PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) useful wizard spells

Goonthegoof
2011-02-16, 12:02 AM
Due to interesting circumstances I am going to be allowed to scribe 20 spells of any level from any class's spell list to my spellbook and cast them, even if they're of banned schools.

I banned the necromancy, evocation and enchantment schools. What spells would a wizard in my position want?

On the list already is heal, contingency, true domination, undermaster and brilliant aura. I can get persistent spell pretty much for free, so good personal spells would be nice.

Strife Warzeal
2011-02-16, 12:11 AM
If you want to get smacked by the DMG, Try to do epic spells. They are technically a spell level on a class spell list.

Though I doubt you will ever get the chance to cast them.

Tvtyrant
2011-02-16, 12:17 AM
Otto's Irresistible Dance
Force Cage
Prismatic Spray
Astral Projection
Energy Drain
Clone

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-16, 12:27 AM
Stormrage, Holy Star, and Wings of Cover would be at the top of my list.

Invoke Magic and Iceberg as well, forget Contingency you can duplicate it with Greater Shadow Evocation. Call Avalanche is also pretty good, if you don't want to spend a 9th level slot on Iceberg.

Destruction if you get a Greater Rod of Chain Spell, secondary targets would have to save at the full DC, success meaning they take half as much damage.

Enervation is pretty good if you can metamagic it up.

Andion Isurand
2011-02-16, 12:37 AM
Given that you can pick from any class list...

Choose Destiny (Races of Destiny) is a great personal spell given you can persist for free. Warp Destiny from the same book can help save you in a tight spot.

Sublime Revelry (Book of Exalted Deeds) is also a nice one to stack with the effects of Starmantle and any spell that grants damage reduction.

Divine Power is always a staple as well to help you tag your targets with touch attacks.

Goonthegoof
2011-02-16, 01:27 AM
Choose destiny is just... wow. Anyway I have some incantatrix, so I picked up quicken, persist, chain and twin. Plus archmage with arcane reach so I could chain reach spells.

And yeah, I'm not going to be trying to get away with epic spells.

Great suggestions, adding forcecage and enervation for sure. Wings of cover is good, but I'm already kind of stressed for swift actions.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-16, 02:26 AM
If you're going to use Enervation, you'll want Split Ray for sure and probably a Rod of Maximize, along with Arcane Thesis for it.

Wings of Cover is an immediate action, it takes up the next swift action you would have gotten. You'll always be able to use it unless you've already used another immediate action before your next turn. You won't be able to use a Quickened spell the next round, but automatically blocking something an opponent spent their entire round trying to do to you is totally worth it. Between that and Abrupt Jaunt you wouldn't be at risk from anything unless you're flat-footed.

Goonthegoof
2011-02-16, 02:31 AM
Yeah, but that's the problem, I already have abrupt jaunt.

Jarian
2011-02-16, 02:34 AM
Wait, wait, wait.

Any class, any level?

Starmantle Cloak (Joy Domain, BoED).
Mystic Shield (Wizard 8(?), SomeObscureSplatThatICan'tRemember)

Combine steps one and two. Disintegrate anything that touches you.

Goonthegoof
2011-02-16, 03:31 AM
There seems to be a theme here- single domain only spells rule :smallbiggrin:

Andion Isurand
2011-02-16, 03:33 AM
Starmantle is already available as a sor/wiz spell of 6th level.

Jarian
2011-02-16, 03:37 AM
Starmantle is already available as a sor/wiz spell of 6th level.

This day just gets better and better!

Coidzor
2011-02-16, 06:01 AM
They're niche, but Mindrape (9th level, I believe it's enchantment) and Animate Dread Warrior (6th level, Unapproachable East, Necromancy) might be worth considering, though it depends on your personal preferences on what you want to be doing. Animate Dread Warrior has an XP cost so it might be better as something you put on a spell-stitched minion/undead familiar as an SLA, so, again, it is niche especially since it doesn't have the utility of, say, animate dead+awaken undead, but it is uncapped control of undead servitors.

Edit: Oh, and you might look at Trapsmith and other such similarly obscure classes with their own spellcasting list, or at least a Chameleon (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8750.0). It's not the most powerful thing, but being able to use a 1st level spell to cast Haste on one's party is a potentially useful thing. Though this depends somewhat on whether you can get a lower level version of a spell you could otherwise get.

...edit2: Animate Objects will allow you to make certain constructs all by yourself without needing a divine caster/bard to help, IIRC. You'll want to doublecheck this if the idea appeals to you at all, of course. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177.0)