leaves a lot of room for the imagination.

D&D, as written, is much about the tactics. If you want to accept that notion, you need to have some mechanical lingo in there. 4th ed, in particular, has a lot of very specific abilities and conditions that you need to have common names for if you want your combat challenges to make any kind of sense.

I do agree on your point about presenting a convincing narrative, though. I play 3.5 without any miniatures at all and other systems have even less focus on the tacticality and such. It's just that 3.5 and 4th edition, as they are written, rely pretty heavily on the 'game' aspect for the enjoyment of the players.

Loren
2011-02-16, 09:13 AM
I agree, it is important to use a common language, and key words, such as the name of conditions. However, the names of most powers (particularly the martial powers) are often so abstract that no one at the table knows what they mean unless they have all been gaming for a while.

Oh, a big one is trust your players. This game is dependent on the players trusting that the DM is not screwing with them, throwing them into challenges they can't over come. It is equally critical to have a successful group that the players all trust each other and the DM trusts the players. Don't double check their rolls, or challenge they way they are running their character, unless something seems very off and they are probably confused (to avoid this I like to take the time to run through their sheets with the player to make sure they know and understand the nuances of their character). Frequently challenging the integrity of your players not only slows the game, but creates disharmony, which will kill everyones enjoyment.

edit
note that for a party of 4 first level characters their will be 8 at wills, 4 encounter, 4 racial, and 4 daily plus class features in play. Memorizing the specificals of all 20+ powers is not necessary. I, personally, would be more concerned about knowing the powers of the monsters I need to run. If you are confused about what a player is doing you can just them to explain.

valadil
2011-02-16, 10:08 AM
Having fun is more important than any rule. If you don't know what to do, just make something up.

Sebastrd
2011-02-16, 12:13 PM
The most important thing to keep in mind as a DM is that the rules are just guidelines. Do NOT let the rules or lack thereof get in the way of your game.

Contrary to what you may read, a DM is not a referee or a rules-guru.

A DM is an actor, storyteller, and performer. Do whatever you need to do to bring the world to life and keep things interesting. Be descriptive and animated.

If things start to slow down and people get bored, throw all of your prep work or your pre-made adventure out the window and have a random monster or group of monsters show up for no apparent reason. Your players constant paranoia and need to speculate will take care of the reasoning for you.

Kaww
2011-02-16, 12:51 PM
... so wait since i have never dm'd before or not well enough am I one of those level 1 gm as well may i also get a hug and free campaign settings or adventures :D?

*hug*

Can I get a hug too? I was hugged several times today, but it was the same person. :smallfrown:

@ Vrythas: Have fun. Try to make sure your players have fun. Remember that they will make you laugh and cry - maybe both at the same time. Be relaxed, ready to improvise and a bit drunk (never hurts, except when driving or railroading).

Loren
2011-02-16, 03:01 PM
If you are having trouble coming up with an adventure to run

this site has some old 3.5 adventures (may need to update if you are using 4E)
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b
there are plenty of other web sites with adventures on them