PDA

View Full Version : MoonCat's Magnificently Mythopoeic Random Banter #154

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Rawhide
2011-02-23, 10:37 PM
Random rogatory interjection:

Excel document;
Cell text is "'20 boys".
The text field retains the apostrophe before the 20, but in the display below, it hides it. How can I get Excel to acknowledge that '? Variously formatting the cell's "Number" has done nothing.

' is a command in Excel that means "treat cell as text". You can either leave it not showing the ' (sample 1), put in two 's (sample 2) or use a formula to display it (sample 3).

1. '20 Boys
2. ''20 Boys
3. =CHAR(39) & "20 Boys"

rayne_dragon
2011-02-23, 10:37 PM
Religion, Politics, and Reproduction.

Underwear, Justin Beiber and Batman's love life?

Wait... does this mean I'm an aethiest right now? :smalltongue:

Kneenibble
2011-02-23, 11:15 PM
' is a command in Excel that means "treat cell as text". You can either leave it not showing the ' (sample 1), put in two 's (sample 2) or use a formula to display it (sample 3).

1. '20 Boys
2. ''20 Boys
3. =CHAR(39) & "20 Boys"

Aha.
I thank you, sir.

I am not so Excellent as I would like to be.

Amiel
2011-02-24, 01:14 AM
I feel your pain on the first case. For my sister's birthday they filled a van with 8 11 year olds my father and me. I had an Ipod at max volume playing Touhou metal remixes, and yet their voice managed to crawl into my ears and utterly destroy them, 1 and a half hour trip. Never again did any of us get to repeat the endeavour, being my mother the transporter of those spawns in future occasions.

Well, maturity-wise, they were girls. Chronologically, they were a lot older, possibly in their late teens or middle twenties; the shrill, grating nature of their speech was like suffering through a symphony of incredibly long nails longingly scratched across a chalkboard. It was that horrible.

I saw a woman arguing with her reflection in the mirror about politics. It was... interesting, to say the least. They agreed on a lot of things and she seemed to have found a new best friend, and I hope they meet each other again :smallamused:

(Seriously though I hope she found her way to a hospital and hasn't hurt herself)

She could've been practicing for a speech; an impromptu speech, and one that must be delivered with finesse and feeling :smallbiggrin:
It's great that she has a new best friend, that will hopefully also look out for her!

(I definitely agree).

EDIT: Dramatic kitten is dramatic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opGVNLImgw4&feature=player_embedded)

Rettu Skcollob
2011-02-24, 02:30 AM
Wait... does this mean I'm an aethiest right now? :smalltongue:

I like you.

Either that or a solipsist.

ZombyWoof
2011-02-24, 02:40 AM
I think I have to hate you now.

EDIT: On the other hand, Rayne just won an internet.

Icewalker
2011-02-24, 03:05 AM
You ever thrown a surprise party where the 'surprised' person panicked and had a heart attack?

Me neither.

I've always been confused by this ever since I learned about heart attacks in anatomy and got the impression that they gradually begin over the course of several minutes before actually causing any symptoms. Which suggests that a surprise - heart attack doesn't make any sense.

I just now did some (a very small amount of) research online. Looks like there is a thing, presumably the origin of this "boo - gah my heart" idea, involving a surge of stress or hormones of a particular variety weakening or messing with the arteries around the heart. It looks very much like a heart attack in symptoms, but there are some internal differences which oftentimes confuse doctors. People recover from it far faster than from an actual heart attack, but it still can be deadly. So, probably that.

So uh. Still don't throw surprise parties for your grandparents with heart trouble. :smalltongue: It may not technically be a heart attack, but it ain't much better.

ZombyWoof
2011-02-24, 03:08 AM
I... don't get the joke :smallconfused:

Teddy
2011-02-24, 04:37 AM
Um...not necessarily. I can't remember where you're from or what sort of schooling you happen to be participating in at the moment, but at least in a lot of U.S. colleges that I'm aware of, people are graded on a curve, which gives you no information on how well you've learnt the course material, but instead tells you how well you've learnt it compared to the other people in your class. This is a) useless as an indicator of knowledge or competence (but we all know that's not what school's really about, no, school is about getting good grades!), and b) encourages stupid competition. Same thing with class ranks. :smallsigh:

Ah, the bell curve. No, that was abolished long ago here in Sweden, which my location is written as (mum is still angry that she didn't get a top score in German (I think) back in her time when it still was in effect). We're graded based on how we meet a number of criterias, which is a lot better, if still blunt. No, if I had the ability to destroy intangible concepts in a nuclear explosion, the bell curve grading would appear pretty high on my list, as it only premiers morons in a class of bigger morons. :smallannoyed:

Thufir
2011-02-24, 10:07 AM

I am inclined to feel this problem could be solved by you posting here more often, because I miss you when you don't.

@Teddy: 'Criteria' is already the plural of 'criterion', it doesn't need an s on the end.

ION: Weird dream snippet. Most of the dream, as far as I remember, was just ordinary things happening, the kind of dream which could be easily mistaken for memories. But then, at the end, I got a phonecall from Curly. She sounded very happy and enthused as she said "You wrote me a letter! It was-" and then suddenly silence, which I think was because I was waking up.
Slightly frustrating. I kind of want to know what was in this letter that dream-me apparently wrote to her (Though I couldn't remember doing it, even during the dream).

Form
2011-02-24, 10:14 AM
ION: Weird dream snippet. Most of the dream, as far as I remember, was just ordinary things happening, the kind of dream which could be easily mistaken for memories. But then, at the end, I got a phonecall from Curly. She sounded very happy and enthused as she said "You wrote me a letter! It was-" and then suddenly silence, which I think was because I was waking up.
Slightly frustrating. I kind of want to know what was in this letter that dream-me apparently wrote to her (Though I couldn't remember doing it, even during the dream).

Yeah, gotta love how remembering dreams seems to work. If you wake up during the dream you can remember most of it up to that point, but you never got to the ending. If you do get to the ending and finish the dream, you wake up afterwards and don't remember a thing. At least, that's what always happens to me. :smallannoyed:

ZombyWoof
2011-02-24, 11:26 AM
Speaking of dreams, I had one last night where... I was in an english class? But also there was a significant portion of it spent in Vietnam where some tragic things happened. It was very odd, but one of those powerful dreams I love having.

HalfTangible
2011-02-24, 12:25 PM
Yeah, gotta love how remembering dreams seems to work. If you wake up during the dream you can remember most of it up to that point, but you never got to the ending. If you do get to the ending and finish the dream, you wake up afterwards and don't remember a thing. At least, that's what always happens to me. :smallannoyed:

Then how do you remember that you had a dream at all? :smalltongue:

Sometimes my dreams end, but i don't remember any dream that isn't horrifying or awesome.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-24, 12:28 PM
Then how do you remember that you had a dream at all? :smalltongue:

You always dream if you sleep long enough.

HalfTangible
2011-02-24, 12:29 PM
:smallannoyed:

Ok, let me rephrase. How does he know the dreams he doesn't remember ENDED?

Zaydos
2011-02-24, 01:02 PM

I can remember that I had a dream and it ended and nothing else about the dream...

Actually I had two such dreams last night and one that didn't end and was rather depressing. Don't know why it was depressing, just I woke up from it, knew it had made me sad, and went back to sleep.

Form
2011-02-24, 02:21 PM

Well, I guess I don't. I just assume they do.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-24, 05:38 PM

I keep hearing this... Someone get me a reliable article.

Kneenibble
2011-02-24, 05:57 PM
I am inclined to feel this problem could be solved by you posting here more often, because I miss you when you don't.

Ah, Thighfire... why did my progenitors leave their homeland and yours and deprive us of our watch-chained love? If I ever ride an aeroplane back towards the rising sun, would you like to waltz over to 1920s Cambridge together, trousers rolled and flecked with sand, peaches on our breath?

Perhaps the letter in your dream is meant not yet to be written. The dream-future is yours.

ZombyWoof
2011-02-24, 06:04 PM
I keep hearing this... Someone get me a reliable article.

It's not an article, but The University of California at Santa Cruz (http://psychology.ucsc.edu/dreams/FAQ/index.html) has an entire section on dreams. Since the average person over 10 dreams on average 4-6 times per night and many people dream when they are awake, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that "everyone dreams."

EDIT: Further down in that particular page there's a section about people who have undergone significant head trauma. Apparently you can kill off the section of your brain that dreams :smalleek:

KuReshtin
2011-02-24, 06:33 PM
SANDWICH CAKE!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYBkDxao3wg)
Was also mentioned in Scandinavia and the world (http://satwcomic.com/exotic-food) comic.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-24, 08:30 PM
Was also mentioned in Scandinavia and the world (http://satwcomic.com/exotic-food) comic.

niice. i loved the american part at the end.

it's something i would totally do

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-24, 09:10 PM

Heh, heh, I know a lot of people who would do that.

Thufir
2011-02-24, 09:30 PM
Ah, Thighfire... why did my progenitors leave their homeland and yours and deprive us of our watch-chained love? If I ever ride an aeroplane back towards the rising sun, would you like to waltz over to 1920s Cambridge together, trousers rolled and flecked with sand, peaches on our breath?

Sounds good to me. Though, 1920s Cambridge? Might be difficult, the time machine is presenting difficulties.
Conversely, of course, you're definitely on my list of people to visit if I get round to crossing the Atlantic and wandering around the continent. It's unfortunate that not many of the people on that list live that close together.

Perhaps the letter in your dream is meant not yet to be written. The dream-future is yours.

Like, the dream is prophetic?
I once had a dream which I really hoped was prophetic at the time (It seemed not entirely implausible, because the events were realistic and it was pretty vivid). It wasn't. Well, I suppose there could still be opportunities for the dream events to happen, but it looks unlikely at present.
Of course, if Curly becomes aware of the dream, it may be less likely she would then respond to the hypothetical future letter as she did in my dream, as she would be aware of the possibility.
Hmm.

Oh, ION: First night of The Grand Duke went well. I succeeded in getting a sound out of my trumpet all 3 times. Though my Herald costume causes me to overheat massively, especially when I'm being kicked across the stage.

Teddy
2011-02-24, 10:22 PM
A quarter past 4 in the morning and I'm back in Sweden again. Not especially surprising, there's a lot of snow and its cold. The temperature has dropped ~50 C since Banjul(hu). Now we'll just have to grab our baggage and drive home.

Also, I slept nothing at all on the flight and I probably won't sleep in the car either, which means that I won't get to sleep any time before 5 o'clock, and probably later still.

EDIT:
Fully dressed in light winter garb and the winter seems pretty less intimidating.

ION:
Buggy phone web browser is buggy. Actually, this whole machine is more or less full with fun or just plain annoying bugs. *sigh* :smallannoyed:

IOON:
Seems I'll have to catch up on both ROSMT and SatW...

EDIT 2:
Home... Bed...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-24, 10:28 PM
Springing the surprise birthday party tomorrow. Exciiiiitiiiing. :smallamused:

Amiel
2011-02-25, 12:14 AM
I had a rather eventful noon-event; while I was sprinting, my right leg apparently decided to stage a mutiny and locked up. My body dropped like a lead-weight. Alas that momentum propelled me forward. Apparently one can indeed "glide" upon concrete.
I'm pretty bruised up, and superficially worse for wear. But my wounds don't hurt as much as they should.
On the bright side, I made friends with concrete and have a goodly amount of band-aids.

ZombyWoof
2011-02-25, 03:37 AM
Someone cute flirt with me!

... tomorrow. I have to go to bed so I can wake up and go to work. Oh wait, then after work I have draft.

Flirt with me saturday evening :smallfrown:

Zaydos
2011-02-25, 03:45 AM
I had a rather eventful noon-event; while I was sprinting, my right leg apparently decided to stage a mutiny and locked up. My body dropped like a lead-weight. Alas that momentum propelled me forward. Apparently one can indeed "glide" upon concrete.
I'm pretty bruised up, and superficially worse for wear. But my wounds don't hurt as much as they should.
On the bright side, I made friends with concrete and have a goodly amount of band-aids.

My knee hurts just thinking about it...

I also want to run, but I have a cough/cold at the moment :smallannoyed:

KuReshtin
2011-02-25, 05:12 AM

Just remember. Chicks dig scars.

Castaras
2011-02-25, 09:55 AM

Love that comic. :smallbiggrin:

I need to try that cake thing someday. It looks like it wouldnt be half bad.

KuReshtin
2011-02-25, 10:04 AM
Love that comic. :smallbiggrin:

I need to try that cake thing someday. It looks like it wouldnt be half bad.

It's actually very good. It's used as a main meal type thing, though, so don't expect to use it for dessert.:smallwink:

Edit: People tend to get very creative with the decorating of the Smörgåstårta when they make it.
I thought I'd post a few pictures, but instead I'll just link to the Google image search (http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1440&bih=676&q=sm%C3%B6rg%C3%A5st%C3%A5rta&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=) so you can see for yourselves.

Fredaintdead
2011-02-25, 10:08 AM
It's actually very good. It's used as a main meal type thing, though, so don't expect to use it for dessert.:smallwink:

Edit: People tend to get very creative with the decorating of the Smörgåstårta when they make it.
I thought I'd post a few pictures, but instead I'll just link to the Google image search (http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1440&bih=676&q=sm%C3%B6rg%C3%A5st%C3%A5rta&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=) so you can see for yourselves.

Woah... that's a lot of cake... and a lot of decoration.

KuReshtin
2011-02-25, 10:33 AM
Woah... that's a lot of cake... and a lot of decoration.

It's Good For You!

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-25, 01:04 PM
Someone cute flirt with me!

... tomorrow. I have to go to bed so I can wake up and go to work. Oh wait, then after work I have draft.

Flirt with me saturday evening :smallfrown:

avocado used Flirt
soooo,

come here often?

Charity
2011-02-25, 01:58 PM
hey Kur fancy a game of PR?

TwoBitWriter
2011-02-25, 02:15 PM
Tell me a non sequitur.

"So after his arm fell off, I ran off to place a bet on Little Dixie. Lesson learned, never leave home without your hat!"

Dr. Bath
2011-02-25, 02:19 PM
Life is a series of cans. Eat them with rust as a condiment.

Fredaintdead
2011-02-25, 02:19 PM
Tell me a non sequitur.

"So after his arm fell off, I ran off to place a bet on Little Dixie. Lesson learned, never leave home without your hat!"

"Today I was walking down the road, and I tripped over a rock. So then I thought, well, I should really eat more vegetables."

I don't have a good grasp on Non Sequiturs, but at least there's Wikipedia. :smallbiggrin:

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-25, 02:23 PM

DR. BAAAAAAATTTHHHH!!!

I haven't seen you in a bajillion years! Wowwowwowwowwowwow I'm so unbelievably happy right now, how are things!

*poof!s away to the essay mountain*
It is steep and as big as a very big thing indeed.

TwoBitWriter
2011-02-25, 02:26 PM
I think Dr. Bath was out searching for Squid bones :smalltongue:

I half-expected you, Curly, to scold me at posting what wasn't technically a non sequitur. I mean, maybe I actually got it right. :smallamused:

Dr. Bath
2011-02-25, 02:27 PM
Y'alright. Been busy failing exams, training for a charity walk etc. Things are alright in general though. Got two gigs to go to tomorrow and computing project in soon but things aint too bad really.

How's oxfordland? Still arright? Kick those essays right inna fork.

@Twobit: Fjords are a crossed at a grim man's peril.

Zaydos
2011-02-25, 02:52 PM
I was talking to my candy and I said "It's wondrously humid today." The zombie bit my arm and walked off.

@Twobit: Fjords are a crossed at a grim man's peril.

Makes me think of Odin.

Fredaintdead
2011-02-25, 03:42 PM
I was talking to my candy and I said "It's wondrously humid today." The zombie bit my arm and walked off.

Makes me think of Odin.

Odin is badass. But Thor is even better... because he's Thor. :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2011-02-25, 03:44 PM
hey Kur fancy a game of PR?

Always. :smallbiggrin:

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-25, 04:02 PM
I think Dr. Bath was out searching for Squid bones :smalltongue:

I half-expected you, Curly, to scold me at posting what wasn't technically a non sequitur. I mean, maybe I actually got it right. :smallamused:

Haven't been keeping up with this thread. Literally saw Bath's name as 'most recent post in FB', fangirled out and posted hello.
After checking it's not a true non-sequiter as it's possible it's related to the previous sentence.
And then my cat sneezed. Starlight tastes like ozone.

Y'alright. Been busy failing exams, training for a charity walk etc. Things are alright in general though. Got two gigs to go to tomorrow and computing project in soon but things ain't too bad really.

How's oxfordland? Still arright? Kick those essays right inna fork.

Essays are being kicked inna fork left, right and centre at a ridiculous pace these past few weeks.
But about this charity walk, what's it for and how does one go about sponsoring a certain person for said walk?
Hope you enjoy your gigs tomorrow, who's performing? Shame about the project though, I'mma gone have one of those next term. Arghleblargh.
Oh hey, I went all dialectal there.

Zaydos
2011-02-25, 04:13 PM

Well of course. Thor is guardian of Midgard after all and almost beat old age in a wrestling match :smallbiggrin:

Dr. Bath
2011-02-25, 05:06 PM
Essays are being kicked inna fork left, right and centre at a ridiculous pace these past few weeks.
But about this charity walk, what's it for and how does one go about sponsoring a certain person for said walk?
Hope you enjoy your gigs tomorrow, who's performing? Shame about the project though, I'mma gone have one of those next term. Arghleblargh.
Oh hey, I went all dialectal there.

Good good that is the right attitude to take. It's 55 miles in 24 hours for the sailing trust I volunteer for. GONNA BE SO FUN. On the topic of sponsorship... Just send me money, that's fine :smallbiggrin:

It's James Blake and Mogwai, both of whom are amazing and great (also pretty good)

You're going to have a computing project??? What has oxford come to.

ION: I've always been partial to Balder... swoon! So dreamy!

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-25, 05:11 PM

i don't know why, but i've always preferred loki

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-25, 05:15 PM
Good good that is the right attitude to take. It's 55 miles in 24 hours for the sailing trust I volunteer for. GONNA BE SO FUN. On the topic of sponsorship... Just send me money, that's fine :smallbiggrin:

Sweetness. Is it good to send to your home address? Don't know your uni one. Speaking of, I've been meaning to email you for months about this, but I keep forgetting: have you finished up with Neverwhere yet?
I have a need for reading about some Underground antics.

It's James Blake and Mogwai, both of whom are amazing and great (also pretty good)

Never heard of them (except as in the adorable little balls of cute from Gremlins), what they do?
I envy people who can go to concerts thrown by their favourite bands. Why are all mind disbanded or dead?

You're going to have a computing project??? What has oxford come to.

Weeeellllll, not exactly computing, I don't do no Computer Sciences degree, but I do have a project that involves using a computer. That close enough?
The projects actually going to be on Something involving The History of the English Language. All of it.
I'm excited!

Pardon my eloquence, but buh?

Fredaintdead
2011-02-25, 05:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken, he's the one whose death got Loki thrown out of Asgard. And if I'm even less mistaken, he's one of the few Norse gods to survive Ragnarok (well, technically he gets reborn, but still).

Eruantion
2011-02-25, 05:26 PM
So, I have to write a paper in English about a time when I didn't make the cut for something, be it a team or a job or whatever. The only problem is I've never been cut from anything. Not to brag, it's just I never do anything that I might get cut from... :smallannoyed:

Dr. Bath
2011-02-25, 06:10 PM
@^ Pretend you entered the space program but failed at the last hurdle, when they checked your age. Just make sure no one can invalidate your claims.

You are not mistaken, Fred! Although some sagas tell that Loki didn't actually mean to kill Balder. He just thought Hod being angry was hilarious (protip: it was)

Sweetness. Is it good to send to your home address? Don't know your uni one. Speaking of, I've been meaning to email you for months about this, but I keep forgetting: have you finished up with Neverwhere yet?
I have a need for reading about some Underground antics.

Never heard of them (except as in the adorable little balls of cute from Gremlins), what they do?
I envy people who can go to concerts thrown by their favourite bands. Why are all mind disbanded or dead?

Weeeellllll, not exactly computing, I don't do no Computer Sciences degree, but I do have a project that involves using a computer. That close enough?
The projects actually going to be on Something involving The History of the English Language. All of it.
I'm excited!

Pardon my eloquence, but buh?

Ooops! Yeah I'll send it back when I'm home for easter (if you send my your address again, since I lost it...). You could send it to my new address here at uni instead. Might be better.

Mogwai are post-noise-rockers from Glasgow and are amazing. James Blake is the hot new thing this year with his apparently 'post-dub' bass and haunting vocals (Personally I think it's more structuralist electronica, but I'm no music journalist! I don't name the genres)

You should probably try liking some newer stuff then, music continued after the 80s you know :smalltongue: There's loads of good stuff about if you're willing to get out there. Not sure how great the oxford music scene is though...

Sure that'll do. Whatevs! Sounds pretty interesting.

Balder was the norse god who was so pretty that all things (bar mistletoe) swore to never hurt him. Guess what eventually killed him...

Heliomance
2011-02-25, 06:44 PM
So I've spent the evening talking in a higher register than normal due to playing a female character in D&D. now my voice has stuck like this. My housemates find it incredibly creepy.

Moonshadow
2011-02-25, 07:03 PM
So, I've come to the conclusion that if you assume that people in the Pokemon world eat Pokemon as their meat source (considering that we don't see any other animals apart from Pokemon), that the reason that Gyarados are so goddamn angry all the time is that they're severely pissed off at the humans for eating the Magikarp.

Of course, if people do eat Pokemon, Ash is well prepped for nuclear winter, seeing as he has a buttload of Tauros...

Eruantion
2011-02-25, 07:50 PM
@^ Pretend you entered the space program but failed at the last hurdle, when they checked your age. Just make sure no one can invalidate your claims.

While this would be a great idea in a different class, my teacher is the kind of person who wouldn't take that so lightly.. :smallsigh:

Rawhide
2011-02-25, 07:52 PM
So, I've come to the conclusion that if you assume that people in the Pokemon world eat Pokemon as their meat source (considering that we don't see any other animals apart from Pokemon), that the reason that Gyarados are so goddamn angry all the time is that they're severely pissed off at the humans for eating the Magikarp.

Of course, if people do eat Pokemon, Ash is well prepped for nuclear winter, seeing as he has a buttload of Tauros...

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=282

Thufir
2011-02-25, 08:00 PM

Bath! You came back!
I'm not going to try and match Curly's level of enthusiasm, but it's good to see you.

I disagree. Odin is by far the coolest non-Playground deity ever.

Haven't been keeping up with this thread. Literally saw Bath's name as 'most recent post in FB', fangirled out and posted hello.

You know, sometimes I envy people who get these reactions from you. But then, the only way to elicit such a reaction would require me to leave the Playground for a while and then come back, so it's unlikely to ever happen.

ION: Grand Duke went even better tonight. And then a great many inappropriate comments were made at the pub. Last night is gonna be really great!

Perenelle
2011-02-25, 08:44 PM
:smallsigh: I have a pretty big audition tomorrow that I'm really not ready for. I'm getting nervous and dreading it already...:smallfrown:

ION: My kitty cat is sleeping on my arm and It's adorable.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-25, 08:56 PM
Balder was the norse god who was so pretty that all things (bar mistletoe) swore to never hurt him. Guess what eventually killed him...

Loki's mischeif?

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-25, 09:51 PM
Loki's mischeif?

Why yes, in fact. He got [insert blind god who I can't remember's name here] to throw a pointy mistletoe stick at Balder.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-25, 09:58 PM
Further down in that particular page there's a section about people who have undergone significant head trauma. Apparently you can kill off the section of your brain that dreams :smalleek:

I wonder if I could get that done surgically...

avocado used Flirt

It was super effective!

Why yes, in fact. He got [insert blind god who I can't remember's name here] to throw a pointy mistletoe stick at Balder.

Tyr? No, that's not right...

ION: ... Ah, HS melodrama... Kids are so cruel, it's a vicious cycle.

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-25, 10:15 PM
Tyr? No, that's not right...

No, Tyr was the one-handed god of war. It was Hod who Loki caused to kill Balder.

Moonshadow
2011-02-25, 10:37 PM
No, Tyr was the one-handed god of war. It was Hod who Loki caused to kill Balder.

And Tyr was only one handed because everyone was scared of Fenrir =/

ZombyWoof
2011-02-26, 02:33 AM
avocado used Flirt
soooo,

come here often?
Too soon, wait 20 hours.

Pentachoron
2011-02-26, 02:49 AM

And then screwed them out of resurrecting Balder too.

Zaydos
2011-02-26, 05:15 AM
I missed Norse myth time?

I just got done with a ~8 hour D&D session so it was worth it. They fought elves, wolf-ogres, and the brood of Ungoliant. The last in the name of Tyr One-Hand. Because the DM (me :smallbiggrin:) is a Norse myth geek and uses Thor (changing Thor's Hall into really Valhalla despite its completely different nature of people who went there), Odin, Tyr, Loki, Frey, Freyja, and possibly Baldur (he's "missing" because it's a sad world). Oh yeah and they met their affably evil new employer the Mad Duke (and cleric of Tzeentch) of the Elves, one of the last two of the "1st Generation" along with the King, and holder of the Emerald Die (or Die of Fate).

The Aesir were all a little cruel as shown in the legend of Fenrir when Tyr's hand is bit off. In several versions (don't have my Prose Edda on me atm or I'd see if that is one of them) the Aesir specifically laugh at Tyr for it. Did I mention I think Tyr was made of awesome. Although apparently I also cross his priesthood with Arthurian Knights and make him the god of paladins.

ION: Anybody know the source of Loki's enmity to the gods? Here's a hint: Blame the dwarves.

Loki was trying to cheat some dwarves. It ended with him betting his head that these items he'd gotten dwarves to make for him were better. The Aesir judged and Loki lost (thanks to Mjolnir) and so they said the dwarves got his head. Loki argued they didn't get his neck and the Aesir agreed, but they let the dwarves sew Loki's mouth shut. Then he swore revenge.

Coidzor
2011-02-26, 06:44 AM
Dr. Bath is alive! Calooy, Calay! Fraptious Day and all that jazz. :smallbiggrin:

Still a bit conflicted that it's a friend deciding to sleep on his back when he knows he snores when he does that led to the revelation making its way to me though.

Gah this stuff makes it hard to sleep. Like fingernails on chalkboard....

Dallas-Dakota
2011-02-26, 07:33 AM
So I haven't shaved for a week.
I've been getting comments about ''my mustache'', which I apparently now have.

''You have a mustache? o.0''
''It makes you look more adult''
'''No dude, shave it!''

Are among the commentaries.
So this pretty much just came about through well...lazyness.

Thus my question to you is, let it stand, yes no?

And yes, a picture is too much to ask.

Borgh
2011-02-26, 08:25 AM
So I haven't shaved for a week.
I've been getting comments about ''my mustache'', which I apparently now have.

''You have a mustache? o.0''
''It makes you look more adult''
'''No dude, shave it!''

Are among the commentaries.
So this pretty much just came about through well...lazyness.

Thus my question to you is, let it stand, yes no?

ah laziness, you wonderfull creator of facial hair.

the question is: if you look in the mirror do you think "Why hello there, you handsome stranger" or "stand back I have pepperspray!"

Thufir
2011-02-26, 08:26 AM

Then an opinion is too much to expect.

Form
2011-02-26, 09:43 AM

Then we can't judge whether it looks good or bad. In that case you'll just have to stare at yourself in the mirror for a while and decide for yourself.

Rettu Skcollob
2011-02-26, 10:02 AM

It's cool, I'm a master of REMOTE VIEWING

OOOoooOOOEeeeeOEoeooeOEEEEEeeooooo.

Oh wait, no I'm not. But yeah, I'm in the same boat, people in the You thread think I should shave it, but then I think I would look too girly, people have stopped mistaking me for a girl sometimes, at least.

Thufir
2011-02-26, 10:10 AM
people in the You thread think I should shave it,

Really? :smallconfused:

Fine I'll go shave. =P

@^ NO DON'T

I believe you have rather misrepresented the people in the You thread.

Fredaintdead
2011-02-26, 01:51 PM
Really? :smallconfused:

I believe you have rather misrepresented the people in the You thread.

Unless of course that was reverse psychology. Perhaps it is all an elaborate ruse. An illusion of sorts.

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-26, 03:24 PM
Man, I wish I had more money I could use. I'm not trying to be selfish or anything, but I don't have any money to give to charities I want to support :smallsigh::smallfrown:

I might have to *gulp* get a... a...

A job :smalleek:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-26, 03:32 PM
I just spent all my money on preparations for my best friends surprise party, which was, btw, a success.

However, the two other people planning spent twice as much as me each, so yeah.

CrimsonAngel
2011-02-26, 04:05 PM
A Justin Bieber came on at lunch the other day... It wasn't that bad...

MoonCat
2011-02-26, 04:08 PM
Blah. Just spent part of my morning carefully fitting hundreds of my parents dusty cassettes into tiny wooden slots. And I'm pretty sure my cat peed on them as well. :smallyuk::smallyuk::smallyuk:

Haruki-kun
2011-02-26, 04:58 PM
Blah. Just spent part of my morning carefully fitting hundreds of my parents dusty cassettes into tiny wooden slots. And I'm pretty sure my cat peed on them as well. :smallyuk::smallyuk::smallyuk:

Cassettes.... I hate those things. <.< CDs should have been invented earlier. :smalltongue:

ION: Today I discovered there's cooking classes in my building's kitchen. Which is great, unless you want to have breakfast on a saturday. :smallsigh:

KuReshtin
2011-02-26, 05:03 PM
Cassettes.... I hate those things. <.< CDs should have been invented earlier. :smalltongue:

I still have a cassette player in my car. No CD player.
I have to manage by using one of those Cassette -> audio jack converter that I connect to an MP3 player/my phone.
It can be a bit of a pain in the neck at some points.

I don't think I've actually used a cassette since about 1999.

Teddy
2011-02-26, 05:48 PM
Still a bit conflicted that it's a friend deciding to sleep on his back when he knows he snores when he does that led to the revelation making its way to me though.

Gah this stuff makes it hard to sleep. Like fingernails on chalkboard....

Gently turn his head to the side, or just pull his pillow to do it. Hopefully it'll do the trick. At least it works on my brother.

MoonCat
2011-02-26, 06:03 PM
I have to manage by using one of those Cassette -> audio jack converter that I connect to an MP3 player/my phone.

Our old car had a cassette player, although we never used all the cassettes I had to replace this morning. We got a new car about two years ago, and that one connects to people's iPods. The only cassette my family has actually used in the last five years was 'Magical Mystery Tour' and that was barely within the time limit.

ION: I'm going to be in Portland for four days, house hunting. s/Whoopee!/s

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-26, 06:47 PM

sheila used to have a cassette player. i used to have an adapter that i could plug into it and use my m93 player on it.

but now she has a modern radio

Dallas-Dakota
2011-02-26, 06:48 PM
1. Bring half a bottle of pisang ambong(liquor)
2. Fun night with friends and new friends.
3.Host insists you take home a package of special beers, costing more then the bottle of Pisang. You do so.
4. ???
5. Profit!

Also fine, I will poste a pic on monday with facial hair, and one without.

KuReshtin
2011-02-26, 06:53 PM
sheila used to have a cassette player. i used to have an adapter that i could plug into it and use my m93 player on it.

but now she has a modern radio

I'm not too fussed about it. It makes things a bit annoying at times, but at other times, it's great.
When I've got my phone plugged into the stereo, it doubles as handsfree, which means that the call gets routed to the speakers in the car.
Very handy.
Also, it makes things easier with the Sat nav application on the phone as that gets routed to the car speakers as well.

Coidzor
2011-02-26, 06:57 PM
1. Bring half a bottle of pisang ambong(liquor)
2. Fun night with friends and new friends.
3.Host insists you take home a package of special beers, costing more then the bottle of Pisang. You do so.
4. ???
5. Profit!

That reminds me. I just tried some Hoegarden white beer last night. The labels were blue and between that and being Belgian, they made me think of you, DD. And yes, you too, Eadin. :P

KuReshtin
2011-02-26, 07:08 PM
That reminds me. I just tried some Hoegarden white beer last night. The labels were blue and between that and being Belgian, they made me think of you, DD. And yes, you too, Eadin. :P

Even if DD is Dutch? :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-02-26, 07:12 PM

Yeah, but he's talked about Belgians enough. And the important thing is the blue, really.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-26, 07:49 PM
Man, I wish I had more money I could use. I'm not trying to be selfish or anything, but I don't have any money to give to charities I want to support :smallsigh::smallfrown:

I might have to *gulp* get a... a...

A job :smalleek:

Meh, jobs aren't bad. Getting a good one at 15 may be a problem though...

Haruki-kun
2011-02-26, 09:34 PM
If you watched Inception, watch this. (http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1939234)

I couldn't stop laughing.

CrimsonAngel
2011-02-26, 10:18 PM
I just watched The Eagle. I loved it.

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-26, 11:11 PM
Meh, jobs aren't bad. Getting a good one at 15 may be a problem though...

Yeah, I think that the closest I'll be able to get to an actual job for a while would be the computer science internship I'm going to applying for for junior year.

Pentachoron
2011-02-26, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I think that the closest I'll be able to get to an actual job for a while would be the computer science internship I'm going to applying for for junior year.

Try to snag a job working at a movie theater. I've worked at various ones for longer than I'd care to admit, the pay isn't amazing, but they're typically a pretty cush job.

Rawhide
2011-02-26, 11:20 PM
Libraries are good too. The pay isn't that great, but they let employees borrow any book for free.

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-26, 11:27 PM
Try to snag a job working at a movie theater. I've worked at various ones for longer than I'd care to admit, the pay isn't amazing, but they're typically a pretty cush job.

Libraries are good too. The pay isn't that great, but they let employees borrow any book for free.

Well whatever job I get, I'm probably only be getting a summer job. Too much stuff going on in school. Especially in 2 years, when I'll be taking 3 AP classes at once :smalleek: Going to need lots of time for studying then.

Teddy
2011-02-27, 03:16 AM

Wait a minute... Isn't the point of libraries that you can borrow books for free as long as you return them in due time? Or is that just the Swedish system? :smallconfused:

ZombyWoof
2011-02-27, 03:21 AM
Gently turn his head to the side, or just pull his pillow to do it. Hopefully it'll do the trick. At least it works on my brother.
Take his pillow and cover his face with it. Voila, no more snoring!

Rawhide
2011-02-27, 03:22 AM
Wait a minute... Isn't the point of libraries that you can borrow books for free as long as you return them in due time? Or is that just the Swedish system? :smallconfused:

:smallwink:

Asta Kask
2011-02-27, 04:56 AM
Menopause relief. (http://thesciencebit.net/2011/02/22/menopause-relief-do-not-use-if-pregnant/)

Do not use if pregnant. :smallconfused:

Pentachoron
2011-02-27, 05:00 AM
Menopause relief. (http://thesciencebit.net/2011/02/22/menopause-relief-do-not-use-if-pregnant/)

I kinda want to see what'll happen if someone tries.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-27, 09:36 AM

No, but Libraries usually hound you if you don't get them back in time... Maybe he means you can have them for a longer time.

Mattos: This is why knowing people is good. Get something part time. I work 2 days (and on those days I'm working about 2 hours) a MONTH, and earn 30$. It's good enough for me.

Rawhide
2011-02-27, 09:40 AM
No, but Libraries usually hound you if you don't get them back in time... Maybe he means you can have them for a longer time.

Nope. It was a joke guys!

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-27, 09:42 AM
Nope.

Then what on Earth DO you mean? :smallconfused:

EDIT: Oh. I see. :smallwink:

Rawhide
2011-02-27, 09:46 AM
Then what on Earth DO you mean? :smallconfused:

Well, libraries are actually great places to work. If he can get a part time job at one, it would be a good idea.

SMEE
2011-02-27, 10:26 AM

A valid warning.
That thing contains either estrogen or progesterone, neither of which a pregnant woman should be taking.

Archonic Energy
2011-02-27, 10:29 AM

i thought he was german... :smallamused:
*hide*

Coidzor
2011-02-27, 10:31 AM
A valid warning.
That thing contains either estrogen or progesterone, neither of which a pregnant woman should be taking.

A pregnant woman shouldn't be taking things for treating menopause in the first place though because they're mutually exclusive conditions.

Seems like the one thing the blog didn't think of was that the company thought women were idiots.

Haruki-kun
2011-02-27, 01:26 PM
The irony's pretty funny, but they just do it to cover themselves from legal problems.

And yes, companies tend to think customers are idiots. I bought a pack of tortillas that had a sign on the front warning me to not eat the plastic bag. They're just worried that we might be idiots with lawyers.

Fredaintdead
2011-02-27, 02:12 PM
The irony's pretty funny, but they just do it to cover themselves from legal problems.

And yes, companies tend to think customers are idiots. I bought a pack of tortillas that had a sign on the front warning me to not eat the plastic bag. They're just worried that we might be idiots with lawyers.

That's nothing compared to the knives with "Keep out of children" written on them.

Yes, I'm totally serious.

HalfTangible
2011-02-27, 02:25 PM
That's nothing compared to the knives with "Keep out of children" written on them.

On roll on deodorant: "Do not apply this to your eyes."

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-02-27, 02:47 PM
One is, then, allowed to keep a knife in an adult, particularly an adult one is not fond of? :smallamused:

Form
2011-02-27, 02:59 PM

Does finding that hilarious make me a bad person? :smalltongue:

Teddy
2011-02-27, 03:09 PM

I generally see myself as a good guy, and I found that very so.

Fredaintdead
2011-02-27, 03:17 PM

Nah, I've got an entire book filled with silly signs like that.

For example
"Drive carefully. We have two cemeteries and no hospital." on a road sign.

OR
"Do not place your phone inside a microwave oven. This may damage your phone and the oven." on the instructions for a mobile phone.

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-27, 04:16 PM
So are the companies the idiots, or do they think we are?

KuReshtin
2011-02-27, 04:35 PM

A lot of the warnings on these things are so specific, that you can't but wonder if they've been put there because at some point someone's been stupid enough to do what the labels warn them about.

Like the label on a chainsaw:
"Do not try to stop the moving chain using your hands or genitalia."

MoonCat
2011-02-27, 04:42 PM
Weird thing. The person who sleeps on a hotel room floor will be the one who gains control over many perks in the room. I have nabbed the electric socket by putting my entire body along that wall, taken the desk by putting my head at it's base (so can now keep my stuff in where one usually puts your legs), and the mirror, by sleeping under it. Also, since everyone is guilt that I had to sleep on the floor, I've commandeered three pillows. Whee!

Rawhide
2011-02-27, 04:57 PM
Top 5 worst comic book superheroes, by Neil Gaiman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOXSMvTqAbw)

Zaydos
2011-02-27, 05:01 PM
On the knife one I have to wonder where it got its label made. When I was studying abroad I saw several examples and I never actively looked for them like some of all my friends. It was a country where they had 8 years of English by high school and are apparently better at reading/writing than speaking it (which I can believe as the same was true for me) and farmers can converse with me in (albeit limited) English (I conversed with them brokenly in their language it was the most efficient form of communication we had). Yet simple signs were messed up. I really think they just didn't care enough.

Pentachoron
2011-02-27, 05:07 PM

People are quite litigious, it typically is just a case of the company protecting itself from a lawsuit more than anything. Rarely is there actually a real case of the warning having happened, but they pretty well will specify exactly how not to use the product so that the end user can't be a complete idiot and then get bajillions of whatever currency is used in whatever country it's happening in.

Fredaintdead
2011-02-27, 05:07 PM
Top 5 worst comic book superheroes, by Neil Gaiman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOXSMvTqAbw)

That was hilarious. Hero Machine was used to create those if I'm not mistaken.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-27, 05:46 PM
Weird thing. The person who sleeps on a hotel room floor will be the one who gains control over many perks in the room. I have nabbed the electric socket by putting my entire body along that wall, taken the desk by putting my head at it's base (so can now keep my stuff in where one usually puts your legs), and the mirror, by sleeping under it. Also, since everyone is guilt that I had to sleep on the floor, I've commandeered three pillows. Whee!

Or, you could, you know, get a room to yourself.

Dr. Bath
2011-02-27, 06:30 PM
Gimme a single word.

Gonna draw it.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-27, 06:32 PM
Ventricles.

Yep. What are those anyway?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-02-27, 06:32 PM
Spud.
Extra characters.

Zaydos
2011-02-27, 06:33 PM
Dignity. Nobility Freedom Order Kindness Devastation

Dr. Bath
2011-02-27, 06:34 PM
Order it is. Results may or may not be posted.

Thufir
2011-02-27, 06:53 PM
Ventricles.

Yep. What are those anyway?

Part of the heart. Can't remember more specifically than that.

smellie_hippie
2011-02-27, 07:00 PM
So anybody browsing the thread available to help with a virus infected laptop?

Zaydos
2011-02-27, 07:01 PM
So anybody browsing the thread available to help with a virus infected laptop?

Not good with computers, but what kind of virus?

smellie_hippie
2011-02-27, 07:14 PM
Not good with computers, but what kind of virus?

Dunno what kind. Booting brings up a blue screen with binary numbers in the background and a BIG RED WARNING that says his computer is infected. But then it runs a scan that he didn't install and encourages us to put in credit card info to update anti-virus software.

I downloaded hitman pro and malwarebytes to try and correct the issue, but they will not run from his infected background.

Zaydos
2011-02-27, 07:29 PM
Dunno what kind. Booting brings up a blue screen with binary numbers in the background and a BIG RED WARNING that says his computer is infected. But then it runs a scan that he didn't install and encourages us to put in credit card info to update anti-virus software.

I downloaded hitman pro and malwarebytes to try and correct the issue, but they will not run from his infected background.

That sounds bad. I'd say try starting in safe mode and running a virus program then (I had a fake anti-virus and had to start in safe mode download malwarebytes and run it), but like I said I'm bad with computers.

Flickerdart
2011-02-27, 08:17 PM
Go to Google Translate, set it to translate from German to Turkish and put in ä (a with two dots on top) fifteen times.

Google is such a troll.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-27, 08:42 PM
Why am I so blase about essays this termyear?
I've not completely read the entire text; I'm making up things as I go; spent probably a couple hundred words on a point that is, in context of the (stupidly broad) essay title most likely pointless; and I have a whole two and half half points made, one of which being the most-likely-pointless one; the language is crazy archaic (which says something) and I keep hopping between versions of the text making sure "this" is actually "this" in the 'proper' version of the text rather than "thys", "that" or " . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . borene dux".
I mean, sure, parallel texts of extant manuscript copies are great and all, but annoying because I'm trained to read books, not parallel editions.
And I'm starting to regret the essay title.
Because it isn't one.
At all.
In any shape or form that could ever be possibly conceived as an essay title.
Ever.
In the history of essay writing.
Which is very long indeed.
And I chose the title.
Because I am stupid.
And lazy. And procrastinate at Epic level. Or possibly God level if such a thing exists.

This essay is going to suck.

On the plus side I have around 560 words written. Or ~360ish if I cut out the possibly-most-likely-pointless section.

Rawhide
2011-02-27, 08:44 PM
Go to Google Translate, set it to translate from German to Turkish and put in ä (a with two dots on top) fifteen times.

Google is such a troll.

It appears to work (almost) regardless of the target language.

Eruantion
2011-02-27, 10:11 PM

Google is such a troll.

Maybe I don't know my way around a keyboard, but how exactly do I do that?

MoonCat
2011-02-27, 10:20 PM
Or, you could, you know, get a room to yourself.

I'm traveling with my parents. And I had nothing to do with planning this. And I never knew I was going to be on the floor until I walked in and asked where the bed was (and then I had to wait for the answer, my dad believes that all humans could fit on a much smaller space if they only tried.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-27, 10:27 PM
I'm traveling with my parents. And I had nothing to do with planning this. And I never knew I was going to be on the floor until I walked in and asked where the bed was (and then I had to wait for the answer, my dad believes that all humans could fit on a much smaller space if they only tried.

Your parents are weird.

Although I have to say that sometimes many people seem to have space warping abilities. Like purses for example. I have a tiny purse and my friend was shocked at how much stuff I managed to cram in there. So was I when I realized exactly how much I had in there. :smalleek:

Coidzor
2011-02-27, 10:30 PM

No rollaway beds, eh? That's too bad.

MoonCat
2011-02-27, 10:36 PM
Your parents are weird.

Oh yes.

Although I have to say that sometimes many people seem to have space warping abilities. Like purses for example. I have a tiny purse and my friend was shocked at how much stuff I managed to cram in there. So was I when I realized exactly how much I had in there. :smalleek:

Yeah, I have some pretty amazing space warping abilities as well. The only time they have failed to work was when I tried to fit four girls in a twin bed (myself included). And that would've worked if we hadn't gotten in a fight over the blanket at 1 AM, and all fallen out (on my head. Three girls. Ow.)

No rollaway beds, eh? That's too bad.

Nothing like that. I got part of a mattress though!

Rawhide
2011-02-27, 10:47 PM

The easiest way is to just copy and paste the character in his post.

ZombyWoof
2011-02-27, 10:54 PM
*bleep*

My *bleeping* car won't start. FML.

Eruantion
2011-02-27, 10:58 PM
*bleep*

My *bleeping* car won't start. FML.

Are you posting from your car, or did you go inside to your computer just to tell us?

Also, any clue what's going on?

ZombyWoof
2011-02-27, 11:00 PM
Well it was stalled in the parking lot at work so I got a ride home, making me "at home" and officially "in trouble."

My car's battery is fine (all the lights, etc. work) but when I turn the key there is no sound. The brake warning light pops up and nooooothing happens.

Lame.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-27, 11:07 PM
Well it was stalled in the parking lot at work so I got a ride home, making me "at home" and officially "in trouble."

My car's battery is fine (all the lights, etc. work) but when I turn the key there is no sound. The brake warning light pops up and nooooothing happens.

Lame.

put on a firm set of boots and kick your car on the battery side of the front of the car. no more than 4 times*.

it always works for shiela

*not recommended if you don't like dents

Eruantion
2011-02-27, 11:15 PM

Lame.
Well, I'm no professional.. Or have much car experience whatsoever. Have you tried just using jumper cables?

put on a firm set of boots and kick your car on the battery side of the front of the car. no more than 4 times*.

it always works for shiela

*not recommended if you don't like dents

Sheila? Is that a reference to a character from an online series? or just a coincidence?

ZombyWoof
2011-02-27, 11:23 PM
Well, I'm no professional.. Or have much car experience whatsoever. Have you tried just using jumper cables?

The thing about jumper cables is that their job is to get electricity to my car. Which has electricity.

Eruantion
2011-02-27, 11:24 PM
The thing about jumper cables is that their job is to get electricity to my car. Which has electricity.

Yeah, well, that's the extent of my car advice :smalltongue: best of luck to ya

Kneenibble
2011-02-27, 11:29 PM
Dear Internet scribes/scribbles,

Of is not an auxiliary verb. You cannot supplant an actual auxiliary verb, however lazy your diction that makes it sound similar, with a preposition. Perfect tense aspect is accomplished with the word HAVE. :smallfurious:

My faith in good language is hanging by a string here, people.

Sincerely,
One daily less gay bird.

Rawhide
2011-02-27, 11:50 PM

But it might not have enough electricity. Enough to run the peripherals, but not to turn the engine over.

Dear Internet scribes/scribbles,

Of is not an auxiliary verb. You cannot supplant an actual auxiliary verb, however lazy your diction that makes it sound similar, with a preposition. Perfect tense aspect is accomplished with the word HAVE. :smallfurious:

My faith in good language is hanging by a string here, people.

Sincerely,
One daily less gay bird.

You could of told us that earlier.

ZombyWoof
2011-02-28, 12:01 AM
Thank you, Rawhide. I was having a hard time understanding what he meant by using "of" in place of "have" :smallwink:

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-28, 01:47 AM

Lame.There's no sound at all? Not even the little clicking sound of the solenoid trying to engage the starter with the flywheel? Do the lights dim when you turn the key?

This is one reason I like to own cars with manual transmissions. :smallcool:

Kneenibble
2011-02-28, 02:01 AM
You could of told us that earlier.

http://blog.filmjabber.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/star-trek-captain-kirk.jpg
RAAAAAAAAAWN!!!

ZombyWoof
2011-02-28, 02:10 AM
There's no sound at all? Not even the little clicking sound of the solenoid trying to engage the starter with the flywheel? Do the lights dim when you turn the key?
If there was a click I probably couldn't hear it because I'm near deaf thanks to the ear infection.

This is one reason I like to own cars with manual transmissions. :smallcool:
I would like to own one of these cars of which you speak. Unfortunately, my funds for a vehicle were between $0 and $2.50 so I ended up with what has otherwise been a lovely van.

Rawhide
2011-02-28, 02:41 AM
http://blog.filmjabber.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/star-trek-captain-kirk.jpg
RAAAAAAAAAWN!!!

:smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-28, 02:55 AM
If there was a click I probably couldn't hear it because I'm near deaf thanks to the ear infection.Listen to the chew toy. Try the jumper cables.

Teddy
2011-02-28, 03:12 AM

Do you have a button with this symbol: "¨" (two dots in a row)? On my keyboard it's featured on a button that looks like this (warning, really bad ASCII art ahead):
_____
|^....|
|¨.~.|
|____|
I don't know if your keyboard actually features it, but if you press it followed by any vowel it will make that vowel with two dots.

Amiel
2011-02-28, 04:34 AM
My knee hurts just thinking about it...

I also want to run, but I have a cough/cold at the moment :smallannoyed:

What helped alleviate the pain was the knowledge that my leg didn't choose to lock up on gravel or within a stairwell, because both would've been rather disadvantageous.

Unfortunately, I seem to be all out of band-aids :(

I certainly hope so!
I've accumulated a fair number of them.

ION, I spent the last few hours of scholastic freedom watching Salad Fingers; I don't think I'll ever sleep again.

KuReshtin
2011-02-28, 04:46 AM
Do you have a button with this symbol: "¨" (two dots in a row)? On my keyboard it's featured on a button that looks like this (warning, really bad ASCII art ahead):
_____
|^....|
|¨.~.|
|____|
I don't know if your keyboard actually features it, but if you press it followed by any vowel it will make that vowel with two dots.

That's your Swedish keyboard that has that key, Teddy. Then again, you already have the ä-key on your keyboard as well.

One way of getting the ability to type the ä is to go to the keyboard input language settings, change it to Swedish, and then just press the key two positions to the right from the L-key. :smallwink:

Teddy
2011-02-28, 05:04 AM
That's your Swedish keyboard that has that key, Teddy. Then again, you already have the ä-key on your keyboard as well.

One way of getting the ability to type the ä is to go to the keyboard input language settings, change it to Swedish, and then just press the key two positions to the right from the L-key. :smallwink:

Well, I figured that that was the case, but since "¨ + vowel" characters are featured in several European languages, among them the language with most native European speakers (German), there was some chance of it being featured on other keyboards as well...

Amiel
2011-02-28, 05:14 AM
What you need to do is have an absurdly long fantasy name full of ä's and similar letters. The next challenge will be pronouncing said name :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2011-02-28, 05:15 AM
What you need to do is have an absurdly long fantasy name full of ä's and similar letters. The next challenge will be pronouncing said name :smalltongue:

Well, we already know what äääääääääääääää (http://translate.google.com.au/?hl=en&tab=wT#de|en|%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4% C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3 %A4) in German means in English...

Amiel
2011-02-28, 05:19 AM
Well, we already know what äääääääääääääää (http://translate.google.com.au/?hl=en&tab=wT#de|en|%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4% C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3 %A4) in German means in English...

That's amazing, truly; I lol'd :D

Rawhide
2011-02-28, 05:22 AM
Well, I figured that that was the case, but since "¨ + vowel" characters are featured in several European languages, among them the language with most native European speakers (German), there was some chance of it being featured on other keyboards as well...

Most common layout is the US layout. It doesn't have any fancy things. There are several regional layouts, which all differ in some way, available only in regions that particularly need the special characters.

Archonic Energy
2011-02-28, 06:01 AM

though not psychological ones. :smallamused:

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-28, 06:07 AM
Wait, I thought it was "Chicks dig sparklies"?

*cookie for the reference*

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-28, 06:10 AM

That's an easy one.

Jeremy, The Secret of NIMH; love that film.
And curse you for interrupting me while writing an essay! :smalltongue: Now I want to go watch NIMH again.
And pretty much all the good Don Bluth films for that matter; gorgeous animation.

I'll take my cookie now please. :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-28, 06:15 AM
That's an easy one.

And curse you for interrupting me while writing an essay! :smalltongue: Now I want to go watch NIMH again.
And pretty much all the good Don Bluth films for that matter; gorgeous animation.

I'll take my cookie now please. :smalltongue:*gives cookie*

I didn't say it would be hard. It's not quite as well quoted as, say, The Princess Bride is though. :smallcool:

EDIT: Fun fact, I used to work on the same campus as NIMH when I first got into tech support.

Coidzor
2011-02-28, 06:15 AM

You made me remember Secret of NIMH 2. :smallmad: Thank you, Koorly. That's just what I needed while I'm trying to go back to sleep.

T_T

though not psychological ones. :smallamused:

Depends on how you wear 'em. :smallamused:

Rawhide
2011-02-28, 06:20 AM

Oh my goodness! No wonder those books are so darn popular!

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-28, 06:26 AM
Oh my goodness! No wonder those books are so darn popular!Oh. Oh wow. That, that took me far too long to get.

I'm clearly in need of more coffee.

Rawhide
2011-02-28, 06:28 AM
Oh. Oh wow. That, that took me far too long to get.

Nah, it just shows that you have good taste :smallwink:.

absolmorph
2011-02-28, 07:07 AM
Oh. Oh wow. That, that took me far too long to get.

I, on the other hand, understood it much quicker than I'd like :smallfrown:

Coidzor
2011-02-28, 07:14 AM
Oh my goodness! No wonder those books are so darn popular!

Actually, Nostalgia Critic's Bum Reviews covered this. The end result was something about how diamonds are a girl's best friends but she has a boyfriend MADE OF DIAMONDS! And ending up with a joke about making him into a giant ring which is a double entendre.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-28, 07:28 AM
*gives cookie*

I didn't say it would be hard. It's not quite as well quoted as, say, The Princess Bride is though. :smallcool:

EDIT: Fun fact, I used to work on the same campus as NIMH when I first got into tech support.

Yay!
No, wait.
Yay.
True, you didn't say it'd be hard; but given it's status as a relatively obscure cult classic and this being an internet forum, I deserve the cookie for being quickest across the finishing line.

Bet you had fun thoughts when that happened. Which came first, the job or the film? Either way there was probably some recursion or something fancy-like going on afterwards.

You made me remember Secret of NIMH 2. :smallmad: Thank you, Koorly. That's just what I needed while I'm trying to go back to sleep.

T_T

What are you talking about? There was never a sequel film, I know there are sequels to the book; however, I'm more than fine not reading them even though they're meant to be . . . tolerable.
Wilful obliviousness is such a wonderful trait.

ION:
Hey peeps, is it a bad thing when, four or so days after cracking one's head on a corner of a bookcase I still feel dizzy fairly often each day, and suffer from occasional bouts of nausea and blurriness?
And headaches.
Yes, I can see the irony of this too.
Oh lor' think I'm gonna go throw up and I have a tute in two hours . . . Can't miss it . . .

Moonshadow
2011-02-28, 08:21 AM
Actually, Nostalgia Critic's Bum Reviews covered this. The end result was something about how diamonds are a girl's best friends but she has a boyfriend MADE OF DIAMONDS! And ending up with a joke about making him into a giant ring which is a double entendre.

Look up. Look down. Look back up. Your boyfriend is now diamonds!

I'm on a horse.

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-28, 08:43 AM
Yay!
No, wait.
Yay.
True, you didn't say it'd be hard; but given it's status as a relatively obscure cult classic and this being an internet forum, I deserve the cookie for being quickest across the finishing line.You definitely deserved the cookie. :smallcool:

Bet you had fun thoughts when that happened. Which came first, the job or the film? Either way there was probably some recursion or something fancy-like going on afterwards.The job came years after the movie. The job was sometime around 2001. I admit that I sometimes, when I had a call in one of the buildings they share with the National Cancer Institute (who I worked for), I couldn't help but try to peek into the NIMH offices and try to see if there were any rat cages. There never were.

Look up. Look down. Look back up. Your boyfriend is now diamonds!

I'm on a horse.:smallconfused: I feel like I'm missing a joke here.

HalfTangible
2011-02-28, 09:11 AM
:smallconfused: I feel like I'm missing a joke here.

Go to YouTube and look up 'the man your man could smell like'. It's a minute or two long.

Rawhide
2011-02-28, 09:11 AM
:smallconfused: I feel like I'm missing a joke here.

Shame on you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE)

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-28, 09:35 AM
Shame on you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE)Ooooh. I'd only seen the ones where he's responding to Alyssa Milano.

Thufir
2011-02-28, 10:01 AM
ION:
Hey peeps, is it a bad thing when, four or so days after cracking one's head on a corner of a bookcase I still feel dizzy fairly often each day, and suffer from occasional bouts of nausea and blurriness?
And headaches.

Yes, I would say that sounds kinda bad.

Yes, I can see the irony of this too.
Oh lor' think I'm gonna go throw up and I have a tute in two hours . . . Can't miss it . . .

That definitely sounds bad.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k63/Razor-Sharp_H7/Avatar/Hug.png

Coidzor
2011-02-28, 10:02 AM
^: Yesss... now stroke her hair gently and daub the corners of her eyes with your handkerchief...

:smalleek:

Ooooh. I'd only seen the ones where he's responding to Alyssa Milano.

Really? It was all over movie theatres for about a year. :smallconfused:

:/ Still conflicted about putting Twilight and Mym C'sil (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175468) in the same thought together though. Feels bad, man.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-02-28, 10:07 AM
Random RB time, to put out the wait till the dentist in 35 min...eww.

*gets redirected by Firefox to this specific post, 3 pages ago*

i thought he was german... :smallamused:
*hide*

:smallfurious:

*stabbity death, from a thousand countries!*
Next meet-up, I shall bring a gun to the knife fight.

Thufir
2011-02-28, 10:24 AM
^: Yesss... now stroke her hair gently and daub the corners of her eyes with your handkerchief...

Come on, Coid, she's nauseous and headachey. Leave the suggestive comments until she's feeling better.

Coidzor
2011-02-28, 10:36 AM
Come on, Coid, she's nauseous and headachey. Leave the suggestive comments until she's feeling better.

The pic... it was just too adorable... brain shut down temporarily... :smallfrown:

Fredaintdead
2011-02-28, 10:45 AM

Oh that's just adorable.

Good afternoon everyone. Strangely enough, today went quickly, which is unusual for Mondays considering that I have my two least favourite teachers today (who just happen to be my English Language teachers).

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-28, 11:06 AM
[SIZE="1"]Really? It was all over movie theatres for about a year. :smallconfused:Which year? I tend to see most of my movies on demand. I think I actually get to the theater about twice a year right now. Baby, y'know. That and so few movies scream MUST SEE NOW, CAN'T WAIT SIX WEEKS FOR IT TO BE ON TV!!

Archonic Energy
2011-02-28, 11:34 AM
Random RB time, to put out the wait till the dentist in 35 min...eww.

*gets redirected by Firefox to this specific post, 3 pages ago*

:smallfurious:

*stabbity death, from a thousand countries!*
Next meet-up, I shall bring a gun to the knife fight.

:smallbiggrin:

Cheer up DD... at least the sourkrout is good over there!

Note: don't try to spell German words you don't know again.
Additional: get armour for the next meet DD attends...

Thufir
2011-02-28, 11:36 AM
The pic... it was just too adorable... brain shut down temporarily... :smallfrown:

Hmm. Interesting. And that was only a stick figure representation... the implications of this could be very interesting indeed...

Curly! I need to observe and document you being adorable at people! FOR SCIENCE!

ION: I have a visiting kitty on my lap. Kitty kitty kitty!
Slightly inconvenient for typing, but I like it nonetheless.

Fredaintdead
2011-02-28, 12:04 PM
Hmm. Interesting. And that was only a stick figure representation... the implications of this could be very interesting indeed...

Curly! I need to observe and document you being adorable at people! FOR SCIENCE!

ION: I have a visiting kitty on my lap. Kitty kitty kitty!
Slightly inconvenient for typing, but I like it nonetheless.

This is perhaps the most amusing post I've read today. Thank you Mr. Thufir sir.

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 12:25 PM
I went to the dentist some time ago, with a split lip that was about to heal over. They pulled my lips in two opposite directions and poked instruments in it while looking at my molars. :smallannoyed: My split still hurts like hell and hasn't healed.

ION: Did not like this last night (on floor) I fell asleep around 3 AM unhappy, and with terrible cramps. I feel pretty bad now. Meh.

SMEE
2011-02-28, 12:35 PM
I need coffee! :smalleek:
Coffee!!! :smalleek:

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 12:49 PM

You're using exclamation points, so you'll at least survive until you find some. :smalltongue:

Eldpollard
2011-02-28, 01:14 PM

I don't think there's ever a point in time where I don't need coffee. It's not my fault it's so delicious.

SMEE
2011-02-28, 01:25 PM
... The office coffeemaker... it's gone! :eek:

CrimsonAngel
2011-02-28, 03:55 PM
My parents can't understand that I don't want them to facebook stalk me. :smallannoyed: Hell, I probably don't even need to tell them i'm gay anymore. They most likely can't even see why this friggin bothers me.

Coidzor
2011-02-28, 04:12 PM
My parents can't understand that I don't want them to facebook stalk me. :smallannoyed: Hell, I probably don't even need to tell them i'm gay anymore. They most likely can't even see why this friggin bothers me.

Have you tried a direct, rational approach for communicating and explaining your grievances? Because if not, I'm sure you can find one or some suggestions around.

Pentachoron
2011-02-28, 04:58 PM

I hear you there, dude. Whole family Facebook stalks me.

ION: I think this whole "barely goes outside" thing I've got going for me is working wonders on my tattoo not fading, it's been almost 8 months now and it's much better looking than people's that got theirs more recently.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-28, 05:28 PM
You definitely deserved the cookie. :smallcool:

Hurrah. *omnomnoms*

The job came years after the movie. The job was sometime around 2001. I admit that I sometimes, when I had a call in one of the buildings they share with the National Cancer Institute (who I worked for), I couldn't help but try to peek into the NIMH offices and try to see if there were any rat cages. There never were.

Maybe they moved them underground to hide the truth from the general populace. The Secret of NIMH was too close to the revealing exactly what went on behind the nefarious NIMH's doors!
Must have been weird though.

Yes, I would say that sounds kinda bad.

. . .

That definitely sounds bad.

Eh, nipped off doctor's today and they said if it was a concussion (which it may have been (albeit a slight one)) there's no point worrying about it now unless symptoms persist a few more days. And to be honest, after the tute and stuff I took a long sleep to make up for my simultaneous insomnia and desparate need to sleep, and now everything seems gone except the nausea, and that can be attributed to something else.
*accepts hug though*

D:
. . .

Ah.
I think a brain shut down from supposed adorableness justifies many things. Many.

I love how you tell me to be adorable at people rather than to people.
I'm not adorable though. Got this horrible dichotomy with my personality; on the one hand I'm a cynical, pessemist who laughs gleefully during horror films and any time there's copious amount of gore, and I happily spend my time ripping apart any form of media (treasured or no) for pleasure.
But on the other hand, I'm a child. I adore all forms of animation, Disney and Studio Ghibli are some of the best studios in the universe, I have enormous nostalgia filters, I like MY LITTLE PONY, I veer between startling innocence and naivete and being the bawdiest person amongst all my friends.
I'm a fairly anti-social bibliomaniac recluse who is more than happy not speaking to anybody except through the medium of the written word, in short I am not adorable, cute or anything.
Then again, my childlike height and facial looks probably add to an illusion that is built up by my desperate shyness and inability to talk to strangers, combined with really archaic manners of address and politeness.

Aaaaand I just analysed myself.
Long story short (too late) adorable I am not.

Perenelle
2011-02-28, 05:30 PM
I had the best lunch ever at school today.

My table of about 12 people decided to have a Potnicunch (A Potluck Picnic Lunch :smalltongue: ), and we all brought some form of food that didn't needed to be heated up. We ended up having pasta salad, mini pigs in a blanket, this sort of cold pizza made of cream cheese and raw vegetables (which was surprisingly good), fruit salad, tortillas with cheese and lunch meat, chips and salsa, brownies, cookies, an entire homemade chocolate cake, and cupcakes baked in ice cream cones (Which I made ^.^ ) It was pretty fantastic, and we ate it all in the middle of the courtyard huddled around a table.

Also, It's storming outside! :smallbiggrin: This is all putting me in a particularly good mood. :smallsmile:

Zaydos
2011-02-28, 06:42 PM
I'm currently in the bottom of a dining hall wishing it wasn't raining so I could walk back to the dorm. And now I'm running the gambit of the storm.

Thufir
2011-02-28, 06:44 PM
Eh, nipped off doctor's today and they said if it was a concussion (which it may have been (albeit a slight one)) there's no point worrying about it now unless symptoms persist a few more days. And to be honest, after the tute and stuff I took a long sleep to make up for my simultaneous insomnia and desparate need to sleep, and now everything seems gone except the nausea, and that can be attributed to something else.
*accepts hug though*

Well, good, however I still recommend you continue getting regular hugs.
Not for the possible concussion, just in general.

I love how you tell me to be adorable at people rather than to people.

I think both are kind of unnatural, since being adorable isn't really something generally viewed as being directed. Being adorable in the presence of people would be more technically accurate I suppose.

I'm not adorable though.

LIES.

Got this horrible dichotomy with my personality; on the one hand I'm a cynical, pessemist who laughs gleefully during horror films and any time there's copious amount of gore, and I happily spend my time ripping apart any form of media (treasured or no) for pleasure.
But on the other hand, I'm a child. I adore all forms of animation, Disney and Studio Ghibli are some of the best studios in the universe, I have enormous nostalgia filters, I like MY LITTLE PONY, I veer between startling innocence and naivete and being the bawdiest person amongst all my friends.

This I agree with, though I don't think liking My Little Pony counts as evidence for your childish side given the kind of following it seems to have acquired.

I'm a fairly anti-social bibliomaniac recluse who is more than happy not speaking to anybody except through the medium of the written word, in short I am not adorable, cute or anything.
Then again, my childlike height and facial looks probably add to an illusion that is built up by my desperate shyness and inability to talk to strangers, combined with really archaic manners of address and politeness.

Aaaaand I just analysed myself.
Long story short (too late) adorable I am not.

I still disagree. And adorableness, (Adorability?) like beauty, is in the eye of the (non-D&D) beholder, to wit, me. I'm sure several others would agree with me that you are totally adorable.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-02-28, 06:50 PM
Seconded, Koorly is adorababbleness.

And why do I keep introducing varying kinds of alcohols to people, lately? Am I that much of a drunk?:smalltongue: Though most of the time they do like what I recommend.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-28, 07:24 PM
I'm currently in the bottom of a dining hall wishing it wasn't raining so I could walk back to the dorm. And now I'm running the gambit of the storm.

for some odd reaso n i parked at the very far corer of the parking lot at the airport today. ad then it rai... no to say it rained is to call the pacific ocean a puddle. it monsooned.

stupid texas and your stupid unpredictable weather:smallannoyed:

Perenelle
2011-02-28, 07:36 PM

The storm is pretty bad here too, my dog is freaking out. For some reason i'm more productive when it's raining, and conveniently I have two essays to type up tonight. :smallsmile:
Also, hiya, fellow North Carolinian! :smalltongue:

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-28, 07:38 PM
europeans have all the fun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLUcYLLhnw&feature)

Amiel
2011-02-28, 07:57 PM
I am full of steak; our Eagle Bar makes a rather good said-food-item and arranges the plate in a rather artistic manner (which is a bonus).
Om nom nom

Zaydos
2011-02-28, 07:59 PM
The storm is pretty bad here too, my dog is freaking out. For some reason i'm more productive when it's raining, and conveniently I have two essays to type up tonight. :smallsmile:
Also, hiya, fellow North Carolinian! :smalltongue:

Maybe it's the same storm :smalltongue:

What kind of dog do you have?

Eruantion
2011-02-28, 08:01 PM
europeans have all the fun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLUcYLLhnw&feature)

What is this I don't even..

Amiel
2011-02-28, 08:02 PM
Maybe it's one of those "Captain Planet" storms, a composite storm of varying energies; the storm you're currently experiencing is clearly Linka's fault.

An alive one :smalltongue:

Perenelle
2011-02-28, 08:03 PM

I wouldn't be surprised, it's covering a good part of the state. :smalltongue:

She's a Schnoodle. A very annoying Schnoodle who smells weird and follows me around. :smallyuk:

Zaydos
2011-02-28, 08:08 PM
Maybe it's one of those "Captain Planet" storms, a composite storm of varying energies; the storm you're currently experiencing is clearly Linka's fault.

I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS PLANET!!!!! Eh it wasn't that bad, just had to move quick so the donuts and my Magic cards didn't get wet.

I wouldn't be surprised, it's covering a good part of the state. :smalltongue:

She's a Schnoodle. A very annoying Schnoodle who smells weird and follows me around. :smallyuk:

-looks up Schnoodles- ah the little dogs that are actually cute. Seems like you should pet it.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-28, 08:13 PM
Huh.
I've been listening to my favourite Disney song, and I've noticed that the uploader of this particular version has altered it from how it was in the film.
The temp has been slowed down by about ten percent, the chorus isn't as frenetic, I'm certain the singer's volume and projection has been reduced a lot, the reverb isn't; the passion is gone and somehow it sounds flat and bland.
The chorus is quieter and not as vocal as it should be, not even in the crescendo, and all the moments where the instruments are forte or fortissimo are waaaay quieter and don't soar with the vocals.
I am displeased with this version of the song.
There's no fervour, passion or depth to that video of it, how can they water down a song when it's exactly the same?

To the best!
Because seriously, when unmusical me can notice all these things you know something's wrong.

Kneenibble
2011-02-28, 08:17 PM
Seconded, Koorly is adorababbleness.

And why do I keep introducing varying kinds of alcohols to people, lately? Am I that much of a drunk?:smalltongue: Though most of the time they do like what I recommend.

Introduce me to an alcohol, huggy-bear: I shall drink it copiously. Our merchant importers of fine liquors cast broad nets and we may indeed have such golden nectars as are effunded from Flanders, Fryslan, or even fabled Neder-nederland.

Having practiced beer-brewing for a few months now I shall soon endeavour meadmaking. In the mean time, I would like to know what the essential meads are for developing a mead palette. Surely you have some advice?

Oh yes, and trebled: the lady who is called Curly, she endears. As does her patron, Thuficer.

You know who else endears? Amiel. No matter how many stories you tell about falling down like a bastard, nor how many of your rebirths you endanger by eating sacred cow, I still plan to molest your bicep.

Heliomance
2011-02-28, 08:20 PM
Huh.
I've been listening to my favourite Disney song, and I've noticed that the uploader of this particular version has altered it from how it was in the film.
The temp has been slowed down by about ten percent, the chorus isn't as frenetic, I'm certain the singer's volume and projection has been reduced a lot, the reverb isn't; the passion is gone and somehow it sounds flat and bland.
The chorus is quieter and not as vocal as it should be, not even in the crescendo, and all the moments where the instruments are forte or fortissimo are waaaay quieter and don't soar with the vocals.
I am displeased with this version of the song.
There's no fervour, passion or depth to that video of it, how can they water down a song when it's exactly the same?

To the best!
Because seriously, when unmusical me can notice all these things you know something's wrong.

Which song?

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-28, 08:25 PM
Which song?

I'll tell you the name of the film as it's all you really need to know: Hunback of Notre Dame.

I did some more thinking too and comparing between the preferred video and the lacklustre one; it's not simply a question of quality (video or audio) but an actual tampering of the individual layers of the song itself.
Sadness.

Thufir
2011-02-28, 08:29 PM
Oh yes, and trebled: the lady who is called Curly, she endears. As does her patron, Thuficer.

You know who else endears? Amiel. No matter how many stories you tell about falling down like a bastard, nor how many of your rebirths you endanger by eating sacred cow, I still plan to molest your bicep.

You also endear greatly, ye of the flamboyant budgerigar. The particular distinctive nature of your phraseology has long since gained my affections.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-28, 08:37 PM
Thufir, I've just noticed you have a GB!avvie. Chessishly themed and pretty.

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 08:43 PM
I'll tell you the name of the film as it's all you really need to know: Hunback of Notre Dame.

I did some more thinking too and comparing between the preferred video and the lacklustre one; it's not simply a question of quality (video or audio) but an actual tampering of the individual layers of the song itself.
Sadness.

It's Hellfire, right? That one is my favorite of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Zaydos
2011-02-28, 08:44 PM

That's the one I was listening to when I started reading about it. If it is... eerie.

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 08:47 PM
That's the one I was listening to when I started reading about it. If it is... eerie.

Like fire, hellfire... This burning in my skin. This burning, desire, is turning me to SINGE

Zaydos
2011-02-28, 08:49 PM
Like fire, hellfire... This burning in my skin. This burning, desire, is turning me to SINGE

Now I'm listening to my favorite Disney song that doesn't compel me to exercise.

Pentachoron
2011-02-28, 08:49 PM

Then it could still be any song! (Well one of like 16) I'm guessing Topsy-Turvy though?

That one is my favorite from the film too, but the chorus didn't strike me as frenetic enough to be what CurlyKitGirl was talking about.

*Double Edit* Turns out frenetic doesn't mean what I thought it meant...learn something new every day.

Thufir
2011-02-28, 08:53 PM
Thufir, I've just noticed you have a GB!avvie. Chessishly themed and pretty.

It has been up since the second day of GB Week...
I am quite pleased with it.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k63/Razor-Sharp_H7/Avatar/ChessMasque.png ---> http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k63/Razor-Sharp_H7/Avatar/GB.png

You are correct.

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 08:56 PM
You are correct.

Woot! That one is definitely my favorite. (I shall refrain from talking too much about it and my feelings when hearing it, lest I betray the mods decency rules :smalltongue:)
*turns song on* *needs to buy new computer*
Did you notice my terrible pun?

ION: Great. Some gringle-flamp mobstock wishgilit has gone and made my personal hairbrush static. Now whenever I brush my hair half of it will fly out everywhere, and half of it will stick to my head in an uncomfortable manner. :smallannoyed:

Perenelle
2011-02-28, 09:10 PM
-looks up Schnoodles- ah the little dogs that are actually cute. Seems like you should pet it.

She's not cute, trust me. And if I met her my hands will smell weird. -.- The day after I give her a bath she starts smelling funny again. I don't understand. She rolls around on my blankets and infects them sometimes too :smallannoyed:

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 09:14 PM
I just saw a most adorable dog today. It was a tiny,elderly, blind pug asleep on a bed. Think smaller than a pug puppy, with that tiny mooshed up face fast asleep. Squee!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-28, 09:32 PM

I know, eh? Well, except that I recommend vodka, in copious amounts. :smallsigh:

Or ales. :smallsigh:

Though for beers I've recently fallen in love with Bavarian Helles beers. They're smooth, and light, yet also flavourful. Wonderful.

Also, my friends and I make amazing margaritas. We enjoy our mixed drinks, even the girly ones with cranberry in them. I love cranberry and vodka.

Zaydos
2011-02-28, 09:37 PM
She's not cute, trust me. And if I met her my hands will smell weird. -.- The day after I give her a bath she starts smelling funny again. I don't understand. She rolls around on my blankets and infects them sometimes too :smallannoyed:

I like most dogs, except really small dogs. When my cats are bigger than you (and my cats are slim and sleek) you're too small.

Petting my dog makes my hand smell funny too... I just always associated that with dogs. Still it makes him so happy.

-is a bit of an animal person-

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 09:46 PM
I'm an animal person, but I've never been able to connect to dogs like I'd like. I just don't speak dog, so am not good at being around them. After years and tears of being around cats I just can't get used to petting dog-style (cats do not like energetic rubbing.

Pentachoron
2011-02-28, 10:02 PM
Also, my friends and I make amazing margaritas. We enjoy our mixed drinks, even the girly ones with cranberry in them. I love cranberry and vodka.

I've never found cranberry juice + vodka to be a particularly girly drink myself, unless it comes in a "vodka cooler" form.

Personally I'm quite a fan of 7&7, Gin and Juice, Screwdrivers, Whiskey and Coke, and, if I'm feeling like living up to my "frat boy" stereotype, Blitzkriegs.

Coidzor
2011-02-28, 10:03 PM
I'm an animal person, but I've never been able to connect to dogs like I'd like. I just don't speak dog, so am not good at being around them. After years and tears of being around cats I just can't get used to petting dog-style (cats do not like energetic rubbing.

Weird. Mine do. You just have to use a particular set of hand motions that are rather simply reproduced via mimicking someone who already knows them. :smallconfused:

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 10:08 PM
Weird. Mine do. You just have to use a particular set of hand motions that are rather simply reproduced via mimicking someone who already knows them. :smallconfused:

Whenever I mimmick my mother (who is a master at cats) I get bitten. Mostly cats are ambivalent to me, no matter how much I try to do stuff for them. But since one of my cats would attack me if I pet her stomach, or was too energetic around her, I now think all animals will do that, so can barely talk to dogs. I just speak in Cat all the time.

Zaydos
2011-02-28, 10:26 PM
Cats are strange and fickle creatures with a myriad of possible personalities and languages. On that note they are excellent reflex training (kittens like playing with sticks, string, blades of grass, or when I can't find/be bothered to gather those things my hands).

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-28, 10:33 PM
I've never found cranberry juice + vodka to be a particularly girly drink myself, unless it comes in a "vodka cooler" form.

Personally I'm quite a fan of 7&7, Gin and Juice, Screwdrivers, Whiskey and Coke, and, if I'm feeling like living up to my "frat boy" stereotype, Blitzkriegs.

My parents say anything with fruit in it is a 'girly drink'. But Whiskey and Coke and Screwdrivers are also on my fave list. I made a screwdriver with, like 2:1 whiskey to orange a coupla days ago. At least 2 or 3 shots worth in that thing...

Pentachoron
2011-02-28, 10:41 PM
My parents say anything with fruit in it is a 'girly drink'. But Whiskey and Coke and Screwdrivers are also on my fave list. I made a screwdriver with, like 2:1 whiskey to orange a coupla days ago. At least 2 or 3 shots worth in that thing...

I guess I can see their point but still, too many drinks that are amazing have something fruity in it. 90% of schnapps based drinks, for example.

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 10:46 PM
Cats are strange and fickle creatures with a myriad of possible personalities and languages. On that note they are excellent reflex training (kittens like playing with sticks, string, blades of grass, or when I can't find/be bothered to gather those things my hands).

Kittens are hilarious to watch. But I think it's mean to only like cats as kittens, so I'm glad I like to see cats as adults as well. They're sweet in their own way. They are fickle aren't they?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-28, 10:53 PM
I guess I can see their point but still, too many drinks that are amazing have something fruity in it. 90% of schnapps based drinks, for example.

That's what I say. "But it tastes so goooood!" :smallbiggrin:

Zaydos
2011-02-28, 10:59 PM
Kittens are hilarious to watch. But I think it's mean to only like cats as kittens, so I'm glad I like to see cats as adults as well. They're sweet in their own way. They are fickle aren't they?

I love all cats. It's just kittens that usually try and claw my hands. They tend to mellow out as adults.

Pentachoron
2011-02-28, 11:09 PM
I love all cats. It's just kittens that usually try and claw my hands. They tend to mellow out as adults.

Not in my experience, I've had three in my time and they were all as ridiculously hyper fully grown as they were as kittens.

My current one has a tendency to get spooked and run off dead sprint into walls because it keeps not looking ahead.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-28, 11:12 PM

i had a few homemade screwdrivers before going to church yesterday

absolmorph
2011-03-01, 12:31 AM
I will be of age in 2 days.
My wand hand is SO ready for this.

MoonCat
2011-03-01, 12:58 AM
I will be of age in 2 days.
My wand hand is SO ready for this.

Gah! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrainBleach)

Happy soon to be birthday though!

absolmorph
2011-03-01, 01:34 AM
Gah! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrainBleach)

Happy soon to be birthday though!
... I was being entirely literal when I said "wand hand".
MoonCat is a pervert :smallredface:
Thank you anyway :smallsmile:

MoonCat
2011-03-01, 01:43 AM

You're welcome, but I don't believe you. I'm going to go bleach my brain now anyway, I've been reading Troper Tales: Brain Bleach.

absolmorph
2011-03-01, 01:45 AM
You're welcome, but I don't believe you. I'm going to go bleach my brain now anyway, I've been reading Troper Tales: Brain Bleach.
Yes, I was. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter)

Zaydos
2011-03-01, 01:46 AM

In MoonCat's defense I reached for the brain bleach too... Also would your wand hand be involved in LARPing? Would it be the same as your sword hand? Would it be the opposite hand so you can dual-wield wand and sword? Would it be the severed stump of your right hand which a wolf bit off/evil book infected and you had to cut off and upon which you mount a wand? Is it quicker than Harry Potter's wand hand? Is it detachable?

Also what is your wand made of?

MoonCat
2011-03-01, 01:47 AM
Yes, I was. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter)

Wait, you'll turn twelve?

Zeb The Troll
2011-03-01, 01:49 AM
I made a screwdriver with, like 2:1 whiskey to orange a coupla days ago. At least 2 or 3 shots worth in that thing...You make a screwdriver (http://cocktails.about.com/od/cocktailrecipes/r/srwdrvr_vdka.htm) with whiskey?? :smallyuk: