PDA

View Full Version : Con advice for a first timer

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-15, 09:20 PM
Okay, this easter long weekend there's a con up in Sydney that I'll be going to, and even though it'll be my first one I want to run a 4E game there. There's a Paragon-tier adventure I'm running my players through with another DM that I'd like to modify and run another party through.

I'll be playing games as well, just not RPGA ones as I'm not a member and can't be one. :smallfrown:

Do you guys have any tips for a first time convention gamer?

Twilightwyrm
2011-02-16, 12:12 AM
Ohhhhh, that's what you met by cons...I was going to instruct you on the finer points of pulling an Nigerian scheme on a PC wizard...never mind.:smallbiggrin:

Cealocanth
2011-02-16, 12:14 AM
I've never been to one, but I'm sure that any players that come to cons to play play fairly often. Be prepared for any shenanigans they have up there sleeve, or it may end up being you that's going to be "conned".

TalonDemonKing
2011-02-16, 12:14 AM
Go with a cold. Con funk does exist, and its pretty horrible. When you can't smell, it suddenly becomes much, much better.

As far as actual gaming? Maybe you can help me when I go to Dragon Con here in september :P

Amblehook
2011-02-16, 01:55 AM
Be clear up front as to what your expectations are. Let them know what will not be allowed or tolerated (i.e. no evil characters, no characters named Bob, etc.). Also, make it clear whether the game will be RP heavy, if critical thinking is a must, or if combat will dominate the game. And (although, it won't help you at your first con) ask for advice from the group at the end of the session. ("What did I do right?" "What could make it more fun?")

Also, I'm not sure how that con will be, but the con I attend is full of drunken debauchery, so tolerance for those with hangovers might be necessary if you have an early game.

PS. Cons are supposed to be fun. Have fun.

RTGoodman
2011-02-16, 02:00 AM
Also, make it clear whether the game will be RP heavy, if critical thinking is a must, or if combat will dominate the game.

This. Also, I haven't run D&D at cons, but I think I would probably suggest a combat-oriented module with very little roleplaying. Think your basic hack-and-slash dungeon-crawl or something like that. I wouldn't expect a lot of deep roleplaying anyway - these groups are only together for a couple of hours to have some fun, kill some monsters, and take some loot. Give 'em that and they'll be happy.

(Note: I've only ever run WWII naval miniatures games at cons, not RPGS, but the principle is the same. As long as people get to blow stuff up, they're happy. :smalltongue:)

Dr.Epic
2011-02-16, 02:11 AM
Ohhhhh, that's what you met by cons...I was going to instruct you on the finer points of pulling an Nigerian scheme on a PC wizard...never mind.:smallbiggrin:

Hey, I thought she meant constitution score.

Kaldrin
2011-02-16, 02:13 AM
Go with a cold. Con funk does exist, and its pretty horrible. When you can't smell, it suddenly becomes much, much better.

I was going to suggest some of those nose plugs divers wear...

Oh, and shower. It applies both ways.

Generally you only have a few hours to tell the story at a Con. We generally make it a simple adventure, small dungeon (if any) and a tie-in that doesn't take a lot of time. For our Underground Con I'm running a simple old west bounty hunt to introduce players to the GURPS system.

Arutema
2011-02-16, 03:04 AM
This. Also, I haven't run D&D at cons, but I think I would probably suggest a combat-oriented module with very little roleplaying. Think your basic hack-and-slash dungeon-crawl or something like that. I wouldn't expect a lot of deep roleplaying anyway - these groups are only together for a couple of hours to have some fun, kill some monsters, and take some loot. Give 'em that and they'll be happy.

Seconding this. If you go RP-heavy you risk using up your timeslot on something that will bore the more combat-centric players. Definitely go RP-light.

Bring some pre-gen PCs to the game in case someone shows up without one, or dies mid-session and needs a replacement.

Lastly, pack yourself sandwiches. The food they serve at cons tends to be over-priced and poor quality.