PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] An Ardent based Momochi Zabuza build.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-15, 11:50 PM
Ok, my FLGS is running a 3.5 Eberron game (Eyes of the lich queen IIRC) next sunday, and I need want to play in that game (I haven't played 3.5 in a loooong time, ~ 8 months or so, pbp doesn't counts).

And considering the recent developments in Naruto and my general fanboyism for the Demon Hidden in the Mist; I want to make a character that is basically a Zabuza expy. I went to the BG boards because there is a great thread which stats many character from the series in nice, believable way (though some of the builds are epic ones :smalleek: Sasori is a freaking CR 28!!!); but I was a little disappointed with Zabuza's build:

Ranger 1/Wilder 4/Slayer 7/Psychic Assassin 8 (the one from the Mind's eye articlele); which while respectable I am sure I can do better, the answer obviously being an ardent.

With just changing the the Wilder levels for Ardent ones, and selecting Practiced Manifester as a feat, we can have up to level 9 powers!.

The problem is that with just 4 levels of Ardent I would only have two mantles to choose powers from, but then after seeing some of the feat selection (Monkey Grip for the Host sake!!!!) I figured out I could shuffle the feats a bit to get the tasty tasty Tap mantle feat which would gain me access to another mantle.

TL;DR I want to make Zabuza using ardent as my primary psionic class, please help to make it even better (plus a few rambles of my thought process).

Here is my revised Zabuza build (any resemblance to the original one by Radical Taoist is NOT coincedental)

Human Ranger 1/Ardent 4/Slayer 7/Psychic Assassin 8
1 Hidden Talent (Dimensional Slide)
Human: Mental Leap
Ranger Track
3 Tap Mantle (Elemental Mantle: Water)
6 Darkstalker
9 Practiced Manifester (Ardent)
12 Psionic Meditation
15 Ability Focus (Death Attack)
18 ...open

Now to get the Powers to represent Zabuza's Jutsu I would need to tinker with the mantles... a lot, so here is where you guys come in, please help me. I would be using the Substitute powers ACF in the Mind's Eye.

Here are my ideas so far

Water Jutsu/Water Elemental Mantle
Water Mantle

Granted Ability: When you are psionically focused, you gain a swim speed equal to your base land speed.

1 Float [A]: You can buoy yourself in water or other liquid.
1 Control Object (Water): Telekinetically animate a small amount of water or ice.
2 Body Equilibrium: You can walk on nonsolid surfaces.
3 Energy (Ice) Lance[A]: Water Element: Water Dragon Blast
3Energy (Ice) Cone: Water Element: Grand Waterfall Technique
4 Energy (Ice)Ball[A]: Touch deals 5d6 cold damage to foe.Water Cannonball - Energy Ball: Cold
5 Energy (Ice) Current [A]: Deal 9d6 cold damage to one foe and half to another foe as long as you concentrate.
6 Breath of the Black Dragon [A]: Breathe acid for 11d6 damage.
8 True Metabolism: You regenerate 10 hit points/round.

Conflict Mantle (this one is OK, but if you think there are powers that might help me and could go in this one, please tell me)

New Mantle: Assassin Mantle (obviously my creation, I still need to talk to my DM but I think I can convince him)

Control Light
Concealing Amorpha
Entangling Ectoplasm
Hustle
Greater Concealing Amorpha
Throw Ectoform (hyperconcious)
Control Sound
Inconsistent Location
Teleinetic Maneuver
Psionic Dimension Door

I think that is all. Thanks in advance

Fable Wright
2011-02-16, 12:11 AM
Just a sidenote: The ice current attack could be the water votex jutsu he used in the series. Other than that, the build looks great! Perhaps snag Expanded Knowledge as your level 18 feat; there are a lot of good powers out there for the taking. Or leadership, for the cohort.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-16, 10:57 AM
Hmm thanks; but as I said the original build was Radical Taoist, I just took his framework for my nefarious own needs :smallcool:

You are right about the Energy Current; but I want it a bit earlier.

Also what do you think would be a good granted power for the assassination mantle? I was considering getting a bonus (type to be decided) equal to half manifester level to Hide and Move Silently.