PDA

View Full Version : Build Concept: Need Help With Mechanics [D&D3.5]

KnightDisciple
2011-02-15, 10:11 PM
Right, so. Between figuring "backup characters are good" and "I like thinking up characters", a thought occurred to me about a character concept.

First, background. The game is set in Eberron, I think a couple years after the year given in the setting book.
-32 point buy character building
-Full Gestalt
-Nearly anything goes, class-wise. Beyond basically anything printed, I know for a fact most all of these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4589069&postcount=50) are allowed (I'm playing a Spirit Archer at the moment, in fact), much of this (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Fax_Encyclopedicus) should be good (I used the ToB variant Ranger, as well as the archer path, from that page; I'd bet most of the other stuff is good too), and this stuff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8474132&postcount=75) is the DM's own work (so, likely very allowed).

For an example of "tone", I refer you to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10217437).

Okay, with that all out of the way, I present my concept: one of these guys (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Grey_Knight).

A couple notes:
-I'm open to a couple different build types, since there's some variety within the concept itself.
-I'm going more for "spirit of the law" rather than "letter of the law"
-I'd rather any suggestions not be hyper-focused on demon-killing or whatnot. This would still need to be useful in other fights.

Beyond that, go wild. :smallbiggrin:

KnightDisciple
2011-02-16, 10:13 PM
Bumping, just because I'm hoping somebody has some sort of thoughts here. :smallsmile:

gbprime
2011-02-16, 10:51 PM
I'd say use gestalt to mix Cloistered Cleric on the one side with Crusader on the other. Then take PrC levels on one side in Knight of the Chalice (CW) or Hellreaver (FC2). Options include powering up Law Devotion or making good use of Knowledge Devotion.

Saint GoH
2011-02-17, 12:26 AM
Hellreaver has a distinctly demon hunter feel to it, and may be worth considering.

I'd almost say Regular Cleric and Rogue with persistent DMM. Rogue is fairly passive in its skill granting bonuses, and with Crusader//Cleric you have almost too many options and not enough actions.

Sir Swindle89
2011-02-17, 02:20 AM
Incarnate(law)//Fighter

Is my first instinct. heavily armored wielding a blade you infuse with blue magic stuff.

Not the most optimized build in the world, but it fits thematically

KnightDisciple
2011-02-17, 07:14 AM
I'm not sure how Cleric (cloistered or no) quite fits. While the psychic powers of Grey Knights could certainly be replicated via spells...I've read the book trilogy, and I never saw more than, oh, 3-4 level spells. If that, even. Crusader makes sense, as does Knight of the Chalice.

I would prefer a Full BAB on one side or the other, since in my mind, they're really good at fighting, and thus can hit often (so, thus, high BAB).

gbprime
2011-02-17, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure how Cleric (cloistered or no) quite fits. While the psychic powers of Grey Knights could certainly be replicated via spells...I've read the book trilogy, and I never saw more than, oh, 3-4 level spells.

They're warrior monks, and they have amassed much knowledge of the daemonic. Cloistered cleric feeds into that. They can admonish the daemonic with spells, and cloistered cleric plays into that.

You use Crusader on the one side for the armor and BAB and combat prowess, and cloistered cleric for the knowledge and spells angle. Then you stop progressing cloistered cleric at level 8 to pick up Hellreaver or KNight of the Chalice. That gets your PrC in there, maintains your full BAB, and doesn't break the spell power level you're looking for.

Not sure how you'd emulate the Holocaust power, though. :smallconfused:

KnightDisciple
2011-02-17, 09:13 PM
They're warrior monks, and they have amassed much knowledge of the daemonic. Cloistered cleric feeds into that. They can admonish the daemonic with spells, and cloistered cleric plays into that.

You use Crusader on the one side for the armor and BAB and combat prowess, and cloistered cleric for the knowledge and spells angle. Then you stop progressing cloistered cleric at level 8 to pick up Hellreaver or KNight of the Chalice. That gets your PrC in there, maintains your full BAB, and doesn't break the spell power level you're looking for.

Not sure how you'd emulate the Holocaust power, though. :smallconfused:Oh, I get giving them some level of ability. But in the fluff, they have maybe a half-dozen powers, if that. It's mostly passive mental defenses, with some self-buffs to do well against demons. That's why I'm uncertain about a full caster like cleric.

Holocaust requires multiple people, as I recall. It'd be some special power set aside or something.

Honestly, I kind of wish there were a lawful version of a warlock or something; the Warlock Blast seems like a decent way to represent the Storm Bolter.

Saint GoH
2011-02-17, 09:21 PM
Well, to be perfectly honest I don't know much about Warhammer 40k (which is where these are from, correct?) but from what I have heard, it sounds as if their powers are fairly passive in nature, yet they are warriorish monkish types.

Perhaps Psychic Warrior// Crusader? Focus on the psychic warrior buffs while still maintaining the Holy Warrior goodness that is Crusader?

I'm trying here, I really am. But I got nothing.