PDA

View Full Version : looking for.....

DragonsAion
2011-02-16, 02:12 AM
I'm looking for any feats or items that give bonuses or enhancements to knowledge skills.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-16, 02:17 AM
I'm looking for any feats or items that give bonuses or enhancements to knowledge skills.

All I can think of are items that boost one's int score.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-16, 02:29 AM
I'm sure there's a long list of these somewhere. Here are the ones worth a damn that I can remember off the top of my head:

Absent Minded [Trait] - gives +1 to all Knowledge skills, -1 spot and list

Ancestral Knowledge [Feat] - Dwarf only feat that allows you to use Wisdom instead of Intelligence for knowledge checks. You can also make any knowledge check untrained.

Trivial Knowledge [Feat] - Gnome only feat. Roll twice for every knowledge and Bardic Knowledge check, use the higher of the two rolls.

Dwarf Lore [Feat] - Dwarf only feat from Dragon Magazine. +1 to all knowledge checks and +1 to one craft skill

Elf Lore [Feat] - Same as above but for Elves and they get +1 spellcraft instead of craft

Gnome Lore [Feat] - Same again. Bonus to perform.

~~~

If your character is dragonblooded, he can take Shape Soulmeld (Elder Spirit) which gives +4 insight bonus on Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history), and Use Magic Device checks. This feat is popular among Artificers for obvious reasons.

Waker
2011-02-16, 02:33 AM
There is obviously Skill Focus (Knowledge), Education (Eberron), and the skill trick Collector of Stories (CScoundrel).

DragonsAion
2011-02-16, 02:44 AM
I know any item that boost INT will boost that skill. I mean really thats kind of a given along with Skill Focus. huh, I thought there were a lot more feats then that between all the books.

Also could you please let me know where I can find any of the suggested feats or items that are not in the MIC.

Dexam
2011-02-16, 03:53 AM
There's also the Draconic Knowledge feat from Dragon Magic. From memory, it makes all Knowledge skills class skills and gives a +1 bonus to Knowledge skills for each [Draconic] feat the character has. You need the Draconic Heritage feat, and either dragon-blood subtype + 1 level of sorcerer, or the Dragontouched feat as prerequistes.

Andion Isurand
2011-02-16, 04:29 AM
Bardic Knack ACF (PH2 35) instead of Bardic Knowledge/Lore... gives you the option of making any skill check as if you had ranks in that skill equal to half your Bardic Knack class levels (rounded up).

Although you still need an actual rank to be trained in an otherwise untrained skill.

And you still need actual ranks for any requirements or prerequsites, as well as for any synergy bonuses.

DragonsAion
2011-02-16, 04:43 AM
thanks for the help. When I get off work I'll have to look throught the PDF's on my computer, (don't have books since I couldn't take them to afghanistan with me), to see if I could find more.

as an after thought how well does Dark Knowledge work and other then being able to "know" something what other fun can you have with Knowledge skills?

Darrin
2011-02-16, 08:36 AM

Shape Soulmeld feat, Elder Spirit (Dragon Magic p. 84). +4 insight bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks.

Items:

Crystal Mask of Knowledge (2500 GP, MIC p. 91). +5 competence bonus to one category of Knowledge.

Headband of the Lorebinder (1600 GP, MIC p. 110). +4 sacred bonus on bardic knowledge checks.

Lore Gem (7500 GP, MIC p. 114). +2 competence bonus on all Knowledge checks. Huh... it says you need to activate this as full-round to gain this bonus, and then immediately says this is a continuous effect that requires no activation. *boggle*

Map of Unseen Lands (5200 GP, MIC p. 164). +5 competence bonus on Knowledge (geography) checks if your alignment is LG, NG, CG, or TN.

Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance (8000 GP, MIC p. 183). +5 competence bonus to all Knowledge checks if your alignment is LN, LE, LG, or TN.

Skill Shard (50/300 GP, MIC p. 185). +2/+5 competence bonus on a specific skill check.

Tome of Ancient Lore (5500 GP, MIC p. 189). +5 competence bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks.

Tome of Worldly Memory (1500 GP, MIC p. 190). +5 competence bonus to a single Knowledge check, 3/day.

Nycoptic Manuscripts (2500 GP, Libris Mortis p. 79). +5 competence bonus on Knowledge (arcana) on necromantic topics.

Planar Atlas (25 GP, Planar Handbook p. 71). +2 competence bonus on Knowledge (the planes) checks, non-magical equipment.

FMArthur
2011-02-16, 08:41 AM
There is also the Master of Knowledge feat from Heroes of Horror, awarding you a piddly +1 to all Knowledges.

Also, I am fairly certaint that Skill Focus only applies to one Knowledge you choose each time you take it, since each is actually a separate skill.

Protecar
2011-02-16, 08:43 AM
Is the class already set in stone? Factotum is the master of knowledge checks(probably already know this, but I'm a fan so I have to plug the class :smallredface:)

Chilingsworth
2011-02-16, 09:03 AM
From the OP's asking about Dark Knowledge, I'm guessing he's planning to play an achivist?

FMArthur
2011-02-16, 09:04 AM
Is the class already set in stone? Factotum is the master of knowledge checks(probably already know this, but I'm a fan so I have to plug the class :smallredface:)

He's playing an Archivist, the true masters of knowledge. Factotums are Int-dependent and good at skill checks in general, but the class features don't actually gain anything from making knowledge checks like an Archivist does. Both should take Knowledge Devotion, of course. Speaking of which...

thanks for the help. When I get off work I'll have to look throught the PDF's on my computer, (don't have books since I couldn't take them to afghanistan with me), to see if I could find more.

as an after thought how well does Dark Knowledge work and other then being able to "know" something what other fun can you have with Knowledge skills?

It sounds like you don't know about Knowledge Devotion from Complete Champion, which gives you an attack and damage bonus depending on how much you know about the Creature Type of your opponents. It requires 5 ranks in a Knowledge skill, to start. It's used automatically at the start of combat, once per creature type per encounter. You get an insight bonus ranging from +1 to +5 depending on the check result (here are the benchmarks... 16: +2, 26: +3, 31: +4, 36: +5). The creature types are sorted by their corresponding Knowledge skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/knowledge.htm).

It's a well-loved feat around here.

DragonsAion
2011-02-16, 09:55 AM
to be honest i was thinking of playing a truenamer gestalted with an Archivist.

if i'm reading the table on page 197 of TOB right the truenamer gets a +2bonus on the truespeck check if he knows the creature type plus other bonuses that i can use the knowledge skills to find out. my dm is letting me add the truenamers BAB to the check since it would be the same bonus as if i took a level in the exempler PRC.

the other ideas for the game were a warmage/ duskblade, scout or ninja/beguiler, dragon shamen/spirit shamen, or warlock/ favored soul.

starting level is 10 with standard gold

bokodasu
2011-02-16, 12:41 PM
Skill Shard (50/300 GP, MIC p. 185). +2/+5 competence bonus on a specific skill check.

Wait, really? Hide that from your DM and take the Skill Shards from the SRD - they go from 10gp for a +1 to 1k for a +10. (+5 would be 250.)

Tenebris
2011-02-16, 12:58 PM
Consider a dip in Dragonfire Adept for Draconic Knowledge invocation. This will also allow you to take the feat of the same name, which was mentioned before (but also this forces you to highly invest in other draconic heritage feats, which is not that bad after all).

Combined with Duskblade/Binder and binding Dantalion plus knowledge devotion this becomes quite interesting combo. Your knowledge = 14 + draconic knowledge feat (+ Int + skill ranks + items + character traits). Just a thought.

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-16, 01:56 PM
You may also want to look at Divine Insight and Lore of the Gods. Both are level 2 spells that can be found in the spell compendium that boost your knowledge checks.

Reynard
2011-02-16, 02:02 PM
Crystal Mask of Knowledge?

+5 competence bonus to a specific Knowledge.

It's on the SRD.