PDA

View Full Version : Playtest a short module: Gnoll Bait!

Yahzi
2011-02-16, 05:52 AM
I wrote a short module (~10 encounters), and I would like some actual play-testing on it before I put it up at DriveThruRPG.

It's for 5th level parties, although I've included instructions on how to scale it up to 11th.

if any DMs are interested in giving it a whirl, PM me. However, I would like more feedback than I have recieved so far on my SandboxWorld generator (which is to say - virtually none!) :smalleek:

Edit: This is for D&D 3.0/3.5, and the gnolls are the bad guys.

theos911
2011-02-16, 06:03 AM
I do better with short modules than long ones as a DM; I'll have to look at it first, but I enjoy humanoid based adventures and haven't ever done a Gnoll based one. I'm definitely in as a player, and I might be able to DM, though it would be my first PbP that I've Dm'd. Could I take a look at it?

Land Outcast
2011-02-16, 07:06 AM
Certainly, there'd be no problem playtesting it; yet, I'm new to this, should it be played by a party with or without optimization? (in my group we have two modes of play, that's why I'm asking).

Yahzi
2011-02-16, 10:59 PM
PM me your emails and I'll send you the PDF.

It's intended for effective parties; if you think your party isn't optimized, then maybe 6th level would be better.

Jergmo
2011-02-17, 12:04 PM
If a playtest is being set up for a party of Playgrounders, I'd like to get in on that. Is this module for gnoll PCs, or is the main opposition comprised of gnolls?

theos911
2011-02-17, 02:54 PM
If a playtest is being set up for a party of Playgrounders, I'd like to get in on that. Is this module for gnoll PCs, or is the main opposition comprised of gnolls?

I'm guessing main enemy is gnollsYup, it's gnolls, but in the game I plan to DM, savage races are allowed. So, once I read the fluff, you could probably be a gnoll if you wish.

EDIT-Will prolly have 16 up tonight if I get emailed it today, and I finish my giant pile of homework... All honors classes :smallannoyed:

Zuljita
2011-02-17, 03:22 PM
PM sent! Look forward to seeing it.

Also, where is this world generator?

theos911
2011-02-17, 03:42 PM
You kinda didn't mention this takes place in a homebrew setting... :smallconfused:

EDIT-I think I'll just run it(the module) normally, most of the changes seem to be fluff about leveling anyway.

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-17, 03:57 PM
I'm assuming this is for D&D (because Gnolls, but you really didn't say). Which edition?

theos911
2011-02-17, 04:03 PM
I'm assuming this is for D&D (because Gnolls, but you really didn't say). Which edition?

Yes, D&D 3.5

Jergmo
2011-02-17, 06:02 PM
I'm guessing main enemy is gnolls, but in the game I plan to DM, savage races are allowed. So, once I read the fluff, you could probably be a gnoll if you wish.

EDIT-Will prolly have 16 up tonight if I get emailed it today, and I finish my giant pile of homework... All honors classes :smallannoyed:

I've always wanted to play a gnoll, and yet, at the same time, I'm having cravings for a paladin. Never played one before, unless you count NPCs.

theos911
2011-02-17, 06:41 PM
I've always wanted to play a gnoll, and yet, at the same time, I'm having cravings for a paladin. Never played one before, unless you count NPCs.

Well, I don't know this setting very well, but the area is heavy with gnolls. Since, I'm just going to run it like I normally would; I will allow for exceptions to alignment customs, so long as backstory explains why.

Edit- This definitely looks difficult for its intented level, so I may allow a partial gestalting... We'll see :smallcool:

Dust
2011-02-17, 06:50 PM
Without trying to stomp on in and pick a fight.....I think you're deviating from the intent of playtesting, Theos. Rule of thumb; If it looks difficult, run it as difficult. If the party get killed, then 'highly/too difficult in these areas' is the kind of feedback that would be helpful. I'm sure he appreciates your help, but it would probably be more useful if you didn't start house ruling the adventure.

I'm also curious about the Sandbox World Generator. I've scoured both website and blog and found nothing but lamentations for corn tortillas.

theos911
2011-02-17, 07:01 PM
Without trying to stomp on in and pick a fight.....I think you're deviating from the intent of playtesting, Theos. Rule of thumb; If it looks difficult, run it as difficult. If the party get killed, then 'highly/too difficult in these areas' is the kind of feedback that would be helpful. I'm sure he appreciates your help, but it would probably be more useful if you didn't start house ruling the adventure.

I'm also curious about the Sandbox World Generator. I've scoured both website and blog and found nothing but lamentations for corn tortillas.

In retrospect, I agree with you; the zeal of Dm'ing my first PbP game was getting the better of me.

Dust
2011-02-17, 07:27 PM
j00 can do eet. :smallbiggrin:

Jergmo
2011-02-17, 07:48 PM
A worgen Paladin would likely be pushing it unless the setting included paladins of Tyranny and Slaughter... or was insane, like my campaign, and had paladins of every alignment. :smalltongue:

theos911
2011-02-17, 07:54 PM
A worgen Paladin would likely be pushing it unless the setting included paladins of Tyranny and Slaughter... or was insane, like my campaign, and had paladins of every alignment. :smalltongue:

Yes, I allow evil paladins BUT the group must be in agreement that we are a neutral and evil party or a neutral and good party. I don't want mixing. Also, worgen?

Third-Finally finished paper, so recruit thread should be up tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Jergmo
2011-02-17, 08:10 PM
Yes, I allow evil paladins BUT the group must be in agreement that we are a neutral and evil party or a neutral and good party. I don't want mixing. Also, worgen?

Third-Finally finished paper, so recruit thread should be up tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Oh, haha, sorry. I call gnolls worgen, and style them more around worgs rather than hyenas. I felt it more fitting with the whole demonic origins bit.

theos911
2011-02-17, 09:04 PM
Oh, haha, sorry. I call gnolls worgen, and style them more around worgs rather than hyenas. I felt it more fitting with the whole demonic origins bit.

I sense a Unique character trait there :smallwink:

Jergmo
2011-02-17, 09:07 PM
I sense a Unique character trait there :smallwink:

:smallconfused:

Squally!
2011-02-17, 09:21 PM
id for sure be willing to play, or perhaps run the module w/ my group if youd like :D

theos911
2011-02-17, 09:45 PM
And aaawwwwaaayyyy weeeeee gooooooooooo!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187801)

Yahzi
2011-02-18, 01:34 AM
Sorry, its for 3.0. Doh! I should have mentioned that. Also, the gnolls are the bad guys. Again, not obvious. :smallredface:

It might be a bit difficult. Feel free to make mods and tell me what you did and how it worked out.

Yes, it is set in my homebrew; but as you noted that only affects how you hand out XP and level. So you can literally just ignore it and everything is fine.

Um... also, in my homebrew, everybody and everything gets max hps per level. So DMs might want to modify that by replacing the listed hps with an average.

I did use equipment from Ye Olde Shoppe (also homebrew-ish), which is marginally different than the standard equipment lists, but again, who cares? Their weapons do the damage shown on their char sheet. /shrug

So I think it's quite useable in 3.0 or 3.5. Other editions... I dunno.

The SandboxWorld Generator thread is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185078