PDA

View Full Version : Halna's Homebrew Compendium- The Place Where the Best Come to Stay!

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-15, 10:26 PM
What? You're a homebrew maker?

You think that your homebrew is part of the Elite? But, even if you aren't, you still might just have a chance to join Halna's Homebrew Compendium!

What? Halna's Homebrew.... I don't follow.
*Sigh* Okay, look. There is a LOT of great Homebrew on Giantitp. But, more and more, I get the feeling that a lot of it gets buried under the pile of new stuff.

In addition to that, I play a lot of Play-by-Post games on here as well. All the time, I see DMs going "I don't allow homebrew! Blarg blarg blarg!" when there is a LOT of great stuff out there. This compendium is meant to showcase the best homebrew on the site. I want a resource for DMs to be able to find well thought-out, balanced homebrew. Too many DMs leave homebrew in the dust because they don't wanna sort through all of the stuff that is bad and/or wrong. If DMs had a resource that they could say "Everything in Halna's Compendium is allowed" then they could know that they were getting the best that Giantitp has to offer!

Okay. Maybe that's a reason why I should contribute to this thread. But who are you? Just an Ogre in the Playground. Nobody cares about your opinion.
Well, I do agree with you. However, this Compendium wouldn't be by me. You, yes you, viewer, sitting in your chair, reading this, can help decide what goes into this Compendium. Every Sunday at there will be a new thread. Each thread will have a theme, be it Base Classes, Monsters, Sexiest Construct, or whatever it may be. In each thread, you can nominate a single (read: one(1)) of that whatever to be in the voting thread!

If the homebrew that you nominated gets three seconds, then it goes into the voting thread! The voting thread will open the following Sunday, and the homebrew that gets the most votes wins!

And?
And... that's pretty much it. Obviously, this is going to be a LOT of work, so if you want to help, please, be my guest. And, more then just in management and threads and the like. If you haven't noticed, I obviously don't have great formatting skills, so any comments on that or the like would be appreciated. I have a set of rules already thought up, so if you want to see them, I'll post them. If you have any comments about formatting or the like, please PM me. In addition, I'm going to need some pictures I can use for free, and finding a source of those would be amazing.

Secondly, I do realize that it'll be off to a slow start. So, if people want to help in the creation of multiple threads now and later, that would be awesome! :smallbiggrin:

[I]So, thank you all! Welcome to Halna's Homebrew Compendium! Feel free to browse, chat, or just wait, smoking in the lounge! But, really, you shouldn't be smoking. It's bad for you.

Current Voting Thread: Races (1) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10459463#post10459463)
Current Nomination Thread: ToB PrCs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10460884#post10460884)

Old Nomination Threads:
Races 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188118)

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-15, 10:29 PM
What about edits to a creation that has a great concept, but needs fine-tuning? Will there be a PEACHing period before votes?

Siosilvar
2011-02-15, 10:32 PM
...Just an Ogre in the Playground. Nobody cares about your opinion.

Actually... if anybody ever says this, feel free to quote the Forum Rules at them. :smallwink:

There's been attempts to do this before, though less... structured? There was a homebrew compendium project and a Phoenix magazine (which may still be ongoing).

As for posters with excellent homebrew:
Fax Celestis
The Demented One
Vorpal Tribble
Krimm Blackleaf
ErrantX
Zeta Kai (although he does more big projects than single classes and stuff)

...yeah, that's all I've got off the top of my head.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-15, 10:32 PM
Well, I'm hoping that anything that is nominated is (mostly) done. And, obviously, a concept can fall into multiple categories, and we'll probably revisit popular categories (like Fighter Fixes) many times. Most homebrew I see is in always being finetuned. However, I think it'd be best that something be mostly completed, with the exception of fine-tuning, before being nominated.

Actually... if anybody ever says this, feel free to quote the Forum Rules at them. :smallwink:

Shhh! I was trying to be funny through self-deprecation! :smallbiggrin:

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-15, 10:38 PM
Homebrew is never truly finished, Ms. Helna, and competitions such as this one are a great way to get feedback that may otherwise be difficult to secure.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-15, 10:40 PM
...Ms? :smalleek: Awww... I thought I was a boy. :smallwink:

And I do know that. I'm having my own Homebrew-making-ness... troubles. However, missing most of your class features and half your spells are the kinds of things that shouldn't be nominated. :smallbiggrin:

Imbasel
2011-02-15, 10:41 PM
If I may be so bold as to suggest the first homebrew be something like create an arcane guild. Or should this have been suggested on Sunday?

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-15, 10:42 PM
If I may be so bold as to suggest the first homebrew be something like create an arcane guild. Or should this have been suggested on Sunday?

Suggestions for what category is up are perfect for this thread! Unfortunately, the point of this compendium isn't to create things- it's to showcase things that are already made.

Temotei
2011-02-15, 10:43 PM
As for posters with excellent homebrew:
Fax Celestis
The Demented One
Vorpal Tribble
Krimm Blackleaf
ErrantX
Zeta Kai (although he does more big projects than single classes and stuff)

While I do agree that much of what these individuals do is great, I have to say that a lot of the best out there is by no-names or people we are quick to forget.

For example (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6151468&postcount=9)...

Also, out of the big names, you forgot Kellus, Realms of Chaos, and maybe Djinn_In_Tonic (I almost forgot to capitalize that I in "In" again. It bothers me.).

LOTRfan
2011-02-15, 10:48 PM
This sounds cool to me. If you need any help, PM me. This can be very interesting (especially if it brings about the PEACHing of homebrews, even those who don't "win.")

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-15, 10:52 PM
...Ms? :smalleek: Awww... I thought I was a boy. :smallwink:

And I do know that. I'm having my own Homebrew-making-ness... troubles. However, missing most of your class features and half your spells are the kinds of things that shouldn't be nominated. :smallbiggrin:

Mostly my problems are balance-related, not completion related.

Might I also suggest that we begin with Races, the building blocks of all good characters?

LOTRfan
2011-02-15, 10:53 PM
Are there going to be separate threads for races with LA and races without?

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-15, 10:55 PM
Are there going to be separate threads for races with LA and races without?

Well, we can do multiple threads. And balancing the features against the LA is part of making it a good homebrew.

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-15, 11:02 PM
While I do agree that much of what these individuals do is great, I have to say that a lot of the best out there is by no-names or people we are quick to forget.

For example (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6151468&postcount=9)...

Also, out of the big names, you forgot Kellus, Realms of Chaos, and maybe Djinn_In_Tonic (I almost forgot to capitalize that I in "In" again. It bothers me.).

Also, I see your Sin Knight and raise you a Child of the Mausoleum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6123947&postcount=6).

Why yes, I am still bitter about that competition. Friggin' joke classes....

Temotei
2011-02-15, 11:07 PM
Also, I see your Sin Knight and raise you a Child of the Mausoleum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6123947&postcount=6).

Why yes, I am still bitter about that competition. Friggin' joke classes....

At least I gave an example I didn't make, mibitterlord. :smalltongue:

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-15, 11:08 PM
At least I gave an example I didn't make, mibitterlord. :smalltongue:

I pimp one of my own creations maybe twice annually, cut me some slack :p

arguskos
2011-02-15, 11:10 PM
You forgot the last of the big names, afroakuma. Why does everyone forget him? Some 'o you weren't around for his big hey-day, I guess.

LOTRfan
2011-02-15, 11:11 PM
I love his Inevitables and Slaadi.

Temotei
2011-02-16, 12:06 AM
You forgot the last of the big names, afroakuma. Why does everyone forget him? Some 'o you weren't around for his big hey-day, I guess.

Oops. My bad. I was absent for a year after joining (I commented on Zeta Kai's FFX-d20 project a few times, then forgot about this site), which is about the time he was doing a massive project, if I remember.

Did he help with Hourglass of Zihaja?

arguskos
2011-02-16, 12:10 AM
Oops. My bad. I was absent for a year after joining (I commented on Zeta Kai's FFX-d20 project a few times, then forgot about this site), which is about the time he was doing a massive project, if I remember.

Did he help with Hourglass of Zihaja?
It was his and Zeta's brainchild, and Shadow_Elf joined up for the 4e conversion, as I recall.

afroakuma started the whole "Vote Up A X" craze a few years ago. He revamped the entire Inevitable and Slaad line-up. He created the wildly popular VUAVillain series, which was FANTASTIC and had some of the greatest villains ever to grace 3.5 (seriously, look up the Silver Hellstar for a fine example).

Temotei
2011-02-16, 12:14 AM
It was his and Zeta's brainchild, and Shadow_Elf joined up for the 4e conversion, as I recall.

afroakuma started the whole "Vote Up A X" craze a few years ago. He revamped the entire Inevitable and Slaad line-up. He created the wildly popular VUAVillain series, which was FANTASTIC and had some of the greatest villains ever to grace 3.5 (seriously, look up the Silver Hellstar for a fine example).

Ah, yes. I remember a bit of that. Shame on me for not remembering to put him in the list of big names.

arguskos
2011-02-16, 12:22 AM
Ah, yes. I remember a bit of that. Shame on me for not remembering to put him in the list of big names.
'sall good man. I'd definitely nominate anything from the big names for a compendium though, it's all outstanding work, surely enough. This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60676) thread is a good place to look for fine work to suggest for this Compendium (which is a noble goal).

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-16, 12:50 PM
Well, I don't want the big name Homebrewers dominating the thread. I'm thinking that once a person's homebrew has won (not been nominated) that they then can't be nominated for, say, three weeks? Or maybe two competitions...

akma
2011-02-16, 02:14 PM
My oppinion on the competition:
The more nominies will be, the less chance that people who are not big names will win.
Let`s say for exemple that there will be 20 nominies. Most of the people who will vote won`t have the patience to read 20 entries, and will most likely choose to read those by names they recognize. Also, the so called big names have probably already got a sort of a small fan club, who will vote for them.

Well, I don't want the big name Homebrewers dominating the thread. I'm thinking that once a person's homebrew has won (not been nominated) that they then can't be nominated for, say, three weeks? Or maybe two competitions...

About 7 people were mentioned here as big name homebrewers, so that won`t help. Also, I think the vote should be based purely on the quality on the homebrew, and if that means that the same person wins a few times, so be it.
You can do that only 1 homebrew of a person can be nominated per vote.

Jarian
2011-02-16, 02:20 PM
My 2 cp:

Every voter gets three votes; 1st place for 3 points, 2nd place for 2 points, 3rd place for 1 point. You can't vote for the same person's homebrew more than once when you vote. This means that, for example, Vorpal Tribble could come in and knock everybody's socks off with his stuff, but Random Homebrewer #42 would still get his entries looked at, and voted on if they're good.

arguskos
2011-02-16, 02:22 PM
You can do that only 1 homebrew of a person can be nominated per vote.
I would absolutely support this motion. And honestly, I've enough ego to say that I've made some stuff of quality. Temotei too, and many others. DMofDarkness has some great work, as does unosarta and many others. The big guys are grand, sure, but they're hardly the only cowboys in town, so to say. :smallwink:

Seriously, check out the sig thread in depth. You'll be amazed at what you find. People like DracoDei abound, whose work is extensive and detailed but never seems to get talked about. Lots of gems in there.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-17, 07:08 PM
I like the idea that only 1 homebrew/person/vote. :smallbiggrin: Thanks guys!

So, anyone have any suggestions for this upcoming Sunday?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-18, 11:35 AM
What about edits to a creation that has a great concept, but needs fine-tuning? Will there be a PEACHing period before votes?

I hope there will be. The homebrewers here balanced around multiple points, and some do it better than others. Simply voting can't ensure a compendium that's able to be entirely cleared by a DM, as balance and design will vary extensively, and voting isn't really proper quality control.

...and maybe Djinn_In_Tonic (I almost forgot to capitalize that I in "In" again. It bothers me.).

Honestly, I thought it was lowercase. That bothers me now to...maybe I'll see if they'll change it.

I like the idea that only 1 homebrew/person/vote. :smallbiggrin: Thanks guys!

Personally, I'm quite against this. Vorpal Tribble is an amazing designer, but he does monsters almost exclusively. Krimm Blackleaf, The_Demented_One, ErrantX and (if I may be so bold) myself are great PrC designers, but don't do other things nearly as much. Realms of Chaos, Kellus and Fax Celestis design entire systems. A lot of our stuff quite honestly deserves to be in a compilation of good, balanced homebrew, but a 1 homebrew/person/vote (or even just voting in general) limit means that this will be incredibly difficult to do, given the scope of our work. I understand that you don't want the big names to dominate, but, given that the goal is getting the best homebrew in the compendium, it seems more in keeping with the stated goal to simply let the best win, whether or not it comes from a "big name" (some of it does, some of it doesn't...I just think the field shouldn't be limited in that manner).

To balance this out, of course, you could keep those homebrew creations that didn't win in the running for the next time that theme runs around, so that deserving homebrew doesn't get knocked out by the well-knowns.

I'm also concerned about the varying contest themes, as some work on the forums is vastly less than others in terms of quantity, and thus will show up in lesser quality due to having less competition (not always the case, but it's a possibility). Perhaps having un-themed contests would result in a better mix?

Finally, without some sort of committee determining balance, relative power, and the like, you won't be able to have the goal of a "everything in this compendium is legal" be realistic.

arguskos
2011-02-18, 01:42 PM
Personally, I'm quite against this. Vorpal Tribble is an amazing designer, but he does monsters almost exclusively. Krimm Blackleaf, The_Demented_One, ErrantX and (if I may be so bold) myself are great PrC designers, but don't do other things nearly as much. Realms of Chaos, Kellus and Fax Celestis design entire systems. A lot of our stuff quite honestly deserves to be in a compilation of good, balanced homebrew, but a 1 homebrew/person/vote (or even just voting in general) limit means that this will be incredibly difficult to do, given the scope of our work. I understand that you don't want the big names to dominate, but, given that the goal is getting the best homebrew in the compendium, it seems more in keeping with the stated goal to simply let the best win, whether or not it comes from a "big name" (some of it does, some of it doesn't...I just think the field shouldn't be limited in that manner).
The issue with this is that then you WOULD dominate and the whole point of this project (to illuminate good work not everyone knows about) will be lost.

We all know about you and the other big names, because, well, you're the BIG NAMES! I mean, if you go to a DM and ask for The Universal Face Rape Machine PrC, he'll say no. If you then say "well, it was made by Vorpal Tribble", he'll probably go "I'll take a look then, cause VT made it". It's brand power. You are all so prolific and well-known that you could each make your own compendiums, and practically have.

By limiting the big names to 1 brew/person/vote, we're saying "look, you guys are great and everything, but there's other guys we want to cast a light on". And frankly, one of you is likely to win every vote anyways, so in the end this will almost certainly wind up as a compendium of the big guy's finest works.

However, I recognize that you may feel slighted by this idea, and would suggest the following as a compromise. I would suggest two categories for submissions and two votes at any given time. The first category, which I'll call "Hidden Gems", highlights the lesser-known works by anyone not the big names. The second category, which I'll call "The Hall of Fame", would be for the big name guys. This way, we highlight the best of both worlds, the famous and amazing work from the big players, and the lesser known but still quite quality work from the other guys. It's not a perfect idea, but I think it helps offset both my concerns and your concerns.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-18, 02:45 PM
By limiting the big names to 1 brew/person/vote, we're saying "look, you guys are great and everything, but there's other guys we want to cast a light on".

See, I may have been misinterpreting the goal. I guess we're interpreting this line differently:

Too many DMs leave homebrew in the dust because they don't wanna sort through all of the stuff that is bad and/or wrong. If DMs had a resource that they could say "Everything in Halna's Compendium is allowed" then they could know that they were getting the best that Giantitp has to offer!

This, to me, seems like the goal is to compile the best, most real-game-appropriate homebrew in one place, but I acknowledge that I could be incorrect. Still, I understand the reasoning behind your suggestion and the 1/homebrew/vote thing: it's not that I feel slighted by it (far from it...I wholly endorse more homebrewers getting in the limelight), but I do feel that it's not in the best interests of the project, as per the stated goals, to enforce such strict (1 per vote) limitations. Also, with the "brand" recognition...having all the "big names" submit 1 per contest still has a very high chance of seeing the so-called "winners" be from that small group, because they'll all have an entry or two.

Makes me think a small group of judges might actually be better in the long run than the open vote criteria. Just thinking aloud here.

arguskos
2011-02-18, 02:50 PM
See, I may have been misinterpreting the goal. I guess we're interpreting this line differently:
Actually, I was reading this one:

*Sigh* Okay, look. There is a LOT of great Homebrew on Giantitp. But, more and more, I get the feeling that a lot of it gets buried under the pile of new stuff.
A lot of lesser folks get overlooked in favor of the bigger guys, or are just linked to the big guys when they post something that's actually quite good, and I felt like this was a way to get them some attention.

This, to me, seems like the goal is to compile the best, most real-game-appropriate homebrew in one place, but I acknowledge that I could be incorrect. Still, I understand the reasoning behind your suggestion and the 1/homebrew/vote thing: it's not that I feel slighted by it (far from it...I wholly endorse more homebrewers getting in the limelight), but I do feel that it's not in the best interests of the project, as per the stated goals, to enforce such strict (1 per vote) limitations. Also, with the "brand" recognition...having all the "big names" submit 1 per contest still has a very high chance of seeing the so-called "winners" be from that small group, because they'll all have an entry or two.
Thus the idea for two categories. We both get the, to quote you, "best, most real-game-appropriate homebrew" (which is gonna come from the big guys, let's be honest about it, cause they get the most attention and most feedback) and we get the lesser guys their day in the sun. Everyone wins!

Makes me think a small group of judges might actually be better in the long run than the open vote criteria. Just thinking aloud here.
I agree with this though. Much like the Iron Chef competitions, actually.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 02:52 PM
Who do I have to kill\bribe\abduct to get some of the 3.x.x stuff in here?
This would be a lovely excuse for finishing war-marked.

Zaydos
2011-02-18, 02:55 PM
Is the goal to compile the best of the best or is it to find hidden gems?

I interpreted it as the former, but the latter is actually something more useful to me (for the former I search for some of the big names and people I know I like the work of), but the latter would bring about things I wouldn't find otherwise.

If the goal is to get the best of the best I think an open vote is still useful, as well as a "judge's pick" with people who are agreed to know balance (not the same as the Rules; you can be able to quote the PHB and Rules Compendium off the top of your head and still mess up on balance rather badly).

Jarian
2011-02-18, 03:14 PM
You have to establish exactly what kind of balance you're looking for in that regard, though. Some people consider fighters balanced. Some people think melee should be able to compete with casters for raw firepower. Some people think magic shouldn't exist, period.

Just saying "people who know balance" doesn't do anything, because there are so many different balance points possible.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-18, 03:38 PM
You have to establish exactly what kind of balance you're looking for in that regard, though. Some people consider fighters balanced. Some people think melee should be able to compete with casters for raw firepower. Some people think magic shouldn't exist, period.

Just saying "people who know balance" doesn't do anything, because there are so many different balance points possible.

But, fairly universally, those who "know balance" usually know balance at a wide range of levels, and can often judge a class on its own merits and its own balance. Of course, knowing what it was balanced against is always helpful. :smallbiggrin:

Elfstone
2011-02-18, 03:48 PM
But who is to say that a small group of judges can accurately represent the whole of the GitP homebrew users? Unless we voted for them.... And I use alot of one timers. I.e. The White Clad (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132494). (I have no idea who else likes it, but I certainly do)

Overall, this is a great idea I have thought about doing in an organised way but never got around to it once I realized how big the homebrew forum IS.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 06:10 PM
But, fairly universally, those who "know balance" usually know balance at a wide range of levels, and can often judge a class on its own merits and its own balance. Of course, knowing what it was balanced against is always helpful. :smallbiggrin:

Actually, this is sort of silly. Balancing a fighting game is really different from balancing a table-top mini game. Balancing a high-powered game requires different concerns than balancing a low-powered game. I mean, the latter likely requires that you balance interruption of the milieu against speed of play and power level. Those are different concerns, I think.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-18, 06:29 PM
Actually, this is sort of silly. Balancing a fighting game is really different from balancing a table-top mini game. Balancing a high-powered game requires different concerns than balancing a low-powered game. I mean, the latter likely requires that you balance interruption of the milieu against speed of play and power level. Those are different concerns, I think.

I'd agree. I'm just saying what I've seen...which is that those people who are really good at judging balance are also quite often adept at changing the view they're looking at things with. :smallbiggrin:

Admiral Squish
2011-02-18, 06:44 PM
Simple solution to the whole entry/vote thing. Make it by nomination. Everybody can nominate one thing for the contest. No need to second nominations or anything, if it's nominated, it goes in the vote. You can nominate your own things, or other people's things. In this way, most brewers will be limited to one nominated creation. However, those with multiple entries that would work for the competition still have a chance to get them in, provided other people think them to be qualified enough to nominate.

*Is moderately miffed nobody's mentioned his name*

LOTRfan
2011-02-18, 06:59 PM
You forgot to add Admiral Squish's name to the list of big 'brewers. :smallwink:

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 07:07 PM
I'd agree. I'm just saying what I've seen...which is that those people who are really good at judging balance are also quite often adept at changing the view they're looking at things with. :smallbiggrin:

I think it would be better to suggest that the truly unskilled tend to fail to acquire new skills in a similar vein, perhaps? :: sardonic ::

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-18, 08:07 PM
Hmm... How about this?

Each contest has two different awards: One for "Best Homebrew of the Week", which is a general vote in. Any person can nominate any homebrew they want. Any homebrewer can have his homebrews nominated as much as they want. If thirty of their creations get nominated, so be it. If only one, that's cool too. Then, all the creations are put up to a general vote. Polls will be open for one week, and then closed. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will all get put into the Compendium. 1st place will receive some sort of prize (maybe a trophy or something? Anyone wanna design one?). Each voter gets three votes- they can put three into one, two into one and the third into another, or spend all three in different 'brews. If there is a tie, the Judge's Panel decides who is the winner.

The second award is "Judge's Award of Excellence" (or somesuch). This is awarded to homebrews that are considered the best 'balanced' and the most playable for campaigns. This is put into a seperate category, which is the one that is supposed to be a tool for DMs. The winner of one can't win the other. This one is decided upon by the Judge's Panel, who is composed of... whoever the Judges will be.

Realms of Chaos
2011-02-19, 01:34 PM
Instead of a simple "nominate any homebrew" system, why don't we do rotations of different votes so that everything from races to classes to systems to campaign settings can be voted on? It seems a bit unfair that large projects can't enter the compendium but equally unfair that a campaign setting might be weighed against a single creature. If this is what was already being suggested, sorry for not picking up on it. :smalltongue:

Edit: Also,...

Who do you think you are? Vorpal Tribble?

Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=15&a=1) :smallfrown:

LOTRfan
2011-02-19, 02:01 PM

I believe we are allowed to reference their work. :smallfrown:

akma
2011-02-19, 05:36 PM
Balance is a bit of a tricky issue, but from my gaming experience, the whole tier system never came up during games.
I thought of this general guideline:
A class is balanced if it can do at least some things better then any other class can NORMALLY do (=without optimization tricks), and not outdo a diffrent class in all possible ways (assuming no optimization made specifically for that purpose).

*snip*

I thought the focus changed from refrence tool to homebrewing competition.
If it`s a refrence tool, then balance should be the only issue of it being included in the list, with just recommendations for what`s cooler (which is a very subjective manner).

LOTRfan
2011-02-20, 12:33 AM
I'll yet you guys discuss it, but if there will be themes every week, I suggest the first be race. I already know what I'm nominating, if we do...

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-20, 10:05 AM
Instead of a simple "nominate any homebrew" system, why don't we do rotations of different votes so that everything from races to classes to systems to campaign settings can be voted on? It seems a bit unfair that large projects can't enter the compendium but equally unfair that a campaign setting might be weighed against a single creature. If this is what was already being suggested, sorry for not picking up on it. :smalltongue:

By 'any homebrew' I meant any homebrew within the theme. :smallbiggrin:

I'm not quite sure which rule I'm violating, but I'll delete it for now just to be safe.

LOTRfan
2011-02-20, 10:20 AM
You don't have to delete it. The mods said in the monster class threads that we could reference the work of banned individuals, as long as we don't talk about them (*shuts up before breaking rules*)

Realms of Chaos
2011-02-20, 10:24 AM
I just realized that there might be kind of a problem with a contest-based system. Right now, there is tons of material out there that is widly (or at least somewhat widely) considered to be good throughout my time here. If we hold contests, even on a weekly basis, we'll just fall behind as more good stuff by minor names accumulates.

Instead of using a contest-based structure, why not use a nomination-based structure? Everyone can nominate one homebrew that is not thier own (to ensure that we don't clog the threads with our newest works) each week on a submission thread and others can second or third or so forth nominations, adding them to the gallery thread after they have recieved 3-4 nominations beyond the first and to a special "best-of-the-best" post after receiving 6-10 nominations.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-20, 10:36 AM
You don't have to delete it. The mods said in the monster class threads that we could reference the work of banned individuals, as long as we don't talk about them (*shuts up before breaking rules*)

I don't think VT is banned.

@RoC: Well, I'd like to hold multiple contests a week, if possible, and would like others to help creating the threads and the like. And, we have up to four homebrews from each contest getting in.... I don't think it should be too much of a problem.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-20, 10:39 AM
I don't think VT is banned.

Considering I'm taking over the Monster in the Playground contest, I think it's safe to say that you should double check your findings. To be safe, it'd be best to remove the sentence or replace the current name with another.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-20, 10:45 AM
Ah. Well, it's been removed, so no more of that. Well, I'll be starting up the first contest thread tonight, and it'll be Races themed.

Realms of Chaos
2011-02-20, 11:22 AM
Would anyone mind if I started up a new thread with a nomination system? I'm curious to see where such a system might lead me. :smallconfused:

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-20, 11:37 AM
That's fine with me. Really, at this stage, everything is experimental. I'm putting up a nomination thread tonight, and then a voting thread next Sunday.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-20, 09:43 PM
First thread is up. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188118)

Roc Ness
2011-02-21, 05:24 AM
Dammit, I had the exact same idea, for the exact same purpose, with the exact same voting system, two days before I found out this thread existed. >.<

Oh well, at least this exists. :smallbiggrin:

Also, do all the successful nominees get a place in the listings, or is it only the winner? Because there is a lot of homebrew out there, and a single piece a week is only 52 a year, on various themes. :smallfrown:

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-21, 02:02 PM
It's actually three a week, assuming only one category a week.

Roc Ness
2011-02-21, 02:44 PM
It's actually three a week, assuming only one category a week.

Ooh! Okay! :smallbiggrin:

Welknair
2011-02-21, 02:51 PM
This almost makes me want to start making smaller homebrew stuff. You may have seen my massive Magitech System, which itself incorporates 15 or so new spells, four feats, three base classes, and 9 or so PrC's. None of which make any sense without the rest of the system. Hmm. I'm capable of making decent stuff imo, but my work tends towards revisions and major additions, rather than collections of spells, classes, and feats.

So I'm considering pumping out some in time for later competitions for this compendium... :smallconfused:

Then again, I'd very much like to be a Judge and in that case I don't think my stuff would be eligible for entry anyways...

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-21, 03:41 PM
Well, at some point in the future I'll have some for larger products, like things like yours and new systems and the like.

LOTRfan
2011-02-21, 03:42 PM
How many judges will there be?

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-21, 03:46 PM
Well, I've only had one person so far even ask. Either five or seven. Not sure. Prolly five.

mrcarter11
2011-02-21, 04:27 PM
I'd love to judge.. But I don't do any brewing myself.. I'm just an extensive user of it. Would that be alright?

Elfstone
2011-02-21, 04:56 PM
Same.

Should the judges be concerned with the scale of things in relation to something else? (tiers, wizards base classes, and such?)

Realms of Chaos
2011-02-21, 05:10 PM
Even though I'm running something else on the side, I'd still love to judge over here if you've got the room. :smallbiggrin:

Roc Ness
2011-02-22, 01:22 AM
Well, I've only had one person so far even ask. Either five or seven. Not sure. Prolly five.

I could do co-judging. Just in case somebody else is away or stuff, I could step in. I'm too busy to do regular judging.

EDIT: I presume that because there are judges there is no more seconding?

Doc Roc
2011-02-22, 01:23 AM
You have my black axe, should you want it.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-22, 04:13 PM
Okay, there are two Judge's Duties.

1. First and foremost, Judges declare the winners of a side-award: "Judge's Pick in the Playground" which is essentially a Most Balanced type thing. Judge's Picks are meant to be classes that are the most playable, i.e. the classes that can work in a large variety of games, i.e. classes that are easy to balance. A good example is Warblade- Warblade can be very low powered or very high powered, depending on how you use it. Judge's Pick doesn't necessarily aim for Tier 3 or anything, but something that can used across a variety of Tiers.

2. In the case of a tie for first, second, or third place, the Judge's pick the winner.

Both of these things are by simple majority vote.

mrcarter11
2011-02-22, 04:58 PM
Sounds good. I'm more then happy to be a judge, if no one else minds.

Elfstone
2011-02-22, 07:00 PM
I to, would love to be a judge. Unless anyone has a problem with that, I will throw my hat in.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-24, 07:10 PM
Well... why not, you two can be judges. We just need three more...

Temotei
2011-02-24, 07:45 PM
Well... why not, you two can be judges. We just need three more...

Doc Roc offered his black axe in a previous post. :smalltongue:

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-24, 09:06 PM
Yeah, but that was before I stated the duties of a Judge, so I'm waiting for people to know that.

Elfstone
2011-02-24, 09:08 PM
When will our "duties" begin?

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-24, 09:34 PM
No need to put it in quotes. I'm taking this seriously. :smallwink:

Sunday after next, so... the 6th, I believe.

EDIT: Well, really, this Sunday, when Voting begins...

Doc Roc
2011-02-24, 09:44 PM
Axes. Mine. You have them.

Elfstone
2011-02-24, 09:55 PM
Well I say duties, but its more like privilege.... And Im taking this serious as well.

How many axes?

Doc Roc
2011-02-24, 10:03 PM
Well I say duties, but its more like privilege.... And Im taking this serious as well.

How many axes?

I'm not sure (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10443361&postcount=61).

Elfstone
2011-02-24, 10:06 PM
Wow. Thats alot of axes...(Ironicly, I was just reading that)

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-25, 07:01 AM
Nice... Alright, you're in.

Zeta Kai
2011-02-26, 12:32 AM

Not to be a glory-hog, but I can prove that I started that meme. Afro does great work, but the VUAx concept (at least its format) started in my Vote Up a Monster series, which predates Afro's VUAVillain series. Sorry, but my reputation around here is ephemeral enough as it is.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-26, 09:42 AM
I know and like your stuff, Zeta Kai.

LOTRfan
2011-02-26, 09:56 AM
Yeah, you're Elemental Plane of Flesh is awesome. I've used it in every campaign I've had so far (although my players only actually visited it once).

Elfstone
2011-02-26, 12:09 PM
Not to be a glory-hog, but I can prove that I started that meme. Afro does great work, but the VUAx concept (at least its format) started in my Vote Up a Monster series, which predates Afro's VUAVillain series. Sorry, but my reputation around here is ephemeral enough as it is.

*Cough*
Examine Sig.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-27, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I don't think you're at all ephemeral, Zeta Kai. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Nomination thread is closed (not that it really needed to be) and the Voting thread will be up soon.

LOTRfan
2011-02-27, 03:58 PM
Awesome. Are you allowed to vote for what you nominate, or do we have to vote for what someone else nominated?

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-27, 04:32 PM
Vote for whatever you want, and Voting thread is up!

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-27, 08:04 PM
Shameless bump/ New nomination thread, ToB PrCs is up! Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Welknair
2011-03-01, 09:33 PM
So when we get to the Game-Overhaul Homebrews (Only thing I can think of to label my system) it'd pretty much be me versus Descent of Shadows and Hourglass of Zihaja? Well, both of those are kind of campaign settings in addition to a whole bunch of their changes. Mine's a supplement that could be applied to pretty much any setting... Huh.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-03-01, 09:34 PM
I'll probably do one for Huge Things, including both system changes AND campaign settings, just cause there's so few of each.

Welknair
2011-03-01, 09:37 PM
Hmm. Man, my votes'll probably be affected by my withholding a large deal of my material so people would actually want to buy it...

Oh, and I voted on the voting thread.

Zeta Kai
2011-03-01, 10:05 PM
I'll probably do one for Huge Things, including both system changes AND campaign settings, just cause there's so few of each.

That would include Fax's D20r project, AstralFire's Anteheroes, Lappy9000's Lords of Avramir CP, The Vorpal Tribble's A Dying Ember CP, & just about everything that I've ever done here, including the Hourglass of Zihaja CP.

LOTRfan
2011-03-01, 10:09 PM
Speaking of which, I like the monsters so far. I've noticed no one has posted in that thread. Is the thread supposed to be for the monsters only, or can people comment on it?

Welknair
2011-03-01, 10:15 PM
As for the huge things... Well, the point of the whole "Voting and Nomination" thing is to make sure the homebrews people find particularly useful find their way into the Compendium. But I hardly believe we'll have only a single PrC or a single Race... So, I'd assume there'd be multiple competitions for each category, staggered out over time. So for topics with many fewer entries, that shouldn't reduce the number that get accepted... resulting in after a short space of time all the "Huge" projects would all be listed. Right? I may be completely misinterpreting this...

Doc Roc
2011-03-01, 10:22 PM
That would include Fax's D20r project, AstralFire's Anteheroes, Lappy9000's Lords of Avramir CP, The Vorpal Tribble's A Dying Ember CP, & just about everything that I've ever done here, including the Hourglass of Zihaja CP.

And Legend, as it comes with a full setting, and three adventures.

Admiral Squish
2011-03-01, 11:23 PM
What about my latest project for a Huge Thing? It's not close to done yet, but it will hopefully get pretty huge.

Zeta Kai
2011-03-02, 12:18 AM
What about my latest project for a Huge Thing? It's not close to done yet, but it will hopefully get pretty huge.

First the huge, then the nomination. Ambition is nice, but delivery is what counts.

Elfstone
2011-03-04, 02:36 PM
When will "judging" be required?

Doc Roc
2011-03-04, 06:24 PM
Aye, let me know when.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-03-04, 08:24 PM
Judging should by done by Sunday. Prizes will be handed out on the same day.

Welknair
2011-03-05, 12:11 AM
I was a little foggy on how exactly the Judges were supposed to operate. Do you just count up Judge votes separately for the Judge's Pick? Or do we send in PMs of our "Judge Picks"? Because my previous vote was based primarily upon balance, as you said judges were supposed to do... Just a bit confused here.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-03-05, 11:01 PM
Ah, yes, I'm sorry. Judge's pick is sent into me by PM. Then, I do all that. Just so no one's feelings get hurt.