PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Swash with a minor in throwing?

vageta31
2011-02-16, 03:50 PM
So I start my first d&d session this Friday and am looking for some ideas into adding throwing to my skill list. I'm not looking for a completely optimized guy or else I wouldn't be trying to be good at melee and throwing. I just have a concept for my guy that is a good two weapon fighter in melee that can do some cooling throwing stuff before he engages. He'd be wearing a bandolier full of thrown weapons, some sort of wrist/boot/thigh holsters to hold more along with his belt. I could theoretically have different types of thrown weapons in each holster(acid/fire damage stuff), even some alchemist fire and other things for the hell of it. Goal would be to take advantage of the TWF feat to do good damage outside of melee range, and then quick draw my melee weapons when I or they close in.

I'd be taking penetrating strike at 3rd rogue level which would still make my thrown SA damage work if they're denied bonus to dex. Also trying to talk DM into letting me do the Arcane Stunt ACF for swash at level one and taking expeditious retreat. Exp retreat with far shot and palm trick could do some cool stuff.

Also I'm sticking to mostly basic books including PHB II and the "complete" series. Probably no ToB since DM is new and I don't want him to get swarmed on his first time out. I'm already pushing it as it is hehe.

My guy is Human Rogue starting at level 1.

Stats:

15 str
17 dex
15 con
14 int
9 wis
7 cha

Taking point blank shot and TWF at level one. I need to be able to do some sort of range damage at level 1 so I don't end up killing myself early on hehe.

So my progression is going to be something like Rogue 3/Swash 3, maybe rogue 4 depending on how good uncanny dodge will help the build.

Rogue 1) TWF, Point blank shot, SA +1D6
Swash 1) Weapon finesse free
Rogue 2) Evasion (precise shot?)
Rogue 3) SA +2D6 (+1 dex for a +4 modifier), Penetrating strike in lieu of trapsense.
Swash 2) Grace +1
Swash 3) Insightful Strike, Daring Outlaw, SA +3D6

So at level 6 I'd have 3d6 SA from daring outlaw, +2 int and +2 str damage to any melee or thrown attack. Had originally thought to go full swash to max SA and get the extra swash stuff, but I'm liking the idea of putting some master thrower in the mix. Trick is to get all the prereqs as early as possible and with daring outlaw I'd have to wait till at least level 9. Also since my SA damage is limited to +3d6 I might be able to get DM to allow craven. With full SA he wouldn't, but since it's limited I could still get a nice damage boost from Craven on a 4-6 palm trick attack that caught opponent flat footed.

So I'm thinking fighter at level 7 and 8 to pick up the two bonus feats to hit all my prereqs and take master thrower at level 9 and get palm trick.

So I have a few questions regarding the build in general. With +6 bab does my extra main hand attack work with palm trick? Meaning TWF and extra attack do I get 6 thrown for one round? I know I lose str bonus on that trick, but I'd argue I still get my +2 int from insightful strike.

Also why does everyone go dagger instead of darts? Darts seem superior at first glance since they have longer range increment (20 vs 15), cheaper and lighter. With far shot I could effectively get full SA bonus at 30ft with no penalty to hit other than the standard TWF penalty. With daggers I'd have to be closer than 30ft to do the same. I'm guessing daggers just have more options due to magic items and such, but can you not buy magically enhanced darts as well?

I know there are better options with thri-keen and halfings, but since this is a human guy without the RoS and other books I have to make do.