PDA

View Full Version : 4e DMing

appending_doom
2011-02-15, 05:55 PM
I'm working up to DMing for a 4th-ed game for the first time. I've got a few questions for more experienced people.

First, are there any good modules that really help people get into the flow of 4E? I'm new to the system, a bit, too, so I'm also looking for something that'll show me how things flow.

Second, aside from the core, are there any resources you think are vital to have? There are already like 12 classes that don't show up in the PHB, so I'm wondering what I should consider an important asset before beginning.

Thanks to anyone who can help out!

Mando Knight
2011-02-15, 05:57 PM
Aside from the DMG 1 (and any appropriate flavor-heavy books like the Dark Sun Campaign Guide or the Draconomicon), all you need is a DDI subscription. I'm totally serious about this.

dsmiles
2011-02-15, 06:26 PM
I'd recommend Keep on the Shadowfell. It even comes with quickstart rules.

DragonBaneDM
2011-02-15, 06:28 PM
Heck, my first adventure was just the back of the DMG, in Kobold Hall.

Ozreth
2011-02-15, 06:45 PM
For total n00bs I second Kobold Hall. Then play Slaying Stone (1 of the few really good 4e modules).

cupkeyk
2011-02-15, 06:52 PM
Keeps of the shadowfell was painfully easy though.

dsmiles
2011-02-15, 06:54 PM
Keeps of the shadowfell was painfully easy though.That's why I recommended it. The quickstart rules make it very easy to get new players into the 4e system. I ran it before Amazon even shipped my core set.

MeeposFire
2011-02-15, 06:54 PM
I have heard great things about the new adventures in the DM Kit and the Monster Vault which I also recommend on their own merits.

Vknight
2011-02-15, 07:30 PM
Agreed Kobold Hall or Keep on the Shadowfell or your own varieations of the listed.

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-15, 07:32 PM
Second, aside from the core, are there any resources you think are vital to have? There are already like 12 classes that don't show up in the PHB, so I'm wondering what I should consider an important asset before beginning.

If you're still new and learning there's no reason you can't tell your players that you aren't comfortable handling things outside PHB yet. That's a triple negative, but temp limits on what you allow so you can learn to DM are not a bad idea.

When I started running games, I ran SW saga and no one was allowed to be a Jedi. And still I say no new player can be one.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-15, 07:36 PM
First, are there any good modules that really help people get into the flow of 4E?
There are lots of free ones for download at http://livingforgottenrealms.com - some of those are good, some are bad, but it's easy to spend a few hours paging through them to see what you like.

Second, aside from the core, are there any resources you think are vital to have?
Nothing outside the PHB1 is vital.

No, not even the errata or other fixes. Don't worry about them; just starting from that one book (for players, and the DMG1 and MM1 for the DM) has plenty of possibilities.

Mando Knight
2011-02-15, 07:46 PM
A subscription to DDI is cheaper than buying the PHB and MM 1s, though, and gives you more sheer stuff than most players will ever go through.